[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Team Outlook  (Read 180370 times)

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: 2022 Team Outlook
« Reply #200 on: April 13, 2022, 01:50:56 PM »
I really like Ellis's potential. He is quick and he just needs strength and playing time.

Me too.  I find myself pulling for Ellis to emerge more than almost any of last year's new guys.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #201 on: April 13, 2022, 02:02:57 PM »
Joey was hyped, but Morrow was that perfect fit guy. The enforcer who could rebound (something we didn't do in 2018) and add toughness. But instead he was just a backup who never did much aside from blocking Ethan Happ and left in the middle of his second year. Had those teams been as bad as Wojo's average, he'd have been skewered, but they were Wojo's best years, so we focus more on the Hausers because of how they left and Ed gets a pass.

Don't get me wrong, team success plays a factor, but hype and expectations also do.  I guess my fear is that if Jones or Ross don't have a great year next year, which I hope isn't the case, people don't jump on the "well, I heard last summer that this guy was going to be so good and he sucked" train, and then just proceed to overhype whatever recruit we may have coming in the following year.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #202 on: April 13, 2022, 02:17:05 PM »
Don't get me wrong, team success plays a factor, but hype and expectations also do.  I guess my fear is that if Jones or Ross don't have a great year next year, which I hope isn't the case, people don't jump on the "well, I heard last summer that this guy was going to be so good and he sucked" train, and then just proceed to overhype whatever recruit we may have coming in the following year.
I admire your intent, but you cannot possibly prevent this from happening.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #203 on: April 13, 2022, 02:21:55 PM »
I admire your intent, but you cannot possibly prevent this from happening.

Prevent it altogether? No. Lessen it? I don't see why not. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #204 on: April 13, 2022, 02:23:09 PM »
no one should ever get excited about any player because you’ll inevitably be let down in some capacity.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #205 on: April 13, 2022, 02:30:21 PM »
no one should ever get excited about any player because you’ll inevitably be let down in some capacity.

Can't believe Michael Jordan didn't win 7 titles.
VIOLENCE!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #206 on: April 13, 2022, 03:16:22 PM »

I think it's an odd thing to get too wrapped up in. If we're bad, my guess is a lot more criticism will go toward the experienced players, like how this year people seemed to aim criticisms at Kur, Justin, Morsell, and Kolek rather than much at Joplin or Ellis. Next year, I imagine O-Max, Kolek, and Oso are more likely to be the criticism targets than Sean or Chase.

It's the nature of coaches and fans to hype up players. You hope for the best and hope the flashes players show translate to consistent results on the court. I don't think that will ever change.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #207 on: April 13, 2022, 03:52:12 PM »
I think it's an odd thing to get too wrapped up in. If we're bad, my guess is a lot more criticism will go toward the experienced players, like how this year people seemed to aim criticisms at Kur, Justin, Morsell, and Kolek rather than much at Joplin or Ellis. Next year, I imagine O-Max, Kolek, and Oso are more likely to be the criticism targets than Sean or Chase.

It's the nature of coaches and fans to hype up players. You hope for the best and hope the flashes players show translate to consistent results on the court. I don't think that will ever change.

Maybe, I just know that Joey had been hyped up since the day we started recruiting Sam, and even before Hausergate happened, he was experiencing a fair amount of abuse.  Vander was skewered pretty good as a 5* recruit that only averaged 5 ppg and 16% three point shooting as a freshman.  Hasn't pretty much every grad transfer been considered a wasted scholarship at some point between November and January, and we usually spend all summer hyping them up. My point is, that high school to college, or even one college to another is a big adjustment, and just because a player may have a longer adjustment period than others should not be a reason to dismiss them, and there seems to be a pretty strong correlation between pre freshman year hype and freshman year abuse received.

(Not pointing fingers at you or anyone in particular here BTW).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #208 on: April 13, 2022, 04:03:23 PM »
Maybe, I just know that Joey had been hyped up since the day we started recruiting Sam, and even before Hausergate happened, he was experiencing a fair amount of abuse.  Vander was skewered pretty good as a 5* recruit that only averaged 5 ppg and 16% three point shooting as a freshman.  Hasn't pretty much every grad transfer been considered a wasted scholarship at some point between November and January, and we usually spend all summer hyping them up. My point is, that high school to college, or even one college to another is a big adjustment, and just because a player may have a longer adjustment period than others should not be a reason to dismiss them, and there seems to be a pretty strong correlation between pre freshman year hype and freshman year abuse received.

(Not pointing fingers at you or anyone in particular here BTW).

I don’t remember much “abuse” of Vanilla Soft Serve on Scoop during his freshman year - at least not until near the very end when he became a turnover machine - but it’s possible I’m misremembering.

Vander never got much respect, though, at least not till the very end.

We’re not a patient group. Lots of condemnation of guys like Lockett, Reinhardt and even O-Max this season when they struggled early. And none of them had been exactly hyped up to the max.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #209 on: April 13, 2022, 04:09:35 PM »
i’m not down with Kolek. I prefer Mitchell from what he showed late season.
until he shows some offense or koleks passing abilty hell nah

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #210 on: April 13, 2022, 04:36:50 PM »
until he shows some offense or koleks passing abilty hell nah

Well, he has to improve in both areas to be the long term answer at point.  He was pretty bad by the end of the year.  Not saying that Mitchell is the answer, but someone else might have to be.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #211 on: April 13, 2022, 04:38:00 PM »
Hell, last year I suspected Ellis would be a player and Kam was a hanger-on. Vice versa of course.
For next year, I think Stevie will put in the work and surprise people. No inside knowledge, just based on the kind of kid he is and his track record.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #212 on: April 13, 2022, 04:48:36 PM »
I think Stevie will have a bigger impact on the program than Kam when all is said and done.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #213 on: April 13, 2022, 05:11:16 PM »
Fluff

I think Stevie is going to have a big impact as well. That said, I am very high on Kam and think he is going to have a very good college career.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #214 on: April 14, 2022, 02:21:48 PM »
Whose buying season tickets next year?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #215 on: April 14, 2022, 03:17:25 PM »
Whose buying season tickets next year?

No me  ;D
Goal is National Championship

Goose

• All American
« Reply #216 on: April 16, 2022, 01:11:01 PM »
Dr. B

I am planning on rejoining the season ticket group this season.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #217 on: April 16, 2022, 05:20:25 PM »
Shaka took a roster that on paper had no business making the NIT and led them to a 9 seed. Assuming we land Wrightsil and a Washington level transfer and lose no one else (assuming Justin is gone), next year's roster will be better on paper than last year's was before the season started. I expect another overperformance. Somewhere in the 5-8 seed realm. Coaching matters.

Year 1 saw huge developmental jumps for Lewis, Morsell, OMax, Oso, and Kolek. Kam played way above his high school ranking. Kur and Greg were about the same players they were the previous season and Mitchell, Joplin, and Ellis roughly played to their high school rankings with Mitchell/Joplin occasionally showing promise and Ellis largely underperforming.

No reason not to expect similar developmental jumps this season and at least one of the four freshmen (including Itejere) to play well above their ranking. It may not happen but the baseline has been set.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #218 on: April 16, 2022, 05:32:30 PM »
TAMU

Good summary and I agree that next year’s team will be better on paper going into the season. In addition, I think all returning guys are athletic basketball players, and not just athletic which bodes well for offseason improvement. In years past, the roster was not filled with guys that were basketball players first.  While I was not a Theo guy, he improved a great deal over his time at MU, but his ceiling was lower than the current guys returning.

As for coaching matters, I could not agree more. A second year of Shaka with the core should pay dividends this year and next year.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 05:37:28 PM by Goose »

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #219 on: April 16, 2022, 05:53:29 PM »
Shaka took a roster that on paper had no business making the NIT and led them to a 9 seed. Assuming we land Wrightsil and a Washington level transfer and lose no one else (assuming Justin is gone), next year's roster will be better on paper than last year's was before the season started. I expect another overperformance. Somewhere in the 5-8 seed realm. Coaching matters.

Year 1 saw huge developmental jumps for Lewis, Morsell, OMax, Oso, and Kolek. Kam played way above his high school ranking. Kur and Greg were about the same players they were the previous season and Mitchell, Joplin, and Ellis roughly played to their high school rankings with Mitchell/Joplin occasionally showing promise and Ellis largely underperforming.

No reason not to expect similar developmental jumps this season and at least one of the four freshmen (including Itejere) to play well above their ranking. It may not happen but the baseline has been set.

Jones was better than advertised for a Freshman
VIOLENCE!

Viper

• All American
« Reply #220 on: April 16, 2022, 06:16:13 PM »

are you saying that the team isn’t bad…not great, but not bad, but w/over-performance (again) and with your confidence in Shaka as a coach, MU should be a 5-8? On the other side, without over performing, is MU still a ncaa tourney team (9-12 seed) or more likely NIT?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #221 on: April 16, 2022, 06:20:23 PM »
Overperforming is the operative concept.  How much improvement and development is it reasonable to expect.?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #222 on: April 17, 2022, 11:19:59 AM »
Kolek/Jones
Jones/Mitchell/Ellis
Prosper/Ross
Wrightsil/Joplin/Itejere
Ighodaro/Gold

That's where we stand as of right now. Warren Washington would be a nice addition, but I'm also looking at the guards and noticing we don't have a veteran bucket getter. Still think Washington is probably the primary target but it wouldn't surprise me to see them pivot to a veteran scorer at the guard spot.
VIOLENCE!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #223 on: April 17, 2022, 11:31:28 AM »
A year ago, the 21-22 team didn't have a veteran bucket getter, either.    I am worried more about the rebounding.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #224 on: April 17, 2022, 11:38:05 AM »
Kolek/Jones
Jones/Mitchell/Ellis
Prosper/Ross
Wrightsil/Joplin/Itejere
Ighodaro/Gold

That's where we stand as of right now. Warren Washington would be a nice addition, but I'm also looking at the guards and noticing we don't have a veteran bucket getter. Still think Washington is probably the primary target but it wouldn't surprise me to see them pivot to a veteran scorer at the guard spot.

Adding Washington would go a long way towards making me feel better about next year. I think that, realistically, as it stands, we're a solid team and probably on or around the bubble.  Washington, due to his strengths and our current weaknesses, would go a long way towards improving us