'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: So who's gonna draft Henry????  (Read 15096 times)

real chili 83

• All American
So who's gonna draft Henry????
« on: April 13, 2016, 12:06:03 PM »
Early on, lots of speculation that he would end up a Woofie.

Today, Grandpa Sports on his radio show poo poo'ed the idea in so many words, saying MN need's a proven three pointer.  That aint Henry...yet.

As annoying as it is to listen to Sid in the morning, he's pretty connected.

For those of you outside MN, Sid Hartman is our 107 year old sports columnist.  He's been a sports writer for about 80 decades.

Soooo, what team is HE most likely to end up on?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: So who's gonna draft Henry????
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 12:30:33 PM »
Wolves do make a lot of sense. A lineup of

PG: Rubio
SG: LaVine
SF: Wiggins
PF: Ellenson
C: Towns Jr

Should be able to make a lot of damage in a year or two. But it really depends on where they end up in the lottery. If they somehow get the number one pick, they aren't going to spend it on Ellenson.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 12:33:34 PM »
Would help ta know da draft position of teams, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 12:47:49 PM »

Should be able to make a lot of damage in a year or two. But it really depends on where they end up in the lottery. If they somehow get the number one pick, they aren't going to spend it on Ellenson.

I heard today that they were pretty close to being a lock for drafting 5th.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 12:49:33 PM »
I think Denver would be a good fit for him. They're very thin up front and not thrilled with Kenneth Faried.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 12:52:25 PM »
Would help ta know da draft position of teams, hey?

So any wild guesses will be just a tiny bit less wild?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 04:05:53 PM »
There is the added bonus of  Henry being the only lottery pick who would be genuinely happy about being drafted by the 'Wolves.
Have some patience, FFS.

brandx

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 04:08:15 PM »
I heard today that they were pretty close to being a lock for drafting 5th.

No team in the lottery is locked yet.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 04:24:29 PM »

Part of me hopes the Wolves get Ellenson, but there's no way he starts over Dieng in year 1.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 04:37:20 PM »
Part of me hopes the Wolves get Ellenson, but there's no way he starts over Dieng in year 1.

Even worse, he'd need to start over Towns. Dieng plays center and towns at PF. Then they have Muhammad and foreign guy that fill the role of scorer/terrible defender. He probably wouldn't play much, even on the wolves. Wolves need a shooter, that's what they'll draft. Buddy or Murray.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 05:51:13 PM »
The Wolves won't be giving up on Wiggins.  He's currently not a long range shooter but he seems entrenched at either SF/SG

would they be giving up on LaVine?   He's played well the past couple months.  16+ pts game and 44.4% from 3pt after the All-Star Game.  Maybe the Wolves think LaVine can play the point.   

I could see them dumping Rubio and adding Hield, but LaVine, even though he's seeing some time at PG, isn't putting up any type of assist numbers.  Shots outnumber assists about 5 to 1. Towns has more assists than LaVine.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 06:00:11 PM by oldwarrior81 »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 07:15:28 PM »

Let us smoke some more!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 08:31:49 PM »
The Wolves won't be giving up on Wiggins.  He's currently not a long range shooter but he seems entrenched at either SF/SG

would they be giving up on LaVine?   He's played well the past couple months.  16+ pts game and 44.4% from 3pt after the All-Star Game.  Maybe the Wolves think LaVine can play the point.   

I could see them dumping Rubio and adding Hield, but LaVine, even though he's seeing some time at PG, isn't putting up any type of assist numbers.  Shots outnumber assists about 5 to 1. Towns has more assists than LaVine.

Unfortunately I'm a wolves fan. They tried that Levine at PG thing, it didn't go well. However, He's only 21 and led wolves in 3 point %. I think the Wolves will be a fringe playoff team next year with a new coach. Towns may be a dark horse MVP candidate, he's amazing. The rockets, mavs and grizz are at the end of their run. They need a shooter off the bench, their second team is pretty bad outside of Shabaz. Can't see them taking Hank.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 10:08:26 PM »
Even closer to home, I don't see the Bucks picking Hank.  They already have an offense first power forward in Parker, and they really need help at PG (Buddy would look great in cream and green) or center

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 09:07:52 AM »
Let us smoke some more!

So you think Henry is ready to start for an NBA team? Hah. Much less the Wolves, who sorely need defense in the post - something Henry will not provide early in his career, if ever.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 09:32:29 AM »
A few thoughts:

++ Sid hasn't been "connected" for at least three decades. His downward spiral started in 1985 with this memorable call: "Holtz could leave Minnesota for Notre Dame, but I don't think so." There are no more Max Winters, Carl Pohlads or Lou Nannes kowtowing to Sid. I do admire his energy, though. He has more get-up-and-go than I do, and, at 55, I'm a third his age.

++ I have no idea if the Wolves will draft Ellenson, but the notion that he and Towns couldn't play together is dopey. NBA teams no longer define positions as "center," "shooting guard," "power forward," etc. The Warriors, who last I looked were the league's best team, often use nothing even remotely resembling a "center." Dieng would play about 5 minutes a game for them. The Hornets improved when they put Marvin Williams (heretofore a SF) at PF and Zeller (heretofore a PF) at C. Who is Cleveland's center during the 31 mpg when Mozgov isn't on the floor? Etc, etc, etc.

++ Of course Henry isn't "ready" to play in the NBA yet; the vast majority of rookies aren't. Kobe averaged 7.6 ppg as a rookie. But many of the same folks doubting Hankster now were predicting he'd average only 6 and 3 for us and were saying there was no way he'd leave after one year. He has the potential to be a productive NBA player. How hard he works to improve -- and then improves -- is largely up to him.

++ The NBA Draft Lottery is still 6 weeks away. We won't know who is drafting where until then.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

classof70

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 09:35:58 AM »
I'm not sold that he goes in the top 10, in which case I think he'd have been better off staying at MU.  Hope he does, but I wouldn't be surprised if he drops out of the top 10, not necessarily because there are that many better power forwards but other position players who will go ahead of him.  Still, even if he's #11 it's tough to turn your back on about $10 million!!  I did see one mock draft putting him at #19.  Bad for Henry, good for team that gets him that low and cheap.     

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 10:12:22 AM »
++ The NBA Draft Lottery is still 6 weeks away. We won't know who is drafting where until then.

Yes and no.  Only the top three spots in the lottery are drawn randomly.  The 4th spot is the worst team who didn't draw 1, 2, or 3, and so on.

With the season done, we know that the reverse standings look like this:
1. Sixers
2. Lakers (to Sixers if not in top 3...but it's the NBA so you know the Lakers are winning the lottery)
3. Celtics (from Nets)
4. Suns
5. Timberwolves
6. Pelicans
7. Denver or Toronto (from Knicks)
8. Nuggets
9. Bulls or Kings (holy hell these pick swap scenarios are crazy)
10. Bucks
11. Magic
12. Jazz
13. Suns (from Wizards...probably)
14. Bulls

I think, based on what I have seen in prospect rankings that HE will go between 8 and 12.  Right now, that means that Denver, Sacramento or Chicago, Milwaukee, Orlando, and Utah are in that range.  If teams from the back of the pack win lottery spots, it pushes the Nuggets (probably), Pelicans, and maaaaybe Wolves into HE-range.

So, no, we don't KNOW who is picking where, but we can guess that HE will end up with one of these squads: Nuggets, Bulls, Kings, Bucks, Magic, Jazz, Pelicans.

With my limited NBA knowledge, these are my guesses:
Nuggets: I know nothing about them.
Bulls: Already have similar players in Dougie and Mirotic
Kings: Here's hoping HE doesn't end up in this dumpster fire
Bucks: Similar player in Jabari, other more pressing needs
Magic: I know nothing about them.
Jazz: Don't see HE breaking into the Hayward, Gobert, Favors front-court rotation
Pelicans: Could pair really well with the Brow, and could replace FA Ryan Anderson (but I don't see him getting picked this high)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 11:05:17 AM »
Yes and no.  Only the top three spots in the lottery are drawn randomly.  The 4th spot is the worst team who didn't draw 1, 2, or 3, and so on.

With the season done, we know that the reverse standings look like this:
1. Sixers
2. Lakers (to Sixers if not in top 3...but it's the NBA so you know the Lakers are winning the lottery)
3. Celtics (from Nets)
4. Suns
5. Timberwolves
6. Pelicans
7. Denver or Toronto (from Knicks)
8. Nuggets
9. Bulls or Kings (holy hell these pick swap scenarios are crazy)
10. Bucks
11. Magic
12. Jazz
13. Suns (from Wizards...probably)
14. Bulls

I think, based on what I have seen in prospect rankings that HE will go between 8 and 12.  Right now, that means that Denver, Sacramento or Chicago, Milwaukee, Orlando, and Utah are in that range.  If teams from the back of the pack win lottery spots, it pushes the Nuggets (probably), Pelicans, and maaaaybe Wolves into HE-range.

So, no, we don't KNOW who is picking where, but we can guess that HE will end up with one of these squads: Nuggets, Bulls, Kings, Bucks, Magic, Jazz, Pelicans.

With my limited NBA knowledge, these are my guesses:
Nuggets: I know nothing about them.
Bulls: Already have similar players in Dougie and Mirotic
Kings: Here's hoping HE doesn't end up in this dumpster fire
Bucks: Similar player in Jabari, other more pressing needs
Magic: I know nothing about them.
Jazz: Don't see HE breaking into the Hayward, Gobert, Favors front-court rotation
Pelicans: Could pair really well with the Brow, and could replace FA Ryan Anderson (but I don't see him getting picked this high)

Draft order: Those are reasonable assumptions, but history is filled with teams making dramatic moves up the board.

Who "needs" or "doesn't need" a player like Henry: Most teams don't think this way, especially teams that are nowhere near being contenders. They want talented players, period. It gives them options, gives them trading chips, lets them survive free-agent departures, etc.

The Hornets didn't "need" Vonleh two years ago, that's for sure. But after letting him hang around the fringes of the roster for one season, they put him in a trade package that delivered Nic Batum, a huge reason they were one of the most improved teams in the league.

Vonleh, the Hornets didn't "need"; Batum, they absolutely needed. Therefore, although Vonleh barely played for them, he ended up being a good draft pick -- a means to an end.

Predicting where Henry might go or how he might be used is fun, it's what a fan board is for. But it's really a fruitless exercise.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 11:13:10 AM »
A few thoughts:

++ Sid hasn't been "connected" for at least three decades. His downward spiral started in 1985 with this memorable call: "Holtz could leave Minnesota for Notre Dame, but I don't think so." There are no more Max Winters, Carl Pohlads or Lou Nannes kowtowing to Sid. I do admire his energy, though. He has more get-up-and-go than I do, and, at 55, I'm a third his age.

Sid's a close, personal friend of Bobby Knight.  Just ask him!  He's connected!!!

Curious, when you worked in the TC as a reporter, how many times did you hear that from Sid?

Boards

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 12:35:18 PM »
There is the added bonus of  Henry being the only lottery pick who would be genuinely happy about being drafted by the 'Wolves.

Awful take. Any lottery pick would be thrilled to come to Twolves - exciting young talent, back to back ROYs, fast pace of play, won't be forced to make an impact right away with KAT and Wiggins taking that primary play maker role, brand new facilities right across the street from stadium.

I know this thread is about HE and I hope he does well in the league but I had to defend my Timberpuppies.

As for Henry he'll need a place to develop. Toronto or Orlando wouldn't be bad landing spots for him where he wouldn't have to be a bruiser down low with Jonas Valančiūnas and Nikola Vučević patrolling the paint, respectively. HE needs to put muscle on his frame so he won't get pushed around in the league, don't get me wrong he had a phenomenal year at Marquette but there were times where he got pushed around by smaller guys and didn't hesitate to whine to the refs. All in all I hope he has a 13+ year NBA career but there most certainly will be a learning curve and I hope he lands in a place with people that can help him grow into a legit NBA player.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 12:42:05 PM »
I am hoping Henry goes to the T Wolves. I think being close to home will be a huge benefit for him as he goes to this next stage. Also, I think the fans there will really support him.

Hopefully he becomes a modern day George Mikan for them.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 01:10:02 PM »

Awful take. Any lottery pick would be thrilled to come to Twolves - exciting young talent, back to back ROYs, fast pace of play, won't be forced to make an impact right away with KAT and Wiggins taking that primary play maker role, brand new facilities right across the street from stadium.

I know this thread is about HE and I hope he does well in the league but I had to defend my Timberpuppies.

As for Henry he'll need a place to develop. Toronto or Orlando wouldn't be bad landing spots for him where he wouldn't have to be a bruiser down low with Jonas Valančiūnas and Nikola Vučević patrolling the paint, respectively. HE needs to put muscle on his frame so he won't get pushed around in the league, don't get me wrong he had a phenomenal year at Marquette but there were times where he got pushed around by smaller guys and didn't hesitate to whine to the refs. All in all I hope he has a 13+ year NBA career but there most certainly will be a learning curve and I hope he lands in a place with people that can help him grow into a legit NBA player.

Yeah....but you have to live in Minnesota.'

I can say it! I lived there for 6 years!
TAMU

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 02:17:49 PM »

Yah, hey, sure you do.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 02:19:02 PM »
Sid's a close, personal friend of Bobby Knight.  Just ask him!  He's connected!!!

Curious, when you worked in the TC as a reporter, how many times did you hear that from Sid?

I mostly heard about his close personal friends when I listened to him on the radio; in person, he didn't talk like that (most of the time).

I miss his radio show. He'd be on with Tom Kelly -- I called it The Worst Hour On Radio -- and some guy would call in pledging his loyalty to the Twins. The caller would ask an innocuous question, Kelly would get pissed off, and Sid would call the caller stupid. It was hilarious. And I still do a pretty good imitation of Sid trying to get Rickey Foggie on the telephone for his show. "Rickey? Rickey, you there? Rickey?"

When I got to Minny, in 1985, I was a young kid determined to be the opposite of a homer. And Sid was the biggest homer of all time, so we got off to a bad start. But after a few years, I grew up enough to stop taking him seriously. I had my sarcasm on full-blast and loved making fun of him ... and he often was too dense to know he was being made fun of.

Make no mistake, at one time Sid was as connected as any newspaper sports person in the country. There was a several year stretch during which he simultaneously was the sports editor/columnist of the Tribune AND de-facto GM of the Minneapolis Lakers -- seriously. For decades, no Minnesota sports team did anything major without first getting Sid's opinion and/or blessing.

By the time I got there, things already had been changing for him. Mike Lynn knew how to play Sid but he sure as hell wasn't going through Sid, and the Twins had just hired Andy MacPhail -- who also certainly wasn't treating Sid like anything special.

Sid LOVED Holtz -- helped bring him to the school -- and he was sure the Notre Dame rumors weren't true. As I said in an earlier post, even the morning Holtz left, Sid was saying he thought Holtz would stay. That's when I knew Sid The Kingmaker was officially over. Sid kissed Holtz's ass for two years, never wrote or said a bad word about him. And yet Holtz lied to Sid for weeks about Notre Dame and, IIRC, the St. Paul paper actually ended up breaking the story while Sid was still saying Holtz was staying. Embarrassing for the paper; soul-crushing for Sid.

As the years went on, the athletes, coaches and GMs needed Sid less and less. You think Denny Green or Bob Gainey or Christian Laettner gave a rat's rump what Sid had to say?

But again, Sid puts in the hours. He's a dinosaur, yes, but an amazing one.

Boards

• Walk-On
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 03:32:18 PM »

You mean you GET to live in Minnesota. Grew up here and still live in St. Paul soon to move to Minneapolis. Loved my time at Marquette and Milwaukee will always have a special place in my heart but come on. Twin Cities > Milwaukee.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 03:38:26 PM »
You mean you GET to live in Minnesota. Grew up here and still live in St. Paul soon to move to Minneapolis. Loved my time at Marquette and Milwaukee will always have a special place in my heart but come on. Twin Cities > Milwaukee.

I'm torn on that one. I lived in S. St. Paul and Burnsville 1987-1990. As a metro area I give an edge to the TC but I cannot leave out the weather factor. Other than more sunshine in the TC December-March the brutal cold in MN winters offsets the metro factor IMO. Summers are pretty much equal.

I might be mis-remembering but in early '88 wasn't like 45 straight days below freezing and 30 something of those below zero? I did like being able to drive to Afton Alps after working all day and getting some runs in during the week.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2016, 03:41:20 PM »

For real.

I'm torn on that one. I lived in S. St. Paul and Burnsville 1987-1990. As a metro area I give an edge to the TC but I cannot leave out the weather factor. Other than more sunshine in the TC December-March the brutal cold in MN winters offsets the metro factor IMO. Summers are pretty much equal.

I might be mis-remembering but in early '88 wasn't like 45 straight days below freezing and 30 something of those below zero? I did like being able to drive to Afton Alps after working all day and getting some runs in during the week.

The only four years I haven't lived in MN was at Marquette.  I actually think Milwaukee is just as cold as Minneapolis - you don't get those nasty winds in Mpls.  Plus the city is much cleaner, less crime, better and more jobs, less riff raff, more to do.  Its really just an all around better city, IMO. I love Milwaukee and it was a great place to go to college, but it doesn't hold a torch to MN.  Plus, you don't have to deal with unnatural carnal knowledgein' Sconnies everyday. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2016, 03:59:53 PM »

Ah the 651 disease. You're born with it and you die with it. I have been privileged enough to live in six different states and I can say without a shred of hesitation that Minnesota is the worst of them IMHO. And I lived in Michigan!

But please, before this causes a flame war, know this. I am some random guy on the internet. I am not trying to state this as a fact, it is just merely my opinion. I'm not going to get into argument about which city is better and trying to find subjective things that prove one city over the other. I lived there, it wasn't my cup of tea. Probably has something to do with the fact that I spent my high school years there and who doesn't hate high school?
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2016, 04:11:15 PM »
Probably has something to do with the fact that I spent my high school years there and who doesn't hate high school?

Alot of people?

onepost

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2016, 04:15:13 PM »
Loved high school

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2016, 04:23:02 PM »
Minnesota people love to say it's a different kind of cold...yet they build more skywalks than any town this side of Edmonton.

I love when former Marquette students talk about Milwaukee...they think John Hawk's is the fancy restaurant and Wolski's is a grown up bar.

Does Minnesota have any spots that are not chains in the 'burbs.  Maybe St Paul does but the MPLS side seems like the only night life is a chain in Edina.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2016, 04:34:29 PM »
And what time do the bars close on weekends in Minneapolis?  Midnight?  C'mon, man!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

brandx

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2016, 04:35:09 PM »
I mostly heard about his close personal friends when I listened to him on the radio; in person, he didn't talk like that (most of the time).

I miss his radio show. He'd be on with Tom Kelly -- I called it The Worst Hour On Radio -- and some guy would call in pledging his loyalty to the Twins. The caller would ask an innocuous question, Kelly would get pissed off, and Sid would call the caller stupid. It was hilarious. And I still do a pretty good imitation of Sid trying to get Rickey Foggie on the telephone for his show. "Rickey? Rickey, you there? Rickey?"

When I got to Minny, in 1985, I was a young kid determined to be the opposite of a homer. And Sid was the biggest homer of all time, so we got off to a bad start. But after a few years, I grew up enough to stop taking him seriously. I had my sarcasm on full-blast and loved making fun of him ... and he often was too dense to know he was being made fun of.

Make no mistake, at one time Sid was as connected as any newspaper sports person in the country. There was a several year stretch during which he simultaneously was the sports editor/columnist of the Tribune AND de-facto GM of the Minneapolis Lakers -- seriously. For decades, no Minnesota sports team did anything major without first getting Sid's opinion and/or blessing.

By the time I got there, things already had been changing for him. Mike Lynn knew how to play Sid but he sure as hell wasn't going through Sid, and the Twins had just hired Andy MacPhail -- who also certainly wasn't treating Sid like anything special.

Sid LOVED Holtz -- helped bring him to the school -- and he was sure the Notre Dame rumors weren't true. As I said in an earlier post, even the morning Holtz left, Sid was saying he thought Holtz would stay. That's when I knew Sid The Kingmaker was officially over. Sid kissed Holtz's ass for two years, never wrote or said a bad word about him. And yet Holtz lied to Sid for weeks about Notre Dame and, IIRC, the St. Paul paper actually ended up breaking the story while Sid was still saying Holtz was staying. Embarrassing for the paper; soul-crushing for Sid.

As the years went on, the athletes, coaches and GMs needed Sid less and less. You think Denny Green or Bob Gainey or Christian Laettner gave a rat's rump what Sid had to say?

But again, Sid puts in the hours. He's a dinosaur, yes, but an amazing one.

Excellent post.

Too often we have one-dimensional images of others when they are just as layered as we think we are.

we just remember them as they were at the end.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2016, 04:48:39 PM »
And what time do the bars close on weekends in Minneapolis?  Midnight?  C'mon, man!

I could live in either MN or Milwaukee.  Both are great options.  Similar in many ways.  It's like most any town, its what you make of it. 

I've replicated the RC recipe, so spose it means I can live anywhere!  I fish in Canada with some guys from Milwaukee.  The only reason they invite me is because of my RC recipe. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2016, 10:13:33 PM »
I could live in either MN or Milwaukee.  Both are great options.  Similar in many ways.  It's like most any town, its what you make of it. 

I've replicated the RC recipe, so spose it means I can live anywhere!  I fish in Canada with some guys from Milwaukee.  The only reason they invite me is because of my RC recipe.
Chili give yourself more credit you're a stand up guy. But yes, I bet the RC recipe helps  :D
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2016, 11:08:04 PM »

I don't remember the exact year but I lived in Minny then and yes, we had 30+ days below zero. And then it finally got ALL THE WAY UP TO 20, and folks were running around in short sleeves!

After I moved to Chicago, I joked that it was because I wanted to go somewhere warm. It was a joke, but Chicago is MUCH warmer than Minny.

I liked the 9 1/2 years we spent in Minny. Both my kids were born there, my career took a huge leap there and some of my best friends still live there. But when people ask me if Minny really is as cold as people claim, I say, "Yes, but colder."

Of course, that was before Gore invented global warming (and after he invented the Internet), so maybe today's Minny is like Georgia was 20 years ago.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2016, 07:22:41 AM »
For real.

The only four years I haven't lived in MN was at Marquette.  I actually think Milwaukee is just as cold as Minneapolis - you don't get those nasty winds in Mpls.  Plus the city is much cleaner, less crime, better and more jobs, less riff raff, more to do.  Its really just an all around better city, IMO. I love Milwaukee and it was a great place to go to college, but it doesn't hold a torch to MN.  Plus, you don't have to deal with unnatural carnal knowledgein' Sconnies everyday. 

Milwaukee is a bit warmer in the winter because it stays cloudy so much and the lake helps it stay warmer, of course MKE is still too cold but it ain't MN cold!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2016, 07:33:24 AM »
Milwaukee is a bit warmer in the winter because it stays cloudy so much and the lake helps it stay warmer, of course MKE is still too cold but it ain't MN cold!

I agree with this. My brother lives in the Twin Cities.  He makes it sound definitely colder than Milwaukee.  Milwaukee is not Green Bay weather-wise either.  Milwaukee winter weather is much more like Connecticut.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2016, 09:27:52 AM »
The only thing Minnesota is missing is a pro football team
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2016, 09:29:40 AM »

Meh.  I've lived in both for extended periods.  Lived in Milwaukee for four years through 2012, Mpls the rest of my life. I actually think they're pretty similar, but then again, I am not terribly bothered by the cold.  The winds off the lake make what may be 5 or 10 degrees "warmer" feel colder, IMO.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2016, 09:30:05 AM »
Does Walter's MU tuition get worked into his rookie contract?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2016, 11:01:05 AM »
Ah the 651 disease. You're born with it and you die with it. I have been privileged enough to live in six different states and I can say without a shred of hesitation that Minnesota is the worst of them IMHO. And I lived in Michigan!

But please, before this causes a flame war, know this. I am some random guy on the internet. I am not trying to state this as a fact, it is just merely my opinion. I'm not going to get into argument about which city is better and trying to find subjective things that prove one city over the other. I lived there, it wasn't my cup of tea. Probably has something to do with the fact that I spent my high school years there and who doesn't hate high school?

You're certainly right that it's just opinion.  IMHO, a lot of it has to do with how you life was going more generally when you lived there (Did you enjoy your school/job?; Could you afford to live reasonably well and in a nice neighborhood?).

Like you, I have lived in six states (WI, IL, TN, PA, VA and MN).  Of the six, TN was my favorite, with MN a close second.  Maybe that's because I was in my 20s when I lived in Nashville, I loved law school, and my wife had a pretty decent job.  And maybe I like MN now because I live in a beautiful neighborhood and have a great job. Or maybe it's because TN and MN are pretty nice places. 

My least favorite was IL, by a wide margin.  Maybe that's because I hated my job, my wife hated hers, and we lived in a crappy neighborhood.  Or maybe it's because Chicago just isn't my kind of town (to live in).

Bottom line:  Only Henry knows what he thinks of the prospect of living in MN.  And it could range anywhere from a dream come true to a living he!!.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 11:03:17 AM by GooooMarquette »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2016, 11:35:13 AM »

And the best part is, it does not count against the cap.  Glenn Taylor has this.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2016, 12:11:03 PM »
https://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/US/coldest-cities-winter.php

Out of the 51 largest cities in United States, Minneapolis, Minnesota has the coldest winter weather, based on average daily temperatures. It's the only American city that normally remains well below freezing throughout the day during December, January and February.

The extreme winter weather at Minneapolis covers the entire metropolitan area, taking in the adjoining city of St. Paul, where the temperature is no warmer.

Milwaukee is 2nd on the list but has a 6 degree higher mean temp (19 vs. 25), Chicago is next at 26F

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2016, 12:13:57 PM »
https://www.currentresults.com/Weather-Extremes/US/coldest-cities-winter.php

Out of the 51 largest cities in United States, Minneapolis, Minnesota has the coldest winter weather, based on average daily temperatures. It's the only American city that normally remains well below freezing throughout the day during December, January and February.

The extreme winter weather at Minneapolis covers the entire metropolitan area, taking in the adjoining city of St. Paul, where the temperature is no warmer.

Milwaukee is 2nd on the list but has a 6 degree higher mean temp (19 vs. 25), Chicago is next at 26F

Just guessing...but I suspect Rice Lake falls closer to MPLS than MKE.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2016, 12:24:58 PM »
you thought this thread was still about HE?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 02:16:35 PM by Waldo Jeffers »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2016, 04:40:17 PM »
I have a very good friend that grew up in Austin, MN, did his college years at UM and then spent the first few years of his career in St. Cloud.  Moved to Chicago to get some warmth.  Then to Sarasota in retirement.  And while he still has a modest soft spot for his Vikings, he's now a full fledged Bucs fan.  No Wisconsin Packer fan would ever make such a transition, as least as it pertains to our beloved football team.  Therein lies one's true answer.   ;D

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2016, 11:11:36 PM »
Lived in Minny my whole life, save four years of college in Virginia.  My husband is a lifer as well, and we both agree that winters here now are not in any way as harsh as they were when we were kids (we're talking the 1960's here).  I can remember long stretches of time where the temp never got above 0, where the temp was actually -32 degrees (not just windchill), and where we occasionally DID walk 2 miles to school in 3-4 feet of snow.  Winter has mellowed considerably in the Twin Cities over the past 50+ years.  That's not to say it isn't still long, dreary and altogether too cold.  But it's a great place to raise kids with good old fashioned Midwestern values, and communities are very tight-knit and supportive.  Don't see myself calling anywhere else my "home base," although I wouldn't say no to spending Jan -March in Hawaii every year.

Henry would love it here. But the wolves are getting a new coach and GM, so who knows what direction they will go in June.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2016, 11:15:28 PM »
Don't see myself calling anywhere else my "home base," although I wouldn't say no to spending Jan -March in Hawaii every year.

Soon enough, you'll be able to have it both ways. A little more melting of the polar ice caps and Minny of tomorrow will be as warm as Hawaii of today!

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2016, 08:04:22 AM »
The stupidest thing a bottom five team can do is pick on fit. Either acquire the best assets and sort it out later or trade down. I don't see Ellenson in the top 8 when all said done. I just don't see his game translating to today's NBA as well as it would have five years ago. Still definitely a lottery pick but I think he slide just a little bit.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2016, 08:11:22 AM »
For real.

Do we always have to have these conversations? 

I prefer Milwaukee.  Others feel differently.  Really no big deal.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2016, 09:41:38 AM »

Boom!

Why they hell are you talking about the Ellensons in the middle of the comparative weather thread?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2016, 10:46:52 AM »
Soon enough, you'll be able to have it both ways. A little more melting of the polar ice caps and Minny of tomorrow will be as warm as Hawaii of today!

It is literally (and I'm using that correctly) my life's work to make sure this doesn't happen.  But it's an uphill battle.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2016, 03:37:18 PM »
It is literally (and I'm using that correctly) my life's work to make sure this doesn't happen.  But it's an uphill battle.

Great Mom even more respect for you.
Goal is National Championship

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2016, 05:33:24 PM »
It's 80 degrees here today.  I've had brisket on the smoker since 5:30.  Ribs are about to get wrapped and finished.  And yes, warm bacon grease was involved today. 

When it's good up here, it's great.  Winters are what you make of them.  Nothing like 110 mph across a frozen lake. 

Sultan, this is my thread, so back off.   :o

Anyways, it would be fun to see HE here.  Not sure it will happen.  Woofies are on an upswing.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2016, 06:21:38 PM »
Our friends in the UP are watching the ice go out on a beautiful 76 degree afternoon.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2016, 08:43:25 PM »
I don't watch the Timberwolves enough to know but from what I've seen of Wiggins he seems closer to a Carmelo Anthony who yes can fill it up in the points column, but that's the only thing he does well and a lot of times it takes him a lot of attempts to do that. I see him holding them back more than being a reason to look forward to the future for Minnesota. Somewhat the same for LaVine

KAT is a different story. He's going to be as good as there is in the NBA real soon. But you need more around a guy who's a center than you do a guy who's a SF or PG. Just look at the Pelicans.

To me personally, I think the Wolves are trying to get rid of the wrong guy (Rubio) and should be seeing what absurd pieces you can get for Wiggins. I get it, he can be a piece that can get you to the Playoffs for the first time in a while. But if you really want to win a Title I don't think he's a guy you can have on the roster. If you have KAT and a guy who does some of everything (say you find a guy who turns into your version of Draymond Green), Rubio is an awesome PG if you surround those 2 with 2 shooting wings.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2016, 10:59:50 PM »
I have a very good friend that grew up in Austin, MN, did his college years at UM and then spent the first few years of his career in St. Cloud.  Moved to Chicago to get some warmth.  Then to Sarasota in retirement.  And while he still has a modest soft spot for his Vikings, he's now a full fledged Bucs fan.  No Wisconsin Packer fan would ever make such a transition, as least as it pertains to our beloved football team.  Therein lies one's true answer.   ;D

Sounds like your very good friend just needs to be punched in the head.

That's what I got out of it.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2016, 11:05:40 PM »
I don't watch the Timberwolves enough to know but from what I've seen of Wiggins he seems closer to a Carmelo Anthony who yes can fill it up in the points column, but that's the only thing he does well and a lot of times it takes him a lot of attempts to do that. I see him holding them back more than being a reason to look forward to the future for Minnesota. Somewhat the same for LaVine

KAT is a different story. He's going to be as good as there is in the NBA real soon. But you need more around a guy who's a center than you do a guy who's a SF or PG. Just look at the Pelicans.

To me personally, I think the Wolves are trying to get rid of the wrong guy (Rubio) and should be seeing what absurd pieces you can get for Wiggins. I get it, he can be a piece that can get you to the Playoffs for the first time in a while. But if you really want to win a Title I don't think he's a guy you can have on the roster. If you have KAT and a guy who does some of everything (say you find a guy who turns into your version of Draymond Green), Rubio is an awesome PG if you surround those 2 with 2 shooting wings.

Nah. Wiggins does suck at a lot of things(his passing rates are actually like 3 times worse than melo lol) especially rebounding. But there is so much of his game that's still developing. He's already got an elite NBA move and that's with his jumper still slowly coming along. Once he's stronger and gets better at rim he's gonna be real special.

Lavine is also very legit. As a starter playing off the ball he's been around 20 a game. He shots great when not at point.

Team needs another shooter bad. They shouldn't and I don't think they will take Henry. Buddy and Murray are the guys to snag.

Gorgui and Towns work great together. Need a shooter off the bench bad.

Rubio, Lavine, Wiggins, Gorgui and Towns is a legit 5. They go toe to toe with good teams. Against GS(not the game they actually won) these 5 had minny up 8 on GS starters with 2 minutes left in 3rd. Mitchell did his usually line change. And the Warriors depth destroyed ours.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....