'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel  (Read 222184 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #1050 on: April 02, 2021, 10:19:44 AM »
He was talking about Buzz Peterson, Jordans old roommate at UNC.

That makes a hell of a lot more sense.  I couldn't wrap my head around it last night before I went to bed.  ahahahah

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1051 on: April 02, 2021, 10:21:13 AM »
Bill Self gets a lifetime contract at Kansas.  As if he was going to go anywhere anyways

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1052 on: April 02, 2021, 10:23:41 AM »
UNC is the best job in college basketball, and I honestly don’t think it’s really close.

That case can certainly be made and it's strong. I would probably put Duke & Kentucky up as the closest competition, with Kansas just behind.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #1053 on: April 02, 2021, 10:52:16 AM »
That case can certainly be made and it's strong. I would probably put Duke & Kentucky up as the closest competition, with Kansas just behind.

Duke has obviously had massive success but is it that good of a job, post-K? They have a very unique brand of hateableness (patent pending) that will be hard to continue under anyone else.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1054 on: April 02, 2021, 10:59:40 AM »
Duke has obviously had massive success but is it that good of a job, post-K? They have a very unique brand of hateableness (patent pending) that will be hard to continue under anyone else.

It is a top 5 job without a doubt.  Would I be banging down doors to take that job?  Debatable.  After they've gone through a coach or two?  Absolutely.

Following Coack K in Durham is going to be difficult.  Hopefully they have reasonable expectations.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1055 on: April 02, 2021, 11:06:56 AM »
It is a top 5 job without a doubt.  Would I be banging down doors to take that job?  Debatable.  After they've gone through a coach or two?  Absolutely.

Following Coack K in Durham is going to be difficult.  Hopefully they have reasonable expectations.

You know what they say...

You don’t want to be the guy who replaces a legend. You want to be the guy who replaces the guy who replaces a legend.

(I think that will hold true at UNC, too.)
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1056 on: April 02, 2021, 11:27:48 AM »
No, you are avoiding reading. Lets see, he is a damn good coach, there are numerous openings and more will come available. Doubt if he gets canned at Creighton but will land some where that will pay him as well if he was. Do your own speculation.

No, he wouldn’t
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1057 on: April 02, 2021, 11:28:38 AM »
So here it goes. Will UNC hire a minority coach?

I hope so.  Mostly to watch the snowflakes meltdown

Magnum

• Walk-On
« Reply #1058 on: April 02, 2021, 11:37:04 AM »

So you think people with leftist political beliefs would be upset if UNC hires a minority??

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1059 on: April 02, 2021, 11:41:41 AM »
Roy was said to have not been looking forward to dealing with the "new normal," with 1,000 kids in the transfer portal before the Final Four even began.

Interesting factoid I just read:

Through his first 15 seasons at North Carolina, Williams had just four players transfer and three one-and-dones enter the NBA draft. The past three seasons have produced six transfers and four one-and-dones.

Plus, it's not as easy to push athletes to non-existent courses at UNC anymore. I mean, what is this world coming to?

I don't blame Roy one bit. The transfer portal is a crap show. At this point in his career he does not want to deal with all the BS. Would not be surprised if Coach K feels the same way.

Magnum

• Walk-On
« Reply #1060 on: April 02, 2021, 11:42:38 AM »
So here it goes. Will UNC hire a minority coach?

I could see UNC hiring a guy like Hubert Davis and pairing him with an experienced assistant like Michigan did with Howard.  I bet Larry Brown would love a role like that, maybe George Karl if his health allows...

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1061 on: April 02, 2021, 11:43:39 AM »
So you think people with leftist political beliefs would be upset if UNC hires a minority??

No, old white people

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1062 on: April 02, 2021, 11:54:29 AM »
I'm from Omaha and have family and a few friends in the grassroots circuit/Creighton AD, and what I've heard is that all bets are off with Mac and what is going to happen there.  Creighton handled that about as terribly as you could, and while Mac is Rasmussen's guy through and through, you never know.

That locker room was tense ever since last summer (some guys did not love how the university handled the BLM protests - Creighton has always had a comical lack of minority students on campus) and a dumpster fire from February on.  Top 30 TyTy Washingon de-commits days after the comments, Creighton's only "surefire" returning player who was set up for a starring role in Christian Bishop leaves days after the season ends, and every other day there's an NBA player or other media type throwing around plantation jabs at Creighton.

Keep in mind, Creighton is only a few years removed from the Mo Watson rape allegation saga which was plastered all over the Omaha World-Herald (hey that sounds familiar) and led to internal rifts, and one year removed from having to fire assistant coach Preston Murphy for being at the forefront of the Brian Bowen pay-for-play deal.  So Mac's tenure hasn't exactly been sterling even before the plantation comments.  Again, we'll see.

Thanks for posting this. I've had my doubts that Mac would survive and was beginning to think that if it had not been fired yet, he might be safe. A network person brought up the plantation comments before one of their tourney games. I am pretty sure it was not her idea, but rather a case of following instructions from a producer. It simply is not going to go away. I do not want to get into the pissing contest debating whether or not he should be fired, but I think it may be just a matter of time before he's gone.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1063 on: April 02, 2021, 12:04:16 PM »

They’ll only “meltdown” if he isn’t qualified, regardless of race. You know, if they go the Minnesota route.

Seems like you are promoting tokenism.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1064 on: April 02, 2021, 12:11:55 PM »
They’ll only “meltdown” if he isn’t qualified, regardless of race.

Anybody UNC hires will be qualified, regardless of race. It's one of the best 3 jobs in college basketball. Everybody who already has been mentioned seriously is very qualified.

So then it comes down to if, say, Hubert Davis is hired, how many racists scream, "He only got the job because he's Black!"

I mean, several Scoopers are convinced that the only reason Shaka got the MU job was because he's Black.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1065 on: April 02, 2021, 12:26:30 PM »
Anybody UNC hires will be qualified, regardless of race. It's one of the best 3 jobs in college basketball. Everybody who already has been mentioned seriously is very qualified.

So then it comes down to if, say, Hubert Davis is hired, how many racists scream, "He only got the job because he's Black!"

I mean, several Scoopers are convinced that the only reason Shaka got the MU job was because he's Black.

Is Stackhouse qualified based upon his coaching record?

I doubt you’ll hear much complaining at all is Davis gets it. Steve Robinson seems to be a prime candidate too.

There would be more screaming if a non UNC guy (even Wright or Few) got the job than if Davis or Robinson (even with a poor HC record) got it. At the same time, there would be a significant amount of screaming from ESPN, FS1, etc of “UNC missed a chance to send a message” and other cries of “racism” if a dude like Miller gets the job.

Outrage sells. The merchants on both sides are teed up.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1066 on: April 02, 2021, 12:38:54 PM »
They’ll only “meltdown” if he isn’t qualified, regardless of race. You know, if they go the Minnesota route.

Seems like you are promoting tokenism.

Nope.  I’m promoting snowflake meltdown.  Only one group is bringing up the race of coaches being hired

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1067 on: April 02, 2021, 01:24:45 PM »

I doubt you’ll hear much complaining at all is Davis gets it. Steve Robinson seems to be a prime candidate too.

There would be more screaming if a non UNC guy (even Wright or Few) got the job than if Davis or Robinson (even with a poor HC record) got it. At the same time, there would be a significant amount of screaming from ESPN, FS1, etc of “UNC missed a chance to send a message” and other cries of “racism” if a dude like Miller gets the job.

Stackhouse is arguably more qualified for the UNC job than Wojo was for the Marquette job and than Doherty was for the UNC job. And he’s DEFINITELY more qualified than Kingsbury was for the Arizona Cardinals job. Ipso fatso, those three only got those positions because they were white, right?

And plenty of racists WOULD rip them for hiring Davis.

You know, Billy, it’s OK to “send a message” (your words) AND hire someone who is qualified.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1068 on: April 02, 2021, 01:36:46 PM »

Good lord Robinson would be a bad hire.  He was putrid at FSU and he would be 64 when the season started.

Stackhouse is arguably more qualified for the UNC job than Wojo was for the Marquette job and than Doherty was for the UNC job.

Wojo sure, but not Doherty.  Doherty stunk at UNC but he was a high major assistant for almost a decade and then had a fairly nice season at ND, who had been terrible for a decade post-Digger.  Stackhouse had no college coaching experience and limited NBA experience before getting the Vandy job.  He was very solid with Raptors 905 and I think his trajectory at Vandy will be nice, but hes still very much an unproven college commodity.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1069 on: April 02, 2021, 01:38:40 PM »
No, you are avoiding reading. Lets see, he is a damn good coach, there are numerous openings and more will come available. Doubt if he gets canned at Creighton but will land some where that will pay him as well if he was. Do your own speculation.

Avoiding the question Part II.  You said "better gig."  Now you are shifting goalposts too.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1070 on: April 02, 2021, 01:41:44 PM »

Hubert Davis is completely qualified for the job. With long ties to UNC and Overall basketball experience. My sense is if Hubert truly desired the job , he would get it.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1071 on: April 02, 2021, 02:48:36 PM »
Doherty stunk at UNC but he was a high major assistant for almost a decade and then had a fairly nice season at ND, who had been terrible for a decade post-Digger.  Stackhouse had no college coaching experience and limited NBA experience before getting the Vandy job.  He was very solid with Raptors 905 and I think his trajectory at Vandy will be nice, but hes still very much an unproven college commodity.

Fair. Though I don't think playing 18 NBA seasons for 8 different teams under 10 head coaches and dozens of assistants -- including his last couple of years as an "elder statesman/coach on the floor" kind of guy -- should be ignored. Stackhouse has a world of experience relating to athletes and coaches. And he knows exactly what it takes to make it in the NBA, which is the goal of pretty much every UNC recruit.

McDonald's All-American ... UNC All-American ... NBA All-Star ... played under numerous coaching styles in 18 NBA seasons ... NBA assistant ... G-League head coach ... SEC head coach ... bleeds Carolina blue.

I'm not a UNC fan, but if I were I'd have absolutely no problem with somebody with Stackhouse's resume getting the job. Nor Davis, obviously.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1072 on: April 02, 2021, 03:23:14 PM »
Fair. Though I don't think playing 18 NBA seasons for 8 different teams under 10 head coaches and dozens of assistants -- including his last couple of years as an "elder statesman/coach on the floor" kind of guy -- should be ignored. Stackhouse has a world of experience relating to athletes and coaches. And he knows exactly what it takes to make it in the NBA, which is the goal of pretty much every UNC recruit.

McDonald's All-American ... UNC All-American ... NBA All-Star ... played under numerous coaching styles in 18 NBA seasons ... NBA assistant ... G-League head coach ... SEC head coach ... bleeds Carolina blue.

I'm not a UNC fan, but if I were I'd have absolutely no problem with somebody with Stackhouse's resume getting the job. Nor Davis, obviously.

Okay, but then check his college coaching career record.  Now, don't get me wrong, two seasons isn't much to judge and its Vanderbilt.  But I can understand some hesitation.  Maybe he needs more time to prove that he can coach the college game.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1073 on: April 02, 2021, 03:28:40 PM »
Stackhouse has gotten into some Twitter battles with fans/writers. I’m not sure it’s disqualifying, but would make me wonder how he’d handle a job like UNC.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1074 on: April 02, 2021, 03:35:31 PM »
Stackhouse has gotten into some Twitter battles with fans/writers. I’m not sure it’s disqualifying, but would make me wonder how he’d handle a job like UNC.

Yes, also this.