[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MU82
[Today at 12:54:04 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel  (Read 222281 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #1025 on: April 02, 2021, 06:13:58 AM »
Look around. Plenty of gigs. If he gets let go, we shall see where he ends up

Ahh.... you went with avoiding to answer the question I see.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1026 on: April 02, 2021, 06:26:32 AM »
UNC is the best job in college basketball, and I honestly don’t think it’s really close.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1027 on: April 02, 2021, 06:28:37 AM »

• All American
« Reply #1028 on: April 02, 2021, 06:35:42 AM »
But it is a reset.

Correct. But willie claimed he’d get a better gig.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1029 on: April 02, 2021, 06:47:02 AM »
Correct. But willie claimed he’d get a better gig.

If he gets dumped at Creighton, anyone thinking he’ll get a better job is deluding themselves
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1030 on: April 02, 2021, 07:04:06 AM »
UNC is the most overrated job in college basketball now.  With transfers and the 1 and done portal bigger than ever before, it will be harder than ever to succeed at UNC with all of the expectations.  UNC will be the next Indiana if they don't get the right coach.  Anyone want to bet that UNC doesn't win a title in next 10 years?
In ten years they will another title.
UNC will always be the best job in college basketball. 60 plus years of tradition and The campus and Chapel Hill is a great collegiate environment. Coaches there don’t have to recruit, they select for the most part,and then they focus on game coaching and player development .

Roy opted out because he said he wasn’t the man for the job anymore . Basically called Next Man Up on himself.I respect him for that .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1031 on: April 02, 2021, 08:05:32 AM »
In ten years they will another title.
UNC will always be the best job in college basketball. 60 plus years of tradition and The campus and Chapel Hill is a great collegiate environment. Coaches there don’t have to recruit, they select for the most part,and then they focus on game coaching and player development .

Roy opted out because he said he wasn’t the man for the job anymore . Basically called Next Man Up on himself.I respect him for that .

They already offered me the job and the lawyers are working out the details despite that I have no coaching experience. They told me not to worry as the program will take care of all that; just look good on TV. Looking forward to being in the Coaches Hall of fame.

• All American
« Reply #1032 on: April 02, 2021, 08:06:59 AM »
UNC is the best job in college basketball, and I honestly don’t think it’s really close.

Kentucky is the only other in the conversation.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1033 on: April 02, 2021, 08:07:40 AM »

I agree completely.

UNC will always be the best job in college basketball.

And that's where I draw the line. They are clearly the best job in college basketball right now. But it would be foolish for them to think like this. You could be right.  But there was certainly a time when UCLA and Indiana would have easily been considered "top five" jobs in college basketball and I'm sure many people thought that would always be the case. UCLA is recovering, but I don't think it's top five any more. Indiana...well...it's...ummmm...let's just say that "It's Indiana" has a very, very different meaning than it did just 12 years ago.

UNC is two or three bad hires from losing their strangle-hold on the top spot. They managed to right the ship after a couple lackluster hires when they hired Roy.

I'm not saying that I think that UNC will lose it's top spot. They do have a lot going for them that will help them weather some storms, but nothing is guaranteed. People are fickle and these schools' fortunes are made by recruiting 16-17 year old boys. Forget about the national championship, the HS kids being recruited now weren't even alive the last time MU made the FF. It doesn't take long for people to forget.

UNC has a decision to make whether they want to keep things in the family. History suggests that they do. That could be a mistake because I don't think that there are any rock stars available and there is no Roy Williams waiting in the wings to save the day if a couple of the young up-and-comers try and fail. I think one of two things will happen. Either UNC will get lucky and one of these young, inexperienced guys will actually be able to coach, or in 3-4 years they'll back an armored car up to Jay Wright's house (or someone similar) and finally go outside the family.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1034 on: April 02, 2021, 08:08:19 AM »
Main front-page article in the Charlotte Observer this morning, with headline type almost the size of Japan Bombs Pearl Harbor, is Roy Williams retiring.

And Charlotte is about 3 hours from Chapel Hill.

I guess it's a pretty big story here.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1035 on: April 02, 2021, 08:21:38 AM »
I agree completely.

And that's where I draw the line. They are clearly the best job in college basketball right now. But it would be foolish for them to think like this. You could be right.  But there was certainly a time when UCLA and Indiana would have easily been considered "top five" jobs in college basketball and I'm sure many people thought that would always be the case. UCLA is recovering, but I don't think it's top five any more. Indiana...well...it's...ummmm...let's just say that "It's Indiana" has a very, very different meaning than it did just 12 years ago.

UNC is two or three bad hires from losing their strangle-hold on the top spot. They managed to right the ship after a couple lackluster hires when they hired Roy.

I'm not saying that I think that UNC will lose it's top spot. They do have a lot going for them that will help them weather some storms, but nothing is guaranteed. People are fickle and these schools' fortunes are made by recruiting 16-17 year old boys. Forget about the national championship, the HS kids being recruited now weren't even alive the last time MU made the FF. It doesn't take long for people to forget.

UNC has a decision to make whether they want to keep things in the family. History suggests that they do. That could be a mistake because I don't think that there are any rock stars available and there is no Roy Williams waiting in the wings to save the day if a couple of the young up-and-comers try and fail. I think one of two things will happen. Either UNC will get lucky and one of these young, inexperienced guys will actually be able to coach, or in 3-4 years they'll back an armored car up to Jay Wright's house (or someone similar) and finally go outside the family.

I assume the armored car is not filled with paid mercenaries with automatic weapons to to commandeer Jay or their next coach; otherwise that is rather old school, just setup a cryptocurrency account.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1036 on: April 02, 2021, 08:25:11 AM »
Main front-page article in the Charlotte Observer this morning, with headline type almost the size of Japan Bombs Pearl Harbor, is Roy Williams retiring.

And Charlotte is about 3 hours from Chapel Hill.

I guess it's a pretty big story here.

Their version of Huasershima with Nagasaki thrown in.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1037 on: April 02, 2021, 08:31:34 AM »
I assume the armored car is not filled with paid mercenaries with automatic weapons to to commandeer Jay or their next coach; otherwise that is rather old school, just setup a cryptocurrency account.

That's funny. When I was typing that, I actually thought to myself, "is there a 'u' in there? Nah...I think that's just a British thing like colour." LOL
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1038 on: April 02, 2021, 08:44:24 AM »
Roy was said to have not been looking forward to dealing with the "new normal," with 1,000 kids in the transfer portal before the Final Four even began.

Interesting factoid I just read:

Through his first 15 seasons at North Carolina, Williams had just four players transfer and three one-and-dones enter the NBA draft. The past three seasons have produced six transfers and four one-and-dones.

Plus, it's not as easy to push athletes to non-existent courses at UNC anymore. I mean, what is this world coming to?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1039 on: April 02, 2021, 08:56:45 AM »
I think UK and KU are both pretty close.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1040 on: April 02, 2021, 09:06:32 AM »
I agree completely.

UCLA is the proper analogy to UNC. In the post Wooden era, UCLA still has one of the best records in College Basketball. Yes, if they get two mediocre coaches in a row,  like they did with Larry Farmer and Walt Hazzard, they will dip down, but the Alumni will force the school to find someone better. In fact the leash at UCLA is very short now. Steve Lavin,  one bad year and out, Ben Howland one scandal and out. Alford, showed signs of trending down and out. Cronin will have the job until he screws up and then they find another good coach. Yes kids are fickle, but Westwood and the Campus tucked up against Bel Aire never goes out of style. Kids want to be a part of that .

I think UNC will move to the UCLA model and have tighter leash on its coaches going forward.They had one taste of what a Matt Doherty can do and won't let that happen again. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1041 on: April 02, 2021, 09:14:36 AM »

Totally agree. UNC is still the top job unless they really screw it up.

But when people said "and it always will be," I immediately thought of UCLA and Indiana. And of the fact that Guthridge and then Doherty brought them to the brink of messing it up. If they hadn't hit a home run with Roy, UNC could have become what UCLA and IU are today: great, high-paying jobs, but certainly not the best in college hoops.

This hire is big for them. But the even bigger hire is whomever they hire after that if this guy doesn't work out....

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1042 on: April 02, 2021, 09:59:30 AM »
So here it goes. Will UNC hire a minority coach?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1043 on: April 02, 2021, 10:03:15 AM »
Someone's already looking for a raise.

@CoachingChanges: Names of guys for Texas Tech right now

Buzz Williams
Jerome Tang
Grant McCasland
Kyle Keller
Frank Martin
Joe Golding

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1044 on: April 02, 2021, 10:07:33 AM »
Someone's already looking for a raise.

@CoachingChanges: Names of guys for Texas Tech right now

Buzz Williams
Jerome Tang
Grant McCasland
Kyle Keller
Frank Martin
Joe Golding

@coachingchanges also mentioned Buzz to UNC as a possibility... with Jordan backing it?... unless I read that tweet wrong.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1045 on: April 02, 2021, 10:08:21 AM »
So here it goes. Will UNC hire a minority coach?

Well, the guy considered one of two leading candidates is Black  ... so, maybe.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #1046 on: April 02, 2021, 10:08:44 AM »

Ahh.... you went with avoiding to answer the question I see.
No, you are avoiding reading. Lets see, he is a damn good coach, there are numerous openings and more will come available. Doubt if he gets canned at Creighton but will land some where that will pay him as well if he was. Do your own speculation.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #1047 on: April 02, 2021, 10:09:18 AM »
@coachingchanges also mentioned Buzz to UNC as a possibility... with Jordan backing it?... unless I read that tweet wrong.

He was talking about Buzz Peterson, Jordans old roommate at UNC.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #1048 on: April 02, 2021, 10:13:06 AM »
I don't think McDermott is hanging by a thread based on talking to Omaha contacts.
Probably woulda been done by now and there is no chatter they have heard...

I'm from Omaha and have family and a few friends in the grassroots circuit/Creighton AD, and what I've heard is that all bets are off with Mac and what is going to happen there.  Creighton handled that about as terribly as you could, and while Mac is Rasmussen's guy through and through, you never know.

That locker room was tense ever since last summer (some guys did not love how the university handled the BLM protests - Creighton has always had a comical lack of minority students on campus) and a dumpster fire from February on.  Top 30 TyTy Washingon de-commits days after the comments, Creighton's only "surefire" returning player who was set up for a starring role in Christian Bishop leaves days after the season ends, and every other day there's an NBA player or other media type throwing around plantation jabs at Creighton.

Keep in mind, Creighton is only a few years removed from the Mo Watson rape allegation saga which was plastered all over the Omaha World-Herald (hey that sounds familiar) and led to internal rifts, and one year removed from having to fire assistant coach Preston Murphy for being at the forefront of the Brian Bowen pay-for-play deal.  So Mac's tenure hasn't exactly been sterling even before the plantation comments.  Again, we'll see.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #1049 on: April 02, 2021, 10:16:12 AM »
I'm from Omaha and have family and a few friends in the grassroots circuit/Creighton AD, and what I've heard is that all bets are off with Mac and what is going to happen there.  Creighton handled that about as terribly as you could, and while Mac is Rasmussen's guy through and through, you never know.

That locker room was tense ever since last summer (some guys did not love how the university handled the BLM protests - Creighton has always had a comical lack of minority students on campus) and a dumpster fire from February on.  Top 30 TyTy Washingon de-commits days after the comments, Creighton's only "surefire" returning player who was set up for a starring role in Christian Bishop leaves days after the season ends, and every other day there's an NBA player or other media type throwing around plantation jabs at Creighton.

Keep in mind, Creighton is only a few years removed from the Mo Watson rape allegation saga which was plastered all over the Omaha World-Herald (hey that sounds familiar) and led to internal rifts, and one year removed from having to fire assistant coach Preston Murphy for being at the forefront of the Brian Bowen pay-for-play deal.  So Mac's tenure hasn't exactly been sterling even before the plantation comments.  Again, we'll see.

Seems like DePaul is trying to become the next Creighton with their hire this week.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

feedback