collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Protests  (Read 76342 times)

Elonsmusk

• All American
Re: Protests
« Reply #725 on: June 09, 2020, 06:35:04 PM »
I don't have a "take" on black-on-black crime. Crime is bad. Crime should be prevented. Criminals should face consequences. This goes for all crime and all perpetrators. Do you have separate takes on black-on-black crime vs white-on-white crime?

Marches, rallies and protests regarding violent crime in black communities happen often in Chicago. You don't know this because you don't actually care about crime in black communities. You just use it as a talking point.
But you're in idiot if you can't understand why a police officer murdering a citizen draws more attention and outrage than one gang member killing another.

Your numbers are worthless when taken out of context, as they always seem to be. Studies have shown time and again that people become criminals based primarily on socioeconomic circumstances, such as poverty, poor education, exposure to violence, family structure and exposure to trauma. Because of centuries of systemic oppression, black Americans find themselves disproportionately living within those circumstances. Thus black Americans commit a disproportionate amount of crime.
Maybe you should ponder that.

Lastly, we've had a mostly reasonable and productive discussion here lately. Please don't get another thread locked with your rants.

Pondered.  What are your thoughts on BLM's What We Believe:
https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/

We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.

Call me crazy, but there seems to be a strong correlation between a two parent household, and traditional nuclear family structure that correlates with better life outcomes, less poverty, and in turn less propensity toward criminality. 

No doubt I'm breaking out my checkbook to donate to BLM so some kid can be raised by the village in the inner city.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #726 on: June 09, 2020, 06:40:41 PM »

We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.

Call me crazy, but there seems to be a strong correlation between a two parent household, and traditional nuclear family structure that correlates with better life outcomes, less poverty, and in turn less propensity toward criminality. 

No doubt I'm breaking out my checkbook to donate to BLM so some kid can be raised by the village in the inner city.

They make for good basketball players.  Too bad Marquette no longer welcomes kids from "the hood."

Moron.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #728 on: June 09, 2020, 07:41:13 PM »
https://www.phillymag.com/news/2020/06/08/joseph-bologna-philly-cop-charged/

Wtf

I've seen so many videos recently of his various police brutality, incidents, I've lost count.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #729 on: June 09, 2020, 08:07:03 PM »
Door Bell Cam!!!

If not for someone's door bell camera, this police detective may have gotten away with.....intentionally running over an unarmed man and then getting out of his car and beating him while he was on the ground from being hit by the car.  First cell phone cameras, now doorbell cameras, whatever it takes.

Protests make a difference. When the video went public, the general public started peacefully protesting nightly in front of the mayor's house as well as the Florissant Police Department. The media then started covering it. .....Now the detective is suspended. Special Prosecutor, Department of Justice and FBI investigating. Criminal charges likely. Nightly peaceful protests continue until more action is taken.

https://www.ksdk.com/amp/article/news/investigations/i-team-florissant-officer-in-viral-video-was-previously-accused-in-deadly-shooting-violent-beating-incidents/63-e52dfde9-637f-4f46-b37d-ce0b2e93ec4e?__twitter_impression=true

Florissant is located 3 miles from Ferguson.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #730 on: June 09, 2020, 08:21:15 PM »
https://www.phillymag.com/news/2020/06/08/joseph-bologna-philly-cop-charged/

Wtf

This is not the case of one bad cop. It is a corrupt police force. No cop speaking out about the incident. Hundreds, even thousands of Philly cops need to be fired.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #731 on: June 09, 2020, 08:48:18 PM »
And replaced with whom?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #732 on: June 09, 2020, 08:55:20 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CBBFoSZJ76I/?igshid=bxdevu5o0m9p

So yes, this is “our” problem. This is the problem “we” created for “them.” And it’s just compounded on itself since it became outlawed. “We” can give “them” an equal chance to get things like home loans so they can get out of “the hood.”
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #733 on: June 09, 2020, 09:08:40 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CBBFoSZJ76I/?igshid=bxdevu5o0m9p

So yes, this is “our” problem. This is the problem “we” created for “them.” And it’s just compounded on itself since it became outlawed. “We” can give “them” an equal chance to get things like home loans so they can get out of “the hood.”

Pathetic white guilt

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #734 on: June 09, 2020, 09:18:02 PM »

First, two parent household and "traditional nuclear structure" are not synonymous.
That said, it's well-established kids do better when raised with more than one adult family member in the home. That could opposite-sex parents, same-sex parents, a father and a grandmother, a mother and an aunt, etc. Multiple adult family members typically translates into better financial support, more emotional support, more educational support, etc.
This is especially true in our country, where our safety net and level of social support sucks compared with most Western industrial countries. Other countries with comparatively high rates of single-parent households - Denmark, the UK, the Baltics, France, etc., don't have nearly our crime problems.

Shockingly, I don't have to believe every tenet espoused by BLM to believe policing in this country, especially in minority communities, is deeply flawed and unjust.
And, like your faux concern about "black-on-black" crime, your raising this only as a distraction, not because you actually care.

So when are you going to explain to use the difference between black on black crime and other crime?
And why don't you tell us why you seem to believe black people are inherently more violent.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #735 on: June 09, 2020, 09:32:53 PM »
Why yes, it is the left that are simpletons

tell me more smith.  you know nothing about this guy, yet hold this up to illustrate what?  this is how you view what appears to be a peace loving, happy guy.  i sure as hell would rather have this guy on my side than any of those angry thugs who were burning down businesses, beating up innocent people, killing cops, holding our cities hostage.  it is going to take years to recover from this in more ways than one.  and solved nothing 
don't...don't don't don't don't

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #736 on: June 09, 2020, 09:40:06 PM »
  tell me more smith.  you know nothing about this guy, yet hold this up to illustrate what?  this is how you view what appears to be a peace loving, happy guy.  i sure as hell would rather have this guy on my side than any of those angry thugs who were burning down businesses, beating up innocent people, killing cops, holding our cities hostage.  it is going to take years to recover from this in more ways than one.  and solved nothing

The guy is waving the flag of a treasonous movement that was borne from the desire to enslave fellow humans and that started a bloody war to preserve jt.
I'd say that tells us plenty about him.
What does it say about you that you consider him a peace loving happy guy?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #737 on: June 09, 2020, 09:44:33 PM »
The guy is waving the flag of a treasonous movement that was borne from the desire to enslave fellow humans and that started a bloody war to preserve jt.
I'd say that tells us plenty about him.
What does it say about you that you consider him a peace loving happy guy?

where is the context of all that pak man?  all i see is what i see.  if that is in fact the narrative, i stand corrected, but no where is that apparent here

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #738 on: June 09, 2020, 09:45:29 PM »
now that the smoke is clearing, the damage control begins-

enough with the videos, how about some audio-

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/chicago-aldermen-grill-mayor-lightfoot-over-refusal-to-deploy-national-guard-widely/

who do these mayors really stand up for? 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #739 on: June 09, 2020, 09:52:52 PM »
  where is the context of all that pak man?  all i see is what i see.  if that is in fact the narrative, i stand corrected, but no where is that apparent here

He's waving a Confederate battle flag. You know, the one just banned by the US Navy and Marine Corps because of what it stands for.
Is there a context these days in which the battle flag of a movement that launched a war on the United States of America is a symbol of peace and happiness?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #740 on: June 09, 2020, 10:00:58 PM »
Take a weekend away from scoop and returned to quite the roller coaster ride.

How 'bout them Covid protests tho?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #741 on: June 09, 2020, 10:11:51 PM »
And replaced with whom?

So, stay with the status quo?

I do know that is not what you are saying, Tower, but measures need to be taken to stop the systematic racism that infects police departments.

Follow the Camden example. Excessive force complaints against cops have gone down 95% since they defunded police 7 years ago. Violent crimes down over 40 %. Drastic measures that produced drastic results.

Not a cure-all, and each city is different, but a step in the right direction.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #742 on: June 10, 2020, 07:08:41 AM »
You want the Confederate flag waving guy on your side...

Because of course you do.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #743 on: June 10, 2020, 07:55:55 AM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/pope-sends-strong-message-us-065655151.html

For those who are still Catholic, the pope views BLM as equally important as abortion.   

I feel happy about this.   Often over the years, I have posted various versions of Catholic social teaching.     Anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, yes.    But also pro environment, anti unfettered capitalism, pro worker,  anti racism.       Mr. Gugino in Buffalo, before his skull was fractured, had a long history of working for social justice.    Housing for the poor, fair employment standards, anti racism.   To accuse him of possibly being part of ANTIFA?     Every time I think the nadir has been reached, I am proven wrong. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 09:10:47 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #744 on: June 10, 2020, 08:18:13 AM »

Where do you draw the line, rocket?

If the flag had a big swastika on it, would that "peace loving, happy guy" be somebody you still want on your side? How about if the flag had an image of a noose and shackles?

Is it really impossible for you to comprehend that for many (probably a significant majority of) black folks, a confederate flag IS like those other symbols I mentioned?

Sure, it's not as graphic, but it's every bit the hateful reminder of a time when black people were treated like property to be bought, sold, enslaved, beaten, starved, raped and murdered.

Is it really impossible for you to see that, rocket?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #745 on: June 10, 2020, 08:18:46 AM »

So what are going to do about it then?  You admit there is a problem to be solved, but you don't seem terribly interested in fixing it.  Just defending a guy waving a flag representing a rebellious movement to retain the ability to enslave others.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #746 on: June 10, 2020, 08:23:09 AM »

So what are going to do about it then?  You admit there is a problem to be solved, but you don't seem terribly interested in fixing it.  Just defending a guy waving a flag representing a rebellious movement to retain the ability to enslave others.

Rocket is the 'good cop' that stands behind the 'bad cop'.

Defending racism makes you a racist.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #747 on: June 10, 2020, 09:21:48 AM »
Charlotte Observer columnist's piece today is headlined: NASCAR, it’s time for the Confederate flag to go. No exceptions. No excuses. No more.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/scott-fowler/article243415576.html?

Bubba Wallace is right.

It’s time — past time, actually — for the Confederate flag to be completely banned from all NASCAR tracks. Period. No exceptions. If you try to bring one inside a track, you forfeit the right to get inside the doors.

Wallace — the lone black driver in NASCAR’s top series — said on CNN on Monday night about Confederate flags: “No one should feel uncomfortable when they come to a NASCAR race. So it starts with Confederate flags. Get them out of here.”

Can't argue. There is not one solitary reason why confederate flags should be allowed in an American sporting event, any more than somebody should be allowed to enter an event naked.

You don't like your "freedom" to wave a confederate flag being infringed upon? Cool. Go someplace they're allowed. You don't like your "freedom" to enter a sports facility with no clothes on being infringed upon? Cool. Go someplace where you can.

It couldn't be more simple.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #748 on: June 10, 2020, 11:42:20 AM »
He'll be out of the sport soon for saying this. To many in the south, the confederate flag is more important than the American flag.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #749 on: June 10, 2020, 11:47:47 AM »
Outside of international championship events like the World Cup or the Olympics, what is the point of flying national flags at sporting events anyway? They shouldn’t be there in the first place.