collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Racism at Talladega  (Read 12461 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Racism at Talladega
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2020, 09:57:59 AM »
actually, i'm glad there isn't much disagreement here with the exception of some wanting to jump to conclusions before all the facts come out.  then, once the original narrative is discounted, they want to continue as if it were a noose.  the reason i called it something other than a noose is just as i stated.  call it a rope handle then.  a noose is an instrument of terror and death.  this turned out not to be a noose.  no need to call anyone anything

It's a noose.  The definition is "a loop with a slipknot that binds closer the more it is drawn." 

It may have been tied for completely innocent reasons, but it is a noose.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2020, 10:04:59 AM »
Rocket, I apologize for name calling, you are correct that I should be above that and I don't condone it.   

I'll ban myself for the rest of the day.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #102 on: June 25, 2020, 10:05:36 AM »
actually, i'm glad there isn't much disagreement here with the exception of some wanting to jump to conclusions before all the facts come out.  then, once the original narrative is discounted, they want to continue as if it were a noose.  the reason i called it something other than a noose is just as i stated.  call it a rope handle then.  a noose is an instrument of terror and death.  this turned out not to be a noose.  no need to call anyone anything

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/noose?s=t

noose[ noos ]SHOW IPA
SEE SYNONYMS FOR noose ON THESAURUS.COM
noun
a loop with a running knot, as in a snare, lasso, or hangman's halter, that tightens as the rope is pulled.
a tie or bond; snare.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #103 on: June 25, 2020, 10:44:55 AM »

Say what?  It was a noose. So everyone can call it what it is and was, a noose. Noose noose noose noose noose. Say it with me. There are photos, video of the noose.

panda

• All American
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2020, 10:49:48 AM »

How many garage ropes have you ever seen tied like that?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2020, 11:01:51 AM »
No noose is good noose.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2020, 11:03:09 AM »
No noose is good noose.

Classic movie reference
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2020, 11:05:09 AM »
Yup
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2020, 11:22:01 AM »
I’m with Topper. Grand Slam that became a foul ball. This was an Emily Litella (remember Gilda Radner?) moment - a big story that the facts turn into a “never mind”. Except Al Sharpton and his minions on Scoop can’t/won’t admit the obvious.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2020, 11:25:36 AM »
The obvious is that someone tied a noose as a door pull in 2019.

Stupid.

Bubba thought it was directed at him.   It probably wasn't, but an easy mistake to make.   

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2020, 11:26:37 AM »
Except Al Sharpton and his minions on Scoop can’t/won’t admit the obvious.

Beneath you, or so I thought.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2020, 11:27:18 AM »
I’m with Topper. Grand Slam that became a foul ball. This was an Emily Litella (remember Gilda Radner?) moment - a big story that the facts turn into a “never mind”. Except Al Sharpton and his minions on Scoop can’t/won’t admit the obvious.

Admit what?  I don't think anyone is disputing what you are saying.  The only dispute is some refuse to call it what it was.  It was a noose, but one seemingly not done to intimidate, and clearly not directed at Bubba Wallace.  Lesson learned?  Don't tie garage pulls in the shape of a noose.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2020, 11:28:09 AM »
The obvious is that someone tied a noose as a door pull in 2019.

Stupid.

Bubba thought it was directed at him.   It probably wasn't, but an easy mistake to make.

Just to set the record straight, Bubba is not the person who saw the noose or reported the noose. Efforts to paint this as a Smollet situation, or paint him as a Smollet figure, are spurious.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2020, 11:31:03 AM »

Imo it definitely turned into a foul ball. But i don't think it should be faulted at Wallace. He didn't report it. Someone tells me they found a noose in the garage I imagine I'd believe it. After the photo I'd still believe it if I never noticed the rope before, was new to that garage, hadn't been there in months and was on high alert with everything happening.

Definitely foul, but far from a Justin Smollett case.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2020, 11:53:49 AM »
Just to set the record straight, Bubba is not the person who saw the noose or reported the noose. Efforts to paint this as a Smollet situation, or paint him as a Smollet figure, are spurious.
Concur.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2020, 12:10:24 PM »
Marty Smith posts a photo of the noose so that we are all clear:

https://twitter.com/MartySmithESPN/status/1276188868711243777?s=19

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2020, 12:19:10 PM »
TAMU

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2020, 12:21:10 PM »

I'm no expert in knots, but it sure looks like a noose to me.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #118 on: June 25, 2020, 12:28:06 PM »

The only "not admitting of the obvious" is those saying that this is not a noose:

Everyone agrees that Bubba Watson was not the target of a hate crime. The noose predates him being assigned to the garage by months. But it is also true that someone hung a noose in that garage and we don't know what that person's original intent was. Some have said that its a garage door puller but then the NASCAR President said this:

https://twitter.com/MartySmithESPN/status/1276194402302640129?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1276194402302640129&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbssports.com%2Fnascar%2Fnews%2Fnascar-releases-photo-of-rope-fashioned-as-noose-found-in-bubba-wallaces-garage-at-talladega%2F

NASCAR president Steve Phelps says NASCAR conducted a "thorough sweep of all 29 tracks where they race, and 1684 garage stalls, they found only 11 total ropes that had a pulldown rope tied in a knot, and just one noose: The one in Bubba Wallace garage."

Maybe whoever hung this noose truly thought this was best way to set up a garage door pull. Maybe they hung it to intimidate a different person of color who worked in the garage previously. Maybe the hung it because they thought using a symbol of hate as door pull was funny. We don't know. But if this is truly an innocent door pull, I question why only 1 out 1,684 garage stalls use a noose for that purpose
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2020, 01:17:32 PM »

But ... but ... but ... how do we know that's the actual rope in question? Maybe it was photoshopped. Maybe Bubba put it there himself. Anything to put the white man down, as has been the case in America for centuries.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2020, 01:59:39 PM »

Admit what?  I don't think anyone is disputing what you are saying.  The only dispute is some refuse to call it what it was.  It was a noose, but one seemingly not done to intimidate, and clearly not directed at Bubba Wallace.  Lesson learned?  Don't tie garage pulls in the shape of a noose.

Reverend Al still isn’t satisfied that Bubba wasn’t assigned garage #4 (or 14, can’t remember) by racists who knew the garage pull was fashioned as a noose. And until that unprovable can be proven (impossible) he’s not satisfied. I can’t say I’ve seen anyone here make the reverend’s exact argument, but the logic/methodology he uses is sure familiar.

BTW, I’m certainly not referring to you, Pakuni, Tower or anyone else interested in having honest conversations on complex problems.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2020, 02:15:06 PM »
Seems like a leap for sure Lenny.

I don't know, I don't find this to be a nothing situation.

1. Bubba saw a noose...if I were him I would be shocked/worried too
2. Everyone in Nascar rallied around him
3. The federal government immediately investigated and determined it wasnt intentional toward him

None of those things are surprising and i think the steps along the way show positive actions/intent for those involved. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2020, 02:22:07 PM »
That's a unnatural carnal knowledgeing noose.

Was it meant for bubba? No.
Was it meant to intimidate someone? I don't believe so.
Was it some inside joke/someone thought it would be funny? Probably.

But it's a unnatural carnal knowledgeing noose.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2020, 02:26:57 PM »
Reverend Al still isn’t satisfied that Bubba wasn’t assigned garage #4 (or 14, can’t remember) by racists who knew the garage pull was fashioned as a noose. And until that unprovable can be proven (impossible) he’s not satisfied. I can’t say I’ve seen anyone here make the reverend’s exact argument, but the logic/methodology he uses is sure familiar.

BTW, I’m certainly not referring to you, Pakuni, Tower or anyone else interested in having honest conversations on complex problems.

He's still relevant? He's about a legit as the Fox News talking heads who said it isn't a noose, just a "garage pull."
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2020, 02:28:05 PM »

It was a noose. A noose represents racist symbolism. It was hanging in his stall. Noose=bad. Learn the history of American Lynching. This isn’t complex in any way.