collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Protests  (Read 76396 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Protests
« Reply #350 on: June 03, 2020, 06:14:26 PM »
This is a good list, and a lot of these policies do exist at a lot of departments ... specifically a ban on chokeholds, the duty to intervene and use-of-force continuum.
The bigger problem isn't so much the existence of such polices, but the training and enforcement of them. Eric Garner, for example, was killed by a chokehold maneuver that had been banned by the NYPD more than 20 years earlier. Yet NYPD records showed that up until Garner's death, officers rarely were disciplined for using chokeholds and when they were, it was not severe.

Policies are necessary, but if there's no training or teeth behind them, then they do little good. The training shouldn't be too hard, but I don't know how you change the discipline part but through a long, difficult culture change. Easier said than done.

There's also now a renewed push on Capitol Hill to remove or reduce qualified immunity from police, which essentially protects them from civil penalties/lawsuits when they violate citizens' rights. The reasoning behind such policies has some merit - none of us want police out on the job making difficult, split-second decisions while fearing a lawsuit. But the near-total immunity they have now makes them practically unaccountable. There needs to be a way to find a balance between protecting cops from frivolous lawsuits over routine actions and giving citizens a chance for redress over violations of their rights.

Would taking away qualified immunity help take the burden of the city/county/state for lawsuits?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #351 on: June 03, 2020, 06:19:15 PM »
I found this article interesting. It is written from a conservative point of view, but I think it brings up valid concerns we all should have. I do take issue that we don't have a racism problem, we do; but it is just not blacks that are victims of police abuse.

https://pjmedia.com/columns/megan-fox/2020/06/02/we-dont-have-a-racism-problem-we-have-a-deep-state-problem-the-hideous-police-killing-of-duncan-lemp-n484233

Some good points spoiled by right-wing conspiracy theory, white grievance and ultimately terrible conclusions.
Bad policing absolutely harms white people in this country as well, but it's not because of the deep state. It's because our police officers are inadequately trained and exist within a culture that allows and even encourages mistreatment.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #352 on: June 03, 2020, 06:26:53 PM »
Would taking away qualified immunity help take the burden of the city/county/state for lawsuits?

Probably not. Most police receive some level of indemnification through their CBA for actions that occur within the scope of their duties.
Two thoughts on that.
First, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It acts as an incentive to hire good people and train them well, and punishes agencies that fail to do so and fail to discipline/remove bad cops.
Second, within the scope of duties is important. Committing a crime, for example, would not be considered within the scope of a cop's duties, so an employer isn't necessarily liable in that instance (unless, of course, the employer knows he/she is a bad cops and does nothing about it).

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #353 on: June 03, 2020, 07:11:11 PM »
I saw someone ask why police don't use the same rubber bullets they use on peaceful protesters on the unarmed black people they decide to kill rather than suffocating them to death?  It would still be completely insane to bust up a man's face for using counterfeit money, but at least it wouldn't be murder.  A step in the right direction?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #354 on: June 03, 2020, 07:17:06 PM »
Good lord.  that's secret service protocol to move the president to the bunker or AF1 any time there is a physical threat to the president---any president.

They didn't allow GWB to land on 9/11 after he left the school he was at, and Cheney was taken to the bunker.

https://www.history.com/news/september-11-attacks-shootdown-order-cheney-bush

But OMB ran away is the alternative narrative.

Time to update the narrative. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/500882-trump-claims-he-visited-bunker-briefly-during-the-day-to-inspect-it

tower912

• All American
« Reply #355 on: June 03, 2020, 07:24:49 PM »
I am comforted knowing POTUS is so on top of things that he remembers to check out the bunker on a Friday night for future reference.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #356 on: June 03, 2020, 07:42:44 PM »
I’ll put this here instead of the main board, but this is AWESOME from Juan. Talk about already using your platform for good

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/article/Stephen-Curry-Klay-Thompson-attend-Oakland-15315487.php

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #357 on: June 03, 2020, 07:46:16 PM »
I’ll put this here instead of the main board, but this is AWESOME from Juan. Talk about already using your platform for good

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/article/Stephen-Curry-Klay-Thompson-attend-Oakland-15315487.php

I agree!   Go forth and set the world on fire Juan!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #358 on: June 03, 2020, 07:51:08 PM »
I agree!   Go forth and set the world on fire Juan!

Well not literally...please. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #359 on: June 03, 2020, 07:53:21 PM »
In Las Vegas, FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force Arrests:

https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/1268316943074897921?s=19

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #360 on: June 03, 2020, 07:55:19 PM »
In Las Vegas, FBI Joint Terrorism Task Force Arrests:

https://twitter.com/Tom_Winter/status/1268316943074897921?s=19

Is boogaloo that antifa thing we keep hearing about?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #361 on: June 03, 2020, 08:50:32 PM »

I know your post was in jest...but in case anyone didn't scroll down for the full Boogaloo description...it's well...it's something alright.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1224231?__twitter_impression=true

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #362 on: June 03, 2020, 09:01:24 PM »

Antifa 2: Electric Boogaloo

MU82

• All American
« Reply #363 on: June 03, 2020, 10:11:50 PM »
Houston's police chief tears Trump a new one.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2020/06/03/houston-police-chief-rips-donald-trumps-violent-rhetoric-keep-your-mouth-shut/24509126/?fbclid=IwAR0ryRpA1Wl_5tYZ2Lhm0tjc97NY_7xzGkyhBCYzwqOsXLzZ4FcLZQka7sM

Houston police chief Art Acevedo on Tuesday ripped President Donald Trump’s divisive rhetoric on the protests that have erupted nationwide following the death of George Floyd.

“Let me just say this to the president of the United States on behalf of the police chiefs in this country. Please, if you don’t have anything constructive to say, keep your mouth shut. Because you’re putting men and women in their early 20s at risk,” Acevedo told CNN’s Christiane Amanpour.

“It’s not about dominating, it’s about winning hearts and minds,” the police chief continued, referencing Trump’s order earlier this week that governors should “dominate” anti-racism protesters.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #365 on: June 03, 2020, 11:20:57 PM »
Saw some post by a black woman basically reading off George Floyd’s criminal record and saying he’s not a martyr because he’s not a good person. I find it incredibly ignorant and totally missing the point (it’s not just one single person that’s being effected here), but it got me thinking about how people always try to justify murdering unarmed black people (I know she said she isn’t justifying it, but anytime you say, “I’m not saying he deserved to be murdered but...” and then list the bad things a person has done it’s kind of like saying “I don’t mean to offend you but...” and then saying your offensive thought), why is it that in a case like Trayvon Martin his social media posts with a gun make him a “thug” but when a white person posts pictures with their assault rifles they’re “patriotic?”

Maybe that’s why cheeks has been all about getting your guns ready. If you aren’t posting selfies with your guns are you even patriotic?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 11:23:40 PM by wadesworld »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #366 on: June 03, 2020, 11:26:57 PM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/06/james-mattis-denounces-trump-protests-militarization/612640/

General James Mattis finally spoke out today, and wow, it was something. He absolutely destroyed everything about Trump. This decorated general who is one of the most respected military men among both the Brass and the enlisted men even compared Trump to Hitler. Between his letter of resignation and this piece, there will be some advanced courses in American History with these two documents as the centerpiece.

Trump tweeted tonight that he fired Mattis. Mattis resigned after Trump stabbed the Kurds in the back and we have the document to prove it. He also tweeted that he gave Mattis the nickname Mad Dog. Everyone knows this was a longtime nickname that was in place years before Trump ever heard of him. Why this creep lies about such obvious truths is beyond understanding.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #367 on: June 04, 2020, 07:42:28 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #368 on: June 04, 2020, 08:07:37 AM »
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/06/james-mattis-denounces-trump-protests-militarization/612640/

General James Mattis finally spoke out today, and wow, it was something. He absolutely destroyed everything about Trump. This decorated general who is one of the most respected military men among both the Brass and the enlisted men even compared Trump to Hitler. Between his letter of resignation and this piece, there will be some advanced courses in American History with these two documents as the centerpiece.

Proud of Mattis. As bad a week as it has been in so many ways, one of the biggest silver linings is that leaders in all walks of life and representing all ideologies are calling out a dictator-wannabe who is trying to steal the soul and crush the spirit of our great democratic republic.

Think about how amazing yesterday was alone: Trump's current defense secretary said it was dead wrong of his boss to even consider using the Insurrection Act; and Trump's first defense secretary called his former boss "the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people—does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us."

History is going to reward those who take a stand against tyranny, and will not be kind either to the tyrant or to his enablers.

Oh, and FWIW, our own keefe is a very big Mattis fan who wrote at length about how happy he was that Trump had appointed a man of such honor, dignity and competence.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #369 on: June 04, 2020, 08:33:18 AM »
Please note, none of what I'm about to type in any way exonerates Trump or decreases the vileness of his character.......

I've been thinking a lot about what comes next, where do things go from here and I realized we are spending a lot of time focused on Trump which in this moment I think is misplaced. Listen, in a bizarro universe Trump is a uniter and not a divider trying to bring people together at the national level. That just isn't reality, but it also seems to provide cover for those who could also make meaningful change without Trump involved. If we all agree that systemically there is an issue with the policing in this country, almost none of that system has to do with the federal level. Yes, the FBI, ICE, ATF, etc are federal police organizations but the majority of the concern is the policing within the local communities. Why are we not focusing on the local government leadership? The pressure should be brought to bear on governors, attorneys general, mayors, sheriffs, and police chiefs (especially the last three). It strikes me that the protests have done a very good job of drawing attention to the issues but now is the time to pivot to actual change and not spend it spinning away at yet another Trump is bad fight.

So, what do the next couple of weeks look like to put pressure on the local authorities to enact change?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #370 on: June 04, 2020, 08:36:31 AM »
The growing number of traditionally conservative military and law enforcement officials speaking of unity over divisiveness gives these protests a very different feel from the others. Strong voices like General Mattis and Chief Acevedo might finally get us to address the systemic racism that pervades our society.

And I agree with Keefe - General Mattis is definitely a man of honor, dignity and competence. I would add empathy and compassion.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #371 on: June 04, 2020, 08:38:00 AM »
Please note, none of what I'm about to type in any way exonerates Trump or decreases the vileness of his character.......

I've been thinking a lot about what comes next, where do things go from here and I realized we are spending a lot of time focused on Trump which in this moment I think is misplaced. Listen, in a bizarro universe Trump is a uniter and not a divider trying to bring people together at the national level. That just isn't reality, but it also seems to provide cover for those who could also make meaningful change without Trump involved. If we all agree that systemically there is an issue with the policing in this country, almost none of that system has to do with the federal level. Yes, the FBI, ICE, ATF, etc are federal police organizations but the majority of the concern is the policing within the local communities. Why are we not focusing on the local government leadership? The pressure should be brought to bear on governors, attorneys general, mayors, sheriffs, and police chiefs (especially the last three). It strikes me that the protests have done a very good job of drawing attention to the issues but now is the time to pivot to actual change and not spend it spinning away at yet another Trump is bad fight.

So, what do the next couple of weeks look like to put pressure on the local authorities to enact change?

Sure it doesn't help that trump had the big police chiefs convention and invited Bill Kroll to speak. Stuff like that is why he must be included. Now you do make a great point, racism in policing isn't a federal policy but again what is we're the Obama era guidlines to hold police accountable. I think there's plenty to be done on the federal side as well.
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #372 on: June 04, 2020, 08:39:23 AM »
Yes, much like mayors and governors stepped up during the pandemic to fill the vacuum of leadership created at the federal level, this is another opportunity for them to address on an ad hoc basis one of the most vexing problems of this or any other time.    And when they are done, they can replace Jared in bringing peace to the middle east.   

Seriously, though, governors and mayors are going to have to lead.     And if they are smart, they will be communicating and collaborating.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #373 on: June 04, 2020, 08:40:09 AM »

If word could get out more broadly about the eight-step plan that you posted about yesterday, that would seem to be a good start. As you noted, that could be implemented at the local level.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #374 on: June 04, 2020, 08:41:05 AM »

I think we are already starting to see that change.  It's not swift or monumental, but incremental yet still meaningful.  It's not going to be about panels or laws.  It's going to come though simple and concrete actions.  I also think there has been a change in the narrative.  I have friends who were upset when Kaepernick kneeled and tried to downplay the issue, who are now retroactively supportive and understanding.  More people realize the problem than two weeks ago.  More people are sympathetic than two weeks ago.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback