[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MU82
[Today at 12:54:04 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel  (Read 222275 times)

Johnny B

• All American
Re: OT: 2021 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #275 on: March 10, 2021, 07:11:37 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #276 on: March 10, 2021, 07:11:59 PM »
What's John Beilein doing these days?

Waiting for a ready-made winning situation at a school that will pay him $5-6 million a year.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #277 on: March 10, 2021, 07:54:53 PM »
Waiting for a ready-made winning situation at a school that will pay him $5-6 million a year.

He on the B14 network right now.  Perhaps I'll give him a call.  :)

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #278 on: March 10, 2021, 08:31:33 PM »
Tim Legler was on the Ryen R pod pitching himself as a DI candidate. He was a little salty about the whole search firm process and would be a total didn't expect that choice. I have no idea how his AAU teams do vs how they are expected to do and I highly doubt he would be on any P6 radar. But got me thinking, what other out of left field choice could you see happening? I don't think our admin has the balls to do anything outside the norms, but fun to think about at least.

I guess all ex nba players without experience would fit this bill. Eurocoaches? Becky Hammond.   Darvin Ham.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #279 on: March 10, 2021, 08:35:25 PM »
Tim Legler was on the Ryen R pod pitching himself as a DI candidate. He was a little salty about the whole search firm process and would be a total didn't expect that choice. I have no idea how his AAU teams do vs how they are expected to do and I highly doubt he would be on any P6 radar. But got me thinking, what other out of left field choice could you see happening? I don't think our admin has the balls to do anything outside the norms, but fun to think about at least.

I guess all ex nba players without experience would fit this bill. Eurocoaches? Becky Hammond.   Darvin Ham.

I’d be all in on Legs.  Nothing to do with coaching ability though.  Have you seen his wife?

She’s an absolute dime.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #280 on: March 10, 2021, 08:35:35 PM »

Sister Jean?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #281 on: March 10, 2021, 08:35:56 PM »
Why would a team hire Tim Legler?  He’s never been a coach. Not even an assistant. He can be salty all he wants buts there’s a reason he isn’t getting major looks. If that is his goal, he has work to do to get there. Like almost everyone else has to do.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #282 on: March 10, 2021, 08:52:44 PM »
I don't think anyone would. Really trying to follow the Penny track minus that whole having Wiseman locked up before he started thing.  I guess Mullin didn't have any experience. Stack house, Ewing, and Howard all did. Maybe he got to the final round with Lasalle last time, I don't know.

Just wondering who else would qualify as a sneaky off the radar get. I mean no matter who they would get it's going to be a roll of the dice, would be more interesting if that person didn't fall into category of old coach looking for another gig, hot mid major coach coming off sweet 16, or Blueblood assistant du jour.

And yes, I'm going to pretend it's going to happen until it doesn't.

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #283 on: March 10, 2021, 09:31:27 PM »
Back to the issue of Coaching Carousel -- there's a former Marquette assistant coach who has been quietly putting together a solid resume.  Tod Kowalczyk rebuilt Green Bay after the program crashed and over the last eleven years has turned the Toledo program into a consistent winner.  Five, 20 win seasons in the last eight. https://twitter.com/ToledoMBB/status/1369665094657916928

🏀

• All American
« Reply #284 on: March 10, 2021, 10:05:37 PM »
Jon Jakus at Baylor, as someone previously mentioned is interesting.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #285 on: March 11, 2021, 07:53:02 AM »
Who says no to this coaching staff next year: Tom Crean, along with assistants Joe Chapman and Travis Diener.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #286 on: March 11, 2021, 07:57:38 AM »
Who says no to this coaching staff next year: Tom Crean, along with assistants Joe Chapman and Travis Diener.

Tom Crean, Joe Chapman and Travis Diener
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #287 on: March 11, 2021, 07:59:42 AM »
I don't think anyone would. Really trying to follow the Penny track minus that whole having Wiseman locked up before he started thing.  I guess Mullin didn't have any experience. Stack house, Ewing, and Howard all did. Maybe he got to the final round with Lasalle last time, I don't know.

Just wondering who else would qualify as a sneaky off the radar get. I mean no matter who they would get it's going to be a roll of the dice, would be more interesting if that person didn't fall into category of old coach looking for another gig, hot mid major coach coming off sweet 16, or Blueblood assistant du jour.

And yes, I'm going to pretend it's going to happen until it doesn't.

Penny was at least a high school coach and Mullin at least was in an NBA front office.  And one of those didn't work and the Penny experiment has had its ups and downs.

I guess Legler was a finalist at LaSalle a couple years ago.  And that's probably the best level he could hope for.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #288 on: March 11, 2021, 08:00:14 AM »

Me.  Time to move on.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #289 on: March 11, 2021, 08:01:18 AM »

Me.  Time to move on.

This, too.  Chasing ghosts of the past is a recipe for more mediocrity
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #290 on: March 11, 2021, 08:02:11 AM »
I like the Tod Kowalczyk hire idea.  Familiar with the program, solid where he goes, Wade is a fan...what else do you need.  A realistic hire.  But first things first please.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #291 on: March 11, 2021, 08:04:37 AM »
When does an athletic department typically conduct exit interviews with the coaches and staff?  Probably within the next several days, no?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #292 on: March 11, 2021, 08:05:17 AM »
I like the Tod Kowalczyk hire idea.  Familiar with the program, solid where he goes, Wade is a fan...what else do you need.  A realistic hire.  But first things first please.

Wade and LeBron were fans of the Wojo hire from Team USA days.

I haven’t done too much research on Kowalcyzk, but have seen his name a few times. Would he be a good option? Or are we just talking about coaches with MU experience, like Wardle?

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #293 on: March 11, 2021, 08:09:28 AM »
Tom Crean, Joe Chapman and Travis Diener

This was funny

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #294 on: March 11, 2021, 08:16:10 AM »

I haven’t done too much research on Kowalcyzk, but have seen his name a few times. Would he be a good option? Or are we just talking about coaches with MU experience, like Wardle?

Wade isn’t a good reason I get that but saw him say this awhile back.
I like guys who have had success.  Granted he hasn’t gone to the NCAA so that is probably a major ding but not a lot of losing records.  And looks like he was actually born in Green Bay?  Just another name I guess.  But I wouldn’t be upset if he were the guy.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #295 on: March 11, 2021, 08:18:57 AM »

When asked a question like, "What do you think of Marquette hiring Wojo", anyone who is a peer/colleague is going to say something positive.

Ever heard a coach in their post game drag the other team's coach?  "Marquette is a poorly coached team, and that's why we ran them out of the gym today".

No.  No one ever says anything like that.  You don't burn bridges, you don't disparage your opponents.  So of course Wade and Lebron are going to say they are fans of literally anyone that gets hired for a job. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #296 on: March 11, 2021, 08:20:26 AM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

• All American
« Reply #297 on: March 11, 2021, 08:38:24 AM »

Tod's been a mid major coach for 19 seasons and has yet to get to the NCAAs.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #298 on: March 11, 2021, 08:57:10 AM »
ND sucks.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #299 on: March 11, 2021, 09:10:59 AM »

Penny was at least a high school coach and Mullin at least was in an NBA front office.  And one of those didn't work and the Penny experiment has had its ups and downs.

I guess Legler was a finalist at LaSalle a couple years ago.  And that's probably the best level he could hope for.

Penny is also a Memphis legend, still a big NBA name, and was a massively marketable star in his prime. Plus, he’s been extremely connected in Memphis and Memphis youth basketball even before he was coaching HS.  Memphis has been producing lots of talent lately, and thinking he could put a wall around the city, as a result of what I mentioned, played no small role.

Legler is just a guy. Unremarkable NBA career, sure he’s an NBA analyst, but his name has no cache. It’s not like he’s a prominent Philly basketball influence. His Alma mater? Sure. But elsewhere? Nah.

As for Tod K, Toledo has played in the far weaker West division of the MAC. So he didn’t have to deal with Akron, Ohio, Kent, or Buffalo who were usually the class of the MAC. So his division record and titles were good but his tourney appearances were non existent cause he couldn’t get past them in the MAC tourney.  Solid coach but not an appealing candidate