[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: JFB: Coaching Differences Between College and NBA  (Read 6303 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: JFB: Coaching Differences Between College and NBA
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2019, 07:42:40 AM »
Other is just style of play and effort

You just prefer watching inferior brands of basketball?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2019, 07:51:03 AM »

NBA is not my cup of tea. Lots of basketball fans feel the same. So?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2019, 08:28:24 AM »

Other levels of basketball are only inferior in terms of skill level of players to the NBA.  But great individual skill alone does not make it an attractive product for many. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2019, 09:16:35 AM »
Other levels of basketball are only inferior in terms of skill level of players to the NBA.  But great individual skill alone does not make it an attractive product for many. 

Just checking to make sure you knew what you were saying. I like college basketball, but by no means is it a 1% better than the NBA product in any aspect.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2019, 09:38:41 AM »
Wags

You need to get your sh1t together. Don't you know that air travel tears a man apart and lays bare his naked soul?

College athlete or pro - no man should be expected to endure the Bataan Death March that is air travel. I read somewhere that Huggins blamed his woeful past season on air travel. In fact, he called the flights from Morgantown to OU and OSU the "Latter Day Trail of Tears."

That way, no man will be asked to subject himself to the horrors of road trips where the cookie tray at the Doubletree might be empty. I have heard of a good man, already greatly inconvenienced by substandard pillows at the Hilton, being denied the simple pleasure of a cheeseburger while on the road because, as I understand it, a tinker or tailor wouldn't let him order room service.

The agony must end, dammit!

My thoughts exactly. Nothing worse that a first class sleeper seat on a charter jet with your choice of dining selections.

Yes and I heard the Ritz Carlton San Francisco barely holds a candle to the Motel 6 along a deserted interstate in Iowa. And the grub? Rumor has it Oprah’s cocker spaniels are fed better.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2019, 09:47:48 AM »
Just checking to make sure you knew what you were saying. I like college basketball, but by no means is it a 1% better than the NBA product in any aspect.
Defensive three second.rule?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2019, 10:00:51 AM »
“Giannis is one of the very few in the league who truly seems to appreciate the spoils of his success and hasn’t forgotten his humble roots. No doubt I’m sure his ego is big too, but he carries himself with extreme class.  To me, he’s the gold standard of how superstar athletes should behave.  I thought Butler had that in him too while at MU.   So it is possible to handle success with grace and class with a big ego, which Butler forever ruined and stained by his exit from Minnesota. “

I’ve met many a people who have risen a few tax brackets who won’t dare wash their d!cks  with the “unwashed” anymore.  Usually the ones with too small a pencil anyways so they overcompensate.  The true good person doesn’t lose his/her bearing and constantly reminds thyself of where they’ve been and truly grateful. 

Jfb ‘ actions(with the exception of his play) don’t speak well of him, but with his new found riches, he has built a wall around himself.  He may very well be grateful, but time will tell who his real friends are.

I believe giannis, being from a very poor country, where our poor are rich by comparison, will maintain his humility
don't...don't don't don't don't

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2019, 10:28:19 AM »
For sure. Phil Jackson wasn’t a great x’s and o’s guy, but he was the right guy for those teams because of his ability to manage egos.

Popovich, too, although I'm sure that having a humble team-leader like Duncan helped. 

I wonder how a guy like Brad Stevens deals with egos.  He comes from the NCAA, and I remember reading that one thing that he hated was recruiting, e.g., sitting on a kid's couch, chatting up the parents, etc.  I wonder if he hates "ego management" even more.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2019, 11:00:11 AM »
True, you do need a level  of ego to rise to the level of success he’s had.  But his behavior to force his way out of Minnesota was pathetic and just serves to lump himself in with the rest of the pompous jerks around the league and professional sports for that matter.  He has a great story, but then like so many, forgets where he came from and just ends up being another self-indulgent jacka$$. 

Giannis is one of the very few in the league who truly seems to appreciate the spoils of his success and hasn’t forgotten his humble roots. No doubt I’m sure his ego is big too, but he carries himself with extreme class.  To me, he’s the gold standard of how superstar athletes should behave.  I thought Butler had that in him too while at MU.   So it is possible to handle success with grace and class with a big ego, which Butler forever ruined and stained by his exit from Minnesota.

Butler never asked to be on Minnesota, and he deferred to their young stars Wiggins and Towns the first 20ish games last year. As one of the most intelligent/efficient basketball winners in the game right now, it had to drive him absolutely insane to watch Wiggins jack up contested 20 footers off the dribble with impunity while Towns got tossed around in the post on D and loafed to cover the perimeter.

As soon as Jimmy said eff that and started asserting himself, the Wolves were in position to get the 3 seed in the West before he got hurt. Massive, massive difference. If Thibs was smart, he would have fire sold Wiggins in the off-season and tried to get 85 cents on the dollar for Towns then told Jimmy the team is his. Since it was gonna be more of the same, Jimmy let them know he was not going to re-sign with them and advised that he be traded. Jimmy's window is closing in a couple years, can't waste another year with Wiggins and Towns. Then Thibs played hardball and got owned. No hard feelings, those guys have a deep understanding of each other and how they operate.

Now the narrative is that Jimmy is an egomaniac, when in reality he wants to win and couldn't stand being around losers like Wiggins for one of the few years of his prime. On the Sixers he plays well within the confines of the system and makes winning plays. He was put in a situation where he was surrounded by winners and now you don't hear from him.

He has a chance to make a deep run this year, it would be great if our alum supported him along the way.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2019, 11:07:12 AM »
I believe giannis, being from a very poor country, where our poor are rich by comparison, will maintain his humility

Greece?  I mean Greece has its issues but I'd never call it "very poor" or where the poor of the US would be living large.  You realize he didn't spend any of his youth in Nigeria?

I like Giannis and I think he has his head on straight, but he didn't grow up playing basketball with rolled up socks in a village.  His socioeconomic start isn't wildly different than many NBA stars who grew up in housing projects or the like.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2019, 11:14:11 AM »
Butler never asked to be on Minnesota, and he deferred to their young stars Wiggins and Towns the first 20ish games last year. As one of the most intelligent/efficient basketball winners in the game right now, it had to drive him absolutely insane to watch Wiggins jack up contested 20 footers off the dribble with impunity while Towns got tossed around in the post on D and loafed to cover the perimeter.

As soon as Jimmy said eff that and started asserting himself, the Wolves were in position to get the 3 seed in the West before he got hurt. Massive, massive difference. If Thibs was smart, he would have fire sold Wiggins in the off-season and tried to get 85 cents on the dollar for Towns then told Jimmy the team is his. Since it was gonna be more of the same, Jimmy let them know he was not going to re-sign with them and advised that he be traded. Jimmy's window is closing in a couple years, can't waste another year with Wiggins and Towns. Then Thibs played hardball and got owned. No hard feelings, those guys have a deep understanding of each other and how they operate.

Now the narrative is that Jimmy is an egomaniac, when in reality he wants to win and couldn't stand being around losers like Wiggins for one of the few years of his prime. On the Sixers he plays well within the confines of the system and makes winning plays. He was put in a situation where he was surrounded by winners and now you don't hear from him.

He has a chance to make a deep run this year, it would be great if our alum supported him along the way.

What exactly have Butler or "the winners" that surround him in Philly won?

Butler didn't ask to be in Minnesota...yet, just like he forced his way out of Minnesota, he forced his way out of Chicago.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2019, 11:20:33 AM »

Butler didn't ask to be in Minnesota...yet, just like he forced his way out of Minnesota, he forced his way out of Chicago.

Exactly.  The way he handled the situation was acting like a petulant child.

We don't hear from him now as EFR states, yes, because when petulant behavior gets their way, they are quiet...until they're unhappy about something again.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2019, 11:21:57 AM »
Wags

You need to get your sh1t together. Don't you know that air travel tears a man apart and lays bare his naked soul?

College athlete or pro - no man should be expected to endure the Bataan Death March that is air travel. I read somewhere that Huggins blamed his woeful past season on air travel. In fact, he called the flights from Morgantown to OU and OSU the "Latter Day Trail of Tears."

I think what is needed is a dramatic solution to end the carnage: Have every play nothing but home games.   

That way, no man will be asked to subject himself to the horrors of road trips where the cookie tray at the Doubletree might be empty. I have heard of a good man, already greatly inconvenienced by substandard pillows at the Hilton, being denied the simple pleasure of a cheeseburger while on the road because, as I understand it, a tinker or tailor wouldn't let him order room service.

The agony must end, dammit!

Posts about how soft college kids are because they don't want to fly from Spokane to NYC a couple times a year (when they can simply play 4-5 tough non-con gams, win 2-3 of them, play the rest of their season along the West Coast, lose a max of 1 conference regular season/tournament game the rest of the way, and get a 1 seed out West every year).

Then immediately goes and creates a topic asking the mods to take down the scoreboard.

I love Scoop.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2019, 11:48:18 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jimmy-butler-minnesota-timberwolves-76ers-return-032536469.html

While we're on JFB, he says he might join in the booing of himself when he makes a return to Minny.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2019, 06:27:44 PM »
Greece?  I mean Greece has its issues but I'd never call it "very poor" or where the poor of the US would be living large.  You realize he didn't spend any of his youth in Nigeria?

I like Giannis and I think he has his head on straight, but he didn't grow up playing basketball with rolled up socks in a village.  His socioeconomic start isn't wildly different than many NBA stars who grew up in housing projects or the like.

You know his story, right?

Parents were”undocumented immigrants” in Greece and giannis as well.  Sold sunglasses and dvd’s To help the family. 
  “He remembers his parents struggling very hard to make ends meet and support a family of eight. On most days, he and his older brother, Thanasis would report for practice on a near empty stomach, in a field close to the modest neighborhood of Sepolia where the family lived.”

35% poverty rate,  U.S. 13.5%

Unemployment rate-18%

Debt rate is 170% of gdp,  U.S.-104%

Greece kids 15-25 unemployment-50% , U.S.-8%

Wags, I do not post these things to chide, but actually to inform myself as well.  Greece is a pretty troubled and stressed country.  I do believe if I were poor, I’d rather be here than Greece or any other country for that matter.  My point is, I believe these factors will lead giannis to hold onto his humility longer, if not forever as a comparison to the jfb’s of the world. I believe the tightness of the family is a big factor-jfb’s father left him at an early age.  Giannis father did leave them as well, but (RIP mr. giannis) due to a very tragic and sudden heart attack about 1 1/2 years ago at the age of 54. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

jpvegas

• Walk-On
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2019, 06:49:20 PM »
Heard an interview with Kevin O'Neil and he said he prefers coaching in NBA, to coaching in college at this time.  In the pros you're coaching people that have made it and are trying to get better to extend their brand.  In college you're coaching some guys that have no chance of reaching the NBA, but think they should be the star so that they can make it.  Towards the end of his coaching run he was brutally honest with recruits and their parents.  When one player's father asked what he would have to do, to get the player into the NBA.  Kevin told him to forget the NBA, work hard and get his degree, the player was lucky that he's even offering him a scholarship for college.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2019, 11:34:43 AM »
JFB has "You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain." written on his shoes.  Announcers play 'you're so vain' as he comes out

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/03/30/about-last-night-3-29-19

feedback