[Today at 08:37:20 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JTJ3
[Today at 06:35:06 AM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Boats  (Read 3278 times)

Bad_Reporter

• All American
Boats
« on: April 11, 2021, 08:07:07 AM »
So, I’ve been around boats my whole life. I sold my Crownline bow rider last year and actually made a profit!  Well now I’m getting the itch again.  Long story short, I put 3 offers in on some cabin’s and lost out on all of them. 

Discouraged, I thought, what If I bought a larger boat and could use that as my “cabin”. The appeal of going to Chicago, Michigan, Door County, and getting to go downtown more seems like a win/win. 

I have no experience in boats of this size 35’+

Anyone here have experience in equipment like this?  I see you can get a saltwater boat for half the price, but then I assume you’re dealing with corrosion issues.

Thanks in advance

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Boats
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 11:22:20 AM »
So, I’ve been around boats my whole life. I sold my Crownline bow rider last year and actually made a profit!  Well now I’m getting the itch again.  Long story short, I put 3 offers in on some cabin’s and lost out on all of them. 

Discouraged, I thought, what If I bought a larger boat and could use that as my “cabin”. The appeal of going to Chicago, Michigan, Door County, and getting to go downtown more seems like a win/win. 

Anyone here have experience in equipment like this?  I see you can get a saltwater boat for half the price, but then I assume you’re dealing with corrosion issues.

Thanks in advance

As an aviator you should know better. The Fighter Pilot Rule Book clearly outlines the Three F Rule: If it Floats, Flies, or F#cks it's cheaper to rent.

If you are determined to break Article I of this sacrosanct law then I would say:

1. Sail is better than Stinkpot
2. Comfort is better than speed
3. Spacious galley
4. Ample stowage forward
5. Spacious cockpit because this is where you will spend your time asea
6. Raised deck for cabin light
7. Deep fin is better than shallow draft
8. Reverse transom
9. Broken in is better than new
10. Inspect the power plant before you buy

While I have advised young fighter pilots of the necessity of adhering to the Three F Rule of Life I am a triple offender having owned both a Morgan and Yamaha as well as a Stearman biplane.

We are refugees from the stinking morass that is downtown Seattle and now live in a great water community. I am negotiating to buy a Beneteau 50 which is berthed here in Gig Harbor. Beautiful lines, razor sharp, and blue water capable.

What you get depends on budget, taste, and how you will use it. The beauty/problem of/with the Great Lakes is that they mimic blue water atmospherics. The biggest drawback that I can think of is seasonality. Here in Puget Sound one can sail year-round comfortably. I can't imagine being on Lake Michigan in January...

Call me if you want to discuss.

Death on call

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 01:29:45 PM »
Grady White.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 01:30:04 PM »
As an aviator you should know better. The Fighter Pilot Rule Book clearly outlines the Three F Rule: If it Floats, Flies, or F#cks it's cheaper to rent.

If you are determined to break Article I of this sacrosanct law then I would say:

1. Sail is better than Stinkpot
2. Comfort is better than speed
3. Spacious galley
4. Ample stowage forward
5. Spacious cockpit because this is where you will spend your time asea
6. Raised deck for cabin light
7. Deep fin is better than shallow draft
8. Reverse transom
9. Broken in is better than new
10. Inspect the power plant before you buy

While I have advised young fighter pilots of the necessity of adhering to the Three F Rule of Life I am a triple offender having owned both a Morgan and Yamaha as well as a Stearman biplane.

We are refugees from the stinking morass that is downtown Seattle and now live in a great water community. I am negotiating to buy a Beneteau 50 which is berthed here in Gig Harbor. Beautiful lines, razor sharp, and blue water capable.

What you get depends on budget, taste, and how you will use it. The beauty/problem of/with the Great Lakes is that they mimic blue water atmospherics. The biggest drawback that I can think of is seasonality. Here in Puget Sound one can sail year-round comfortably. I can't imagine being on Lake Michigan in January...

Call me if you want to discuss.

11.  Fore and aft livewells.
12.  Electric downriggers
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 01:32:29 PM by real chili 83 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 01:52:45 PM »
No advice for you, BR, but really looking forward to your first big Sooop yacht party!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 02:54:09 PM »
Midnight madness on the boat? He'll ya

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 04:33:37 PM »
I need a friend who has a boat.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 04:37:32 PM »
Hey, your dinghy scratched my anchor!

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 04:42:09 PM »
11.  Fore and aft livewells.
12.  Electric downriggers

13. Babes
14. Tops Optional

Death on call

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 07:15:35 PM »
15. Joystick control

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 10:54:52 PM »
16. Nothing to add, but I wanted to make it look like I was contributing.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 02:16:06 AM »
Buy one of these, rent it out for $500 2x daily (2.5 hour tours), buy your cabin.

https://www.hammacher.com/product/hot-tub-boat
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 02:23:19 AM by rocky_warrior »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2021, 07:08:26 AM »
Killer Whales have been attacking boats recently which have befuddled scientists.  They may collectively have had enough with us humans.  And we know information travels thousands of miles between them across all of our oceans.  They are also crazy smart and will have a myriad of ways to attack and win.  Now, this may not be a Jaws "The Revenge" situation where you're not safe on land and they knock on your front door, but I would be a little leery buying a boat.  :)

Oh and yes, Tillikum did drown that trainer years ago at Sea World.  He simply had enough of their bcrap.   I would be on Defcon 1 alert at those stupid  "Sea Aquariums".  Let them free. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 07:17:10 AM by MuggsyB »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2021, 08:01:40 AM »
I need a friend who has a boat.

Best boats in the world. We call them OPBs down here, Other People's Boats.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2021, 08:04:19 AM »

Thanks in advance

Seriously, upkeep on those size boats can be very expensive. Much like an RV, you are combining a house and a car.....badly. More things to take care of, more things to break. Bottom cleaning, yearly take out, storage, etc. all add up.  I managed a 42' boat. Seemed like there was always something breaking or needing replacement and constant maintenance.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 08:56:29 AM »
My theory is not unlike Keefe's: if you've got enough money to buy a boat (or a vacation house), you have enough money to rent a boat (or a vacation house). It's a hell of a lot less work and also affords a lot more variety.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 09:35:11 AM »
My theory is not unlike Keefe's: if you've got enough money to buy a boat (or a vacation house), you have enough money to rent a boat (or a vacation house). It's a hell of a lot less work and also affords a lot more variety.

Here in Seattle you can rent a boat for specific periods of time, ranging from an afternoon to a couple months. And they have a wide range of vessels to meet the variety of situations. Eliminates the money pit factor as well as the maintenance and upkeep. Most importantly, once you dock you hand the lines over to the hands and you are on your way to the next adventure.

I would look at that more closely if we hadn't moved to the South Sound. It takes more planning than it did when we lived downtown.

I am looking at a boat now but my better half thinks a place in Bend would be more practical so we'll see how that turns out.

Death on call

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 09:40:50 AM »
As stated above, boat clubs are popping up in the Midwest the past couple of years where you pay a membership like a country club. The boat sizes may vary by the size of the body of water.

This is one with a MKE location but one advantage to these clubs is you can try different bodies of water.

https://carefreeboats.com/locations/wisconsin/milwaukee/

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2021, 11:22:41 AM »
As stated above, boat clubs are popping up in the Midwest the past couple of years where you pay a membership like a country club. The boat sizes may vary by the size of the body of water.

This is one with a MKE location but one advantage to these clubs is you can try different bodies of water.

https://carefreeboats.com/locations/wisconsin/milwaukee/

I looked in to that once .. https://www.godownsize.com/freedom-carefree-boat-clubs-compared/

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2021, 12:05:55 PM »
Killer Whales have been attacking boats recently which have befuddled scientists.  They may collectively have had enough with us humans.  And we know information travels thousands of miles between them across all of our oceans.  They are also crazy smart and will have a myriad of ways to attack and win.  Now, this may not be a Jaws "The Revenge" situation where you're not safe on land and they knock on your front door, but I would be a little leery buying a boat.  :)

Oh and yes, Tillikum did drown that trainer years ago at Sea World.  He simply had enough of their bcrap.   I would be on Defcon 1 alert at those stupid  "Sea Aquariums".  Let them free.

Stupid whales missed than walrus though.  MUWhale isn't posting about that MFer.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2021, 02:10:48 PM »
Stupid whales missed than walrus though.  MUWhale isn't posting about that MFer.

????  Why are you mad at Walruses Ziggy?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2021, 02:11:18 PM »
????  Why are you mad at Walruses Ziggy?

I'm not.  Giving props to the great walrus.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2021, 02:15:22 PM »
Here in Seattle you can rent a boat for specific periods of time, ranging from an afternoon to a couple months. And they have a wide range of vessels to meet the variety of situations. Eliminates the money pit factor as well as the maintenance and upkeep. Most importantly, once you dock you hand the lines over to the hands and you are on your way to the next adventure.

I would look at that more closely if we hadn't moved to the South Sound. It takes more planning than it did when we lived downtown.

I am looking at a boat now but my better half thinks a place in Bend would be more practical so we'll see how that turns out.

I can tell you now how that will turn out, kin, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2021, 02:17:44 PM »
I'm not.  Giving props to the great walrus.

Okay.  Good.  I guess I misunderstood.  :)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2021, 02:18:30 PM »
Giving props to the great walrus.

Whoa whoa whoa....are you saying you are going to run over a walrus with your motorboat???!!!???
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback