* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by The Equalizer
[Today at 12:44:23 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel  (Read 222257 times)

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
Re: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #500 on: March 15, 2021, 03:16:24 PM »
Georgetown lost their 2 best players last year to transfers and I would have fired Ewing then.  They have made huge strides this year and no one expected what they did to finish the year out.  Its been 7 years and it is becoming increasingly clear we are trending downwards.  Did I expect Georgetown to whip us and finish with a better record?  No.  But the standings say Georgetown 8, MU 9, Georgetown 2021 Conference Tourny Champs.  MU can't sniff a semifinal run ever.  Georgetown is still playing and we are out.  Yes its one year but it is clear that we as a basketball program are no longer superior to Georgetown.  That speaks volumes to the status of where our program is more than to what Georgetown is doing.  Both stink and I don't want to stink.

Ewing negotiated a six year, $18 million guaranteed contract and for a program with no NCAA credits since 2015, that was not an insignificant hurdle to ignore, even putting aside his celebrity status. With its poor attendance (Georgetown draws half of MU's attendance and at 3x the arena rental) it's not making the kind of money to afford buyouts.

The SEC football schools have an approach to this: you don't fire a coach until you have a good idea who (and how much) the successor will be. Kevin Sumlin was fired at Texas A&M on Nov 21, 2017, and Jimbo Fisher took the job nine days later.

Georgetown had no Plan A, Plan B or Plan C when they fired John Thompson IV in 2017 and that allowed the elder Thompson to get Ewing in the door. There literally were no candidates interviewed over a month before Ewing's name was surfaced through Thompson's channels. If Marquette makes a change next year, they need three serious candidates on speed dial and to get it signed within ten days; otherwise, transfers and perceptions go out the door.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 03:18:25 PM by DFW HOYA »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #501 on: March 15, 2021, 03:19:18 PM »
It looks like Little Ricky is out at Minnesota.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #502 on: March 15, 2021, 03:19:41 PM »
Mike Anderson can coach. He’s had success at various places. Van Macon was a strong hire in part because he is good at recruiting local under the radar talent, and knows that landscape as well.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #503 on: March 15, 2021, 03:24:09 PM »
I wasn’t really making an excuse for them one way or the other, just saying they looked pretty good before Alexander got hurt.  Anderson has done a pretty good job so far with that dumpster fire of a program, and he’s only in his second year.

But hey, Wojo will be back next year, so you’re getting what you want.

I want Marquette to win.  I'm not very certain Wojo can do that.  But he's MU's coach next year, so I see no reason not to support him. 

But that was a great deflection from your own hypocrisy!

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #504 on: March 15, 2021, 03:29:56 PM »
Scheyer would sprint to DePaul if offered the gig. His ultimate goal is eventually to get the Illinois job.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #505 on: March 15, 2021, 03:31:02 PM »
Still don't know how Scheyer became this big coaching name. He was dumb as a rock.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #506 on: March 15, 2021, 03:33:54 PM »
Still don't know how Scheyer became this big coaching name. He was dumb as a rock.

look no further than our bench.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #507 on: March 15, 2021, 03:34:11 PM »
Kudos to IU and the donors ponying up to get an unsuccessful coach out.

Too bad MU is content with a dumpster fire of a men's bball program, but it is what it is.

Another miserable season ahead.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #508 on: March 15, 2021, 03:40:54 PM »
I think the Marquette BOT should take notice of what's going on across the country and that many MU fans have had quite enough. 

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #509 on: March 15, 2021, 03:42:58 PM »
Coaching changes saying Killings finalist for Albany

https://twitter.com/coachingchanges/status/1371562276147302402?s=21

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #510 on: March 15, 2021, 03:43:13 PM »

At this point, anybody that hires a former Duke assistant (or continues to retain one) are complete morons. Sounds like something DePaul would do though.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #511 on: March 15, 2021, 03:44:12 PM »
Kudos to IU and the donors ponying up to get an unsuccessful coach out.

Too bad MU is content with a dumpster fire of a men's bball program, but it is what it is.

Another miserable season ahead.
Nothing is stopping you for either putting up $10 million in philanthropic donations or organizing a fundraiser to do so.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #512 on: March 15, 2021, 03:49:46 PM »
Coaching changes saying Killings finalist for Albany

https://twitter.com/coachingchanges/status/1371562276147302402?s=21
If Killings goes to Albany , I would not be surprised if Sy goes with him.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #513 on: March 15, 2021, 03:52:11 PM »
Nothing is stopping you for either putting up $10 million in philanthropic donations or organizing a fundraiser to do so.

From what I've heard, MU wouldn't fire Wojo even if a generous benefactor concerned with Wojo offered to pony up the needed cash for the buyout.

Wins and losses just do not matter to Lovell (at all) or to many on the BOT.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #514 on: March 15, 2021, 03:52:27 PM »
I think the Marquette BOT should take notice of what's going on across the country and that many MU fans have had quite enough.

What is going on across the country? Two last place P6 teams fired their coaches, one made an underwhelming hire, the other appears heading for an underwhelming hire. Another P6 teams with a coach coming off two consecutive losing seasons with a chump change buyout is going to be fired. There's only been one firing of significance and in that case a donor agreed to pay the buyout for the school.

Maybe things heat up in a week here, but so far things have been relatively quiet.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #515 on: March 15, 2021, 03:53:11 PM »
At this point, anybody that hires a former Duke assistant (or continues to retain one) are complete morons. Sounds like something DePaul would do though.
It is something that the MU Jughead atr doing.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #516 on: March 15, 2021, 03:57:06 PM »
If Killings goes to Albany , I would not be surprised if Sy goes with him.

Wonder what our status would be with Mitchell and Justin Lewis at that point?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #517 on: March 15, 2021, 03:58:00 PM »

Georgetown had no Plan A, Plan B or Plan C when they fired John Thompson IV in 2017 and that allowed the elder Thompson to get Ewing in the door. There literally were no candidates interviewed over a month before Ewing's name was surfaced through Thompson's channels. If Marquette makes a change next year, they need three serious candidates on speed dial and to get it signed within ten days; otherwise, transfers and perceptions go out the door.

I'm surprised to hear they were so disorganized in 2017. Whenever I see a major school moving slowly in the hiring process, I tend to assume that it's more from getting rejected by their primary choices than from lack of preparation. Except DePaul, of course. ;)

But you're absolutely right - every major school needs to have its top options on speed dial whenever they make a move. And frankly, they even ought to have a succession plan if they aren't planning to make a move, because you never know when a guy might get a different offer, suffer a health issue, or otherwise find reason to leave.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #518 on: March 15, 2021, 03:58:46 PM »
What is going on across the country? Two last place P6 teams fired their coaches, one made an underwhelming hire, the other appears heading for an underwhelming hire. Another P6 teams with a coach coming off two consecutive losing seasons with a chump change buyout is going to be fired. There's only been one firing of significance and in that case a donor agreed to pay the buyout for the school.

Maybe things heat up in a week here, but so far things have been relatively quiet.
I think a lot of Coaches are getting a free pass for this season because of Covid. Schools have so much on their plate to ramp up for post covid, they don't want the distraction of a coaching search etc.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

panda

• All American
« Reply #519 on: March 15, 2021, 03:59:04 PM »
Wonder what our status would be with Mitchell and Justin Lewis at that point?

Lewis unfollowed (or was never following) Wojo on Instagram.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #520 on: March 15, 2021, 03:59:05 PM »

I'm surprised to hear they were so disorganized in 2017. Whenever I see a major school moving slowly in the hiring process, I tend to assume that it's more from getting rejected by their primary choices than from lack of preparation. Except DePaul, of course. ;)

But you're absolutely right - every major school needs to have its top options on speed dial whenever they make a move. And frankly, they even ought to have a succession plan if they aren't planning to make a move, because you never know when a guy might get a different offer, suffer a health issue, or otherwise find reason to leave.

They should also have a search firm ready to handle all of the background work that needs to get done these days.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #521 on: March 15, 2021, 03:59:55 PM »
Lewis unfollowed (or was never following) Wojo on Instagram.

LOL....so this might be news.  Or it might not be anything.  Or somewhere in between.

Thanks for your service.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #522 on: March 15, 2021, 04:00:40 PM »

LOL....so this might be news.  Or it might not be anything.  Or somewhere in between.

Thanks for your service.

You can make the choice of not responding. Or sounds like a pri**.

Thanks for your service.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #523 on: March 15, 2021, 04:08:50 PM »
I think a lot of Coaches are getting a free pass for this season because of Covid. Schools have so much on their plate to ramp up for post covid, they don't want the distraction of a coaching search etc.

You and I are in agreement Mr. Cain
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #524 on: March 15, 2021, 04:35:40 PM »
From what I've heard, MU wouldn't fire Wojo even if a generous benefactor concerned with Wojo offered to pony up the needed cash for the buyout.

Wins and losses just do not matter to Lovell (at all) or to many on the BOT.
Try anyway.  Donate the overage to the university.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback