[Today at 10:02:26 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] A closer look at Davante Gardner  (Read 2791 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] A closer look at Davante Gardner
« on: May 04, 2010, 03:00:04 PM »
A closer look at Davante Gardner

Had a chance to talk to both Davante Gardner, the Marquette Golden Eagles' latest signee, and Josh Worrell, Gardner's coach at King's Fork High School in Suffolk, Va. on Monday night.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/92797994.html

GGGG

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] A closer look at Davante Gardner
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 03:14:29 PM »
Has Davante qualified academically? "He’s very close. He took the SAT again this past Saturday. Hopefully he gets the score and solves the equation there. He’s doing some stuff, keeping his classes where they’re at in school. If he does that, I think he’ll be fine."

eh....

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 03:20:29 PM »
I like the fact that he shoots 80 percent from the charity stripe.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 03:25:04 PM »
What kind of kid is Davante? "He’s very quiet until he gets to know people. On his visit Coach Collins was like, ‘He just didn’t want to talk to too many people,’ and I was like, ‘Well, he’s kind of quiet until he gets to know you.’ He’s opened up. Every year I’ve had him he’s opened up more, including this year being a senior and trying to be a leader. He has desire to win; he hates losing. He’s only lost four times in the last two years. He’ll do anything to try and win. Our last game we lost in triple overtime, he had 37 points and 20-something rebounds. He’d try to find a way for us not to lose, but you can’t win them all."

Can you talk a litle more about Davante's skills? "He actually can move side-to-side, laterally. He loves handling the basketball, and is very good at that. Coach Williams told him prior, ‘We know what you can do from the three-point line; we want to find out what you can do inside it. If you can do that, you can have a very good career here.’ I think that’s the main thing. Nobody really questions if he can play defense, if he can score, if he can rebound. They want to make sure he can get up and down the floor, because in college the game is much faster paced than a high-school game."

And he shoots 80% from the line? Sounds like a combination of Shaq, the kid from The blind side and novak.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 03:29:06 PM »
Has Davante qualified academically? "He’s very close. He took the SAT again this past Saturday. Hopefully he gets the score and solves the equation there. He’s doing some stuff, keeping his classes where they’re at in school. If he does that, I think he’ll be fine."

eh....

C'mon Sultan, you are better than that.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 03:36:28 PM »
"VCU had been in the mix for a long time. Maryland liked him a lot. Georgetown liked him. Cincinnati came in messing with him"

Lol..love the Cincy description, the others liked him and were interested.  Cincy was messin'.  Makes me feel more confident about Worrell's character.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 03:38:13 PM »
Did he have offers from these schools?
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

LON

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 03:46:26 PM »
"VCU had been in the mix for a long time. Maryland liked him a lot. Georgetown liked him. Cincinnati came in messing with him"

Lol..love the Cincy description, the others liked him and were interested.  Cincy was messin'.  Makes me feel more confident about Worrell's character.

I had a nice little chuckle over that one too...

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 05:20:43 PM »
Come on, you've watched Hoop Dreams.  He will pull it off just like William Gates did.  What was the line in the movie when Gates opened the ACT envelope and smiled," "William received a 15.5, which rounded up to a 16, the minimum needed to play Division I."

Never a doubt, Davante will be here next year!
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 07:33:39 PM »
C'mon Sultan, you are better than that.

Better than what?  He has taken the SAT multiple times and has yet to earn a qualifying score.  I just made a "eh" comment because that worries me.

feedback