* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by BLWarrior91
[Today at 08:41:56 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel  (Read 222214 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #475 on: March 15, 2021, 01:44:45 PM »
And Buzz's.

Oh, and I think folks can stop the "Marquette should go for Bennett or Oats" silliness now.

Yep. If MU were to fire Wojo, we would likely go after some assistant who has no more likelihood of success than Wojo.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #476 on: March 15, 2021, 01:49:04 PM »

Yep. If MU were to fire Wojo, we would likely go after some assistant who has no more likelihood of success than Wojo.

Since Al, every MU hire has been promoted assistant except for Dukiet and Deane.

Promoted assistants ... Hank, Rick, O'Neill, Crean, and Wojo.

Not seeing any reason to think a retread would be a good hire.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #477 on: March 15, 2021, 01:50:35 PM »
Indiana pulling off the band-aid regardless of buyout cost is the right move.  They will hire an upgrade.  Unfortunately, the MU brass is content with our program sliding into oblivion. 

You are either confident you have the right coach or you are not.  Its been 7 years here.  No one with half a brain can be confident we us having the right coach.  Meanwhile, avid fans become a little less avid.  Season ticketholders start to decrease and the reconstruction of a program becomes more and more difficult with each passing year that you are irrelevant.

By my account, Georgetown and St. Johns have passed us by.  We shall see who DePaul hires.  We are a Gates hire away from possibly being the new DePaul.

Good job MU!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #478 on: March 15, 2021, 02:04:43 PM »
Since Al, every MU hire has been promoted assistant except for Dukiet and Deane.

Promoted assistants ... Hank, Rick, O'Neill, Crean, and Wojo.

Not seeing any reason to think a retread would be a good hire.

Kelvin Sampson fired at Indiana
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #479 on: March 15, 2021, 02:09:07 PM »

The only decent hire they could make is

1) Porter Moser
2) a hotshot assistant

The school has been where retreads go to die (or want to get paid).

Seems to be a lot of chatter about Bryce Drew coming back to Chicago. He was very interested before they re-hired Leitao.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #480 on: March 15, 2021, 02:14:30 PM »
Indiana pulling off the band-aid regardless of buyout cost is the right move.  They will hire an upgrade.  Unfortunately, the MU brass is content with our program sliding into oblivion. 

You are either confident you have the right coach or you are not.  Its been 7 years here.  No one with half a brain can be confident we us having the right coach.  Meanwhile, avid fans become a little less avid.  Season ticketholders start to decrease and the reconstruction of a program becomes more and more difficult with each passing year that you are irrelevant.

By my account, Georgetown and St. Johns have passed us by.  We shall see who DePaul hires.  We are a Gates hire away from possibly being the new DePaul.

Good job MU!

6-8 weeks ago, did you think Georgetown had "passed us by"?

What has St. John's accomplished the last 2 decades that is materially superior to what Marquette has accomplished? Did they make the Final Four last season? I must have missed that. Are they headed there this year?

BTW - I agree with you that Marquette should pull off the Band-Aid and fire Wojo. I wanted him fired after the loss to DePaul. Still, the dramatic declarations that our program is doomed, destined to never win again ... it gets more over the top every day.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #481 on: March 15, 2021, 02:24:13 PM »
5000 scoopers
$2000 each from their stimulus check.

Done deal.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #482 on: March 15, 2021, 02:33:20 PM »

What has St. John's accomplished the last 2 decades that is materially superior to what Marquette has accomplished? Did they make the Final Four last season? I must have missed that. Are they headed there this year?

BTW - I agree with you that Marquette should pull off the Band-Aid and fire Wojo. I wanted him fired after the loss to DePaul. Still, the dramatic declarations that our program is doomed, destined to never win again ... it gets more over the top every day.

I don’t think the poster you quoted meant “passed us by” in terms of program history, but rather the current hierarchy in terms of winning programs in the conference.  St. John’s had a ton of momentum before Alexander got hurt, and Georgetown had a terrific run after their Covid pause.  Whether those programs can sustain and build off that momentum remains to be seen, but they both did better than Marquette this year.  DePaul is also going to get at least a one year head start on MU when it comes to rebuilding.

We may well have the worst coach in the conference.  Such a predicament seemed unthinkable during the Crean/Buzz years.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #483 on: March 15, 2021, 02:34:19 PM »
Can tell you DePaul is going after Orlando Antigua or Kenny Payne.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #484 on: March 15, 2021, 02:36:03 PM »
St. John’s had a ton of momentum before Alexander got hurt,

Are injury excuses allowed now?  Lewis and Theo would like to have a say then...

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #485 on: March 15, 2021, 02:38:13 PM »

Antigua was horrible at USF.  That would be the most DePaul thing ever.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #486 on: March 15, 2021, 02:39:02 PM »
Are injury excuses allowed now?  Lewis and Theo would like to have a say then...

I wasn’t really making an excuse for them one way or the other, just saying they looked pretty good before Alexander got hurt.  Anderson has done a pretty good job so far with that dumpster fire of a program, and he’s only in his second year.

But hey, Wojo will be back next year, so you’re getting what you want.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #487 on: March 15, 2021, 02:43:20 PM »

Lot of smoke around Kenny Payne.  I like both of these guys over Moser for them.  Antigua bombed at USF but was/is a big time recruiter.

Jeff Borzello mentioned Bobby Hurley and Jon Scheyer as well
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #488 on: March 15, 2021, 02:44:37 PM »
Lot of smoke around Kenny Payne.  I like both of these guys over Moser for them.  Antigua bombed at USF but was/is a big time recruiter.

Jeff Borzello mentioned Bobby Hurley and Jon Scheyer as well

Scheyer, lol.  Wojo 2.0

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #489 on: March 15, 2021, 02:46:34 PM »
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31070716/sources-depaul-blue-demons-fire-dave-leitao-5-straight-last-place-finishes

DePaul making a move.

Richard Driehaus, whose name is on DePaul's well ranked business school, unexpectedly passed away last week. He was by all accounts and extremely generous guy generally and had a special place for DePaul.

You can rest assured there is a substantial donation coming through Driehaus' will.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/obituaries/ct-richard-driehaus-obit-20210310-xylg7ap5w5gu5miebrn2ejsni4-story.html

We Are Marquette

MU82

• All American
« Reply #490 on: March 15, 2021, 02:49:56 PM »

It's only an excuse if it's Marquette. Any other program, it's a "fact."

Whether those programs can sustain and build off that momentum remains to be seen

We agree.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #491 on: March 15, 2021, 02:53:46 PM »
Each morning I wake up and check the headlines hoping to read MU and Wojo have parted ways.  Each day I am met with disappointment.  And each day that passes makes me think that I will be disappointed for another 365 ish days until we get the headline we want.

Just friggin do it.

Please.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #492 on: March 15, 2021, 02:55:58 PM »

St. Johns has made significant strides in a short time frame with Mike Anderson.  They have an identity.  They are getting better.  They are on the right track.

Georgetown lost their 2 best players last year to transfers and I would have fired Ewing then.  They have made huge strides this year and no one expected what they did to finish the year out.  Its been 7 years and it is becoming increasingly clear we are trending downwards.  Did I expect Georgetown to whip us and finish with a better record?  No.  But the standings say Georgetown 8, MU 9, Georgetown 2021 Conference Tourny Champs.  MU can't sniff a semifinal run ever.  Georgetown is still playing and we are out.  Yes its one year but it is clear that we as a basketball program are no longer superior to Georgetown.  That speaks volumes to the status of where our program is more than to what Georgetown is doing.  Both stink and I don't want to stink.

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #493 on: March 15, 2021, 02:58:52 PM »
Richard Driehaus, whose name is on DePaul's well ranked business school, unexpectedly passed away last week. He was by all accounts and extremely generous guy generally and had a special place for DePaul.

You can rest assured there is a substantial donation coming through Driehaus' will.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/obituaries/ct-richard-driehaus-obit-20210310-xylg7ap5w5gu5miebrn2ejsni4-story.html

Off Topic but when I was in HS through Freshman/Soph at MU I worked Valet and coat check at his mansion in Lake Geneva when he had parties.
I met him a couple times. Very friendly guy and paid us VERY well. Got to drive some pretty expensive cars too.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #494 on: March 15, 2021, 03:04:39 PM »
St. Johns has made significant strides in a short time frame with Mike Anderson.  They have an identity.  They are getting better.  They are on the right track.

St. John's KenPom:
2018 - 74
2019 - 88
2020 - 66
2021 - 67

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #495 on: March 15, 2021, 03:04:42 PM »
Each morning I wake up and check the headlines hoping to read MU and Wojo have parted ways.  Each day I am met with disappointment.  And each day that passes makes me think that I will be disappointed for another 365 ish days until we get the headline we want.

Just friggin do it.

Please.

They aren't firing him.  So either get used to waiting for a year, or find a different hobby.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #496 on: March 15, 2021, 03:07:23 PM »
I've been very impressed with Anderson at SJU. Barring mass transfers or Champagnie going pro, I expect them to be in the top 2 or 3 of the conference next season. Could even be #1 if Nova loses multiple players to the draft.

Georgetown went on a helluva run to end the season. I'm not convinced it's sustainable. We will see.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #497 on: March 15, 2021, 03:07:35 PM »
Off Topic but when I was in HS through Freshman/Soph at MU I worked Valet and coat check at his mansion in Lake Geneva when he had parties.
I met him a couple times. Very friendly guy and paid us VERY well. Got to drive some pretty expensive cars too.

Driehaus is a legend in Lake Geneva for how polite and generous he was to everyone. Favorite story about him is he had a party where there was a vintage Corvette at the party. Everyone got a Corvette key. Whomever's key turned the car on got to keep it as a party gift.
We Are Marquette

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #498 on: March 15, 2021, 03:07:40 PM »

Antigua was horrible at USF.  That would be the most DePaul thing ever.

and there was a little academic fraud scandal that led to his firing.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/sports/20170103/usf-fires-coach-orlando-antigua-amid-academic-fraud-investigation

Doesn't the face in the photo scream "I'm the future DePaul Coach?"

“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #499 on: March 15, 2021, 03:13:14 PM »
I've been very impressed with Anderson at SJU. Barring mass transfers or Champagnie going pro, I expect them to be in the top 2 or 3 of the conference next season. Could even be #1 if Nova loses multiple players to the draft.

Georgetown went on a helluva run to end the season. I'm not convinced it's sustainable. We will see.

Agree on both counts. I'd take Anderson over Ewing in a heartbeat.

feedback