'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New 2010 Warrior - 6'6" Jae Crowder  (Read 47481 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: New 2010 Warrior - 6'6" Jae Crowder
« Reply #150 on: February 05, 2010, 07:52:47 AM »

I don't recall a single poster jumping in to defend even a modest .500 prediction with the comment that Buycks was an NBA lock, or that DJO was close to Wall.  Who are these people?  Where were they back in October when most here were ripping our talent suggesting that we can't reasonably expect them to be better than 12th?

Now I didn't think that DJO was Wall's equal, or that Buycks was an NBA lock--but I thought they were at least good enough to get us into the upper division in the Big East.  

It looks like most are coming around to my point of view on this--four months ago people criticized me and said I had an "agenda" because I dared suggest we expect something more than mediocre from DJO and Buycks.  It now seems that the expectations of Crowder are significantly higher. 

Actually, I recall a number of people saying that they thought Buycks was the better prospect and were real excited to get him involved.  I don't think many people knew what DJO was going to bring to the table.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2010, 08:01:22 AM »
LOL.  Curtis Loew, meet SJS.  SJS, meet Curtis Loew.

Carry on.

Rising to the defense of MU84 (gasp!) .. if Curtis believes "..those comments, or comments very similar were made by people prior to the season starting.." all he needs to do is find them and post them.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #152 on: February 05, 2010, 08:01:38 AM »
IIRC, the big major assumption about this year's team that has turned out to be inaccurate was that either Buycks or DJO was going to have to start at the point once Junior went down.    Mo/Cubi have surpassed the expectations of the common wisdom.   Neither Buycks or DJO were ready to start at the point.    My expectations of the team was the NIT with an outside shot at the dance.  If we take care of business, we can surpass that.   But that is by no means a given at this point.  
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #153 on: February 05, 2010, 12:04:37 PM »
Rising to the defense of MU84 (gasp!) .. if Curtis believes "..those comments, or comments very similar were made by people prior to the season starting.." all he needs to do is find them and post them.

You must not have read the whole thread, because MU84 did find them and post them. A D-1 assistant made the comment about DJO. And Buycks JUCO coach said that about him. Again, this was already said in this thread.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

TJ

• All American
« Reply #154 on: February 05, 2010, 12:24:52 PM »
You must not have read the whole thread, because MU84 did find them and post them. A D-1 assistant made the comment about DJO. And Buycks JUCO coach said that about him. Again, this was already said in this thread.
MU84 was replying to the following, which implied that people here had said those things.  The posts that he posted do not back up the statement he was refuting, and they did not represent the viewpoints of MUScoop members.

If this year is any indication, by the time October rolls around the consensus on this board will be that we can't count on Crowder because he's never played D1 ball, he's new to Buzz's system, there's a huge difference between Juco and D1, he's never played a road game in a hostile arena, wasn't highly recruited out of HS, etc. etc. etc.

Or at least that was the consensus regarding Buycks and DJO.
And of course it works both ways, and falls somewhere in the middle.  Unless of course Buycks is a lock for the NBA and DJO is the second best guard in the 2009 recruiting class behind John Wall, also things that were said before anyone saw them play.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 12:27:09 PM by TJ »

Josey Wales

• Starter
« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2010, 12:33:31 PM »
I was responding to the "I don't recall anyone saying that Buycks was a lock for the NBA or DJO is close to John Wall." I honestly thought that he didn't remember these comments were said, I didnt take it as meaning people on this board. I was simply trying to let him know that these comments were in fact said, and the person he was quoting did not just make them up. I now think this was just a miscommunication.
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2010, 01:20:02 PM »
He is only 4 pts, and 4 assists a game away from being John Wall in terms of numbers...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 01:22:32 PM by jhags15 »

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #157 on: February 05, 2010, 01:20:57 PM »
I will take 3 years of DJO over one year of John Wall.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #158 on: February 05, 2010, 02:19:01 PM »
I was responding to the "I don't recall anyone saying that Buycks was a lock for the NBA or DJO is close to John Wall." I honestly thought that he didn't remember these comments were said, I didnt take it as meaning people on this board. I was simply trying to let him know that these comments were in fact said, and the person he was quoting did not just make them up. I now think this was just a miscommunication.

Lets look at what happened here.

1.  I said the consensus on this board last October was that DJO and Buycks were too inexperienced to have expectations for anything better than a 12th place finish, in contrast to the positive comments yesterday on Crowder.

2.  Chapman implied I was wrong--said people here were saying that DJO was 2nd to John Wall and Buycks was an NBA lock without even seeing them.

3.  I claimed that I don't recall anyone saying that.

4.  You jumped in and said, no, people here did indeed say it.

5.  I checked, and nobody here said it.  The only thing I found was one reference to DJO that was made elsewhere (and reposted here, by chapman himself).

And because someone would call me on it if I didn't mention it, I even called out an external reference regarding Buycks--I had to search Google to find the the JS article.

Chapman was wrong.  Nobody here was hyping DJO as a John Wall equal. Nobody here was touting Buycks as an NBA lock.    

And the two examples I found hardly refute my comment about the consensus that existed on this board.

I stand by my statement that the consensus here was that they couldn't be counted on to contribute much this year for of all the reasons previously cited.  

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #159 on: February 05, 2010, 02:52:43 PM »
Nobody here was touting Buycks as an NBA lock.    

I thought that it was Buycks coach who said he was nba bound.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #160 on: February 05, 2010, 03:00:37 PM »
I thought that it was Buycks coach who said he was nba bound.

Im pretty sure this is all stemming from the fact that Buycks was coached by Jeff Kidder at Indian Hills CC. When Kidder coached at Dixie State College, he coached Marcus Banks, who went on to play at UNLV and in the NBA.

I believe Kidder was quoted as saying something like "Buycks is the best player I have coached since Marcus Banks."

To some people, that means, "Dwight Buycks will be in the NBA." 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #161 on: February 05, 2010, 03:14:59 PM »

Lets look at what happened here.

1.  I said the consensus on this board last October was that DJO and Buycks were too inexperienced to have expectations for anything better than a 12th place finish, in contrast to the positive comments yesterday on Crowder.

2.  Chapman implied I was wrong--said people here were saying that DJO was 2nd to John Wall and Buycks was an NBA lock without even seeing them.

3.  I claimed that I don't recall anyone saying that.

4.  You jumped in and said, no, people here did indeed say it.

5.  I checked, and nobody here said it.  The only thing I found was one reference to DJO that was made elsewhere (and reposted here, by chapman himself).

And because someone would call me on it if I didn't mention it, I even called out an external reference regarding Buycks--I had to search Google to find the the JS article.

Chapman was wrong.  Nobody here was hyping DJO as a John Wall equal. Nobody here was touting Buycks as an NBA lock.   

And the two examples I found hardly refute my comment about the consensus that existed on this board.

I stand by my statement that the consensus here was that they couldn't be counted on to contribute much this year for of all the reasons previously cited. 

Guess I won't be getting a Chrismas card next year.  I don't recall the response to the quotes that were posted here to be in essense (since apparently everything is 100% literal and requires MLA cittation): "wow, those coaches are complete idiots.  That guy is completely inexperienced and will not help us get to the top half of the Big East".  There were a lot of people who claimed DJO was going to be a pretty special player and that Buycks would be damn good.  My point is that maybe the slight majority thought they were going to have more growing pains rather than provide immediate benefit, but hardly a consensus.  I was in the boat that I hadn't seen a Juco not require the better part of a season to really look like he fit in, and there were plenty of people telling me that DJO and Buycks weren't ordinary players, and they were 100% right with DJO and mostly right on Buycks.