[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8542342 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 10/15/17
« Reply #10000 on: October 13, 2017, 10:50:13 PM »
QG has never been a wild crazy dream. Still isn't. Still could go a number of ways.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #10001 on: October 13, 2017, 10:52:09 PM »
If Walter wanted to continue his basketball career at Marquette he had every chance to.  He simply had to live up to the expectations that the rest of the team had to live up to in order to earn the privilege of a full scholarship to play basketball at Marquette.  He chose not to.  Even after choosing not to, he could've had a full scholarship to high jump, something he was far better at than basketball.  Again, he chose not to.
That is MU side of it ( Which I actually agree with).  That is why these things get ugly as Ellenson family had selected hearing. DJ Newbill/ Jamil Wilson another example.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10002 on: October 13, 2017, 10:54:41 PM »
Really?

I love XYZ University. I give my all. I go to class and get good grades. I am a great teammate. I make a total commitment. The coach nonetheless recruits over me and tells me to take a hike. So I take a hike to ZYX State, a lower-leverl D1 school. And I have to sit out a year?

Does this seem fair to any Scooper?
Well, at least you gave it your all...hold your head high bucko!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #10003 on: October 13, 2017, 10:56:39 PM »
QG has never been a wild crazy dream. Still isn't. Still could go a number of ways.
The way I look at it, he has two paths . 1. Blue Blood 2. Program he can play immediately at.  Under scenario two, we are temporarily aligned with Shaka as he is making that case. Then we have to make the case we are the best of the two. That will come down to relationship with teammates, and a special feeling he gets from our program. We know he has pre existing relationship with Texas teammates. We close the deal with parents who get the wow factor from meeting University President etc  which overcomes objection of going away to an unknown setting.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10004 on: October 13, 2017, 11:22:40 PM »
Great stuff as usual, TAMU.

If a player is "strongly urged" to transfer to make room on the roster - a situation that could fit either us or Kansas when it comes to Grimes - would that player have to sit out a year?

If a player is "run out," he wouldn't have to, right?

If that's true (and I don't know if it is; that's why I'm asking!), why would a player who wants to play right away not just let himself get run out rather than transfer? Pride?

When I say transfer I mean a player without any prodding says "I want to go somewhere else."

When I say run off a player I mean a coach has a frank conversation with a player and says "son, you aren't getting any playing time next year." And then the player decides to transfer.

I know Jay Bee has hinted about players whose scholarships aren't renewed getting certain protections, but I honestly don't know what they are. I'm not sure what the distinctions are. I'm sure Jay Bee could explain.

My personal view, and I believe we disagree on this, is that scholarships are one year agreements that have to be earned. Student athletes compete for basketball scholarships and there are only 13 to go around. Just like regular students compete for internships, grants, scholarships, etc. If someone else beats you out....that's how the world works. Basketball scholarship is a privilege, not a right.

Now what happens after that, to sit out or not sit out, that's another question, one I can see both sides of.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #10005 on: October 13, 2017, 11:46:03 PM »
I'll talk to Malik Newman tomorrow.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10006 on: October 13, 2017, 11:51:12 PM »
Ed Cooley, Providence just picked up their second top 50 pledge in David Duke. Heck of a class for the Friars.

Providence: the new Georgetown?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10007 on: October 14, 2017, 12:23:06 AM »
I'll talk to Malik Newman tomorrow.

Dish with the connects!

I could see Newman wanting to go pro after this season. He was a top 10 prospect and he's not getting any younger. But the NBA doesn't tend to look kindly on 21 year old 6-3 SGs. He would have to have a monster year and primarily play the point to get drafted IMHO. It just seems like another Vander Blue situation.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10008 on: October 14, 2017, 07:07:37 AM »
Can we please not rehash Wally Ellenson in here again? That discussion is done and dusted.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #10009 on: October 14, 2017, 07:28:35 AM »
Who?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10010 on: October 14, 2017, 08:08:35 AM »
Really?

I love XYZ University. I give my all. I go to class and get good grades. I am a great teammate. I make a total commitment. The coach nonetheless recruits over me and tells me to take a hike. So I take a hike to ZYX State, a lower-leverl D1 school. And I have to sit out a year?

Does this seem fair to any Scooper?

What you simply have to remember 82 is that scholarships are annually renewed and always have been.  Now look.  The 13th man getting zero minutes is going to want to leave anyway. TAMU was spot on.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 08:10:56 AM by jsglow »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10011 on: October 14, 2017, 08:13:09 AM »
The way I look at it, he has two paths . 1. Blue Blood 2. Program he can play immediately at.  Under scenario two, we are temporarily aligned with Shaka as he is making that case. Then we have to make the case we are the best of the two. That will come down to relationship with teammates, and a special feeling he gets from our program. We know he has pre existing relationship with Texas teammates. We close the deal with parents who get the wow factor from meeting University President etc  which overcomes objection of going away to an unknown setting.

Everything I've heard is he has no real love for Texas.  I almost think of it like his safety choice.  Could be wrong.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10012 on: October 14, 2017, 08:28:03 AM »
If Walter wanted to continue his basketball career at Marquette he had every chance to.  He simply had to live up to the expectations that the rest of the team had to live up to in order to earn the privilege of a full scholarship to play basketball at Marquette.  He chose not to.  Even after choosing not to, he could've had a full scholarship to high jump, something he was far better at than basketball.  Again, he chose not to.

+100

Without going down the rabbit hole, let me add that with the exception of the selective listening Ellenson family, that train of logic can easily be understood by any recruit looking at our program.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #10013 on: October 14, 2017, 08:39:14 AM »
Dish with the connects!

I could see Newman wanting to go pro after this season. He was a top 10 prospect and he's not getting any younger. But the NBA doesn't tend to look kindly on 21 year old 6-3 SGs. He would have to have a monster year and primarily play the point to get drafted IMHO. It just seems like another Vander Blue situation.

Malik is a great young man, my son and I will see him in Chicago next month for the Champions Classic and we're supposed to go to Lawrence for the Arizona State game in December. Been trying to finalize details with him, and owe him a FaceTime conversation.

Knowing him, he'll do what he did after his frosh year at Mississippi St, he'll test the waters. If he has a big year though, he'll declare.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #10014 on: October 14, 2017, 08:55:36 AM »
+100

Without going down the rabbit hole, let me add that with the exception of the selective listening Ellenson family, that train of logic can easily be understood by any recruit looking at our program.

I'll just say it was a Harry situation.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10015 on: October 14, 2017, 09:04:51 AM »
I think the Dotson timing is important here. I don't care how mature Grimes is.  Any 18 year old kid is going to think his thunder was stolen. I can actually hear his mom saying 'Honey, these things happen.' in their hotel room.  Now that can pass and he might still go there but remember his reaction to AZ a couple months back.  Just my instinct clearly remembering teenage kids.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #10016 on: October 14, 2017, 09:17:54 AM »
The interesting aspect is what does this say about Dotson's relationship with Grimes. I doubt it was an accident that Dotson picked the Friday night of Grimes' visit to announce; what message was he trying to send?
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #10017 on: October 14, 2017, 09:24:26 AM »
Yep, Dotson stuck it to QG. If this plays out, I can see some effort to get Kansas on the schedule   

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10018 on: October 14, 2017, 09:36:25 AM »
Yep, Dotson stuck it to QG. If this plays out, I can see some effort to get Kansas on the schedule

Nah, but maybe a Thanksgiving tourney somewhere.

Look, I personally think it's way more likely that Grimes is pissed right now that that he is all excited with last night's announcement.  I don't follow twitter but peeked at his this morning.  He's said nothing since 'Lawrence!' on Thursday.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #10019 on: October 14, 2017, 09:43:56 AM »
Nah, but maybe a Thanksgiving tourney somewhere.

Look, I personally think it's way more likely that Grimes is pissed right now that that he is all excited with last night's announcement.  I don't follow twitter but peeked at his this morning.  He's said nothing since 'Lawrence!' on Thursday.

He hasn't tweeted anything during any of his visits other than the town name.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #10020 on: October 14, 2017, 09:52:28 AM »

I'd love to see that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10021 on: October 14, 2017, 10:39:33 AM »
He hasn't tweeted anything during any of his visits other than the town name.

Work with me here brother!  ;D

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #10022 on: October 14, 2017, 11:14:15 AM »
Grimes snap chatted once 2 weekends ago on his trip to Kentucky, himself looking bored as hell in either a dorm or hotel. Last week he was snapping a fair amount while in Colorado for USA basketball (including with Herro...package deal to MU?). Thursday he started snapping constantly. That night it looked like he was having dinner with maybe some extended family (looked like it was at a house but didn’t see any people I could identify as associated with Kansas)? I know his mom went to Kansas, is she from there? Could he have family living in Lawrence? Anyway, he was snapping constantly yesterday. The half court at the players dorms, their trophy case, in the Phog, videos of him, Self, and others on a patio in the players dorm, etc.

I don’t think the Dotson commit pisses him off one bit or is a message from Dotson, I don’t think Quickely’s decision does one thing to steer him away from Kentucky, and I don’t think he ends up at Texas. If I had to guess I’d say Kansas is head and shoulders in the lead, Kentucky and Marquette tied at a distant second, and Texas in there to make the home state people happy like UW always is for the Tokotos and Stones of the world.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10023 on: October 14, 2017, 11:29:48 AM »
Dis makes scents. Udderwise, I’m gettin’ out da old ouija board, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #10024 on: October 14, 2017, 11:30:21 AM »
Nah, you know Grimes has thought about the Dotson commitment, it's just natural to do so.

Plus this is the same kid who tweeted "4" after the Arizona kid committed.

feedback