[Today at 05:15:30 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What the Heck was that?  (Read 2595 times)

CTWarrior

• All American
What the Heck was that?
« on: November 30, 2007, 11:33:47 PM »
That was awful.  UWM has a few players but they are the worst defensive college team I have ever seen.  We were doing the NBA all-star no-look crap for the last 30 minutes and they couldn't stop anything.  Our three point shooters could've stopped to tie their shoes before launching and still got their shots off.  We got a very friendly whistle, too.  I would like to save that friendly whistle for a game where we would need it.

I know its UWM, but I am starting to think we might be very good this year. 

Only three things I didn't like from an MU standpoint.

1.  Why didn't Blackledge and Hazel didn't play a little more?  If they didn't play much in that game, when are they ever going to play?  I guess you could argue after nine days off, our regulars needed the work.

2.  Please tell me the Christopherson still has lingering effects from the injury.  He looked glacially slow out there.  Much too slow for a 6-3 guy.

3.  The poor quality of our opponent led to a lot of sloppy play on our part that was nonetheless effective.  Worried about this as we start to get ready for UW.  As a tuneup, this wasn't too worthwhile.

Think about how badly we dominated this game, and then realize the Knicks lost 104-59 to the Celtics Thu night.  How bad must that NBA game have been?

Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ecompt

• All American
Re: What the Heck was that?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 11:53:28 PM »
Here's another question: How bad must be the Bucks be? They had a 17-point third-quarter lead over those same awful Knicks and wound up blowing the game.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 12:04:09 AM »
1.  Why didn't Blackledge and Hazel didn't play a little more?  If they didn't play much in that game, when are they ever going to play?  I guess you could argue after nine days off, our regulars needed the work.

I think there was a certain amount of trying to prove a point tonight.  If UWM is going to complain and try to show up MU in the media for not playing the game, then MU is going to show UWM what happens when you rattle the big dog's cage.  It was sort of a f*** you message to all the people that complained throughout the years and it wouldn't surprise me to see the same type of thing in the future.

MarquetteVol

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 12:05:06 AM »
That was a beat down, brother. Plain and simple. My favorite moment tonight was when a UWM player attempted a no-footer and sailed the ball over the backboard.

This was just men against boys. And, the boys seemed to give up after the intermission.

I was against this series before but I now I'm completely in favor of it. This was fun. We'll have to do it again next year.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 12:20:47 AM »
It was a fun game to be at - I drove up from chicago and it was worth the trip.  Cube was awesome on defense again - he is the most energetic on the court.  I did not see the swarming defense we executed in the Maui series, tho - we should play every game like Maui. 

Great balanced scoring, great interior passing, a nice alli-oop to James - what else can we ask for.  And a 35 point win - that is good for rankings - they look at all this stuff - the teams you are "supposed " to beat you have to whoop now.

Scott C. to me still seemed to be favoring his right leg - he looked like he was limping - and he was slow - I was surprised he came back in the game.

Great game!

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 02:12:15 AM »
There were times tonight where Dom would go one-on-one against a guy to the hoop and it looked like he wasn't even trying as he flew around the defender in the air and  put the shot in. 

Also, while Scott isn't the fastest guy in the world I think tonight he was just a little rusty from being away and his knee strength will undoubtedly improve.

Overall, I'd say Marquette made the statement they wanted.

chefrad

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 10:53:37 AM »

What you saw was Ron Jeter paying Bruce Pearl's tab.

New Era Warriors

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 11:38:12 AM »

What you saw was Ron Jeter paying Bruce Pearl's tab.
you put it the best chefrad, but Jeter certainly was not happy with Crean "running up" the score. If any of you guys saw the article in the Journal Sentinel, Jeter was obviously disappointed and probably pissed, but he chose he words well. But whose fault is it that we won by 35? UWM did not stand any chance to hang with Marquette, and Marquette certainly handed it to them. This is what I call an old-fashion a$$ whooping!
GO MARQUETTE!!!

Desert_Eagle

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 04:55:59 PM »
what else can we ask for?

For Tommy Brice to score.  :)
"Marquette is bigger than any one person. Marquette is Marquette."