* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by BLWarrior91
[Today at 08:41:56 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel  (Read 222214 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #550 on: March 15, 2021, 08:47:03 PM »
Yet another school taking quick, decisive action to rid themselves of a lame duck coach while we sit on our hands.  So frustrating.

Wonder if Hoiberg would go back to ISU.

He’s not happy at Nebraska
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #551 on: March 15, 2021, 08:48:54 PM »
TJO to ISU, Wojo to UNLV?

Didn’t wojo flirt with UNLV in the past?

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #552 on: March 15, 2021, 08:54:59 PM »
I kind of feel like the ship has sailed on Wojo getting hired away.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #553 on: March 15, 2021, 08:55:49 PM »
TJO to ISU, Wojo to UNLV?

Didn’t wojo flirt with UNLV in the past?

And who would we get at MU?

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #554 on: March 15, 2021, 09:21:55 PM »
And who would we get at MU?
Why don't we just trade UNLV directly?  TJ for Wojo and a player to be named later.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #555 on: March 15, 2021, 09:29:08 PM »
I don’t know what is more depressing: that MU is stuck with Wojo or that all these other schools (public/private, large, small) are apparently in that much stronger financial state with donors to make changes when their coaches underperform.

I guess other schools’ faculty isn’t as vocal or as upset as ours is.

Regardless, not a good perception either way...

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #556 on: March 15, 2021, 09:30:41 PM »
I don’t know what is more depressing: that MU is stuck with Wojo or that all these other schools (public/private, large, small) are apparently in that much stronger financial state with donors to make changes when their coaches underperform.

Financial state. That's hugely depressing
Maigh Eo for Sam

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #557 on: March 15, 2021, 09:41:03 PM »
I want Marquette to win.  I'm not very certain Wojo can do that.  But he's MU's coach next year, so I see no reason not to support him. 

But that was a great deflection from your own hypocrisy!

You want Marquette to win, but you're "not very certain Wojo can do that."

There's a terrific scene in the movie Foxcatcher where Mark Ruffalo, playing Olympic wrestling champion Mark Schultz, is asked to step in front of a camera and praise billionaire John Du Pont (Steve Carrell) for his role as a coach and mentor, even though Du Pont was a bumbling idiot who knew nothing about wrestling.  And Ruffalo's character tries to do it, you can tell he has the words in his head, but he just can't bring himself to say them.  He physically cannot get the words to leave his lips.  It's a terrific piece of film acting, and is probably the reason Ruffalo got an Oscar nom for the role.

And that's sort of what you're like when it comes to Wojo.  If I sat you down in front of a camera and said, "rocky_warrior, say Wojo sucks and you think he should be fired," you couldn't do it.  You might be able to say something like, "I'm not certain Wojo will be able to win here."  But you wouldn't be able to say he sucks, and that you think he should be fired.

Well, I'm giving you the chance, rocky.  Say you think Wojo sucks, and that he should be fired.  Come on, just say it, it's not that hard.  Heck, you wouldn't even really be saying it out loud, you'd be typing it.  And none of us will judge you.  "Wojo sucks, and he should be fired."  Try it out and see how it feels.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #558 on: March 15, 2021, 09:43:10 PM »
We have a lot of folks here whining that other schools' donors are stepping up but ours aren't.

Well ... step up!

Sell your houses, sell your cars, sell your daughters ... whatever it takes to get money for Wojo's buyout!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #559 on: March 15, 2021, 09:44:38 PM »

Our financial position is due to more than just Covid. Covid just accelerated and amplified it. I don’t know that these other schools are in as bad if shape.

Mike Deane's Seat Belt

• All American
« Reply #560 on: March 15, 2021, 10:05:32 PM »
Well millennials are starting to realize overpriced liberal arts degrees will barely be able to pay off the massive loan a large number of them will end up taking on.   

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #561 on: March 15, 2021, 10:17:07 PM »
You want Marquette to win, but you're "not very certain Wojo can do that."

There's a terrific scene in the movie Foxcatcher where Mark Ruffalo, playing Olympic wrestling champion Mark Schultz, is asked to step in front of a camera and praise billionaire John Du Pont (Steve Carrell) for his role as a coach and mentor, even though Du Pont was a bumbling idiot who knew nothing about wrestling.  And Ruffalo's character tries to do it, you can tell he has the words in his head, but he just can't bring himself to say them.  He physically cannot get the words to leave his lips.  It's a terrific piece of film acting, and is probably the reason Ruffalo got an Oscar nom for the role.

And that's sort of what you're like when it comes to Wojo.  If I sat you down in front of a camera and said, "rocky_warrior, say Wojo sucks and you think he should be fired," you couldn't do it.  You might be able to say something like, "I'm not certain Wojo will be able to win here."  But you wouldn't be able to say he sucks, and that you think he should be fired.

Well, I'm giving you the chance, rocky.  Say you think Wojo sucks, and that he should be fired.  Come on, just say it, it's not that hard.  Heck, you wouldn't even really be saying it out loud, you'd be typing it.  And none of us will judge you.  "Wojo sucks, and he should be fired."  Try it out and see how it feels.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #562 on: March 15, 2021, 10:19:23 PM »
Yet another school taking quick, decisive action to rid themselves of a lame duck coach while we sit on our hands.  So frustrating.

Yes. Iowa State was very quick and decisive. It only took 3 losing seasons in 4 years, two lower KenPom finishes than Wojo has ever had (and a 3rd lower than anything in the last 5 years), and a 2-22 season to get them to move. Extremely quick and decisive.

I want Wojo fired. I hope the university comes to the conclusion that it makes more financial sense to fire Wojo than keep him. But there's no world in which this was quick and decisive by Iowa St.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #563 on: March 15, 2021, 10:20:54 PM »
We have a lot of folks here whining that other schools' donors are stepping up but ours aren't.

Well ... step up!

Sell your houses, sell your cars, sell your daughters ... whatever it takes to get money for Wojo's buyout!!!

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #565 on: March 15, 2021, 11:01:55 PM »

So, you just want to pressure people to be lemmings and follow your train wreck of thoughts?  No thanks.

It doesn't matter whether I would fire Wojo or not.   Once they make me his boss I'll let you know my final decision, and the thinking that went into it.

I certainly understand why people aren't pleased with MU's performance the past three years.  I can also understand that the administration sees a clean program that would have made 2 tourneys and had a bad "covid" year in the past 3 years.  If they keep him I'll support MU. IF they dump him, I'll support MU. 

Sorry that it doesn't follow your lemming-like logic.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #566 on: March 15, 2021, 11:04:11 PM »

If they keep him I'll support MU. IF they dump him, I'll support MU. 

What a novel concept. I like it!

#pleasedon’tcallmealemming

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #567 on: March 16, 2021, 12:16:31 AM »
Haven’t seen this posted yet: BC hires Earl Grant from College of Charleston. Um, interesting, especially with BC alumni Mark Schmidt out there. Oh, and Wojo...

https://collegehoopstoday.com/index.php/rothstein-files/sources-boston-college-hires-charlestons-earl-grant-as-its-next-head-basketball-coach/

A middling low to mid major coach is what a search firm recommended.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 12:22:04 AM by Billy Hoyle »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #568 on: March 16, 2021, 12:25:43 AM »
Haven’t seen this posted yet: BC hires Earl Grant from College of Charleston. Um, interesting, especially with BC alumni Mark Schmidt out there. Oh, and Wojo...

https://collegehoopstoday.com/index.php/rothstein-files/sources-boston-college-hires-charlestons-earl-grant-as-its-next-head-basketball-coach/

A middling low to mid major coach is what a search firm recommended.

Guess it shouldn’t be too surprising given the last time it was open, they turned to Jim Christian who was AWFUL at TCU, went to OU, had 2 decent but not great years (the second of which they weren’t even top 2 in their division in a lackluster MAC), and then somehow got a better job than before he failed miserably at a higher level before

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #569 on: March 16, 2021, 12:35:32 AM »
Guess it shouldn’t be too surprising given the last time it was open, they turned to Jim Christian who was AWFUL at TCU, went to OU, had 2 decent but not great years (the second of which they weren’t even top 2 in their division in a lackluster MAC), and then somehow got a better job than before he failed miserably at a higher level before

They had a great AD in Martin Jarmond who recently left for UCLA. Reading some BC reactions many pin the blame on long time BC President and former MU #2, Father Lehey.

BC just doesn’t care about hoops. They shouldn’t have fired Al Skinner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #570 on: March 16, 2021, 09:15:06 AM »
If they keep him I'll support MU. IF they dump him, I'll support MU. 

A difficult concept for some.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #571 on: March 16, 2021, 10:04:39 AM »
Little Ricky hired by New Mexico.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #572 on: March 16, 2021, 10:56:02 AM »
Little Ricky hired by New Mexico.

Great!

That means the REAL Pitino is still available for Marquette!!!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #573 on: March 16, 2021, 04:49:52 PM »

nyg

• All American
« Reply #574 on: March 16, 2021, 04:59:25 PM »
Dave Paulsen out at George Mason.  A-10 school and a good stepping stone job. 

feedback