Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kon!  (Read 4998 times)

tower912

• All American
Kon!
« on: September 21, 2023, 07:20:26 PM »
Star Trek reference.   Vent here instead of the recruiting thread.   Best of luck at Duke, young man.
Mitchell
Kam
Sean
Ross
Norman
Lowery
Joplin
Gold
Amadou
Hamilton
Owens
Parham

Assuming TKO and Oso move on.

The only weakness is experience
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 07:25:19 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
Re: Kon!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 08:06:32 PM »
Star Trek reference.   Vent here instead of the recruiting thread.   Best of luck at Duke, young man.
Mitchell
Kam
Sean
Ross
Norman
Lowery
Joplin
Gold
Amadou
Hamilton
Owens
Parham

Assuming TKO and Oso move on.

The only weakness is experience

No need to vent here or in the recruiting thread. As you have illustrated with this post, we're in great shape. Good luck to Kon. 

« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 08:09:29 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2023, 08:18:22 PM »
No need to vent here or in the recruiting thread. As you have illustrated with this post, we're in great shape. Good luck to Kon.

Yep. Marquette will be just fine.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2023, 08:35:01 PM »
Just really a bummer that he couldn't get into UW

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2023, 08:40:16 PM »
They kooled on him.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2023, 08:59:17 PM »
In response to the 4never vent, I started thinking about players from Wisconsin who played 4 years at MU since 2000.
Merritt
Novak
Diener
Matthews
Heldt

Who am I missing?

Kon probably isn't staying anywere 4 years anywhere. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 09:01:01 PM by tower912 »

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2023, 09:43:57 PM »
The title got me excited. Wth 🤦‍♂️

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2023, 12:20:12 AM »
In response to the 4never vent, I started thinking about players from Wisconsin who played 4 years at MU since 2000.
Merritt
Novak
Diener
Matthews
Heldt

Who am I missing?

Duane Wilson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2023, 02:19:10 AM »
Duane Wilson

Enrolled four. Played three.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2023, 06:34:09 AM »
Merritt
Novak
Diener
Matthews
Heldt

Who am I missing?

I understand what he’s saying.  Locally, the Milwaukee area specifically, is producing more higher level talent than probably anytime in history.  Now, does adding one of these kids for 1-2 years do anything?  I don’t know but they’re good players.

Do Jalen Johnson, Kevon Looney, Diamond Stone or Kon do anything for Marquette while they’re on campus?  Well, they didn’t do much for their schools (Kon withstanding, of course) they were at.

It’s an interesting exercise.  I’d prefer a year and the chance they’re great for a year than not.  But the argument the other way is pretty strong, too, given the results.  Four years of the guys listed above versus one year of the guys I listed?  Interesting argument
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2023, 08:15:32 AM »
I have always believed that getting the best local players that fit a system is very important in building a program. Very disappointed MU did not land Kon, but the game continues to change. IMO, if Shaka is at MU for ten years that he will win more local targets than he loses over the years.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2023, 08:27:32 AM »
I have always believed that getting the best local players that fit a system is very important in building a program.

There may have been a time and a place for this, but I don't think that's been the case for awhile now. These guys are travelling all over for AAU and many go to prep schools anyway.

It's good to have the hometown advantage with some of these guys, but it's hardly a necessity. The only scholarship player on Marquette's roster from the local area only ended up at Marquette because they hired the coach he committed to at Texas. That's more coincidence than anything.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2023, 08:29:43 AM »
Tower

I agree. But, MKE does have big time talent to tap into and never hurts to land the top local kids. That said, it is national recruiting for top programs and I am confident on Shaka to continue to upgrade talent every year.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2023, 09:21:45 AM »
I have always believed that getting the best local players that fit a system is very important in building a program. Very disappointed MU did not land Kon, but the game continues to change. IMO, if Shaka is at MU for ten years that he will win more local targets than he loses over the years.

Well said Goose. 

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2023, 09:35:23 AM »
Hard if not impossible to bat 1000.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2023, 09:51:22 AM »
I'm not opposed to recruiting local kids, but I think many, if not most, want to experience something different for college.  Venture out into the world beyond where they grew up rather than stay in the same city/state.

Look at Marquette's roster.  Only one player from Wisconsin and zero players from states that border Wisconsin.  That's what national recruiting looks like.  As long as Shaka lands good players, who cares where they are from?

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2023, 09:53:35 AM »

Agree Goose.  Shaka will get the big time local players again. They just need to win big in the NCAA.  This will start this year, hopefully.  A final four at MU would add a ton of cache to his recruiting pitch after doing it at VCU as well.

Locals can be a huge presence at MU when their careers are over.  Look at Diener and Novak with the NIL initiative.  They are local and active supporters.  Visible at games.  That means something.  It is important to have a few impact locals choose MU for this reason alone. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2023, 10:17:57 AM »
I'm not opposed to recruiting local kids, but I think many, if not most, want to experience something different for college.  Venture out into the world beyond where they grew up rather than stay in the same city/state.

Look at Marquette's roster.  Only one player from Wisconsin and zero players from states that border Wisconsin.  That's what national recruiting looks like.  As long as Shaka lands good players, who cares where they are from?

Yep.  Recruiting nationally means your program matters nationally.  We aren't Bradley or SLU.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2023, 10:42:41 AM »
Yep.  Recruiting nationally means your program matters nationally.  We aren't Bradley or SLU.

Not a mutually exclusive proposition to have a few impact locals and national recruiting.  Picking the best players nationally and locally is the best case scenario for any bball program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2023, 11:00:09 AM »
Tower

I agree. But, MKE does have big time talent to tap into and never hurts to land the top local kids. That said, it is national recruiting for top programs and I am confident on Shaka to continue to upgrade talent every year.

I think coaches would disagree on the "never hurts to land the top local kids" part. From the coaches I've spoken to,  many are leery of local kids because when you recruit them,  you also recruit their high school circles. Sometimes that's a good thing,  sometimes it means additional people in their ear with equal or more influence over them then the coach (but considerably less basketball acumen then the coach).

Of course that doesnt mean you never recruit a top local kid, just saying that sometimes there are advantages to recruiting players from elsewhere.

To be clear,  staff absolutely wanted Kon
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2023, 11:02:09 AM »
I think coaches would disagree on the "never hurts to land the top local kids" part. From the coaches I've spoken to,  many are leery of local kids because when you recruit them,  you also recruit their high school circles. Sometimes that's a good thing,  sometimes it means additional people in their ear with equal or more influence over them then the coach (but considerably less basketball acumen then the coach).

Of course that doesnt mean you never recruit a top local kid, just saying that sometimes there are advantages to recruiting players from elsewhere.

To be clear,  staff absolutely wanted Kon

I watched two local kids try to destroy a program
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2023, 11:19:38 AM »
I watched two local kids try to destroy a program

try?   

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2023, 11:55:26 AM »
Not a mutually exclusive proposition to have a few impact locals and national recruiting.  Picking the best players nationally and locally is the best case scenario for any bball program.

National recruiting includes regional and local, by definition. 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2023, 11:58:59 AM »
I should have gone to Duke.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2023, 12:03:17 PM »
I should have gone to Duke.

DookieScoop doesn't have anything to do with basketball, though, just so you're aware.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria