* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by The Equalizer
[Today at 12:44:23 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel  (Read 222257 times)

PhillyWarrior

• Scholarship Player
Re: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #675 on: March 22, 2021, 06:15:20 PM »
What are you talking about?

Maybe he is referring to Johnson's complexion

tower912

• All American
« Reply #676 on: March 22, 2021, 07:08:49 PM »
There is a report out there that Matta failed his physical after agreeing to a deal with IU.

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/sources-thad-matta-fails-physical-after-agreeing-to-deal-with-indiana
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 07:12:48 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #677 on: March 22, 2021, 07:14:57 PM »
There is a report out there that Matta failed his physical after agreeing to a deal with IU.

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/sources-thad-matta-fails-physical-after-agreeing-to-deal-with-indiana

Many credible people have said this is not true.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #678 on: March 22, 2021, 07:19:26 PM »
Failed a physical?

Give me a break.  LOL

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #679 on: March 22, 2021, 07:23:52 PM »

Coaches need to pass a physical? How the heck did Majerus ever land a job?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #680 on: March 22, 2021, 07:25:40 PM »
Matta is however enjoying tonight's games.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #681 on: March 22, 2021, 07:28:51 PM »
OK, then.  Stupid IU blogger.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #682 on: March 22, 2021, 08:04:02 PM »
Coaches need to pass a physical? How the heck did Majerus ever land a job?

There's a bunch of college football coaches over the years that would have had no chance.

For Thad, does he have to pass a range of motion test? Indiana fans are on another level of crazy.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #683 on: March 22, 2021, 08:04:36 PM »
I don’t believe IU would reject a coach they wanted because of a physical exam. Ever.

But given that Matta retired because of a severe back injury, I have wondered whether he’d be able to handle a return. It certainly isn’t as though he needs the money. Maybe he told them “no thanks, my back can’t handle it“ and someone twisted or misrepresented that.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #684 on: March 22, 2021, 08:17:43 PM »
Matta would be very high on my unrealistic list.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #685 on: March 22, 2021, 08:38:47 PM »
I don't know.  You have a successful sitting coach in Brian Dutcher who would love to come to Minnesota.   That's pretty hard to pass up versus promoting a 40 year old career assistant.
wasn’t Dutcher a career assistant...or did he have a HC stop along the way?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #686 on: March 22, 2021, 08:44:09 PM »
wasn’t Dutcher a career assistant...or did he have a HC stop along the way?

Before San Diego State? He was a career assistant, basically Steve Fisher's guy for almost 30 years. But he's been a HC since 2017.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #687 on: March 23, 2021, 05:36:17 AM »
Before San Diego State? He was a career assistant, basically Steve Fisher's guy for almost 30 years. But he's been a HC since 2017.
thx, I should have clarified that...before SDSt I didn’t think Dutcher had been a HC.

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #688 on: March 23, 2021, 07:49:14 AM »
The Matta thing was a farce.

Sounds like Mike Woodson to IU.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #689 on: March 23, 2021, 07:53:30 AM »
Sounds like Mike Woodson to IU.

62 year old who has a career .463 winning percentage as an NBA coach and who has never coached (head or assistant) in college before.

I'm sure the IU boards are going to be reasonable about this.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #690 on: March 23, 2021, 07:54:06 AM »

62 year old who has a career .463 winning percentage as an NBA coach and who has never coached (head or assistant) in college before.

I'm sure the IU boards are going to be reasonable about this.

Yeah, that guy!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #691 on: March 23, 2021, 07:56:30 AM »
If it’s Mike Woodson, I’ll need a semi full of popcorn
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #692 on: March 23, 2021, 08:00:29 AM »
Make it two.   I'll join you.

Also, if true, Minnesota and IU are just the most recent lessons about expectations versus reality.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #693 on: March 23, 2021, 08:06:39 AM »
Also, if true, Minnesota and IU are just the most recent lessons about expectations versus reality.

Outstanding point.

If it's Woodson, I hope he and the new Minnesota coach do great jobs. I'd love to see everybody get away from the notion that if you don't hire a "name," you are OK with failure.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #694 on: March 23, 2021, 08:17:49 AM »
Outstanding point.

If it's Woodson, I hope he and the new Minnesota coach do great jobs. I'd love to see everybody get away from the notion that if you don't hire a "name," you are OK with failure.

I agree with this.  But this happens every year.  And coaches just don't leave jobs that often.  Is this a function of buyouts?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #695 on: March 23, 2021, 08:22:56 AM »

I agree with this.  But this happens every year.  And coaches just don't leave jobs that often.  Is this a function of buyouts?

Inertia is a property of matter

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #696 on: March 23, 2021, 08:35:10 AM »

I think it is simply that there is less motivating factor to leave. The ones likely to leave are those that frankly don't like the city they live in, or have chips on their shoulder where they feel a need to prove themselves.

Money, and opportunities mean less now. Even a Loyola Chicago is paying their coach over $1M, and the coaches being targeted have proven they can have good success where they are at, with far far less pressure.

Why move up the ladder, to do a rebuild, and if you don't succeed to extremely high levels you are fired in 5-seasons, if you like where you live, are already making immense amounts of money, and have less stress.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #697 on: March 23, 2021, 08:55:53 AM »
I think it is simply that there is less motivating factor to leave. The ones likely to leave are those that frankly don't like the city they live in, or have chips on their shoulder where they feel a need to prove themselves.

Money, and opportunities mean less now. Even a Loyola Chicago is paying their coach over $1M, and the coaches being targeted have proven they can have good success where they are at, with far far less pressure.

Why move up the ladder, to do a rebuild, and if you don't succeed to extremely high levels you are fired in 5-seasons, if you like where you live, are already making immense amounts of money, and have less stress.

Completely different level, but I have a friend who is a DI volleyball coach. They had a very comfortable job at a small school in a small conference. A lot of security with multiple conference titles, conference COY awards, etc. They left for a step up to a perennial “also ran” in a bigger conference. Their life is much, much more stressful now. Immense pressure and wondering if it was worth it.

Obviously VB is very different because we’re probably talking about going from $50k to $100k (really just guessing here). That is an increase that can have a profound effect on a family’s standard of living. They needed that raise. When already making seven figures, I can definitely see why someone might be content to stay put and avoid the pressure that comes with a step up to the next level.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #698 on: March 23, 2021, 09:04:39 AM »
I’d leave the Mo Valley for the Big East for the travel alone.  Is Loyola chartering a plane to Drake or Indiana State?  Life on the road in that conference would become a grind.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #699 on: March 23, 2021, 09:05:04 AM »

Exactly.

There are a select few who have the desire to prove themselves at the "highest level." But most are learning they can find happiness where they are.

And that's a great point about rebuilding. If your situation is good where you are, you feel respected by your school, your boss, your team and your community, and you are in a good place financially, why put yourself through a rebuild and a pressure-cooker?

I always thought the ballplayers who "settled" for enormous money instead of ridiculous money to stay "home" were really smart. Look at Joe Mauer. He hit his free-agency year at the perfect time and got big bucks from the Twins, but he could have gotten even biglier bucks from the Yankees or somebody else. But he stayed "home," was still a zillionaire, and when, predictably, he couldn't come close to living up to the contract, he got relatively little heat because he was "the good guy who stayed home." Yankee fans would not have been so kind.

If Moser has 3 straight years where he finishes 2nd and 3rd in the conference and doesn't go to the Dance, will Loyola fans scream that he should be fired? Even if a few do, will administration listen to those fans?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback