[Today at 08:37:20 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JTJ3
[Today at 06:35:06 AM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: student section chant  (Read 29974 times)

MarsupialMadness

• All American
Re: student section chant
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2013, 03:58:17 PM »
Well, unfortunately, there is nothing original about calling a student section an "army." Looks like we are stealing another idea! I did some investigative research on google and it looks like Syracuse's student section is called "Otto's Army." From the pictures, it looks like they are all wearing army helmets. We should copy that! No one will know.

Yea, but it's not alliteration, so it's dumb.  No one cares about assonance.

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2013, 04:00:46 PM »
Yea, but it's not alliteration, so it's dumb.  No one cares about assonance.

Did you just get back from 8th grade english class or something?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2013, 04:09:57 PM »
Thanks.  Hopefully you are enjoying yours.

Is commons managing the local burger king considered middle or senior management?

Death on call

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2013, 11:03:15 PM »
Is commons managing the local burger king considered middle or senior management?
How'd you know? I just got off my night shift.

Hey, I started out mopping the floor just like you guys. But now... now I'm washing lettuce. Soon I'll be on fries; then the grill. And pretty soon, I'll make assistant manager, and that's when the big bucks start rolling in.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:18:35 PM by Avenue Commons »
We Are Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2013, 04:09:32 AM »
I was under the impression that Utah State was the Park City of the Utah higher education system (that being the oasis in the desert of dryness).

Park City is ok but it is way too commercial and since "The Games given to Us by the Prophet" has become much less "Spirit Prison" and far more "Paradise" through the migration of many faithful to that ski town. If you want a real mountain town with a heavy dose of outdoors combined with an eccentric populace without the taint of 'the faith' then go to Moab. It still has the ridiculous Mormon inspired Utah liquor control laws but the locals do their best to live round them. All tap beer is 3.2 so everyone drinks bottled. Micros exceed 5.5% so they are the brews of choice. Good local choices include Wasatch Polygamy Porter, First Amendment Lager, and Evolution Amber (all named with the intent of chiding the Elders and their faithful.) Shots are metered and dispense far less than a normal shot so you order a shot, pour it in a plastic cup, then order another. Technically, you can only order a second after you have 'consumed' the first so you have to hold out the empty shot glass and state, 'I have consumed my shot.' As for mixed drinks if you order a G&T for instance you only get the one measly half shot of gin. Therefore, you order a G&T with a gin 'sidecar' so you end up with a G&T with one real shot. Once you pour the sidecar into your drink you hold out the empty shot glass, order another sidecar, and repeat as necessary for whatever your taste buds deem an appropriate amount of booze. A good bartender knows to leave space in the glass and not fill it up with tonic.

Moab has a brew pub with better food than brew though the Dead Horse Amber is not that bad.

There are a few bars in town but the best by far is Woody's. You have to see their bar - it is a solid piece of wood more than 50 feet long that predates Woody's. Climbers, base jumpers, mountain bikers, skiers, snowshoers, white water freaks, guides, miners, fugitives, drunks, cowboys, movie types, bikers, etc... have carved witticisms into its gnarled face for more than 100 years. There is a hand written sign decreeing that "Carving the Bar is now forbidden - We Mean It, Dammit!" Woody's gets the tourist crowd but it is the drinking establishment of choice for the locals. A typical dive western saloon it is a great place to take in the majesty of indoors Moab. Between the local earth mamas, visiting Hollywood types, and Outdoors Magazine hard bodies there is something to cater to every taste. You even get the stray SLC cuties who are escaping the long shadow of the Tabernacle to indulge in a dirty weekend with the unwashed heathen prior to donning her Mormon underwear and settling down with a BYU educated accountant just back from  his mission to Ghana whence she will spend her days living out the Heavenly Mother Ideal in Orem by making mac & cheese and green jello for the 8 spirit babies they have rescued from purgatory by bringing them into the world.

http://woodystavernmoab.com/

For those wondering about Mormon Underwear:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_garment
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:26:19 AM by keefe »

Death on call

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2013, 05:59:40 AM »
Personally, as long as the student section is present and making some noise and showing some form of organization, that's a win. If you don't like it, come back to Milwaukee, enroll in a class, and show those young kids how it's done. Or send your own kids to Marquette and hope they can bring your ideas in. Otherwise, you have all the right to STFU.

For the past 2-3 years, all we heard when the student section came up was complaints about attendance. Well, it's improved. Maybe not at 8 pm on a Saturday night, but let's be honest, most of the rest of the upper bowl wasn't filled either. Like it or not, USF is still USF.

The new superfans or whatever they want to call themselves are making noise and getting people involved. We wanted a Batman costume, we got him in the front row. Maybe "I Believe" wasn't done here first, but neither was "De-Fense" and no one seems to complain when that one comes out.

I think borrowing from European soccer teams would be the way to go. I think doing Liverpool's "You'll Never Walk Alone" would be awesome. But you know what? I'M NOT A STUDENT ANYMORE! So they can do what they want. As long as they are providing energy and atmosphere, that's a win. Pissing and moaning about it on Scoop won't change anything, and the odds are if you did convince them to stop doing the chants you don't like, they'd be replaced with silence. I'll take this over that any day.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2013, 11:17:42 AM »
Hey, I started out mopping the floor just like you guys. But now... now I'm washing lettuce. Soon I'll be on fries; then the grill. And pretty soon, I'll make assistant manager, and that's when the big bucks start rolling in.

That reminds me of the following:

I got bigger and better plans.  You know what I'm sayin'?  Figure I'll get me a job at the post office.  You know, maybe at a bank.  Work real hard.  Work my way up to manager.  Learn the system a little bit..... then I'll rob that motherf----- blind.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

klyrish

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2013, 11:22:05 AM »

That reminds me of the following:

HAHAHAHAHA

Classic movie! I still quote it almost daily.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2013, 11:51:39 AM »
We literally just talked about naming the student section at the last superfans meeting.

I'm sorry, who the hell are the superfans, and why are they meeting?

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2013, 11:58:46 AM »
For all my fellow middle managers out there:

Bob Porter: Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.

Peter Gibbons: I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2013, 12:06:54 PM »
Personally, as long as the student section is present and making some noise and showing some form of organization, that's a win.

For the record I think that the student section does an awesome job. They even do a great job executing the "I Believe" chant. I just don't like that the chant is "borrowed."
We Are Marquette

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2013, 12:11:36 PM »
I think doing Liverpool's "You'll Never Walk Alone" would be awesome....

I love the singing by non-American sports fans. After the lights came back from Batgate, they turned off Whitney, and the students kept singing "AND I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOUOUOUOUOUOU...". I thought, "if that doesn't throw some guy at the free-throw line off his game, nothing will."

To the super fans on this thread, that's my suggestion. Find some really old-school songs with vocals impossible to match and just butcher them. They don't have to do anything with anything, but the ear-wormier, the better.

If nothing else, it'd be good for a laugh :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:13:24 PM by Utile et Dulce »
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2013, 12:40:55 PM »
To the super fans on this thread, that's my suggestion. Find some really old-school songs with vocals impossible to match and just butcher them. They don't have to do anything with anything, but the ear-wormier, the better.

Doesn't have to be his exact thing, but his is he type of thinking tha will lead to more interesting results. I can't believe people (anywhere) are still doing the whole "right, left, right, left" thing when someone fouls out. Hey, you suck? Really? A little originality, or creativity too much to ask for?

Everyone seen this...

http://youtu.be/LNo9x7KQ4ZI

I do have to say I think the game day production could be freshened up a bit too. DJ was on his game during the whole bat fiasco (which is already played btw), but in general has seen better days.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2013, 01:42:57 PM »

http://youtu.be/LNo9x7KQ4ZI

If they did that at the Kohl Center, sleepy toddlers could get a 45 minute nap in.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
I've said it in other threads, but I think it deserves a revisit.

Hey, Pep Band, how about learning some new songs? At least half your repertoire is left over from the Geishecker era.  Why don't you put the polyester vests and disco hats back on while you are at it?

If you need some inspiration, road trip down to DePaul.  Their basketball team may suck, but their pep band rocks!
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2013, 02:00:44 PM »
How come no one ever appreciates Marquette for what it is.  The fans suck, the students suck, the band sucks, the team sucks, our prospects are going to decommit, our coach is going to leave, LW wants to turn us into Mount Mary, Scott Pilarz is the devil in disguise...

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2013, 02:01:23 PM »

Hey, Pep Band, how about learning some new songs? At least half your repertoire is left over from the Geishecker era.  Why don't you put the polyester vests and disco hats back on while you are at it?

If you need some inspiration, road trip down to DePaul.  Their basketball team may suck, but their pep band rocks!

But what if having a rocking pep band causes your basketball team to suck... do you really want to take that chance?

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2013, 02:02:11 PM »

They got new shirts this year, too much change at once can be scary.  Do they still do the pinky touch after made free throws?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 31, 2013, 02:02:41 PM »
How come no one ever appreciates Marquette for what it is.  The fans suck, the students suck, the band sucks, the team sucks, our prospects are going to decommit, our coach is going to leave, LW wants to turn us into Mount Mary, Scott Pilarz is the devil in disguise...

If alums actually appreciated MU, there would be no Scoop.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 31, 2013, 02:04:22 PM »

I believe it's fairly expensive to buy the rights to songs that pep bands perform which would explain why not many songs have changed over the years.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2013, 02:05:51 PM »

Big difference----DePaul actually has a School of Music. MU's Pep Band sucks because its essentially a club with club caliber musicians.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2013, 02:06:24 PM »
Greatest Marquette student noise of all time: The dude in the nose bleed seats who at the end of the Natl Anthem would scream, "Give 'em hell Al!"

That captured the essence of the McGuire years better than anything. Bumble bees and untuckeds, Al standing up to Rupp for his racism, craptin on the NCAA then winning the NIT, Lucky Lloyd arguing with Al as he dribbled up court, fighting with Toone in the locker room at halftime against Cincy in the Dance, Looking into Chones' empty fridge then telling him to take the ABA $, McNeil's wife fighting in the stands during a game, Gary Brell playing stoned.

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2013, 02:08:09 PM »
Ah, I remember it today, like it was yesterday.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2013, 02:11:32 PM »

Big difference----DePaul actually has a School of Music. MU's Pep Band sucks because its essentially a club with club caliber musicians.

Kurt Cobain and Eddie Vedder would take offense at this. Grunge is all about raw, natural, grit.

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2013, 02:12:26 PM »

Club caliber musicians can't add a new song or two per year?  I think the newest song the band performs is "Seven Nation Army" - from 2003.  Also, it's just the same seven notes repeated over and over.
Have some patience, FFS.