* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel  (Read 222232 times)

fjm

• All American
Re: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #1125 on: April 03, 2021, 09:11:03 AM »
I’m more surprised he was willing to commute to Oklahoma daily or stay in a condo on late nights before driving back to Chicago!

820 miles each way. That’s commitment. Good luck to porter and Oklahoma.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1126 on: April 03, 2021, 09:16:52 AM »
I’m more surprised he was willing to commute to Oklahoma daily or stay in a condo on late nights before driving back to Chicago!

820 miles each way. That’s commitment. Good luck to porter and Oklahoma.

Deep-pocketed OU boosters building a high-speed rail link from Norman to Wilmette?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1127 on: April 03, 2021, 09:28:30 AM »

Deep-pocketed OU boosters building a high-speed rail link from Norman to Wilmette?

The Boomer Sooner on track 1

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1128 on: April 03, 2021, 09:32:26 AM »
This reminds me of hearing people claim Anthony Davis and Zion Williamson loved school so much, they wouldn’t turn pro right away.  Also, Jon Gruden’s wife is from Tennessee
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1129 on: April 03, 2021, 09:34:31 AM »
People wondering why Moser would take the Oklahoma position. One thing that helps a lot is Joe Castiglione. He is one of the better AD’s in the country. And that matters in these situations.

Keep thinking about this... One of the better AD's in the country hires Moser... Coulda been ours. Will be interesting to follow for sure.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1130 on: April 03, 2021, 09:57:38 AM »
I think he has a better chance of succeeding at OU than Indiana.  Big XII is a meat grinder, though.

OU likes their basketball, but they like their football more; whereas if IU didn't have a football team not many would care except for the big money it brings from TV.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1131 on: April 03, 2021, 11:14:11 AM »
OU likes their basketball, but they like their football more; whereas if IU didn't have a football team not many would care except for the big money it brings from TV.
Plus, OU is a JUCO academically and has deep pockets for sports, kind of like Louisville. Great spot for a coach.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1132 on: April 03, 2021, 11:58:47 AM »
Good Article on Drew Valentine promoted from within to Become Loyola's New Head Coach. Comes from a great basketball family. I think the Ramblers will be in good stead for the future.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/loyola-is-in-talks-with-drew-valentine-to-take-over-as-coach-after-porter-moser-s-departure-to-oklahoma/ar-BB1fgzch?ocid=uxbndlbing
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1133 on: April 03, 2021, 12:47:47 PM »
Keep thinking about this... One of the better AD's in the country hires Moser... Coulda been ours. Will be interesting to follow for sure.

I think he can do well, if the OU fans buy into the very different style of basketball and are patient enough to recruit the kinds of players that work well in it.

If they expect instant results, his seat could warm up in a hurry.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1134 on: April 03, 2021, 12:50:12 PM »
You are (unintentionally perhaps) illustrating my point. Some people seem surprised he would take OU but not surprised he would take MUBB.

OU has a good basketball history. They play in a Power 5 League. They have $$$ resources. They have a well respected AD. They won't be taking MVC bus trips any time soon.

We agree. Both Oklahoma and Marquette are very good jobs.

As others have pointed out, the only thing that has really surprised most people is that Moser supposedly was so adamant about staying in or near Chicago that he was willing to remain in a decidedly "lesser" job to do so.

I look forward to seeing how he does at Oklahoma.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1135 on: April 03, 2021, 01:39:10 PM »
Moser may or may not be successful at Oklahoma. He had a choice to continue to try to dominate his league and stay at Loyola. Or he could go to a well supported Power 5 program and try to win there.

Let's look at Mark Few, whom many consider one of the most successful non Power 5/Big East coaches out there, and, deservedly so.

It was not until Few's 16th season at Gonzaga that he has won in the NCAA Tourney at his current level. Prior to that he made 4 NCAA Sweet 16's in 15 seasons, which is very good but not this current level of good. Two of those came very early as a double digit seeds, 10 and 12 underdogs. And, two of those came by defeating double digit NCAA Seeds twice. 14 and 16 seeds, and 13 and 12 seeds.

Few was good at dominating his league, and league tourney and getting the type of result needed when he needed it. 12 of 15 NCAA first round wins in those first 15 seasons there.

And of course after those first 15 years for Few, Gonzaga has become more of a National Power since.

It isn't easy.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #1136 on: April 03, 2021, 02:18:55 PM »
Lon Kruger was a damn good coach...will be surprised if Moser can keep the program at that level.  Wilmette doesn't do much for me...but I can't think of a state I'd hate to live in more than OK.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1137 on: April 03, 2021, 02:22:27 PM »
Lon Kruger was a damn good coach...will be surprised if Moser can keep the program at that level.  Wilmette doesn't do much for me...but I can't think of a state I'd hate to live in more than OK.

Ever been to Kansas?  🤔

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1138 on: April 03, 2021, 02:32:07 PM »
We agree. Both Oklahoma and Marquette are very good jobs.

As others have pointed out, the only thing that has really surprised most people is that Moser supposedly was so adamant about staying in or near Chicago that he was willing to remain in a decidedly "lesser" job to do so.

I look forward to seeing how he does at Oklahoma.
I think the part about Moser being adamant about staying in Chicago , was a bit oversold in the press. Moser is independently wealthy outside of basketball. He has a very good life built for himself and family on the North Shore. So his decision set might be different than other coaches.

It wasn't so much being adamant about staying. Rather, it was an analysis that said to disrupt the cushy situation he was in, Porter was only going to go to a school where he thought he had his best chance of winning on the big stage again, since it is likely a  one time chance given that he is 53.   
            ---Al McGuire

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #1139 on: April 03, 2021, 02:43:25 PM »

Ever been to Kansas?  🤔
Or the Dakotas?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1140 on: April 03, 2021, 03:14:20 PM »

That's a strong statement.  There are s number of states that are saying "hold my beer."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1141 on: April 03, 2021, 03:19:08 PM »
@DanaONeilWriter: Keep hearing @VUCoachJWright name in the UNC candidate pool. Source tells me Wright is not interested, and is not leaving Villanova.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1142 on: April 03, 2021, 03:23:53 PM »
I think the part about Moser being adamant about staying in Chicago , was a bit oversold in the press. Moser is independently wealthy outside of basketball. He has a very good life built for himself and family on the North Shore. So his decision set might be different than other coaches.

It wasn't so much being adamant about staying. Rather, it was an analysis that said to disrupt the cushy situation he was in, Porter was only going to go to a school where he thought he had his best chance of winning on the big stage again, since it is likely a  one time chance given that he is 53.

Ah, but if he truly is wealthy, wouldn't staying at Loyola -- where he could be worshiped by the locals, could live where he wanted and could be close to his extended family -- outweigh a high-paying gig like Oklahoma?

Being a little facetious. He wanted the challenge. He wanted to see if he could win big in the Big 12.

You're probably right about the Chicago thing being oversold ... but I don't remember you or anybody else knocking that down before he actually bolted for OkieLand.

Again, I wish him well.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #1143 on: April 03, 2021, 03:25:14 PM »
Moser had to cash in eventually. I don’t think this will go well.
Cmon Sultan. Now we have a perfect yardstick to judge the hires of Shaka Kahn and Moser. Moser going to the same conference that Shaka vacated at the same time that Shaka goes to MU
Be interesting to see how they fare over next 3-5 years. Shaka should do better as he has better resources at a basketball centric school  with better recruiting chops than Moser. Moser is at a school where football is the clear king. Be interesting to watch, much like Otule compared to Gardner, hey?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #1144 on: April 03, 2021, 03:31:23 PM »
"Narrative."

A more relevant discussion would be continue to dominate your league vs leaving for a hoops friendly Power 5 school.
Sultan. You have outdone yourself in the spin department. Hoops friendly is a great spin on a football is king school. But have to give you credit for Hedging on Moser.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #1145 on: April 03, 2021, 03:34:04 PM »
Really? How about Illinois. Vacation state for the CCP.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1146 on: April 03, 2021, 03:34:51 PM »
Ah, but if he truly is wealthy, wouldn't staying at Loyola -- where he could be worshiped by the locals, could live where he wanted and could be close to his extended family -- outweigh a high-paying gig like Oklahoma?

Being a little facetious. He wanted the challenge. He wanted to see if he could win big in the Big 12.

You're probably right about the Chicago thing being oversold ... but I don't remember you or anybody else knocking that down before he actually bolted for OkieLand.

Again, I wish him well.
I think before Boomer Sooner came up , Porter was looking at MU and IU. Both got filled and then Okie got serious.

By the way Porter had some good years at Arkansas Little Rock . So he is used to the local culture in that part of the country. 

Houses are not big dollars in Norman. So , Porter may not even sell his house in Wilmette. Can use it as his base of operations when recruiting in Chicago . 
            ---Al McGuire

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #1147 on: April 03, 2021, 04:16:10 PM »
Trivial Coaching Carousel Fun Facts Al’s last game was beating UNC for the Title.  Wojo got fired shortly after MU beat UNC. Roy Williams retired after 3 Titles and shortly after MU beat UNC. And Shaka was hired shortly after MU beat UNC.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1148 on: April 03, 2021, 04:26:52 PM »
Sultan. You have outdone yourself in the spin department. Hoops friendly is a great spin on a football is king school. But have to give you credit for Hedging on Moser.

I don't know who Sultan is, but I know that is not me. Just because a school is a football school, doesn't mean that it isn't hoops (and AD) friendly.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1149 on: April 03, 2021, 04:28:56 PM »
Cmon Sultan. Now we have a perfect yardstick to judge the hires of Shaka Kahn and Moser. Moser going to the same conference that Shaka vacated at the same time that Shaka goes to MU
Be interesting to see how they fare over next 3-5 years. Shaka should do better as he has better resources at a basketball centric school  with better recruiting chops than Moser. Moser is at a school where football is the clear king. Be interesting to watch, much like Otule compared to Gardner, hey?

Try apples to apples. Texas and Oklahoma are in the same league.