* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel  (Read 222239 times)

Eye

• All American
Re: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #1225 on: April 07, 2021, 12:43:42 PM »
Agreed ND. U of A my 2nd-fav team after MU. Hoping a change that should've been made two years ago creates the big negative to positive energy change that Smart has done for MU. Between the cheating, probation and more-and-more games being moved to the Pac 10 Network, my interest in U of A basketball has gone WAY down in the past few years.
GO WARRIORS!

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #1226 on: April 07, 2021, 12:54:16 PM »
Miller fired a couple years too late. Another reminder that Mark Emmert is a complete ass and the NCAA is a joke.

Seriously. 

And Will Wade says hi.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1227 on: April 07, 2021, 01:00:16 PM »

Yeah. So much for Covid giving coaches a break this season.

It's not as bad as it might seem.

2 of those (UNC, OK) are retirements, not firings
3 of those (TX, TTU, MN) are because the coaches left for new jobs
2 of those (PSU, AZ) are because off the court scandals
3 of those (DPL, BC, NM) had buyouts less than $1.5 million
2 of those (IU and MU) had donors pony up the buyout

That leaves IAST currently as the lone opening where the school paid a multi-million dollar buyout without donor help or scandal....and Prohm was coming off 2 consecutive losing seasons including 2-22 this season.

There are some other coaches that have gotten a COVID reprieve for now...looking at you Bruce Weber

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #1228 on: April 07, 2021, 01:24:54 PM »

That leaves IAST currently as the lone opening where the school paid a multi-million dollar buyout without donor help or scandal....and Prohm was coming off 2 consecutive losing seasons including 2-22 this season.

There are some other coaches that have gotten a COVID reprieve for now...looking at you Bruce Weber

MN was vacated due to a firing. The coach just happened to find a job after that.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1229 on: April 07, 2021, 01:44:02 PM »
MN was vacated due to a firing. The coach just happened to find a job after that.

TX too, almost certainly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1230 on: April 07, 2021, 01:49:11 PM »
Miller fired a couple years too late. Another reminder that Mark Emmert is a complete ass and the NCAA is a joke.

the NCAA can't order a coach fired. They also weren't allowed access to the FBI investigations until 2019 and something happened in early 2020 when the NCAA had investigators (who don't have subpoena power) on the ground in Tuscon that slowed things down a bit.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1231 on: April 07, 2021, 01:51:41 PM »

I wasn't just referring to the high buyouts. Many seemed to feel that they strangeness of the season (restrictions in practices, COVID 'pauses', etc) might give guys a relatively free pass, regardless of the buyout issue. That clearly didn't turn out to be true. And MN was a firing...and TX might have been too if MU had hesitated long enough.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #1232 on: April 07, 2021, 01:55:09 PM »
the NCAA can't order a coach fired. They also weren't allowed access to the FBI investigations until 2019 and something happened in early 2020 when the NCAA had investigators (who don't have subpoena power) on the ground in Tuscon that slowed things down a bit.
Ok so, keep up the bang up job NCAA
No Finish Line

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1233 on: April 07, 2021, 02:16:29 PM »
TX too, almost certainly.

Shaka wasn't getting fired.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1234 on: April 07, 2021, 02:28:40 PM »

I’m not so sure based on how quickly Beard was hired. I wouldn’t be surprised if once Texas lost, there were some discussions with Beard’s people.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1235 on: April 07, 2021, 02:51:38 PM »

Missed Utah firing.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1236 on: April 07, 2021, 03:22:18 PM »

Keep carrying that water

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1237 on: April 07, 2021, 03:27:15 PM »

You seem very certain of that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1238 on: April 07, 2021, 03:48:25 PM »

Who knows. Some of our most prolific posters were certain Wojo wasn’t getting canned. At least one went so far as saying his return was a FACT, not an opinion.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1239 on: April 07, 2021, 03:52:25 PM »
Who knows. Some of our most prolific posters were certain Wojo wasn’t getting canned. At least one went so far as saying his return was a FACT, not an opinion.

To be fair, you can only predict what the Athletic department will do with their budget. Cant predict what donors will do.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1240 on: April 07, 2021, 03:53:23 PM »
Missed Utah firing.

True, I was going off the list someone posted earlier.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1241 on: April 07, 2021, 03:55:56 PM »

Just relying on what's been reported by several in the know.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1243 on: April 07, 2021, 04:51:56 PM »

For what it’s worth, everything I have heard is that Beard was targeted by Texas to be its Head Coach long before Smart left.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1244 on: April 07, 2021, 05:10:00 PM »

For what it’s worth, everything I have heard is that Beard was targeted by Texas to be its Head Coach long before Smart left.

It is Beard's dream job, and since Marquette was there to take Shaka off their hands, the timeline worked out.

Had Marquette waited another year before firing Wojo and hiring Shaka (or another suitor showed up), I have zero doubt that Shaka would still be coaching basketball in Texas.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1246 on: April 07, 2021, 06:18:15 PM »
I think many underestimated the lengths schools are willing to go through, even in a pandemic or facing financial uncertainty, in order to boost fan morale and/or help turn around struggling programs.

Last Spring, it was clear schools were staying clear of making changes.  Not only are we seeing two years worth of changes occur in the immediate term, but many high major changes are occurring as well - with more possible (Cincinnati).

Bottom line, successful and winning programs bring interest, donations, applications and awareness to a university. For the proven programs, there will always be a way to eat a contract because the potential return of investment with a strong replacement will not only pay for itself, but provide strong value and return in the long-term.

Glad our school faced reality and had a donor, or donors, ready to support and initiate a necessary change. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1247 on: April 07, 2021, 06:38:26 PM »
I think a lot of schools are in better financial shape than we think, and a lot of donors have capital gains to get rid of.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1248 on: April 07, 2021, 07:10:43 PM »
I think many underestimated the lengths schools are willing to go through, even in a pandemic or facing financial uncertainty, in order to boost fan morale and/or help turn around struggling programs.

Last Spring, it was clear schools were staying clear of making changes.  Not only are we seeing two years worth of changes occur in the immediate term, but many high major changes are occurring as well - with more possible (Cincinnati).

Bottom line, successful and winning programs bring interest, donations, applications and awareness to a university. For the proven programs, there will always be a way to eat a contract because the potential return of investment with a strong replacement will not only pay for itself, but provide strong value and return in the long-term.

Glad our school faced reality and had a donor, or donors, ready to support and initiate a necessary change.

Very nice summary emphasizing the business decisions- return on investment, being realistic and looking at the long term investment vs. short term buyout, etc. I founded a small manufacturing company so I have had first hand experience with many of the points you made. And a huge thank you to the donor(s) for coming up with the buyout money. I was losing hope just before Wojo was fired and in my mind was convinced that Marquette basketball would be on life support if he was given another year. Imagine this off season with the new transfer rules on the horizon and Wojo staying on. How scary is that thought?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 07:12:37 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.