collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Protests  (Read 76301 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Protests
« Reply #750 on: June 10, 2020, 11:49:27 AM »
Outside of international championship events like the World Cup or the Olympics, what is the point of flying national flags at sporting events anyway? They shouldn’t be there in the first place.

I'd agree but the NHL and NBA have Canadian teams.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #751 on: June 10, 2020, 12:51:45 PM »
I'd agree but the NHL and NBA have Canadian teams.

Why does that matter?  Those teams aren't representing the country. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #752 on: June 10, 2020, 01:12:13 PM »
Why does that matter?  Those teams aren't representing the country.

Yeah I suppose you're right. Should probs take away the national anthem to since again there's no reason to do it for multinational pro sports teams that don't represent the country.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #753 on: June 10, 2020, 01:13:30 PM »
The World Cup and the Olympics are worldwide championship events where participants play on national teams or represent their countries in individual sports. The NHL, NBA, MLB, etc., are not. Frankly I don’t really understand why we sing national anthems before sporting events either.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #754 on: June 10, 2020, 01:17:43 PM »
The World Cup and the Olympics are worldwide championship events where participants play on national teams or represent their countries in individual sports. The NHL, NBA, MLB, etc., are not. Frankly I don’t really understand why we sing national anthems before sporting events either.

The same reason we fly fighter jets.

Nationalism.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #755 on: June 10, 2020, 01:41:27 PM »
The same reason we fly fighter jets.

Nationalism.

Same reason North Korea we have big military parades showing off tanks and the like
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #756 on: June 10, 2020, 03:45:58 PM »
At this point there is zero difference between flying a Nazi flag or Swastika in Germany and flying any version of Confederate flags. Those things were flown by horrific regimes that committed atrocities. They represent nothing but hate and oppression

Note, I believe this standard should apply to symbols items that are directly tied to hate and/or atrocities. A symbol like the Join or Die, Betsy Ross, and Gadsden Flags might have in some places been co-opted by organizations that espouse hate but the symbols themselves don't originate in hate nor have a hateful connotation outside of modern application.

Put another way, if you have to come up with a statement that says "yes but it means something different now" it's out. If the statement is "originally it meant something positive" then it's allowed.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #757 on: June 10, 2020, 03:53:41 PM »
Put another way, if you have to come up with a statement that says "yes but it means something different now" it's out. If the statement is "originally it meant something positive" then it's allowed.

Except if it is was positive hindu symbol?

I generally agree with you, but I think it's not easy and needs to be case by case based on how horrific the group or statement behind the co opted positive symbol.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #758 on: June 10, 2020, 03:59:39 PM »
Except if it is was positive hindu symbol?

I generally agree with you, but I think it's not easy and needs to be case by case based on how horrific the group or statement behind the co opted positive symbol.

That's why I had the Germany modifier. If a swastika appears in India (I've been in hotel elevators there with the original symbol mosaic'd in the walls) then it's in it's original context and therefore an acceptable "usage".

Let's pretend the Confederate Battle Flag somehow got transported to Australia and was used by the aborigines as a symbol of their unity or struggle for equality....in that context the symbol is a-ok because it originated in that context as a positive symbol, fly it in the US and you should probably be labeled a racist.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #759 on: June 10, 2020, 04:03:33 PM »
Related .... NASCAR has officially banned the display of the Confederate flag at any of its events or properties.
Good for them.
There was a time when displaying that flag could have been seen as misguided, but benevolent. That time is past. Anyone doing it today is doing it to be antagonistic.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #760 on: June 10, 2020, 04:03:47 PM »
At this point there is zero difference between flying a Nazi flag or Swastika in Germany and flying any version of Confederate flags. Those things were flown by horrific regimes that committed atrocities. They represent nothing but hate and oppression

Note, I believe this standard should apply to symbols items that are directly tied to hate and/or atrocities. A symbol like the Join or Die, Betsy Ross, and Gadsden Flags might have in some places been co-opted by organizations that espouse hate but the symbols themselves don't originate in hate nor have a hateful connotation outside of modern application.

Very well stated, eng.

The claims that some symbols went from inherently bad to somehow good or neutral is a classic example of trying to put lipstick on a pig.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #761 on: June 10, 2020, 04:23:07 PM »
That's why I had the Germany modifier. If a swastika appears in India (I've been in hotel elevators there with the original symbol mosaic'd in the walls) then it's in it's original context and therefore an acceptable "usage".

Let's pretend the Confederate Battle Flag somehow got transported to Australia and was used by the aborigines as a symbol of their unity or struggle for equality....in that context the symbol is a-ok because it originated in that context as a positive symbol, fly it in the US and you should probably be labeled a racist.

I've actually seen the original swastika symbol in Germany.  The Roman-Germanic Museum in Cologne has original Roman construction where they are built in.
Weird to see.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #763 on: June 10, 2020, 05:15:30 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/us/brevard-county-florida-police-union-misconduct-trnd/index.html?fbclid=IwAR0uGwbKTB5t5C8xXf4wZR7uZhK2oWMi8HaSV6zwKRlvEakv6NSn4hBkhCw

"Lower taxes, no spineless leadership, or dumb mayors rambling on at press conferences... Plus... we got your back!"

Sounds like the motto for what has been cops' battle cry for centuries, especially the last sentence.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #764 on: June 10, 2020, 06:23:43 PM »
It is being reported that the White House is currently preparing a speech on race relations. And it is being crafted by...wait for it...Stephen Miller.

https://twitter.com/AprilDRyan/status/1270433974934999041?s=19

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2019/11/12/stephen-millers-affinity-white-nationalism-revealed-leaked-emails

Let's check in and see how this is going so far:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1270787974880526337?s=19

He's headed to Tulsa, OK on Juneteenth day which is a day recognized for the end of slavery, near the anniversary of one of the country's most historical racist incidents in Tulsa.

https://www.history.com/.amp/topics/roaring-twenties/tulsa-race-massacre?__twitter_impression=true

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #765 on: June 10, 2020, 07:02:49 PM »
I dont know any republicans that support the KKK, but it that is your myopic world view, i suggest you get out more. 

And i know, OMB.   ::)
Meet the Tennessee Republican State Legislature

Tennessee Republicans Rally To Preserve Statue & Holiday For KKK Founder

Republican lawmakers in Tennessee resisted a push from protesters and their Democratic colleagues to eliminate a holiday for Confederate general and KKK Founder Nathan Bedford Forrest and remove a bust of him from the State Capitol, which one black lawmaker compared to a bust of Hitler.

Republican lawmakers also voted Wednesday to preserve Nathan Bedford Forrest Day while relieving Lee of the burden of making a public proclamation, which he has been criticized for in the past.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2020/06/10/tennessee-republicans-rally-to-preserve-statue--holiday-for-kkk-founder/#5ef1aa6d71f7
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 07:10:18 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #766 on: June 10, 2020, 07:27:30 PM »
Eye'm all four knot playin' the national anthem prior two sportin' events. Pretty sure the gladiators can preform witout hearin' da Star Spangled Banner befour headin' out ta war, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #767 on: June 10, 2020, 09:10:07 PM »
https://www.tmz.com/2020/06/10/wisconsin-gym-anytime-fitness-i-cant-breathe-workout-sign-apology/

Honestly how stupid are people? I mean, even if you are somehow ignorant and dumb enough to think making light of this is okay and/or motivating and/or funny, how are you not smart enough to think, “Hey, maybe this isn’t exactly the time for this?” How insensitive and distasteful do you have to be?

And that’s not even getting into the “explanation.” You wanted to make a workout so hard that you feel what George Floyd felt? What? A workout to suffocate the life out of you with someone kneeling on your neck?

Oh and of course you’re sorry that others are offended. Because it’s they’re fault, not yours.

Attitudes like this are why we are where we are in this country. It’s why George Floyd felt what you apparently somehow wanted your customers to feel.

Honestly dumbfounded by the stupidity of people.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 09:15:55 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #768 on: June 10, 2020, 09:12:23 PM »
https://www.tmz.com/2020/06/10/wisconsin-gym-anytime-fitness-i-cant-breathe-workout-sign-apology/

Honestly how stupid are people? I mean, even if you are somehow ignorant and dumb enough to think making light of this is okay and/or motivating and/or funny, how are you not smart enough to think, “Hey, maybe this isn’t exactly the time for this?” How insensitive and distasteful do you have to be?

And that’s not even getting into the “explanation.” You wanted to make a workout so hard that you feel what George Floyd felt? What? A workout to suffocate the life out of you with someone kneeling on your neck?

Oh and of course you’re sorry that others are offended. Because it’s they’re fault, not yours.

Attitudes like this is why we are where we are in this country. It’s why George Floyd felt what you apparently somehow wanted your customers to feel.

Honestly dumbfounded by the stupidity of people.

Racists are never concerned about being perceived as stupid.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #769 on: June 10, 2020, 09:50:00 PM »
Wow - you can’t fake that kind of appalling.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #770 on: June 11, 2020, 08:36:23 AM »
Maybe I am naive or not understanding something, but it seems to me that Trump supporting the renaming of bases named after Confederate generals would be a VERY easy win for him.  It's not going to prevent any of his supporters for voting for him, and can show people on the fence that he is trying to do something substantive.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #771 on: June 11, 2020, 08:44:41 AM »
Maybe I am naive or not understanding something, but it seems to me that Trump supporting the renaming of bases named after Confederate generals would be a VERY easy win for him.  It's not going to prevent any of his supporters for voting for him, and can show people on the fence that he is trying to do something substantive.

Under any normal circumstances, a President changing this sort of thing would be a layup.  Trump shoots from half court though.  Sure, sometimes it goes in, but usually its an air ball.

Naming them after generals who fought and won major battles for the US makes sense.  Hell, even naming them after former presidents makes more sense... not to mention he could hope that someday one would be named after himself. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #772 on: June 11, 2020, 08:50:29 AM »
And speaking of generals ...

Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the highest ranking officer in the U.S. Armed Forces, apologized today for taking part in Trump's photo-op walk last week.

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1271073791817461760?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

"I should not have been there. My presence in that moment and in that environment created a perception of the military involved in domestic politics. As a commissioned uniformed officer, it was a mistake that I have learned from, and I sincerely hope we all can learn from it."

Milley and Defense Secretary Mark Esper are among the many current and former Pentagon officials trying to distance themselves from Trump's worst inclinations and actions. They also were two officials who said they would have been open to renaming military bases current named after traitors.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #773 on: June 11, 2020, 08:53:41 AM »

Because he hates looking weak, soft, not tough, etc....when in the unhealthy aspects of his personality type definition. When healthier, his personality type is more of a magnanimous person. He of course rarely if ever performs in his healthier levels.

In addition to that, by definition, add the narcissistic component which is to always seek social admiration from select people or groups, not just anyone. He has a fear of upsetting the cult group think tribalists in his base.

He personally has no empathy by narcissistic definition, so he is personally completely indifferent to the topic. Narcissism also explains the inability to have empathy by definition. So getting peer social admiration, and not looking weak are his initial primary motivations here.

For example he is still tweeting and talking about the bunker. The optics of looking weak and soft are devastating for him. Same guy who said he didn't like soldiers who were captured.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 08:55:33 AM by shoothoops »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #774 on: June 11, 2020, 09:01:52 AM »
Let's check in and see how this is going so far:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1270787974880526337?s=19

He's headed to Tulsa, OK on Juneteenth day which is a day recognized for the end of slavery, near the anniversary of one of the country's most historical racist incidents in Tulsa.

https://www.history.com/.amp/topics/roaring-twenties/tulsa-race-massacre?__twitter_impression=true

One of the hundreds of things that should’ve been the end to Donald Trump but somehow the brainwashed MAGAs will get all fired up about patriotism and ‘Merica with this.

Pretty disgusting.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter