[Today at 05:15:30 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Beating Bucky ugly  (Read 28333 times)

Milkshakes

• All American
Re: Beating Bucky ugly
« Reply #100 on: December 09, 2018, 07:03:27 PM »
Just watched the game again. The thing that really stands out to me is that the guys got good shots (for the most part, Markus did force some but even those are shots he can make) they just didn’t make them. Shooting is streaky and they are in a bad streak and yet are winning. If the shots start falling again they could be good. I am sure there will be some fun streaks this year.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #101 on: December 09, 2018, 07:14:03 PM »
“Between the flipping and dirty play, Davison makes me embarrassed to be a Badger fan”

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 09, 2018, 07:23:35 PM »
Not so sure about that.  On big games, they have traditionally checked student IDs before they let kids into the student section. If they sneaked in and started acting obnoxious, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the students ratted them out.

Also, if it was a stunt, wouldn't they have done it during a timeout and showed it on the Jumbotron?  IIRC correctlly, I saw it happening while there was a stoppage in play.

Usually it's a celebratory cream pie.  We won so I guess we can file it under that.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2018, 07:31:18 PM »
People should really stop worrying about what Badger fans say.

Do what I do.  Use it for entertainment purposes only.
Have some patience, FFS.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2018, 08:09:55 PM »
There’s some really entertaining posts in the game thread of their 247 board, worth the read

fjm

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2018, 08:12:37 PM »
There’s some really entertaining posts in the game thread of their 247 board, worth the read

Hook us up with the link

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2018, 08:45:36 PM »
Hook us up with the link

https://247sports.com/college/wisconsin/Board/103802/Contents/Wisconsin-Marquette-live-game-day-chat-126077495/

Lot of crying about the refs when the game was called pretty evenly, they must have forgotten the NC State Davison flop game already

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2018, 08:47:30 PM »
also Eric the Red called MU a mid major, must have forgotten their conference hasn’t won a natty since 2000 and ours has 2 of the last 3

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2018, 08:52:07 PM »
also Eric the Red called MU a mid major, must have forgotten their conference hasn’t won a natty since 2000 and ours has 2 of the last 3
That dude is an utter tool.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2018, 09:41:52 PM »

A mid-major that the Big 10 has an annual challenge with, that has their annual tournament in the arena the Big 10 had to change their entire schedule just to play in on low-major weekend, and a mid-major that has beat them three of the last four times we've seen them. If we're a mid-major, then I assume Wisconsin must be a low-major.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2018, 10:04:49 PM »
That dude is an utter tool.
you meant "udder tool" right?

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2018, 11:38:45 PM »
Not so sure about that.  On big games, they have traditionally checked student IDs before they let kids into the student section. If they sneaked in and started acting obnoxious, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the students ratted them out.

Also, if it was a stunt, wouldn't they have done it during a timeout and showed it on the Jumbotron?  IIRC correctlly, I saw it happening while there was a stoppage in play.

The thing with the pie was a total stunt.  That was during a timeout and had the camera on the jumbotron before he switched shirts, then the pie came.  It was a clear stunt, though I thought was still quite well done.

I think there were other examples of students wearing red getting kicked out of the student section.  I get why they don't want them in the student section, it's generally not a good idea.  I do hope they were able to relocate them elsewhere and they didn't have to completely leave the FF.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2018, 11:52:18 PM »
Adding to my strong dislike of John Dodds, I’m 95% sure he gave the Badger fans in front of me tickets to the game. The Badger fan had the text size on his phone set to maximum and I could see him and “John Dodds” texting back and forth. I guess it’s possible there is another a-hole out there with the name John Dodds.

Dodds gets quoted in articles saying “it’s five times bigger than the Super Bowl” (which is stupid) then gets tickets for opposing fans.

I will always dispise that man.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 07:24:24 AM by TallTitan34 »

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2018, 11:55:36 PM »

EricTheRed is a borderline psychopath. His level of self-loathing is off the charts. He made that “mid-major” jab by saying that Strickland’s game dominates against “Fla HS competition” but cant suffice against us. So, in the same breath he is ripping apart his own player while miserably failing at simple logic. Surely Florida HS stardom prepares one to play mid-major competition.

He and others go on to say that Theo John could have, probably should have been a Badger (they must’ve cooled on him) but that he is nothing special. Classic UW ex-post-facto logic. More double-talk from a conflicted fan base.

He then brings up how unwelcome MU makes Badger fans.....he even references Bill Cords rolling up the UW Hockey banners at the old Bradley Center. As if one can imagine MU banners being allowed to hang at the KOHL hole.

He chalks up the powerful Morrow rebound bucket (amongst 4 Badgers) to.....drum roll.....“crap-ass luck”.

If EricTheRed were an isolated anomaly amongst Badger fans, one could understand. However, much of the fan base exhibits similar pathology.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2018, 05:39:08 AM »
A couple thoughts I had from this game:

Joey was described somewhere on this board last year as a little bigger, a little better and a little more athletic than Sam.  I think we're starting to see this and it's gonna be good.

Ed "found himself".

Marcus needs to be more efficient himself and needs to play more of a team game.

Sam just had a Sam game.  Again.  which is no surprise at all.  I predict at least 10 more double doubles for him and it will just be the expectation.

Heldt looks injured.  He wasn't that slow last year.

When was the last MU team that played D and out-rebounded opponents? 

I'll say the same thing I said about KState... Bucky is not worthy of a 12 ranking.  That's not bias either.  I've watched them a couple times and they just aren't that good.  They'll finish 19-24 ish - probably.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2018, 06:07:51 AM »
EricTheRed is a borderline psychopath. His level of self-loathing is off the charts. He made that “mid-major” jab by saying that Strickland’s game dominates against “Fla HS competition” but cant suffice against us. So, in the same breath he is ripping apart his own player while miserably failing at simple logic. Surely Florida HS stardom prepares one to play mid-major competition.

He and others go on to say that Theo John could have, probably should have been a Badger (they must’ve cooled on him) but that he is nothing special. Classic UW ex-post-facto logic. More double-talk from a conflicted fan base.

He then brings up how unwelcome MU makes Badger fans.....he even references Bill Cords rolling up the UW Hockey banners at the old Bradley Center. As if one can imagine MU banners being allowed to hang at the KOHL hole.

He chalks up the powerful Morrow rebound bucket (amongst 4 Badgers) to.....drum roll.....“crap-ass luck”.

If EricTheRed were an isolated anomaly amongst Badger fans, one could understand. However, much of the fan base exhibits similar pathology.

Also claiming that MU went out of their way not to sell any tickets to UW fans. It’s been at least 10 years since there were any public tickets for this game. Only STHs or mini plans...

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2018, 06:58:14 AM »
The thing with the pie was a total stunt.  That was during a timeout and had the camera on the jumbotron before he switched shirts, then the pie came.  It was a clear stunt, though I thought was still quite well done.

I think there were other examples of students wearing red getting kicked out of the student section.  I get why they don't want them in the student section, it's generally not a good idea.  I do hope they were able to relocate them elsewhere and they didn't have to completely leave the FF.

Oh, I knew that the pie thing was a total stunt. I was referring to the other kids getting kicked out.

And I like the choreographed stunts and think they should do more. At Bulls games, Benny has a bit were he "accidentally" spills a 40-gallon bag of popcorn on someone in the crowd. It would be hilarious if the Golden Eagle did this every game to an unsuspecting fan of the other team.
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2018, 07:07:45 AM »
A couple thoughts I had from this game:

Joey was described somewhere on this board last year as a little bigger, a little better and a little more athletic than Sam.  I think we're starting to see this and it's gonna be good.

Ed "found himself".

Marcus needs to be more efficient himself and needs to play more of a team game.

Sam just had a Sam game.  Again.  which is no surprise at all.  I predict at least 10 more double doubles for him and it will just be the expectation.

Heldt looks injured.  He wasn't that slow last year.

When was the last MU team that played D and out-rebounded opponents? 

I'll say the same thing I said about KState... Bucky is not worthy of a 12 ranking.  That's not bias either.  I've watched them a couple times and they just aren't that good.  They'll finish 19-24 ish - probably.

Yes he was.  (And the milkman is among my favorite players.   ;D)

Let me add, I hate Bucky and some of their players (Davison) more than just about anything.  But I've got to give total props to Ethan Happ.  The dude is absolutely incredible at the collegiate level.  With the exception of free throws and a need to improve his rebounding perhaps, I can't remember seeing a big guy with that skill set.  Passes as well as most guards, runs the floor very effectively, and has the best big man footwork and soft touch that I can remember.  Truly a joy to watch.  And kudos to our guys in keeping everyone else in check because he was clearly the best player on the floor Saturday.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2018, 07:15:17 AM »
They have one stud AA,  After that, a bunch of role players and just guys.  They will really struggle without Happ next year, though Iverson may be a case of addition by subtraction.  And they are somehow expecting the #302 ranked freshman to be a major contributor.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2018, 07:30:11 AM »
They have one stud AA,  After that, a bunch of role players and just guys.  They will really struggle without Happ next year, though Iverson may be a case of addition by subtraction.  And they are somehow expecting the #302 ranked freshman to be a major contributor.

True dat.  They look like they will really struggle next year.  But we've been prematurely calling for their demise for years so there's that to consider.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2018, 08:03:58 AM »
People should really stop worrying about what Badger fans say.

And about confetti and other silliness.

We have a very good, fun-to-watch team that's very easy to root for. I can't figure out why folks are searching for negatives like effen confetti (if it even is a "negative").
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2018, 08:34:25 AM »

I'm not there yet. Trice, Davison, & Reuvers will all be juniors and they have some decent depth around them. I think Reuvers could the next in that line of Leuer/Berggren/Kaminsky/Happ bigs that contributes in multiple ways and is a star upperclassman. We should be the better team next year, but it will be on the road against a team that can compete for a NCAA bid, and when they come back to the FF they'll have an experienced squad of seniors. I think writing them off because of Happ is premature. They're in okay shape (not great, but not the total end of an era).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 10, 2018, 09:50:53 AM »
I'm not there yet. Trice, Davison, & Reuvers will all be juniors and they have some decent depth around them. I think Reuvers could the next in that line of Leuer/Berggren/Kaminsky/Happ bigs that contributes in multiple ways and is a star upperclassman. We should be the better team next year, but it will be on the road against a team that can compete for a NCAA bid, and when they come back to the FF they'll have an experienced squad of seniors. I think writing them off because of Happ is premature. They're in okay shape (not great, but not the total end of an era).

Agreed on Reuvers. He has a lot more game than I thought, and the confidence to go with it. He's gonna be a pain in our backside next year and will likely have to go small to guard him (or just have Joey do it).

2020 class is going to determine how it shakes out for both teams. Would love to get some early commits for our own 2020 class to ensure we are in good standing.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2018, 10:01:21 AM »
Oh, I knew that the pie thing was a total stunt. I was referring to the other kids getting kicked out.

And I like the choreographed stunts and think they should do more. At Bulls games, Benny has a bit were he "accidentally" spills a 40-gallon bag of popcorn on someone in the crowd. It would be hilarious if the Golden Eagle did this every game to an unsuspecting fan of the other team.

Gotcha, I misinterpreted your post then.

And agreed, I think they're well done.  A few of the Badger fans went nuts when the guy ripped off the MU shirt and had the badger shirt on underneath, but then the pie came and it was great.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2018, 10:03:48 AM »

I'm the other way, granted I have watched almost no Badger basketball this year, but that team looks like it's gonna be driving the struggle bus next year. I think they are gonna have to go back to a pure swing offense which will mitigate some of the issues but they are just not going to have much talent next year and likely the year after that.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."