'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why I think it won't be Williams  (Read 4547 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

Why I think it won't be Williams
« on: April 07, 2008, 02:21:31 PM »
I have said before that I'm sure Buzz Williams is a super nice guy and seems personable...in fact, I hope he stays on board. But in thinking about the possibility of him becoming our head coach, it just doesn't add up.

The last major coaching hire Marquette made was its men's soccer coach. In that situation we went out and stole the head coach of a more successful program -- did we not?

That's why I have a hard time believing we'd turn over the keys to our most important program to an unproven assistant coach with a somewhat questionable resume.

I mean, think about if we'd hired Dan Theiss after O'Neill left?

Anyway, I still expect a surprise choice.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
Re: Why I think it won't be Williams
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 02:24:14 PM »
But the soccer decision was made when Cords was still the AD.

Look at the track HC position: as far as I know, still vacant after a year plus, with Cottingham running the Athletic Department.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 02:26:15 PM »
I hope you are right PRN.  Williams may turn out to be a great coach someday, but we would be taking a huge gamble... I think even he would agree on that.  Like you said, I hope he stays aboard, but I would rather have someone who has proven D-1 head coaching experience and success.

If we do hire Williams, I will give him a chance and hope the gamble pays off.  But, let's go with a more proven commodity.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 02:45:25 PM »

Look at the track HC position: as far as I know, still vacant after a year plus, with Cottingham running the Athletic Department.

This dovetails with the AD position being open for 20 months and them not bringing in outside candidates. It's a cock-up since Cords left.

Cotting(S)ham has the ability to unnatural carnal knowledge us in this set-up.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 03:06:55 PM »
I think if Buzz was the choice, they would have let us know by now.  I think they are contacting other people right now.

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 03:11:46 PM »

This dovetails with the AD position being open for 20 months and them not bringing in outside candidates. It's a cock-up since Cords left.

Cotting(S)ham has the ability to frack us in this set-up.

The above is certainly NOT the only instance I've read of this, so I'm not attacking Coobey'sOilDepot but what's with everybody and their mother hating on Cottingham? Let's reserve judgments until he actually does something (i.e. hires a coach). I bet if he pulls Bennett or another nice rabbit out of his hat, he'll be MU Hero #1. If he doesn't, then go ahead.

Perhaps I'm missing some of his mistakes, other than the track coach. If so, fill me in.

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 03:16:29 PM »

Cotting(S)ham has the ability to frack us in this set-up.

The above is certainly NOT the only instance I've read of this, so I'm not attacking Coobey'sOilDepot but what's with everybody and their mother hating on Cottingham? Let's reserve judgments until he actually does something (i.e. hires a coach). I bet if he pulls Bennett or another nice rabbit out of his hat, he'll be MU Hero #1. If he doesn't, then go ahead.

Perhaps I'm missing some of his mistakes, other than the track coach. If so, fill me in.

x2

Give the guy a chance.  If you don't like the hire, whine about the people who hired him.  You can't blame him for taking the job!

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 03:33:41 PM »
I think it was a sham the way Cottingham was brought to the forefront. Cords retires, we set a search in motion, we hire an interim AD. Fine. We proceed not to take any candidate that applies seriously, the interim AD publicly states he has no interest in the job, we continue looking. Starting to slip a bit. Then, after 18 months or so the interim says, "well, maybe I will take the job" and since MU seemed to have little interest in interviewing candidates he is hired as AD. Uh oh.

Cottingham will get the jist of the blame since he's the actual guy but this was a cock-up the whole way through. I think it was a sham process and a sham choice to have someone who hasn't been an AD picked especially now that we are hitting in the big leagues with the Big East.

Thus, Cotting(S)ham.

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 03:36:02 PM »
Is it your position then that the admin knew it would be Cottingham from the start?

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 03:36:34 PM »
No they would not announce it by now, because everyone would freak out about them not doing a qualitative search.  

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 03:38:41 PM »
It's my position that Crean was instrumental in choosing our AD, which is why they were so dumbfounded when he ditched them without warning at the first opportunity.

The lesson in all of this is not to give so much decision-making ability to our basketball coach -- particularly if said basketball coach is a complete horse's ass.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 03:39:46 PM »
No. No. No. Until he gets a hire in place, the "hate" of what job C-ham is doing is legitimate. He's been around long enough to have an emergency plan in place. IF he didn't have a little black book of coaches he wanted to replace Crean along with some kind of an idea of what it would take to get them, then shame on him.

We are in the B.East now. If he does well w/the hire, then great. I hope he does do well. But with every passing day, with top targets saying they don't want the gig, and with one of our leading candidates an assistant that's been on board for one year - along with how long it took Cottingham to accept the job - it looks worse and worse by the day and only allows for more speculation and pessimism to set in.

Sorry, that's the nature of the BEast..and the Big East.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 03:39:57 PM »
Is it your position then that the admin knew it would be Cottingham from the start?

The admin wanted Cottingham from the start.  Crean was pushing for Broeker, but Wild had his heart set on Cottingham.  It just took him that long to convince him to take the job since Cottingham had no interest in it when it opened.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 03:41:11 PM »
It's my position that Crean was instrumental in choosing our AD, which is why they were so dumbfounded when he ditched them without warning at the first opportunity.

The lesson in all of this is not to give so much decision-making ability to our basketball coach -- particularly if said basketball coach is a complete horse's ass.

Not that he's not a horse's ass, but he didn't want Cottingham.  Crean's hand picked guy was Broeker, and he was upset when Cottingham got the job because they don't get along.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 03:43:38 PM »
Didn't get along? Didn't somebody post a picture of their families sitting together at one of the women's games? They looked like old friends to me.

Anybody who thinks Crean "reported" to Cottingham is fooling themselves, by the way.

2TimeWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 03:45:00 PM »
If you really think that SC and TC didn't get along, you're full of it.  First of all, the admin wouldn't have hired a guy that was at odds with their golden boy (yea, yea...here come the pun comments).  

SC was as big a Crean fan as most.  They got along fine.  Crean may have been able to control MB more, which would make him Crean's choice.  

It had nothing to do with how they got along.  You're reaching!

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 03:46:09 PM »
I think it was a sham the way Cottingham was brought to the forefront. Cords retires, we set a search in motion, we hire an interim AD. Fine. We proceed not to take any candidate that applies seriously, the interim AD publicly states he has no interest in the job, we continue looking. Starting to slip a bit. Then, after 18 months or so the interim says, "well, maybe I will take the job" and since MU seemed to have little interest in interviewing candidates he is hired as AD. Uh oh.

Cottingham will get the jist of the blame since he's the actual guy but this was a cock-up the whole way through. I think it was a sham process and a sham choice to have someone who hasn't been an AD picked especially now that we are hitting in the big leagues with the Big East.

Thus, Cotting(S)ham.

This soounds like the exact process that will lead to the hiring of Buzz... and that does not leave me feeling very optimistic about this program's future.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 03:59:36 PM »
If you really think that SC and TC didn't get along, you're full of it.  First of all, the admin wouldn't have hired a guy that was at odds with their golden boy (yea, yea...here come the pun comments).  

SC was as big a Crean fan as most.  They got along fine.  Crean may have been able to control MB more, which would make him Crean's choice.  

SC and TC are cordial to each other in public but that is about it.  SC is not the kind of guy that puts up with a lot of bs, and he's not the kind of guy that would let Crean walk all over him like Broeker likely would have, but he's smart enough to know when to not push things. 

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 04:42:59 PM »

bma725 is spouting much of what I've been told. I don't know much but I do know that Cottingham was not Crean's choice and it rubbed him a bit. Then again, it seems to be the one decision that went against Crean in his 9 years and he ran like a little girl so that could be the truest glimpse into his character.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 04:46:46 PM »
If you really think that SC and TC didn't get along, you're full of it.  First of all, the admin wouldn't have hired a guy that was at odds with their golden boy (yea, yea...here come the pun comments). 

SC was as big a Crean fan as most.  They got along fine.  Crean may have been able to control MB more, which would make him Crean's choice. 

It had nothing to do with how they got along.  You're reaching!

bma725 is spouting much of what I've been told. I don't know much but I do know that Cottingham was not Crean's choice and it rubbed him a bit. Then again, it seems to be the one decision that went against Crean in his 9 years and he ran like a little girl so that could be the truest glimpse into his character.

Do you seriously think he would have stayed here if not for Cottingham?

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 05:00:25 PM »
If you really think that SC and TC didn't get along, you're full of it.  First of all, the admin wouldn't have hired a guy that was at odds with their golden boy (yea, yea...here come the pun comments). 

SC was as big a Crean fan as most.  They got along fine.  Crean may have been able to control MB more, which would make him Crean's choice. 

It had nothing to do with how they got along.  You're reaching!

Do you seriously think he would have stayed here if not for Cottingham?

It's Indiana. It's Indiana.

Seriously, though, he probably would have still gone to the Hoosiers but what if Cottingham wasn't just hired 2 months ago and the sting of losing for the first time in 9 years wasn't so fresh? Who knows but it's a piece of the puzzle.

feedback