[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[May 05, 2024, 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why a weak Non-Conference Schedule ?  (Read 3182 times)

Marquette_Fan

• Scholarship Player
  • 1977 Championship Victory - Bo Ellis
Why a weak Non-Conference Schedule ?
« on: December 05, 2010, 07:14:10 AM »
Hello everyone.

I just signed up for MuScoop. Been a Marquette fan since 1988. Even though I was born in 1976 I know the classic old school 1977 Championship team by heart. Also I'm familiar with all the players throughout history.

Anyway, I wanted to ask why do they year after year play a weak non-conference schedule ? Now I know they played Duke and Gonzaga in the Auto Parts classic and of course Wisconsin is coming up. Overall though they schedule the Longwoods of the world all the time.

I was at the Longwood game and of course it was fun to watch them win by 30+ points. Wouldn't it be better though if they schedule more major non-conf games like against Big Ten teams ?

I think this will better prepare them for the Big East season. Also, I think if they played an overall tougher non-conf schedule it will maybe make them return to their Al McGuire glory days and have them contend for the national title and be a top 10 team every season.

Any thoughts anyone ?

Sorry for rambling on.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Why a weak Non-Conference Schedule ?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 07:33:38 AM »
They need to schedule these guaranty games because they need a significant number of home games and the revenue it produces.  I agree that I would like to see tougher opponents but that means more road games.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 07:41:12 AM »
Without looking at the numbers, I would say this is one of the better non-con schedules we have had in awhile. We will see though, once it is all said and done.

Marquette_Fan

• Scholarship Player
  • 1977 Championship Victory - Bo Ellis
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 07:44:44 AM »
Thanks Sultan. That makes perfect sense. Thank you for your help.

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 08:20:33 AM »
check out the past schedules, MU plays a lot more ranked teams now than they did in the 70s.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 08:30:48 AM »
Revenue games are key to the programs success from a money standpoint.  I can assure you that the Athletic Department looks very closely at RPI ratings when booking the games.  They try to slot teams with RPIs that won't hurt MU post season chances at the end of the year while still insuring enough victories to make the NCAA.  Making the tourney is the overriding goal for each season.  There's a MU formula for how to do that.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 08:43:23 AM »
To add to this thread - The reason you can't play many games against other high profile teams beyond about 4-5 per pre-conference season, is that you have to do home and homes.  Some of the top flight, flagship programs - UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas - will not even return a game back to a school like MU.  Now go a little further down the pecking order, and yes...we can get a return game - but in this every other year scenario you are losing a revenue opportunity at home.  This is huge at a school like MU where Men's Basketball is the ONLY revenue producing sport.  With Title 9 - it must fund all other men's and women's varsity sports teams.

Lastly, considering the depth in the Big East, and the number of games you get against Top 25 within the conference alone - you can almost count on 4-8 losses per season within the conference.  You start scheduling 8 pre-conference games against other top 25 teams..might lose another 4-5..which could put you between 8 and 13 losses per season.  Get much above that 10 loss threshold and you are starting to become a bubble team..and certainly won't get much higher than a 6 seed in the tourney.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 09:25:30 AM »
They need to schedule these guaranty games because they need a significant number of home games and the revenue it produces.  I agree that I would like to see tougher opponents but that means more road games.

Guarantee?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 11:59:13 AM »
Next year, MU has Wisconsin, Vandy and LSU as H/H. I think they play in the Paradise Jam as well.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 12:18:21 PM »
Wisconsin, @Vandy, Duke and Gonzaga on Neutral floors =/= weak non-conference schedule

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 07:45:54 PM »
Without looking at the numbers, I would say this is one of the better non-con schedules we have had in awhile. We will see though, once it is all said and done.

I agree.  NO HIGHJACKING, but look at Indiana's nonconference. 
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 07:49:10 PM »
anyone know the teams in next years preseason tourney?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 11:06:42 PM »
I agree.  NO HIGHJACKING, but look at Indiana's nonconference. 

Or Syracuse... not out of New York until January 8... or Pittsburgh, who doesn't play a road game until January 4...
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 06:26:59 AM »
anyone know the teams in next years preseason tourney?

8-team Paradise Jam men's field includes MU, Drake, Drexel, Mississippi, Norfolk State, TCU, Virginia and Winthrop.  Held Nov. 18-21

Women also in the Virgin Islands for the Jam on Nov. 24-26:  MU, UCONN, Prairie View and Texas A&M's