[May 08, 2024, 07:39:19 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[May 08, 2024, 01:39:16 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by DFW HOYA
[May 08, 2024, 10:45:35 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[May 08, 2024, 08:59:21 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vermont musings  (Read 10406 times)

alexius23

• Starter
Re: Vermont musings
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2017, 10:49:55 PM »
Oops....had no intention to post in red....sigh...

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2017, 10:57:39 PM »
Did we ever have a poll on Howard staying 2,3,4 yrs.

It seems his height plus poor handle will keep him here 4. But if he can get paid, I don’t begrudge leaving early.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2017, 12:12:40 AM »
kid was en fuego.

Texas and University?

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2017, 12:32:19 AM »
Got a glimpse of Theo and it wasn't half bad.  He needs to keep himself on the floor long enough for more.

Elliott had a freshman game.  That's ok.

Cain struggled somewhat, more so defensively.  But he keeps his head in the game and hustles.  Got to like that.

I don't mind this Rowsey.  10 assists and 1 turnover.  Looks like Wojo told him he needed to play defense as well...still wasn't too good but he picked up the fouls trying.  At least the intent was good.  Hope he's learned enough to be back starting Saturday.

When the defense was there, we extended the lead.  Hopefully it can be there more often.

Markus Howard is an above average basketball player.
I have no idea what you saw and I was at mid court...they all played well. Every trip down is not going to be perfect. The other team competes too you know...

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2017, 12:36:42 AM »
Catamount To Nothing ... dedicated to tower:

1. Superb coaching job by Wojo. Team was organized, shared the ball, Rowsey bought in, defensive intensity was good, good substitution pattern, coupla nice plays out of time outs. Not gonna praise him too much though - I mean, it's his job!

2. I really like it when Sam looks to post up. He is good at it and should do it more often! Solid game.

3. Nice job by Heldt on their top scorer. Lamb had a quickness advantage but Heldt used his height well. Also, Bardo made a good point on one of Heldt's moving screens - said that Markus needed to give Heldt time to set the screen.

4. Markus ... whew! Run him off the arc, and he's very tough in the lane. That's an NBA quality floater. While I agree it's unlikely that he would get drafted as a small, skinny kid who doesn't handle it like Curry does, it's still possible that peeps he trusts will tell him otherwise. Remember: A guy doesn't have to be ready to go pro, he just has to think he's ready (and get some bad advice). Having said that, I still think he stays all 4 years. Oh, and he STILL hasn't missed a FT! I'm sticking with NEVER in my poll!!

5. Rowsey was in control most of the night and was looking for teammates. He will have plenty of opportunities to score. I'm a Rowsey fan, but I gotta admit I never thought I'd see him get double-digit assists.

6. Cain and Elliott are going to be good Big East basketball players. Maybe even very good.

7. Anim impressed me tonight, especially on D.

8. Vermont is a good, well-coached team. Lost at Kentucky by 4, won a lower-level holiday tournament in the Bahamas, won at Yale and at Richmond. This was a quality victory over a legit NCAA tourney team in what was pretty much a must-win game. We would have beaten them by more but they had a reserve who had made only 5 threes all season go 6-for-6 tonight.

9. Time to get ready to beat the f%ck outta F%ucky!

10. Fire Brey!!!!!!!!!
I have to take exception to your #5 point here:

#5. No he wasn't looking for his teammates and under control all night. Not even most of the night. Especially in the post!!!

I was sitting with Theo John's dad and we both said why doesn't this guy make a darn entry pass and get some paint touches with Heldt and John every trip down dare near!

He did not call them up to set the screen and did not wait for them when he did. On several occasions, John and Matt worked their tail off to get a decent position and he looked right at them and did not throw down to them who both could have given Vermont a different look.   

The screen and roll and pick and roll game was there for him all night long and they could have run some action off of that with Hauser and Howard spotting up all night long...in the half court, but he didn't.

He was average up close at best.

Also, the Vermont coach did not use his players right. They shot ok from 3pt range so he stick with but could have beat MU up down low...glad he did not.

MAJOR PET PEEVE:

Also Vermont, next time one of your players is down on the floor in pain and the ball is going the other way, you foul and get back down and pick him up! Get your trainer's ass out on the floor and look after the young man and see if he is ok.

It took those idiots 40 seconds to actually attend to #2 as I sat there and watch it with Theo's dad and we both said to ourselves, "why in the world don't they go and check on the guy!?" Not one player walked over and the coach did not even look over there to see if he was ok. I don't like them from now just because of that.

If that was my kid who fell like that and went unattended that long in front of his teammates and all those people, we'd have a problem... I would not be happy. Just some extra musings and rants that perturbed me. Carry on...     
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 12:50:12 AM by MUHoopsFan2 »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2017, 07:15:40 AM »
Oops....had no intention to post in red....sigh...

You can use the "modify" function to fix it.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2017, 07:46:44 AM »

#5. No he wasn't looking for his teammates and under control all night. Not even most of the night. Especially in the post!!!

I was sitting with Theo John's dad and we both said why doesn't this guy make a darn entry pass and get some paint touches with Heldt and John every trip down dare near!

He did not call them up to set the screen and did not wait for them when he did. On several occasions, John and Matt worked their tail off to get a decent position and he looked right at them and did not throw down to them who both could have given Vermont a different look.   

The screen and roll and pick and roll game was there for him all night long and they could have run some action off of that with Hauser and Howard spotting up all night long...in the half court, but he didn't.

I disagree.  We were courtside, (so also got an up close look) and remarked to each other several times that Rowsey was clearly in an assist mode.  Each time he drove the lane and I thought he was going to shoot, he kicked it out to the corner or dished inside.  After doing that for a while, his shot opened up.  That was the most I've seen him look like a point guard in a Warrior uni.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2017, 08:00:02 AM »

Two things...first you don't get 10 assists to 1 turnover unless you are looking for teammates and playing under control. Honest question, who was the last guy to have a 10:1 or better A/T ratio in a game for Marquette in a game where said player had double digit assists?

Second, sitting with Theo John's dad may have biased your opinion. Of course he wants his son to get the ball. That's the nature of being a parent. But while there might have been individual plays Rowsey could've done better on, his overall game was all around solid.

Finally, let's not forget that Theo John tied career highs in both points (6) and made field goals (3/3) last night, and all three baskets were assisted by Andrew Rowsey. So any complaints from the John family about Rowsey's play last night when Rowsey's distribution literally accounted for every point Theo scored might be a bit unfounded.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2017, 08:34:42 AM »
The thing I liked the most was MU's resilience. They couldn't really put the game away, and Vermont was often able to cut a 8 point or so lead down to a one possession game. But MU responded each time and didn't fold.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:37:32 AM by mug644 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2017, 08:52:09 AM »
The thing with Vermont's trainer was weird. I commented on it to Mrs. TAMU and her response was classic "Maybe, the trainer was in the sh*tter"
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2017, 08:53:10 AM »
The thing with Vermont's trainer was weird. I commented on it to Mrs. TAMU and her response was classic "Maybe, the trainer was in the sh*tter"

Classy broad you married there!

But seriously, I was wondering if everyone on the UV team hated that guy or something.
Have some patience, FFS.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2017, 08:53:45 AM »
I thought it was weird too so I was looking at their bench and it looked like their trainer was looking at his watch.  Could it have been something like, "He has 30 seconds to work it out on his own but since we stopped the game and it's a longer break he has to come out now" and at that point the trainer then comes out?  Only thing I could think of.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2017, 08:59:46 AM »
Also Vermont, next time one of your players is down on the floor in pain and the ball is going the other way, you foul and get back down and pick him up! Get your trainer's ass out on the floor and look after the young man and see if he is ok.

It took those idiots 40 seconds to actually attend to #2 as I sat there and watch it with Theo's dad and we both said to ourselves, "why in the world don't they go and check on the guy!?" Not one player walked over and the coach did not even look over there to see if he was ok. I don't like them from now just because of that.

Our group was all thinking the same thing. When a guy is down, there should always be trainers, coaches, players, etc hustling over to check on him. The only thing I could think of was that maybe there is a rule about a player's ability to re-enter the game if he's been attended to by a coach or trainer. Does anyone know if there is such a rule in college basketball?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2017, 09:07:52 AM »
BTW, I didn't realize that Vermont had a local kid on the team.  Cam Ward from Marshall who is a senior.  My guess is that Vermont was looking to schedule a game either here or in Madison for his sake.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2017, 09:18:57 AM »
BTW, I didn't realize that Vermont had a local kid on the team.  Cam Ward from Marshall who is a senior.  My guess is that Vermont was looking to schedule a game either here or in Madison for his sake.

That explains the unexpectedly decent number of Vermont fans that were at the game.
Have some patience, FFS.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2017, 09:22:10 AM »
That explains the unexpectedly decent number of Vermont fans that were at the game.

Yeah I was in 211 towards the top and the entire mini-section below us was full of Vermont fans. Many more than I thought.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2017, 09:23:12 AM »

If you'd met Mrs. TAMU's dad, you'd understand.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2017, 09:30:54 AM »

This game reminded me that that there is a big difference in the physicality of high major and low major players. Vermont is more disciplined, more experienced, and plays way smarter than Georgia ever will. Imagine what they could do if their players had the athleticism of Georgia's players.

Agree 100%. Last night showed how good we can look when we're not overwhelmed physically or athletically.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2017, 09:45:30 AM »

But seriously, I was wondering if everyone on the UV team hated that guy or something.

She is my Long Island Italian bride and wouldn't want it any other way
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2017, 10:20:33 AM »
She is my Long Island Italian bride and wouldn't want it any other way

Long Island Italian Bride sounds like a reality show.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2017, 10:29:25 AM »
Sacar plus freshmen really starting to get the feel of the college game.  Really played well tonight.

Sacar has surprised me with his athleticism.

The two freshmen have shown a lot of basketball skills for Wojo to work with - plus they have length and give great effort on defense.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2017, 10:41:54 AM »

Also, the Vermont coach did not use his players right. They shot ok from 3pt range so he stick with but could have beat MU up down low...glad he did not.

MAJOR PET PEEVE:

If that was my kid who fell like that and went unattended that long in front of his teammates and all those people, we'd have a problem... I would not be happy. Just some extra musings and rants that perturbed me. Carry on...     

Well, I take exception to you taking exception to my No. 5. Other Scoopers have responded already, and I agree with them, so I won't be repetitive here. Rowsey, by and large, played a good, team-oriented floor game.

As for the way the Vermont folks let that kid just lay there ... I absolutely agree. That was shameful.

Of course, as a Warrior, I was more pissed off that, playing 5-on-4, we took a stupid, rushed 3-pointer from the deep corner (wasn't even Markus, Andrew or Sam) rather than work the ball for a layup or a wide-open 3 from one of our shooters.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2017, 10:47:34 AM »
I sit all the way up in section 413 and have a solid view of the jumbotron during the game, so a little different perspective than most. Some of you are right, some of you are wrong...

I will say I thought Rowsey was just fine yesterday.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2017, 10:49:10 AM »
Of course, as a Warrior, I was more pissed off that, playing 5-on-4, we took a stupid, rushed 3-pointer from the deep corner (wasn't even Markus, Andrew or Sam) rather than work the ball for a layup or a wide-open 3 from one of our shooters.

I was embarrassed to admit it, but that was my first thought when it happened, though I did not realize it was a head injury. 

It was one thing that the kid was forced to lay there alone while we tried to score.  But why the trainer wasn't right on the kid when the whistle blew was quite strange.  I find soccer very difficult to watch, but I do like the tradition of kicking the ball out of bounds so that an injured player can get treatment and then the other team reciprocating when play resumes.  (Of course in soccer they weren't going to score anyway, so you're not giving away anything).
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2017, 10:53:05 AM »
I sit all the way up in section 413 and have a solid view of the jumbotron during the game, so a little different perspective than most. Some of you are right, some of you are wrong...

Do you sit next to these guys?