[Today at 03:27:33 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 03:22:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marshalls & TJ Maxx / Saks Off 5th & Nordy Rack  (Read 272 times)

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
Marshalls & TJ Maxx / Saks Off 5th & Nordy Rack
« on: May 05, 2024, 05:54:15 PM »
Hoping some Scoopers with a Retail/Merchandising background can answer the following:

Why have apparel options at Marshalls and TJ Maxx stores been so threadbare the last couple of years?  They don't get anywhere near the same selection of brands that they used to and the quality of what they do get has declined precipitously over the last couple of years.   I get that neither has ever been anything close to even mid-range, let alone upscale but you used to at least occasionally be able to score halfway decent stuff like Brooks Bros and legit Ralph Lauren Polo Shirts (not their lower end "LAUREN" line) and the like for a reasonable price.  It was always hit or miss (mostly miss 75% of the time) BUT you could still find something decent once in while.  No longer.   Although I rarely bought clothing anyone can see at either of those places, they were great for basics like underwear and T-Shirts.   They don't even get the decent brands for those anymore so it's frustrating.   On the slightly higher end, the quality of merch at Saks Off 5th and Nordstrom Rack has also declined considerably.  I was always aware that even back in the day, those places hardly sold anything that was ever actually on offer at a full service Saks or Nordstrom, but that was ok because you could still get decent stuff.   Largely untrue today.  If you take an average pair of jeans and look under the hood the quality of the rivets and zippers is garbage now as is the quality of the fabric used to make the pockets.  It's very thin and not the heavy canvas they used to be routinely be made of.   To get that quality today you have to go to a high end specialty brand like Tellason, APC or Japanese brands and pay well over $200.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 05:59:03 PM by Disco Hippie »

tower912

• All American
Re: Marshalls & TJ Maxx / Saks Off 5th & Nordy Rack
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2024, 06:00:21 PM »
Levi's 541 jeans are my favorite Levi's ever.   They were smart enough to adapt with the times and put some stretch in there, reacting to all of the activewear.  $200?   Never.

As to the others, I haven't bought anything from any of them in at least a decade, so I have no opinion.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2024, 06:08:06 PM »
child labor.laws are being enfoced more. Or better known as "supply chain" issues
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 07:18:08 PM by lawdog77 »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2024, 06:31:37 PM »
Blame covid...da gift dat keeps on givin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2024, 06:49:49 PM »
Hoping some Scoopers with a Retail/Merchandising background can answer the following:

Why have apparel options at Marshalls and TJ Maxx stores been so threadbare the last couple of years?  They don't get anywhere near the same selection of brands that they used to and the quality of what they do get has declined precipitously over the last couple of years.   I get that neither has ever been anything close to even mid-range, let alone upscale but you used to at least occasionally be able to score halfway decent stuff like Brooks Bros and legit Ralph Lauren Polo Shirts (not their lower end "LAUREN" line) and the like for a reasonable price.  It was always hit or miss (mostly miss 75% of the time) BUT you could still find something decent once in while.  No longer.   Although I rarely bought clothing anyone can see at either of those places, they were great for basics like underwear and T-Shirts.   They don't even get the decent brands for those anymore so it's frustrating.   On the slightly higher end, the quality of merch at Saks Off 5th and Nordstrom Rack has also declined considerably.  I was always aware that even back in the day, those places hardly sold anything that was ever actually on offer at a full service Saks or Nordstrom, but that was ok because you could still get decent stuff.   Largely untrue today.  If you take an average pair of jeans and look under the hood the quality of the rivets and zippers is garbage now as is the quality of the fabric used to make the pockets.  It's very thin and not the heavy canvas they used to be routinely be made of.   To get that quality today you have to go to a high end specialty brand like Tellason, APC or Japanese brands and pay well over $200.
Blame covid...da gift dat keeps on givin', hey?
Companies are reducing SKUs in order to maintain in stock levels on Merchandise that moves. The Covid supply chain ripple effect is still a factor in many industries . Primarily the chip shortage which is now about over. Retail merchandising has long lead times as they deal primarily with foreign production.

My guess is the situation you are experiencing will change as the economy slows and retailers will need to liquidate better classes of inventory.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2024, 07:08:36 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2024, 07:11:25 PM »
Musk secretly bought them.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2024, 07:53:45 PM »
With the effects of COVID, everything became about inventory control. Companies didnt want money tied up in warehouses.

Stores, in turn, cut their selections and reduced vendors they had previously dealt with.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2024, 08:18:54 PM »
The Nordstrom Rack in downtown Minneapolis closed because of the defund the police movement
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2024, 08:35:10 PM »
With the effects of COVID, everything became about inventory control. Companies didnt want money tied up in warehouses.

Stores, in turn, cut their selections and reduced vendors they had previously dealt with.

Yep, it was a bean counter Wall St fueled trend in the lead-up to COVID but then COVID and the effects pushed it into overdrive.

Signet, for example, the US/World's largest jewelry retailer used to keep 2-3 of a SKU in each store, plus another 1-2 per store in inventory at HQ.  Gave them smooth efficiency, low wait times, and nearly no "we can have that for you within 1-2 weeks" cause it would usually be there next day if needed.

Then they slashed that to 1-2 per SKU and then maybe 1 per every 10-20 stores back at HQ.  Absolutely nuked their suppliers without warning, shoved inventory BACK down the throats of some suppliers, and then started demanding PDQ delivery of replenishment stock. 

And they are far from the only ones.  It will be interesting to see the long term effects because unless Star Trek style materialization of products and immediate teleportation of those products to stores occurs, the buffer and logistic pipeline that the bigger retailers have torched in the last few years in the name of inventory cost control is gonna start to fail them.  And correction will need to occur.

But to the thread topic, this has obviously gutted outlet stores as well cause there is far less excess inventory.  Funny enough, I know another major jeweler that had a thriving outlet business.  They had a couple of "outlet specific" lines/SKUs, basically repurposed products from the main jewelery chain.  Well with the sort of changes mentioned above, there was far less product to repurpose so they couldn't fill those SKUs.  So they basically had to order them specially.  Whereas there used to be a few hundred that would get batch repurposed every quarter, they had to start ordering them onsie twosie every few weeks.  And it was/is a huge pain for them cause its super low priority and volume for the suppliers but its expected to be hopped to with quickness like it used to be.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: Today at 10:01:02 AM »

I haven't bought any clothes in a department store in a decade and I'm in my 40s.  When I look at what I buy I first choose style and fit.  Then materials.

A lot of the stuff at department stores and the places you mention have name brands, but that's what you're paying for.  The popular brands figured this out well over twenty years ago.  Quality garments can be found online easily, and then you can either find a local store... assuming you're in a big city.... or you can measure yourself and have the item delivered.  I typically don't buy from anywhere that doesn't include free shipping and free returns.  I recently bought a pair of Naked and Famous jeans, and I love them.

I understand your frustration as a discerning clothes buyer and can relate, but we would very much be in the minority in the entire US population.  Most people buy either whatever is cheapest, or they buy something with a label on it with similar quality but a higher price and assume it is better.

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: Today at 12:36:16 PM »
I haven't bought any clothes in a department store in a decade and I'm in my 40s.  When I look at what I buy I first choose style and fit.  Then materials.

A lot of the stuff at department stores and the places you mention have name brands, but that's what you're paying for.  The popular brands figured this out well over twenty years ago.  Quality garments can be found online easily, and then you can either find a local store... assuming you're in a big city.... or you can measure yourself and have the item delivered.  I typically don't buy from anywhere that doesn't include free shipping and free returns.  I recently bought a pair of Naked and Famous jeans, and I love them.

I understand your frustration as a discerning clothes buyer and can relate, but we would very much be in the minority in the entire US population.  Most people buy either whatever is cheapest, or they buy something with a label on it with similar quality but a higher price and assume it is better.

No doubt we are in the minority.  Mrs. Disco Hippie is constantly on my case about how much I spend, but my stuff lasts decades and I take care of it.   I'm not a label whore and prioritize quality and materials over designer brands.  Unfortunately those don't align as much as they used to with LVMH's and Kering's of the world raising prices while simultaneously cutting corners on materials and manufacturing to pad their bottom lines.  Naked and Famous jeans are great!  Their NYC flagship store is quite the place.  Never bought a pair there but the quality is very apparent.  For a slightly less expensive option check out  Dearborn Denim out of Chicago.  Great Product for the price. 

https://dearborndenim.us/collections/mens-cotton-denim-jeans

feedback