'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Entry Pass  (Read 3494 times)

silverback

• Starter
The Entry Pass
« on: December 27, 2015, 05:55:09 PM »
This is a question and not a shot at any MU player.

Is the entry pass considered a lost art in college basketball? Like the mid-range jumper or the hook shot? I watch blown attempts to get it into the paint constantly. Whether too stiff or too weak, a chest pass when a bounce pass would do, etc. Are defenses too quick now, allowing for unavoidable deflections?

Bottom line, how can kids who've played this game since they could walk not be able to manage a short, easy pass into the guy with the biggest hands on the team?

BrandonA

• Walk-On
Re: The Entry Pass
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 06:02:45 PM »
Well from the other side, these kids have been practicing defending the easy entry pass since they could walk...

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 06:16:38 PM »
I've got to assume a lot of it is in experience, particularly at the PG with Traci and to some extent Haanif.  Coaches talk about creating angles.  I assume our PGs simply aren't that experienced to where they can almost "feel" where that angle is.  Also the post player has to create the space and the angle necessary and while Luke is starting to get the hang of how to position himself so the defender can defend him from the basket or defend the passing lane but can't do both I'm certain that Henry has almost no experience dong this (in HS he just dribbled the ball towards the basket himself or his teammates threw it over everyone's el head being as the defense probably didn't have anyone over 6'4").  I notice that MU is slow with their post passes probably because they are trying to figure out when they are in the right spot rather than just knowing it instinctively.  Assuming the staff are good teachers they will eventually get this but it may not be until late in the year (and maybe not until next year) and will involve a lot of mistakes during the learning process.  This is when I really wish we could count on having HE for another year.  Next year, he Luke and the guards will be much more on the same page. 

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 06:50:30 PM »
A stationary passer passing to a stationary post player - especially with a double team likely - means the entry pass will get stolen.

Need to see more drive & dish from Traci.  Haven't seen it since Europe. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 08:25:21 PM »
Terrible entry passes today. Sandy and Traci in particular. The entry pass should be coming from the wing not the top. Easy to steal as evidenced today.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 08:45:23 AM »
This has been one of my biggest pet peeve this year also.  The guards don't seem to understand when the bigs have their man sealed off in good position and can't get the ball to them in the right spot.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 08:59:43 AM »
I was thinking the same thing. Seems to me the guards hesitate before throwing the ball down low, it's not in rhythm. Traci picks the ball up and then waits for better positioning and throws it away. Hit the defender with a pump faKe and throw it in. If it's not there swing it around and try the other block or go hi low with Henry. I don't watch a ton of other college basketball, so I'm not sure how prevelant it is.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 11:31:53 AM »
I was thinking the same thing. Seems to me the guards hesitate before throwing the ball down low, it's not in rhythm. Traci picks the ball up and then waits for better positioning and throws it away. Hit the defender with a pump faKe and throw it in. If it's not there swing it around and try the other block or go hi low with Henry. I don't watch a ton of other college basketball, so I'm not sure how prevelant it is.
No. It's not all on the guards. The Bigs have to command the ball right and get in position and move to get it sometimes. This crew is the best entry pass team I have seen since I have been watching MU games. They can't catch the ball for you too. The effort to feed the post has to go both ways....and the entry pass is going to be defended now too. So there will be some hiccups but I applaud the young men for making the effort to perfect it....it is what they need to do with a team like this.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 11:33:31 AM »
This has been one of my biggest pet peeve this year also.  The guards don't seem to understand when the bigs have their man sealed off in good position and can't get the ball to them in the right spot.
Hmm I don't know... Like I said before...that is the Big's responsibility as well don't you think?

The guards don't have all day. They feed the ball down there you have to work to establish a seal quickly and decidedly and get the angle they can work with.

Then catch the ball and get in a triple threat or post move posture and position and get your feet right and aligned and do something with it.

No time to be stiff. I don't think we can look at isolated passes and be that concerned about it. l It takes practice.

I vehemently disagree.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 11:46:51 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 11:34:29 AM »
Terrible entry passes today. Sandy and Traci in particular. The entry pass should be coming from the wing not the top. Easy to steal as evidenced today.
There should be NO COMPLAINTS on entry passes from this team.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 11:43:57 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 11:38:29 AM »
A stationary passer passing to a stationary post player - especially with a double team likely - means the entry pass will get stolen.

Need to see more drive & dish from Traci.  Haven't seen it since Europe. 
No you don't....you need Coach Carrawell or whoever coaches the Bigs to have the Bigs attack the ball!

The guards only need to get it over to either strong hand or shoulder and they need to catch the darn ball...

Work that angle of the defender. Get in the weight room and learn how to lean and work that leverage and strengthen them hands.

Traci and Cheatham and DWil1 need to be encourage. They to me are doing an excellent job.

Sloppy at times...sure. The other teams wants to win too know...but you want to eat and get fed, step up to the table strong and fight for it.   

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 11:39:37 AM »
I've got to assume a lot of it is in experience, particularly at the PG with Traci and to some extent Haanif.  Coaches talk about creating angles.  I assume our PGs simply aren't that experienced to where they can almost "feel" where that angle is.  Also the post player has to create the space and the angle necessary and while Luke is starting to get the hang of how to position himself so the defender can defend him from the basket or defend the passing lane but can't do both I'm certain that Henry has almost no experience dong this (in HS he just dribbled the ball towards the basket himself or his teammates threw it over everyone's el head being as the defense probably didn't have anyone over 6'4").  I notice that MU is slow with their post passes probably because they are trying to figure out when they are in the right spot rather than just knowing it instinctively.  Assuming the staff are good teachers they will eventually get this but it may not be until late in the year (and maybe not until next year) and will involve a lot of mistakes during the learning process.  This is when I really wish we could count on having HE for another year.  Next year, he Luke and the guards will be much more on the same page. 
EXCELLENT POST. I concur 110%.

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 11:42:46 AM »
This is a question and not a shot at any MU player.

Is the entry pass considered a lost art in college basketball? Like the mid-range jumper or the hook shot? I watch blown attempts to get it into the paint constantly. Whether too stiff or too weak, a chest pass when a bounce pass would do, etc. Are defenses too quick now, allowing for unavoidable deflections?

Bottom line, how can kids who've played this game since they could walk not be able to manage a short, easy pass into the guy with the biggest hands on the team?
Because that aspect of the game is not played as much. There are no Bigs to dump down to. That is why.

And yes defenses are quicker to steal passes if you do not seal properly. I just will refused to whine about the entry pass on this team and will cut them some slack because they make the effort.

Especially if these are two Freshman you are talking about two months into their college careers. But there is the passer and the target guy....work it out.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 11:47:44 AM »
There should be NO COMPLAINTS on entry passes from this team.

Watch the game from yesterday..........plenty of COMPLAINTS!!!!!