[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Issues between Buzz and Tracy Webster?  (Read 11588 times)

MU FAN 2002

• Walk-On
Issues between Buzz and Tracy Webster?
« on: February 03, 2010, 08:59:05 PM »
Does anyone know what was going on between Buzz and Tracy Webster?  It seemed that Buzz said something in the middle of the second half.  Then during the rest of the game Webster kept looking over at Buzz. 

tower912

• All American
Re: Issues between Buzz and Tracy Webster?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 09:00:30 PM »
Whatever it was, it made DePaul start playing.    Assuming your timeline is accurate. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 09:03:38 PM »
Buzz probably told Webster he was fat and should start running and dieting.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 09:04:24 PM »
Noticed that too. I didn't see a player or ref in the area, so I figured he must have been mad at Webster. I'm pretty sure Buzz glared at him at one point near the end of the game after a foul or timeout he took. During the handshake line Webster went straight to the back and was shuffling his players in front of him. Maybe its just something he does at the end of the game, but I thought that was weird after seeing Buzz yelling earlier on.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 09:04:58 PM »
i think he saw his assistant wipe a nose nugget under one of chairs on the depaul bench.  Buzz keeps a clean house and thats not how he rolls in the BC.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:23:24 PM »
are you referring to tom kleinscmidt picking his nose and eating it on national televisosn against us last year?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 09:34:41 PM »
I noticed at one point in the game (during an out of bounds play as I recall) it seemed Buzz called out some type of play..and Webster was looking down at him..then shouted some "counter play or instruction," then Buzz said something else, and Webster something else.  Almost something you see in football game with the QB audibling, and defense checking to something else several times.  Not sure if that's what the deal was or not?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 09:38:43 PM »
i think he saw his assistant wipe a nose nugget under one of chairs on the depaul bench.  Buzz keeps a clean house and thats not how he rolls in the BC.

I think Buzz took offense to Kleinschmidt shouting out to his players to "pick" and roll...

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 09:42:27 PM »
i was referring to that incident, but couldnt remember his name.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MU FAN 2002

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 09:44:19 PM »
I also saw in the first half I think Jimmy was shooting in the corner by DePaul's bench and Webster was clapping at him, like to try and disrupt his shot. It seemed like Webster was trying to get back at Buzz for something with the end of game activity.

New Era Warriors

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 09:46:02 PM »
Buzz said in the interview that he thought Tracy said something to one of the MU players so Buzz looked over at him and Tracy yelled back "What Buzz?!"

WxWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 11:31:25 PM »
I also saw in the first half I think Jimmy was shooting in the corner by DePaul's bench and Webster was clapping at him, like to try and disrupt his shot. It seemed like Webster was trying to get back at Buzz for something with the end of game activity.

I saw this too.  It was Jimmy spotting up from the corner (about the only place he takes a three) and there's Tracy clapping and yelling right behind him.  It's possible he was trying to get one of his player's attention, but from where I was sitting this seems unlikely.  Anyway, I don't think I've ever seen another coach do this and it reeked of poor sportsmanship. 

Didn't he play for Wisco?  ;)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 11:40:27 PM »

Didn't he play for Wisco?  ;)

Yup. And he was A LOT thinner back then.

SS Marquette

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 11:45:06 PM »
Did Dick Vitale write that description?
The General has taken on a new command.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 01:11:35 AM »
maybe this explains why the last minute of the game took forever.
fouling down 11 with 14 seconds left and then calling a time out... unbelievable

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 06:17:12 AM »
Hey, honestly that is pretty much what De Paul needs right now.  They have been playing a lot better under Webster - they just don't have the horses.  He's a good recruiter...knows Chicago...if I were them, I would look seriously at keeping this guy.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 07:35:03 AM »
Did Dick Vitale write that description?

Seeing as how it's signed "Dick Vitale" I'm going to go with yes.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Warrior1969

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 07:53:18 AM »
Why do you say Webster is a good recruiter?  Who has he recruited?

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 07:57:29 AM »
Yup. And he was A LOT thinner back then.

great photos, a travel and a carry.  ;)
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

TJ

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 08:07:48 AM »
maybe this explains why the last minute of the game took forever.
fouling down 11 with 14 seconds left and then calling a time out... unbelievable
That was just icing on the 4 timeouts in the last 3 minutes cake.  It was a brutally slow end last night.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 08:48:34 AM »
From Rosiak:

Was there a verbal altercation between you and Tracy Webster: "I thought he was hollering at one of our guys and so I looked at him, and he said, 'What are you looking at, Buzz?' And I said, 'What?' Tracy worked for Billy (Gillispie) at Kentucky; I've known Tracy. I thought he was hollering at one of our guys, and I wasn't looking on the floor. So when I looked at him and he went, 'What, Buzz?' I went, 'What?' He didn't understand. I thought he was saying something to our guys. I never asked our guys. I was just kind of caught off-guard."

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 11:10:52 AM »
Why do you say Webster is a good recruiter?  Who has he recruited?

He apparently has connections to the Chicago HS and AAU coaches. (their names escape me now)  I think it was the reason he got hired in the first place.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 11:16:25 AM »
He apparently has connections to the Chicago HS and AAU coaches. (their names escape me now)  I think it was the reason he got hired in the first place.

Yes, but honestly I think it is a fair question (directed to me).  I thought he had served under Self at Illinois, but he was actually under Weber.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 12:00:16 PM »
The notion that Tracy Webster is a good recruiter is one of the biggest myths out there.  The reality is he doesn't even come close to deserving the credit he gets from most people and for the most part he's a disappointing recruiter, not a good one.

He had one job at Illinois, get them the top young talent before the other schools around the country could get them, and he failed at it.  He couldn't make in roads in CPS despite being from the area, just generally pissed off the important people in the recruiting scene.  Illinois recruiting of Chicago and the state as a whole didn't get good until Webster was gone and replaced by Jerrance Howard.

Webster then went to went to Kentucky, where he was supposed to be able to lure the kids that he been trying to recruit to Illinois to come play for BCG.  But again, he couldn't do it.  At DePaul under Wainwright, he wasn't even the main guy for recruiting Chicago, that went to Billy Garrett.

Essentially he's earned this reputation for being a great recruiter on what people expect him to be able to do, rather than what he's actually done.  Because what he's done doesn't indicate any great ability.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 12:21:39 PM »
bma - I thought Webster did play a big role in getting Richmond from Waukegan to committ to the Illini. IIRC, he committed to them a long time ago, he's freshman year, and I thought that was due in large-part by his and his family's relationship with Webster.

BTW - There's no question that DePaul is playing better basketball under Webster than they did under Wainwright. Whether that speaks to Tracy's abilities or further proof of Wainwright's ineptitude, is anyones guess.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 12:30:14 PM »
bma - I thought Webster did play a big role in getting Richmond from Waukegan to committ to the Illini. IIRC, he committed to them a long time ago, he's freshman year, and I thought that was due in large-part by his and his family's relationship with Webster.

Yes and no.  Webster was his initial recruiter, and Richmond did commit at least in part because of him initially.  But when Webster left to go to Kentucky, Illinois basically had to start at square one.  Illinois basically had to re-recruit him because Richmond was going to open up his recruiting again, and the guy who convinced him not to was Jerrance Howard.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 12:42:20 PM »
and the guy who convinced him not to was Jerrance Howard.

And a guy that was offered a job at MU not to long ago IIRC.

Note; I have had several interactions with Jerrance both during his high school days and after and always struck me as a really good kid.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 01:05:27 PM »
The notion that Tracy Webster is a good recruiter is one of the biggest myths out there.  The reality is he doesn't even come close to deserving the credit he gets from most people and for the most part he's a disappointing recruiter, not a good one.

He had one job at Illinois, get them the top young talent before the other schools around the country could get them, and he failed at it.  He couldn't make in roads in CPS despite being from the area, just generally pissed off the important people in the recruiting scene.  Illinois recruiting of Chicago and the state as a whole didn't get good until Webster was gone and replaced by Jerrance Howard.

Webster then went to went to Kentucky, where he was supposed to be able to lure the kids that he been trying to recruit to Illinois to come play for BCG.  But again, he couldn't do it.  At DePaul under Wainwright, he wasn't even the main guy for recruiting Chicago, that went to Billy Garrett.

Essentially he's earned this reputation for being a great recruiter on what people expect him to be able to do, rather than what he's actually done.  Because what he's done doesn't indicate any great ability.

bma emasculates me once again...   :D

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 09:05:41 PM »
Buzz probably told Webster he was fat and should start running and dieting.

The teapot shouldn't call the kettle black.

Or is it the sweet-tea pot calling the kettle black?
We Are Marquette

mikeDEANmeminger

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 03:14:50 PM »
Yes and no.  Webster was his initial recruiter, and Richmond did commit at least in part because of him initially.  But when Webster left to go to Kentucky, Illinois basically had to start at square one.  Illinois basically had to re-recruit him because Richmond was going to open up his recruiting again, and the guy who convinced him not to was Jerrance Howard.

who are you, Freakin Andy Katz?? Quit making information up to make yourself look like a know it all....
I'm pretty sure you don't climb the college basketball ranks the way Tracy Webster did unless you can recruit. That is how assistants make their living...half the D1 assistants out there aren't really that great of basketball coaches, they can just recruit and get the players the boss man wants. I don't think Tracy would have gone from UW-Parkside to Ball State to Purdue to Illinois to Kentucky unless the man could sign kids

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2010, 03:22:58 PM »
I don't think Tracy would have gone from UW-Parkside to Ball State to Purdue to Illinois to Kentucky unless the man could sign kids

People get jobs everyday in every industry because others have a false impression of what they can do.  Why should coaching be any different?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

mikeDEANmeminger

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2010, 03:27:53 PM »
trust me, you cannot and do not go from UW-Parkside to the University of Kentucky in a matter of 10 to 15 years because of a "false impression" of what he can do. It doesn't happen

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2010, 03:30:35 PM »
I don't think Tracy would have gone from UW-Parkside to Ball State to Purdue to Illinois to Kentucky* unless the man could sign kids

*You forgot, "to DePaul."

mikeDEANmeminger

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2010, 03:32:13 PM »
+1
how could i have left that one out lol

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2010, 03:32:20 PM »
Probably right, but sometimes I just get the impression that much of the coaching circuit is a "Good Old Boys Club" and jobs are given to guys based on who they are or who they know instead of what they can do.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

mikeDEANmeminger

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 03:33:55 PM »
very valid point, and often it is "WHO you know and not WHAT yuo know" that gets you a job. but if you don't sign players, you will be out of a job real quick...or headed back to the likes of Ball State or UW Parkside.

mikeDEANmeminger

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010, 03:36:38 PM »
and often the guys taht get jobs are the ones who know AAU coaches, JUCO coaches and high school coaches who are producing players every day. you prove you can sign kids from a certain JUCO or AAU program or High School (madison memorial for example), you'll get a job casue you know those coaches and those coaches "give" you players

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 03:44:21 PM »
+1
how could i have left that one out lol

and

very valid point, and often it is "WHO you know and not WHAT yuo know" that gets you a job. but if you don't sign players, you will be out of a job real quick...or headed back to the likes of Ball State or UW Parkside.

My point was that his career trajectory might be heading the wrong way of late.  One could argue that UW Parkside to Ball State to Pursue to Illinois to Kentucky to DePaul to ??? might very well mean that he's "headed back to the likes of Ball State or UW Parkside."

He's had six jobs in 12 years.  Sounds like maybe he's been "out of a [couple of] jobs real quick."

I know assistants don't hang around long in a lot of places.  Time will tell how Webster's career pans out.

Think what you like, but BMA has shown that he knows quite a lot about these things.  If I heard one thing from BMA and another from Katz, I'd bank on the version I heard from BMA.

mikeDEANmeminger

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 03:52:06 PM »
lol first, you listen to who you want to listen to...I'm taking my dead grandmother's version over BMA's.

secondly, he left Kentucky cause his bossgot fired. Nothing he can personally do about that.
He left Illinois for a job at freakin Kentucky, one of the top 3 basketball programs of all time. and he probably got a pay raise of somewhere near $150 to $200 thousand a year by leaving UofI of UK. I'm pretty sure he will be OK, either being offered and taking the DePaul head job (unlikely), taking a head job at a mid-major program (much more likely) or taking another assistant position at a premier program. I don't think he will end up back at a "Ball State" type school after being an assistant in the SEC, Big 10 and Big East.

mikeDEANmeminger

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2010, 03:54:23 PM »
but why argue about it?? BMA already knows where he is going to end up next year....

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2010, 03:59:18 PM »
lol first, you listen to who you want to listen to...I'm taking my dead grandmother's version over BMA's.

secondly, he left Kentucky cause his bossgot fired. Nothing he can personally do about that.
He left Illinois for a job at freakin Kentucky, one of the top 3 basketball programs of all time. and he probably got a pay raise of somewhere near $150 to $200 thousand a year by leaving UofI of UK. I'm pretty sure he will be OK, either being offered and taking the DePaul head job (unlikely), taking a head job at a mid-major program (much more likely) or taking another assistant position at a premier program. I don't think he will end up back at a "Ball State" type school after being an assistant in the SEC, Big 10 and Big East.

I claim no inside knowledge and really don't know much about Webster.  But just from what I see on the surface, the jury is out.  I assumed he left KY because BCG got fired.  And I understand completely why he went to KY.  But the step from KY to DePaul is a huge, huge step down.  We'll wait to see his next step.

I've known a lot of people that have bounced around and seemingly moved up for years, until eventually everyone realizes that they're not that great.  Maybe Webster is like that, maybe he's not.  I have no idea.

But I respect BMA's opinion.  No disrespect meant to your grandmother -- she may be right on this one.

mikeDEANmeminger

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2010, 04:06:56 PM »
#1 its tough to get a job after the whole staff gets fired that you were a part of.
#2 DePaul made a ton of sense for Tracy, being from the city and being able to come home, coming in as the top assistant as all of the DePaul staff was gone, and being able to position himself for the opportunity he has now, cause even at the beginning of the season, we all knew Wainwright was going to struggle to keep his job next year or even make it through this year (which turned out to be the case).
#3 Yes the DePaul job was a step down...But damn, he is still in the Big East. If he had got a job at Texas, that would have been a step down. A job at Duke, UConn, Syracuse, Indiana...I could go on and on, but all those are steps down from KENTUCKY! The only way you don't take a step backward after leaving Kentucky is if you get a job at UCLA or North Carolina.

feedback