'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: John Fanta at the Al today  (Read 4704 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: John Fanta at the Al today
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2023, 06:39:27 PM »

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2023, 07:38:26 PM »
Got to love Fanta…….comes to Milwaukee….raves about Marquette….  Says they should be the preseason favorite to win the Big East after winning it last season and returning almost everyone…..

Yet on the Field of 68 podcast  picks Creighton to win the league……. ::)

Not to nitpick, but they are two different things.

Saying that Marquette should be the preseason favorite to win the conference is logical, and wouldn’t come as a surprise if true.

That’s not saying that they will win the conference though.

Picking Creighton to win the league is also a fairly logical prediction.
I’d say that picking Marquette or Creighton is logical, picking UConn is understandable but a bigger reach imo.
Picking anyone else is pretty foolish.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2023, 08:56:01 PM »

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2023, 05:17:26 PM »
I know what TK's response was when told that Fanta picked Creighton ! ! !   8-)

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2023, 12:54:55 AM »

Better yet, what's his neck size?

Can Fanta dunk?

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2023, 01:53:47 PM »
Fanta made the argument for Creighton winning but also said Marquette is the best team.  TO, Dauster, and Fanta all picked us.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2023, 02:22:40 PM »
At the Beginning of the Big East Tournament many Prognosticators said MU was favorite to win BET, yet many of the same said U Conn favored to win Natty.

Can be a similar situation this year. MU could do well in Tournament and make it to Final Four and Beyond while Creighton could win regular season crown.

Injuries can have a major impact on a lot of this.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2023, 11:27:48 PM »
At the Beginning of the Big East Tournament many Prognosticators said MU was favorite to win BET, yet many of the same said U Conn favored to win Natty.

Can be a similar situation this year. MU could do well in Tournament and make it to Final Four and Beyond while Creighton could win regular season crown.

Injuries can have a major impact on a lot of this.

I don’t think I saw any prognosticators predicting MU to win the BET last year. Almost everyone said UCONN.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2023, 09:49:27 AM »

I would be interested to see these prognostications. I don't remember a groundswell of people saying that Marquette was the BET favorite or that UConn was the NC favorite. There might be people who said UConn could win the NC, but I'd actually be shocked if there was any reputable outlet or prognosticator that did so. They were a 4-seed, and most people seemed to think Alabama, Houston, and to a lesser extent Purdue were the favorites. In their own region, both Gonzaga and Kansas were regarded as more likely to make the Final Four and cut down nets.

If you have receipts that prove your assertion, I'd be happy to read them, but I honestly think you are just making this up.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2023, 09:57:33 AM »
I would be interested to see these prognostications. I don't remember a groundswell of people saying that Marquette was the BET favorite or that UConn was the NC favorite. There might be people who said UConn could win the NC, but I'd actually be shocked if there was any reputable outlet or prognosticator that did so. They were a 4-seed, and most people seemed to think Alabama, Houston, and to a lesser extent Purdue were the favorites. In their own region, both Gonzaga and Kansas were regarded as more likely to make the Final Four and cut down nets.

If you have receipts that prove your assertion, I'd be happy to read them, but I honestly think you are just making this up.

At the time we won the regular season going into the BET tournament . Big East related TV commentators .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2023, 12:06:27 PM »

I think in general people thought UConn had a larger upside.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35862415/men-final-four-march-madness-predictions-espn-college-basketball-experts-tournament-picks

Before last year's tournament, ESPN asked for predictions from 42 of their folks who work in college basketball.

11 picked Marquette to get to the Final Four. No one predicted they would win the championship.

10 picked UConn to get to the Final Four. Three predicted they would win the championship.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2023, 08:50:34 PM »
3 out of 42 wouldn't be what I call "many said they were favored" but to each their own.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.