'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Has the teams performance met your expectations?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Poll: Season To Date And Change Of Expectations  (Read 6880 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Poll: Season To Date And Change Of Expectations
« on: November 18, 2018, 03:01:11 PM »
Earlier this year many posted their game by game predictions. Quite a few incorporated a loss to Indiana in their projections. We have also seen how the rest of the Big East is performing.  The question is have your expectations for the teams performance  for the full year changed?.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Poll: Season To Date And Change Of Expectations
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 03:28:22 PM »
I'm answering based on the question posed in the post rather than how it's phrased in the poll. My expectations have been a top-3 finish in league and a comfortable NCAA seed so when Selection Sunday comes, we aren't worried about if we're in but rather what line we'll be on. I feel that's a 7 or better. However just as important is seeing some actual progress from the defense. I don't think any of my original expectations are unrealistic, but I also haven't seen the consistency to convince me we're going to meet the ones I started with.

Regardless, the expectations I have aren't going to change regardless of results. If we don't get there, though, I think it is time to revisit our coaching situation.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 04:01:21 PM »
Nope.  May want to wait and revisit this upon completion of non conference play, not four games.  Way too early. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 04:09:26 PM »
Nope.  May want to wait and revisit this upon completion of non conference play, not four games.  Way too early.

This. 
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 04:09:57 PM »

Yup. The overreactions here are incredible.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 04:13:54 PM »
Yes based on results. No based on eye test. Way too early for any legitimate answer, but were we ever going to win at Assembly Hall? My expectations moving forward in non conference is a split this week, and winning 2 of 3 against KSU, UW and Buffalo. 3 losses heading into conference play. All “good losses” and a few quality wins.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 04:16:52 PM »
3-1. After watching IU, I predicted a double digit loss for MU. 
Disappointments:  size of loss to IU.
Flow of offense and bad 3 OT shooting.
Morrow, Chartouny
Better than expected:  defense
Joey.
Theo, when not in foul trouble.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 04:46:38 PM »
I expected us to be 3-1 at this point.  From that perspective, met expectations. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

fjm

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 04:47:36 PM »
Yes. Lots of people jumping off the wagon amazing.

IU was a mess. I’ll agree there.
But they have met mine so far. My largest concern is the offense. It has just seemed to awkward so far this season.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 05:23:47 PM »
Have my overall expectations changed based on four games and an exhibition? No. Not enough data.

Expectations for individual players? Still too little data. Just look at Chartouny, yesterday about Noon the expectation of most seemed to be that he was a wasted scholarship. Three hours later, many seemed to be looking at him as the savior of the season.

I will say that my biggest concern so far (I won't say disappointment because there is plenty of season to turn it around) is Morrow. He was a beast at Nebraska and has looked timid at times and has had several bad brain farts in limited minutes. Was expecting big things from him. When he's locked in, he might be the best defender that we have. Really like what he brings on that side of the floor. Has to not be an offensive liability.

I have been pleasantly surprised so far by Cain, Theo, and Joey. Joey is a lot more dynamic than I thought he would be and Cain/John have both taken big steps from their freshman campaigns. Everyone else is relatively close to what I expected. My concern for Morrow unfortunately is much larger than the pleasant surprises of Joey, Cain and John.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 05:25:23 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 07:34:52 PM »
3-1. After watching IU, I predicted a double digit loss for MU. 
Disappointments:  size of loss to IU.
Flow of offense and bad 3 OT shooting.
Morrow, Chartouny
Better than expected:  defense
Joey.
Theo, when not in foul trouble.

Holy crap, are you serious with that comment?  How low were your expectations?  We played one team with a pulse and they put up 96 points in 75 possessions.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 07:44:59 PM »
My biggest disappointment so far is Markus.  He has not become a reliable point guard and seems to be much slower than last year, or we never realized that most of his open shots were because of Rowsey. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 07:46:59 PM »
Holy crap, are you serious with that comment?  How low were your expectations?  We played one team with a pulse and they put up 96 points in 75 possessions.

Yeah, it's only ranked 54th in the nation. Come on.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 08:06:36 PM »
 4 games in...? 

What I have noticed however, MU players seem to have the lowest tattoo per capita of most teams.  I mean since katin graduated, our numbers and per square inch covered has markedly dropped off.  Theo has some ink goin on, but I’ve heard the trend is going away from that stuff.  if one wants to make some decent coin going forward, learn how to remove them; laser or...?
don't...don't don't don't don't

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 08:07:41 PM »
Yeah, it's only ranked 54th in the nation. Come on.

The numbers from the 3 cupcakes are completely meaningless.  Like I said, the one team they played with a pulse lit them up.  Let's see what the defensive ranking looks like after KU, KSU, UW, Buff, etc.  I'm going to guess it won't be 54th in the country.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 08:15:01 PM »
The numbers from the 3 cupcakes are completely meaningless.  Like I said, the one team they played with a pulse lit them up.  Let's see what the defensive ranking looks like after KU, KSU, UW, Buff, etc.  I'm going to guess it won't be 54th in the country.

Except they aren't meaningless, because last year we sucked against cupcakes too.

Didn't realize until I watched replays of some of the games that we are switching almost all ball screens now

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 08:30:31 PM »

Go back last season and see how are defense did against the cupcakes (even against exhibition Lindenwood). There's reasons to be encouraged. The Indiana game is a big reason to be discouraged.

Also, the D-Rating stats adjust for strength of opponent. It is early so I wouldn't quote that 54th ranking as gospel truth either.

Four data points. Gives us some hints but hardly a clear picture.
TAMU

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 08:47:47 PM »

Indiana can do that to teams in their building.  Defense has improved, but must improve much much more to be successful this season.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2018, 10:06:59 PM »
4 games in...? 

What I have noticed however, MU players seem to have the lowest tattoo per capita of most teams.  I mean since katin graduated, our numbers and per square inch covered has markedly dropped off.  Theo has some ink goin on, but I’ve heard the trend is going away from that stuff.  if one wants to make some decent coin going forward, learn how to remove them; laser or...?

+100 Very funny, doc!
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2018, 10:30:25 PM »
Indiana can do that to teams in their building.  Defense has improved, but must improve much much more to be successful this season.

Great point.  Because Indiana couldn't do it in their loss on the road tonight against #55 Arkansas - just .95 points per possession, as compared to the 1.28 points per possession at home against our markedly improved defense (according to the Scoop Intelligencia)  That Assembly Hall advantage is no doubt uuge.

As for MU this season:  The Big East is awful - getting pummeled by Top 20 caliber teams.  My guess is a 3rd place finish, despite the league being WAY down.

May sneak into the NCAA as a 10 seed.  Chances of us winning a game in the NCAA if* we even make it?  <30%.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2018, 11:29:20 PM »
If that Indiana had showed up we would have looked better. We wouldn't have won but would have been better. Indiana also lost Juwan Morgan to foul trouble in the first two minutes of the first half. Didn't play again until the second.

It's usually not wise to put so much emphasis on a single data point.
TAMU

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 12:07:48 AM »
MU players seem to have the lowest tattoo per capita of most teams.  I mean since katin graduated, our numbers and per square inch covered has markedly dropped off.  Theo has some ink goin on, but I’ve heard the trend is going away from that stuff.  if one wants to make some decent coin going forward, learn how to remove them; laser or...?

I donno, Ed has picked up a lot of ink since his time in Nebraska.  It's just not on his arms...

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 07:42:49 AM »
I donno, Ed has picked up a lot of ink since his time in Nebraska.  It's just not on his arms...

Not just on his arms?  Hmmm...either tmi or you guys must be pretty tight then eyn’a? 😜
don't...don't don't don't don't

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 08:18:05 AM »
Given that several key rotation players are seeing their first real court time for MU (Chartouny, Joey, Morrow, Bailey), I expected that things would be bumpy and inconsistent in November and perhaps into December. This team has met those expectations so far.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2018, 08:32:48 AM »
Hard to interpert the results of this poll.  There are four possibilities.

1) Had low expectations and met expectations.

2 Had high expectations and met expectations.

3) Had low expectations and exceeded those expectations.

4) Had high expectations and did not meet those expections.

For me I had high expectations so I fell under category 4. Would be interesting to see how many fell into category 2.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

feedback