collapse

* Recent Posts

Home and Home with Maryland by PointWarrior
[Today at 10:09:08 AM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[Today at 04:10:17 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: no homo (nh)  (Read 46967 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Re: no homo (nh)
« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2018, 10:53:26 AM »
Theres a south park episode about this whole thread. Please watch.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2018, 10:56:10 AM »

Never underestimate Scoop's influence in the world!

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2018, 11:02:00 AM »

Which one? I feel like there is a whole season (PC Principal I think).
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #128 on: September 26, 2018, 11:05:16 AM »
Point well taken reinko, BUT, many of us are honestly just finding out, in this ever evolving world, what is offensive, kinda offensive, used to cool but is now offensive, not yet offensive but probably will be soon, etc etc.  a lot of this depends on where you live, how you live, who one interacts with, etc.  nh is a great example and there are many more.  Is this an excuse?

Others have addressed this, but all around good post. Plenty has changed in my 40+ years as far as what's acceptable, and I'm sure there are things happening or being said now that we'll look back at in 20 years and wonder what we were thinking.

I think all you can really do is try to take others into account, learn as you go, and apologize when you are in the wrong. If you're sincere, I've found that people will generally be willing to forgive and offer second chances. No one will ever be perfect when it comes to any of this, but if you care enough about others to try to be better, you'll be able to keep going in the right direction.

As far as MSK's comments, I'm reminded of Jason Kander, who often says "Everyone has a platform, be sure to use yours." If educating people on a website and maybe influencing the behavior of one or two people is the platform someone uses, that's awesome. If someone uses other platforms, even better. All you can do is pay attention to what you can influence and try to make your voice heard.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #129 on: September 26, 2018, 11:39:07 AM »
As far as MSK's comments, I'm reminded of Jason Kander, who often says "Everyone has a platform, be sure to use yours." If educating people on a website and maybe influencing the behavior of one or two people is the platform someone uses, that's awesome. If someone uses other platforms, even better. All you can do is pay attention to what you can influence and try to make your voice heard.

If everyone tries to make their voice heard, no one can.

Since it's prolly 'bout time to Godwin the thread, I'm sure Hitler wanted to make his voice heard and spread his influence, too.

Moral of Story: Best be damn sure the "influence" you're spreading doesn't come at a greater cost and/or have perilous side-effects.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #130 on: September 26, 2018, 11:46:21 AM »
Which one? I feel like there is a whole season (PC Principal I think).

Nah it's way earlier, I'll attempt to find it. It really boils down to what people actually mean when they say words such as gay or no homo

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2018, 11:51:02 AM »
Found it. Season 13 Episode 12 "The F word"

It's about how language is mallable and changing, that words such as cute one or homo only are taboo since society deems it this way, even though they are using it in a very different context.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #132 on: September 26, 2018, 11:56:56 AM »
Found it. Season 13 Episode 12 "The F word"

It's about how language is mallable and changing, that words such as cute one or homo only are taboo since society deems it this way, even though they are using it in a very different context.
But is painfully obvious the way JayBee is using it, particularly when he changes it to "no mu82" in a little effort to take what he thinks is a dig at that poster.  The context is absolutely clear.

There really isn't hiding behind "I didn't mean it negatively" in his case.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 12:03:27 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #133 on: September 26, 2018, 12:03:05 PM »
Maybee wee could just have a separate thread started wear wee all just rip da chit outta each udder. Kinda like a cleansin' and gettin' it outta won's system and such.
Aftawords, just play nice in da sandbox singin' Kumbaya tagether, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2018, 12:11:10 PM »
But is painfully obvious the way JayBee is using it, particularly when he changes it to "no mu82" in a little effort to take what he thinks is a dig at that poster.  The context is absolutely clear.

He goes well out of his way to make male sexuality-related jokes in many of his posts, almost entirely when there is absolutely no tie-in for it. Later on, you see the (nh) and realize that the tie-in was nothing other than the psychological desire to make an (nh) joke.

Are these latent homosexual tendencies? You might be able to convince yourself of that, given the sheer amount this has happened, and how the internet is an ideal place to "test one's curiosities". Anecdotally, I've found that there is a much higher proportion of homosexuals among the homophobic male group, as opposed to the general population of men. Most straight males don't have an obsessively strong desire to make homophobic jokes, time and time again. They might slip up here and there, but it certainly doesn't infect their thought processes.

I'm not naming names, though.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 12:35:13 PM by D'Lo Brown »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2018, 12:19:19 PM »

Sorry didn't attempt to make it seem like I was defending him. I actually dislike Jaybee (and anyone else who just attacks other posters cough* wades* cough).

I was just trying to join in on the overall conversation of the words.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #136 on: September 26, 2018, 12:51:04 PM »
I don't use that reference, but noticed MU82 did this weekend.  Didn't bother me, I was raised in a different era where we joked about a lot of things and people had senses of humor. That is lost now.   I ask the question really to understand what is allowed and isn't.  Becky is upsetting, therefore one must assume Queens is?  I only ask.  That would lead me to believe that any reference of any kind toward the opposite sex (e.g. he plays like a girl) or whatever is also off limits?

Seems to me Schmidt's Gay icon probably needs to go.  Herman Cain avatar needs to go.  This is going to become a sterile place, but if that is what people want.   :-X

Well people have been trying to phase out "play like a girl" for a while now. It quite literally means "doing something like a girl is a bad thing".

These things are on a spectrum. On one side you have extreme examples of hatred like the KKK. On the other side you move more low level things like referring to the Badgers as Becky. Everyone is going to "draw their line in the sand" at different points and that's okay. Not every one has to agree on what is and isn't offensive. The important thing is that when you meet someone whose "line in the sand" is different than yours, you respect them.

As for your worry that this will become a "sterile" place, I think we will be okay. Two avatars out of thousands change? I don't know about you, but I don't come here for the avatars or the racy jokes/language. I think we have plenty of words and images available to us to have stimulating discussions about Marquette basketball and other topics.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #137 on: September 26, 2018, 01:11:51 PM »
Well people have been trying to phase out "play like a girl" for a while now. It quite literally means "doing something like a girl is a bad thing".

These things are on a spectrum. On one side you have extreme examples of hatred like the KKK. On the other side you move more low level things like referring to the Badgers as Becky. Everyone is going to "draw their line in the sand" at different points and that's okay. Not every one has to agree on what is and isn't offensive. The important thing is that when you meet someone whose "line in the sand" is different than yours, you respect them.

As for your worry that this will become a "sterile" place, I think we will be okay. Two avatars out of thousands change? I don't know about you, but I don't come here for the avatars or the racy jokes/language. I think we have plenty of words and images available to us to have stimulating discussions about Marquette basketball and other topics.

I don't understand the concept on agree what is offensive. If one is offended, then by nature a comment is offensive whether the person who said it agrees or not.

They might have qualms about the sensitivity of someone but that's a different story.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #138 on: September 26, 2018, 01:22:30 PM »
You can try to offend me all you want, but you've essentially just emphasized my earlier point. 

I know what you are.

Wow. This is a classic.

Life hint - not everything is about YOU. We aren't all thinking about Bennie all the time - or even ever. Maybe check your ego at the sign-in screen next time.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2018, 01:26:51 PM »
I don't understand the concept on agree what is offensive. If one is offended, then by nature a comment is offensive whether the person who said it agrees or not.

They might have qualms about the sensitivity of someone but that's a different story.

And then when someone is offended you have two choices, be respectful or not. Doubling down on the disrespect to me is a signal that the person doesn’t quite get it, so firing back doesn’t work. Choosing respect is always the answer, and when we blow it we allow for growth on both sides, the one who blew it and the one who forgives. We will all blow it, we will all have the chance to forgive. Simple, not easy.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #140 on: September 26, 2018, 01:34:58 PM »
He goes well out of his way to make male sexuality-related jokes in many of his posts, almost entirely when there is absolutely no tie-in for it. Later on, you see the (nh) and realize that the tie-in was nothing other than the psychological desire to make an (nh) joke.

Are these latent homosexual tendencies? You might be able to convince yourself of that, given the sheer amount this has happened, and how the internet is an ideal place to "test one's curiosities". Anecdotally, I've found that there is a much higher proportion of homosexuals among the homophobic male group, as opposed to the general population of men. Most straight males don't have an obsessively strong desire to make homophobic jokes, time and time again. They might slip up here and there, but it certainly doesn't infect their thought processes.

I'm not naming names, though.

Not exactly sure what to make of Jay Bee.  I will point out I don't recall him ever discussing personal interactions (social or otherwise) with any women except sex workers or one-night stands.  I don't think he has ever mentioned any platonic female friends. Sounds to me like he has issues with women one way or the other.
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #141 on: September 26, 2018, 01:37:08 PM »
Wow. This is a classic.

Life hint - not everything is about YOU. We aren't all thinking about Bennie all the time - or even ever. Maybe check your ego at the sign-in screen next time.

You may be the Jockey, but I'm the Joker.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/O1tM4kQkLcY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/O1tM4kQkLcY</a>

Spoiler alert: turns out that I complete you or some garbage like that, I shed a tear, fade to black.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #142 on: September 26, 2018, 02:02:24 PM »
Maybee wee could just have a separate thread started wear wee all just rip da chit outta each udder. Kinda like a cleansin' and gettin' it outta won's system and such.
Aftawords, just play nice in da sandbox singin' Kumbaya tagether, aina?
The Purge
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #143 on: September 26, 2018, 02:15:01 PM »
The Purge

Honestly, I'd prefer this:

#ThanosDidNothingWrong

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #144 on: September 26, 2018, 02:34:19 PM »
Herman Cain avatar needs to go.

I get the Schmitt's Gay, but why would Herman Cain's avatar need to go?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #145 on: September 26, 2018, 02:35:44 PM »
What Scoopers would come out for The Purge, @1neee????
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #146 on: September 26, 2018, 02:48:30 PM »

Personal attacks are totally against Scoop rules, and for good reason, but that's OK.

BJ is a small, bitter person. I haven't decided whether he's more pitiable or simply pitiful - for reasons chick articulated very well, and other reasons, too.

I would like to be there when he attempts to assault a 6-foot-5, 250-pound man for wearing a hat while the anthem is playing, though. That would be fun.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2018, 02:51:34 PM »
Nads, dat's the furst rule violated neerly universally, as ewe sew eloquently demonstrated, aina?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 02:53:12 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #148 on: September 26, 2018, 02:54:09 PM »
Nads, dat's the furst rule violated neerly universally, aina?

Perhaps. I don't recall anybody else other than BJ celebrating the fact that a fellow Scooper and fellow Warrior lost his or her job during the recession, though. Maybe I'm wrong about that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #149 on: September 26, 2018, 03:59:24 PM »
I’m sure JB talks a tough game, but if given the chance to say no homo in front of a gay man, he would turtle up and stay silent.

Aside from the obvious wrong which he refuses to acknowledge, the equally embarrassing part of the equation is that he still thinks it’s on trend to say. Dude Cam’ron hasn’t used that in a verse in almost ten years, give it up. I bet you still say “Kobe” when you shoot and miss a jumper in your pick up games.

feedback