[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin Coleman  (Read 12694 times)

mujaxson

• Walk-On
Justin Coleman
« on: December 20, 2009, 04:34:10 PM »
I read on Scout Insider (Mike Hughes) that Louisville is now making a move for Coleman... what is interesting in the article is that "(Coleman) verbally committed to Marquette but decided to re-open his recruitment."  Haven't seen anything on this board about this... Anyone have any insight??  BMA?

I know he has academic issues, but it sounds like if his January SAT score is solid, schools could be moving more aggressively on him. 

Josey Wales

• Starter
Re: Justin Coleman
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 04:44:04 PM »
my only idea is he possibly confused coleman with bowen
BEARS STILL SUCK

Hey Vikings, I like what you've done with the basement.

"Lazar Hayward. The L stands for leader, and the W stands for winner, Lazar Hayward is a winner."

bma725

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 04:47:09 PM »
Mike Hughes is correct.  Coleman was a commit at one point over the summer, but no longer is. 

There is such a thing as a silent commit, in some cases you don't want all the information getting out there right away.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 04:50:23 PM »
Mike Hughes is correct.  Coleman was a commit at one point over the summer, but no longer is. 

There is such a thing as a silent commit, in some cases you don't want all the information getting out there right away.

Why the change of heart?

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 04:50:32 PM »
Seems like a similar player to Jamail, and maybe that was why he wanted to keep looking.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 04:57:37 PM »

Wow a silent commit with one of the highly ranked recruits in the country.  How they kept that a secret is unreal.  Shame the team doesn't really need another SG/SF, Coleman would have been a nice addition. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 05:05:58 PM »
Wow a silent commit with one of the highly ranked recruits in the country.  How they kept that a secret is unreal.  Shame the team doesn't really need another SG/SF, Coleman would have been a nice addition. 

Which makes you think they knew the academic road would be troubled and with a couple issues already with Clearinghouse perhaps that's why the silent commit stayed so silent.

Still, if you go on recruiting hype mumbo-jumbo alone, Coleman would've been Buzz' best recruit. If he gets in, questions will be asked.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 05:16:09 PM »
There's quite a bit more to it than just the worries about being able to make it through the clearinghouse, that's all I'm going to say. 

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 05:23:14 PM »
BMA... do you think we have a legit shot at Blackshear or Dawson in the 2011 class?
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 07:09:11 PM »
There's quite a bit more to it than just the worries about being able to make it through the clearinghouse, that's all I'm going to say. 

You're no fun at all :D

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 07:22:16 PM »
Seems like a similar player to Jamail, and maybe that was why he wanted to keep looking.

I doubt Coleman would be worried about Jamail Jones.  Coleman is very talented...He is ranked Top 25 for a reason.

Again, as BMA said...an uber-complicated situation.  Almost would rather him not commit here.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 08:24:38 PM »
we just went through one head case...do we really need another or is his baggage different?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 08:29:46 PM »
we just went through one head case...do we really need another or is his baggage different?

Yeah, if he's head to toe in issues I think Slick Rick is a great fit.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 08:38:45 PM »

Different.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 08:42:21 PM »
Different.

BMA - great player but with baggage. Simple question: is the baggage worth the risk? yes or no?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 08:56:01 PM »
Independent of everything else that goes into making a team, yes he's talented enough to take the risk, imo. 

When you factor in the position he plays, who else plays that position, what the other needs are on the team, what the make up of the roster would be at that point....maybe not.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 08:57:25 PM »
thanks

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 09:05:08 PM »
BMA - great player but with baggage. Simple question: is the baggage worth the risk? yes or no?
Just saw a decent player with a ton of baggage walk out the door..........

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 09:24:10 PM »

No chance he comes to MU now anyway. Surely he (or his people) will see this thread discussing his "issues" and immediately drop us. Or so I've heard.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 09:27:27 PM by Lennys Tap »

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009, 09:43:39 PM »

No chance he comes to MU now anyway. Surely he (or his people) will see this thread discussing his "issues" and immediately drop us. Or so I've heard.

This board is radioactive, viral, and rash inducing for the sensitive recruit (and his parents)

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 08:03:50 AM »
Independent of everything else that goes into making a team, yes he's talented enough to take the risk, imo. 

When you factor in the position he plays, who else plays that position, what the other needs are on the team, what the make up of the roster would be at that point....maybe not.

Thanks BMA...Still, as good as this kid may be, I have to believe that right now our program needs stability just as much as it needs new talent.  If Buzz brings in another recruit that gets into some trouble a lot of questions will need to be asked.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 11:38:38 AM »
Which makes you think they knew the academic road would be troubled and with a couple issues already with Clearinghouse perhaps that's why the silent commit stayed so silent.

Still, if you go on recruiting hype mumbo-jumbo alone, Coleman would've been Buzz' best recruit. If he gets in, questions will be asked.
But Marquette makes exceptions to get kids like this into school....exceptions that a school like UW@Madison would never make....(do I really need teal here?)

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 11:57:18 AM »
But Marquette makes exceptions to get kids like this into school....exceptions that a school like UW@Madison would never make....(do I really need teal here?)

This is absolutely true. I know it is because I heard it on the Mark Belling Late Afternoon show and he had reliable sources in Madison. A guy who knows a lot about basketball (and sports generally!) with information from sources in a city that also knows a LOT about basketball!

mujaxson

• Walk-On
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 10:16:55 AM »
Just an fyi, Coleman is visiting Louisville this week per Scout. 

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 12:57:17 PM »
Just an fyi, Coleman is visiting Louisville this week per Scout. 

Has Rick booked a back table for the Coleman party of two at Porcini?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 01:07:28 PM »
Has Rick booked a back table for the Coleman party of two at Porcini?

It's already taken. In fact, it'll be a threesome when they meet Wayne back there. ;)
SS Marquette

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2009, 01:14:56 PM »
It's mind boggling to me that, after reading the sordid details of Slick Rick's off court alter ego shenanigans, any parent would entrust their young man to this guy.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2009, 02:50:36 PM »
It's mind boggling to me that, after reading the sordid details of Slick Rick's off court alter ego shenanigans, any parent would entrust their young man to this guy.

A lot of parents trust the coach to give their son the best shot at becoming a pro.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2009, 04:49:17 PM »
A lot of parents trust the coach to give their son the best shot at becoming a pro.

Our son is playing NCAA Div I football at Washington State and you're damn straight I wanted to meet the coaching staff before I turned over Mrs Warthog's little boy (all 6'5" 255 pounds worth of little boy) to Coach Wulff. Now, our kid is probably not headed for the NFL but, even if he were, I would still insist on meeting the coaching staff and understanding their perspective on academics, attendance, study hall, team work, and how they were going to contribute to the molding of a boy into a man. Not once did we ask anything about football. If Coach Wulff had been involved in anything like Slick Rick I can assure you Warthog Jr would never have set foot on the WSU campus as neither his mother nor I would have let a scumbag like that have anything to do with shaping our son's life.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2009, 04:56:37 PM »
Our son is playing NCAA Div I football at Washington State and you're damn straight I wanted to meet the coaching staff before I turned over Mrs Warthog's little boy (all 6'5" 255 pounds worth of little boy) to Coach Wulff. Now, our kid is probably not headed for the NFL but, even if he were, I would still insist on meeting the coaching staff and understanding their perspective on academics, attendance, study hall, team work, and how they were going to contribute to the molding of a boy into a man. Not once did we ask anything about football. If Coach Wulff had been involved in anything like Slick Rick I can assure you Warthog Jr would never have set foot on the WSU campus as neither his mother nor I would have let a scumbag like that have anything to do with shaping our son's life.

Anyone around this message board the past few weeks will notice not all parents care about a good education and family values. You're probably a great parent and care about the well-being and character of your child, not all parents put that much stock into character and education though.

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2009, 05:26:13 PM »
Anyone around this message board the past few weeks will notice not all parents care about a good education and family values. You're probably a great parent and care about the well-being and character of your child, not all parents put that much stock into character and education though.

I never told my wife the Pitino/Porcini story but I can picture exactly the look on her face if I had. She is a decent, gracious, elegant woman; garbage like Pitino's behavior offends her as a human being. There would be no chance our son would play for a person like that.

mujaxson

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2010, 02:28:22 PM »
Coleman just committed to Louisville for next year, assuming he qualifies. 

feedback