collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Protests  (Read 76320 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: Protests
« Reply #400 on: June 04, 2020, 01:32:31 PM »
This has been happening informally since WWII under the Surplus Property Act, and was formalized as the "1033 Program" during the Clinton Administration.
The Obama Administration placed limits on it after the riots in Ferguson and Baltimore, banning the sale of tracked armored vehicles, bayonets, grenade launchers, camouflage uniforms and large-caliber weapons and ammunition to police.
The Trump Administation has since overturned those limitations.
Well you see, it is bad that Obama did that, but it is Ok that Trump made it worse because: Tax Cuts.

Or so I've heard.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #401 on: June 04, 2020, 01:33:14 PM »

Not going to totally disgree....I just think meaningful change can happen with or without the feds, but meaningful change can't happen only with the feds

Perhaps...but some of the most difficult changes require both. Look at the civil rights movement in the 60s. Some states took actions, but there were holdouts that required the federal government to intervene.

I agree with you that change is more likely if it starts locally - a few cities, then maybe entire states changing their policing policies. But I still fear there will be holdouts that require the federal government to step in and standardize that will (by then) have become generally accepted practices in a significant part of the country.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #402 on: June 04, 2020, 01:42:19 PM »

Perhaps...but some of the most difficult changes require both. Look at the civil rights movement in the 60s. Some states took actions, but there were holdouts that required the federal government to intervene.

I agree with you that change is more likely if it starts locally - a few cities, then maybe entire states changing their policing policies. But I still fear there will be holdouts that require the federal government to step in and standardize that will (by then) have become generally accepted practices in a significant part of the country.

I think this is right. Change can occur locally, but if we're seeking a widespread societal/cultural change, it's going to take some federal leadership.
I may be wrong here, but at the moment I can't think of any significant cultural change in this country's history - whether it be abolition, civil rights, women's suffrage, the labor movement or even our views on the environment - that didn't involve federal intervention and/or legislation.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #403 on: June 04, 2020, 01:51:24 PM »

I may be wrong here, but at the moment I can't think of any significant cultural change in this country's history - whether it be abolition, civil rights, women's suffrage, the labor movement or even our views on the environment - that didn't involve federal intervention and/or legislation.

You are correct. but,... none of these changes started at the federal level - it is just where they ended up with legislation.

Every movement you listed started at the bottom and worked its way to the Federal level.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #404 on: June 04, 2020, 01:57:18 PM »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #405 on: June 04, 2020, 03:32:13 PM »
You are correct. but,... none of these changes started at the federal level - it is just where they ended up with legislation.

Every movement you listed started at the bottom and worked its way to the Federal level.

Agreed, look at gay marriage. Enough states legalized it that it became problematic at the federal level and change came. The federal apparatus, by design does not move fast nor does it impact our lives at this kind of level.

Everyone's logic is to go federal and solve all of this is one action but it just practically doesn't work that way.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #406 on: June 04, 2020, 03:40:43 PM »
Everyone's logic is to go federal and solve all of this is one action but it just practically doesn't work that way.

Is that everyone's logic?
Seems like we're mostly in agreement here. Movements start local, but for widespread change, need federal involvement.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #407 on: June 04, 2020, 03:42:19 PM »
I think we are all essentially on the same page here. Significant, lasting change needs to start at the local and state level, with the federal government getting involved to address inequities after the changes become a generally accepted part of our culture.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #408 on: June 04, 2020, 03:54:14 PM »
Is that everyone's logic?
Seems like we're mostly in agreement here. Movements start local, but for widespread change, need federal involvement.

Everyone, as in people who aren't so enlightened to habitually visit this board.  ;D
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #409 on: June 04, 2020, 04:01:25 PM »
Everyone, as in people who aren't so enlightened to habitually visit this board.  ;D

Fair point.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #410 on: June 04, 2020, 05:25:25 PM »

Enlightenment scale:

Scoopers >>>> The rest of humanity.  ;)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #411 on: June 04, 2020, 06:36:45 PM »
Hard to defend or explain this.

@ericuman: The U.S. Park Police union just said those Australian journalists in Lafayette Park were "in the middle of violent protesters" and "may have fallen."

https://twitter.com/RSprouseNews/status/1268659957328732163

Here's the reality. https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1267764344118562816
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 06:39:06 PM by Pakuni »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #412 on: June 04, 2020, 06:38:56 PM »
@ericuman: The U.S. Park Police union just said those Australian journalists in Lafayette Park were "in the middle of violent protesters" and "may have fallen."

Wow. Don’t believe what you just saw, eh?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #413 on: June 04, 2020, 07:40:31 PM »
‘Strategic’ well-orchestrated heists seen amid protest chaos

https://apnews.com/86bcd9074dec5444cc8f484ac6623fbf

Caravans of burglars have capitalized on chaos, communicating with each other via messaging apps during heists and using both the protests and other tactics to throw police off their trail. While opportunists have sometimes joined the frenzy, police and experts say there is a sophistication that suggests a level of planning that goes beyond spontaneous acts.

It’s hardly the first time legitimate protest has been used as a cover for crime. But crime experts note the scale of the thefts, which have taken place coast-to-coast, in big and small cities and in suburbs.

“I’ve been a student of these things. And I have never seen anything like it,” said Neil Sullivan, a nationally recognized expert on mass-events security and retired Chicago Police Department commander.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #414 on: June 04, 2020, 08:00:02 PM »
That video of the park police and the Australian journalists reminds me of the CNN crew that was arrested while broadcasting live, and the explanation from the state police was that they were arrested and released once it was determined that they were press.
Seriously, how can they issue a statement that they may have fallen with a straight face?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #415 on: June 04, 2020, 08:07:07 PM »
I tend to agree - if for no other reason than that we have seen real change before and know where it comes from.

Real change comes from the bottom up, not from the top down. Politicians generally didn't give a rat's a$$ about gay rights until enough people at the bottom demanded change.

100% agree, Jockey.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #416 on: June 04, 2020, 09:18:44 PM »

Wow. Don’t believe what you just saw, eh?

Meh. The cops were just using their shields to "inspect" the journalists' cameras.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #417 on: June 04, 2020, 11:04:18 PM »
Hard to defend or explain this.

Seems kind of like this elderly man, who just "tripped and fell" in front of Buffalo police, leaving him with a fractured skull and bleeding from the ear.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/501279-elderly-man-appears-unconscious-bleeding-from-ear-after-shoved-to-ground

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #418 on: June 04, 2020, 11:18:15 PM »
Cops wail away on woman who doesn't take kindly to being felt up.
Dear bad police officers ... there are cameras on you. All. The. Time.

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1268391718086422528/video/1

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #419 on: June 04, 2020, 11:21:14 PM »
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #420 on: June 04, 2020, 11:25:51 PM »
Seems kind of like this elderly man, who just "tripped and fell" in front of Buffalo police, leaving him with a fractured skull and bleeding from the ear.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/501279-elderly-man-appears-unconscious-bleeding-from-ear-after-shoved-to-ground

Let me piss off a few people here. This video is why cops get called pigs.

Peaceful Americans are being assaulted by these animals all over America tonight.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #421 on: June 04, 2020, 11:27:30 PM »
Let me piss off a few people here. This video is why cops get called pigs.

Peaceful Americans are being assaulted by these animals all over America tonight.

Led by the Bunker Boy himself.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #422 on: June 05, 2020, 07:49:42 AM »
Jim Mattis lost my respect with the Theranos scandal. 

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/8/31/20839873/james-mattis-book-theranos

Just out of curiosity.  Which politicians do you revere?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #423 on: June 05, 2020, 08:02:47 AM »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #424 on: June 05, 2020, 08:25:41 AM »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback