collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Protests  (Read 76296 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Protests
« Reply #225 on: June 01, 2020, 09:00:46 PM »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #226 on: June 01, 2020, 09:31:08 PM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1221456?__twitter_impression=true

Lots of (intentional) chaos and disinformation out there.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #227 on: June 01, 2020, 09:34:45 PM »
I just saw Trump say if the local authorities don't get rioting under control he would order active duty military in.....

1. That's banana republic $hit
2. I believe such an order would unlawful and if active duty I would refuse to obey it.
3. I voted for Trump, but I will not do so again. He has failed his leadership test as of now

I think you need to study your history.  It absolutely is not banana republic $hit.  President Eisenhower in Arkansas with the Little Rock Nine to allow school integration.  I can give you other examples.  What are you going to do, just let people burn everything down? Kill innocent people?  Protesting is an American right and protected under the 1st Amendment.  Destroying people's property and killing innocent people is not. 

What do you think gun sales are going to happen this week and next?   Skyrocketed. 

Something that you all may want to wake up and think about.  If you want to go this direction, then sit back and let people burn it to the ground, but you will be most displeased with how things go if you do.  People are universally against what happened to Mr. Floyd, but they are not going to remain there if the outcome is massive destruction to life and property.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2015/05/new-study-shows-riots-make-america-conservative.html
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #228 on: June 01, 2020, 09:48:27 PM »
Gotta give Idi Trump credit: Just about nobody is talking about the coronavirus right now.

Nobody thought it was possible, but he actually found a crisis he could screw up even worse.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #229 on: June 01, 2020, 10:01:14 PM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1221456?__twitter_impression=true

Lots of (intentional) chaos and disinformation out there.

The opportunists from all sides are doing their bidding in this.  Social media makes it easier than ever with sheep following both camps without even thinking.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 10:02:50 PM by WarriorDad »
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #230 on: June 01, 2020, 10:22:39 PM »
THUG!

John Beilein is proud of you
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #231 on: June 01, 2020, 10:27:28 PM »
This is what bothers me. There are massive protests involving millions of people around the US right now. There are a handful of outliers that turn it violent. The media focuses on that element.

At the same time, there are thousands of police, doing the right thing during these protests, and there are outliers (saw a sad 20 minute video of police brutality during these protests) violently attacking peaceful protesters. Certain aspects of the media focus on the police doing the right thing.

The reality is there is about 1% of the population that are simply crappy people.

Agree with you, but we act on what the 1% do and extrapolate it to suggest many more are crappy people.  Emotions trump sanity and here we are.
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #232 on: June 01, 2020, 10:35:17 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CA6eeZVpcwh/?igshid=dht77ou1mmnd

Cheeks desperately needs a change of perspective.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #233 on: June 01, 2020, 11:06:04 PM »
@ScottGordonNBC5: Protesters just told police on bullhorn  if officers took a knee they would go home. Officers took a knee.  Protesters came up to cops and shook their hands, hugged them.  Remarkable. https://twitter.com/ScottGordonNBC5/status/1267634539158962176/video/1

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #234 on: June 01, 2020, 11:10:27 PM »
And the pastor of the Church is PISSED.

Anyway, the ironic thing is that this is the sort of action that Trump voters would have been rightfully up in arms about it if Obama had done it.

Remember that time the GOP labeled him an “Emperor?”

Way beyond pissed.

It was actually Bishop Mariann Budde, leader of The Episcopal Diocese of Washington who put out a no-holds-barred statement denouncing Trump.

Any "christian" who still supports the president after this is a christian in name-only. They have all sold their savior for 30 pieces of silver.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 11:12:29 PM by Jockey »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #235 on: June 01, 2020, 11:32:33 PM »
@ScottGordonNBC5: Protesters just told police on bullhorn  if officers took a knee they would go home. Officers took a knee.  Protesters came up to cops and shook their hands, hugged them.  Remarkable. https://twitter.com/ScottGordonNBC5/status/1267634539158962176/video/1

Building a bridge through understanding and empathy. A great moment.

Most of the protesters are good people, and most police are too. It just took a few of both in Fort Worth to lead the way toward healing. We need more of this, not more firepower.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #236 on: June 02, 2020, 05:50:56 AM »
Is the threat to use the military against American citizens a trial balloon for actions in November if/when he loses the election?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #237 on: June 02, 2020, 06:06:41 AM »
Is the threat to use the military against American citizens a trial balloon for actions in November if/when he loses the election?

Isn't there already a Covid conspiracy tinfoil thread on Scoop?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #238 on: June 02, 2020, 07:10:18 AM »

Way beyond pissed.

It was actually Bishop Mariann Budde, leader of The Episcopal Diocese of Washington who put out a no-holds-barred statement denouncing Trump.

Once he arrived at St John’s, Trump held up a Bible that read “God is love”, while posing in front of the church’s sign.

The Right Rev Mariann Budde, the Episcopal bishop of Washington, told the Washington Post: “I am the bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington and was not given even a courtesy call, that they would be clearing [the area] with tear gas so they could use one of our churches as a prop.”

Trump’s message is at odds with the values of love and tolerance espoused by the church, Budde said, before describing the president’s visit as an opportunity to use the church, and a Bible, as a “backdrop”.

“Let me be clear, the President just used a Bible, the most sacred text of the Judeo-Christian tradition, and one of the churches of my diocese, without permission, as a backdrop for a message antithetical to the teachings of Jesus,” she told CNN.

“We align ourselves with those seeking justice for the death of George Floyd and countless others. And I just can’t believe what my eyes have seen,” she added.

“I don’t want President Trump speaking for St John’s. We so dissociate ourselves from the messages of this president,” she told the Washington Post. “We hold the teachings of our sacred texts to be so, so grounding to our lives and everything we do, and it is about love of neighbor and sacrificial love and justice.”

Every single time we think this dangerous, racist lunatic can't go any lower, he manages to find a new way.

It's hard to imagine him going lower than having military police tear-gas and shoot at peaceful protesters so he can take a photo-op stroll to a church that wants nothing to do with him, but I have confidence that he will.

Maybe bomb a U.S. city? Why not? It would be a fine show of "domination." Watch out, Minneapolis!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #239 on: June 02, 2020, 07:50:47 AM »
I think you need to study your history.  It absolutely is not banana republic $hit.  President Eisenhower in Arkansas with the Little Rock Nine to allow school integration.  I can give you other examples.  What are you going to do, just let people burn everything down? Kill innocent people?  Protesting is an American right and protected under the 1st Amendment.  Destroying people's property and killing innocent people is not. 

Nope.  You are the one that needs to study their history.  Ike federalized the Arkansas national guard.  Also the national guard was used to quell the Vietnam riots.  But the national guard is a reserve force.  Not active military.

It is against the Posse Comitatus Act to use *active* military to enforce domestic law. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #240 on: June 02, 2020, 08:05:31 AM »
OK ... it's not easy, but I'm trying to find something - anything! - positive out of all this.

I stumbled across this montage of photos from various protests, most showing black folks and white folks, including many police officers, banding together to fight the scourge of systemic racism in America.

It made me feel better. Hopefully others will be similarly uplifted, even if only for a few moments ...

https://www.boredpanda.com/george-floyd-police-brutality-protest/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=BPFacebook&fbclid=IwAR1NGahGK8riaSIOb_J-bLk2aRnf_9bJWZISSvQbQLy-zLjbRZx4M9c-9Vw

An example:

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #241 on: June 02, 2020, 08:34:39 AM »
I found this video this morning.  I thought it promoted calm and unity.

Powerful protest moments from across the country
Duration: 02:42
https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/tunedin/powerful-protest-moments-from-across-the-country/vi-BB14TJiL

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #242 on: June 02, 2020, 08:42:42 AM »
Isn't there already a Covid conspiracy tinfoil thread on Scoop?

If you think that gassing and assaulting LEGAL protesters was the bottom for Trump, think again, my friend.

On Sunday, speaking about Trump, George Will (yes, that George Will, the lifelong conservative republican) said, "There is no such thing as rock bottom. So, assume that the worst is yet to come". 

On July 28, 2017, in front of uniformed police, Trump urged them “please don’t be too nice” when handling suspected offenders. Minneapolis police fulfilled his wish last week. A president called for police brutality and they took him seriously.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #243 on: June 02, 2020, 08:53:49 AM »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #244 on: June 02, 2020, 08:55:31 AM »
I found this video this morning.  I thought it promoted calm and unity.

Powerful protest moments from across the country
Duration: 02:42
https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/tunedin/powerful-protest-moments-from-across-the-country/vi-BB14TJiL

I believe the words of Terrence Floyd reflect the views of the vast majority of protesters. I hope that his speaking out quells the property damage and looting promoted by a few.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #245 on: June 02, 2020, 09:01:06 AM »

I believe the words of Terrence Floyd reflect the views of the vast majority of protesters. I hope that his speaking out quells the property damage and looting promoted by a few.

Amen!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #246 on: June 02, 2020, 09:31:50 AM »
We make a mistake when we conflate the protesters with the vandals and the looters. If we were to create a Venn diagram between the people who show up with a sincere intent to protest injustice with those who end up committing acts of violence and property damage, the crossover would be pretty small.
The good news is that it's a small minority of the crowd responsible for the criminal acts.
The bad news is that small minority isn't likely to heed the words of Terrence Floyd and others like him.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #247 on: June 02, 2020, 09:37:21 AM »
We're seeing time and again what happens when police make the effort to show empathy and solidarity with protesters rather than trying to "dominate" them.

https://twitter.com/stevebartlettsc/status/1267255462606581762

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #248 on: June 02, 2020, 09:47:04 AM »
We're seeing time and again what happens when police make the effort to show empathy and solidarity with protesters rather than trying to "dominate" them.

https://twitter.com/stevebartlettsc/status/1267255462606581762

You post shows why this situation is so distressing to so many people. The link shows how easy it is to show that you care and the effect that it has.

Compare the actions of this cop to the president's thuggery yesterday and it is easy to see where the Trump hatred comes from and why it is fully justified. In fact, I am dumfounded as to why 40%+ of the population still supports him.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 09:50:12 AM by Jockey »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #249 on: June 02, 2020, 09:49:11 AM »
We make a mistake when we conflate the protesters with the vandals and the looters. If we were to create a Venn diagram between the people who show up with a sincere intent to protest injustice with those who end up committing acts of violence and property damage, the crossover would be pretty small.
The good news is that it's a small minority of the crowd responsible for the criminal acts.
The bad news is that small minority isn't likely to heed the words of Terrence Floyd and others like him.

Yep. What you say is true. There will be a relatively small number of people who loot and inflame the situation just for the sake of it.

One of the stirring images from the weekend was Michigan Ave. flooded with people. For blocks and blocks and blocks, the street was filled with 10s of thousands of people. It looked like it could be a sports team's victory celebration.

There was some looting going on. Several storefronts had windows smashed and stuff stolen. But if there were 50,000 people there, how many of them were committing crimes? Maybe 250? Maybe 500? Even if it's the latter (which it probably wasn't), that's 1%.

That's still too many, but it does provide some perspective.

How many Chicago cops commit brutality, most of which is never caught on camera? Does 1% sound high or low? I'm gonna give the men in blue the benefit of the doubt and say it's probably high, but I think the point is fair.

People are effen fed up. They were fed up before George Floyd was murdered in cold blood by a cop while three of his cop-mates stood by and watched. They were really, really fed up after Floyd's life was snuffed out as he pleaded that he couldn't breathe. And then when some leaders, including the man at the top, respond with no empathy, no calm, no attempts to unite, and instead threaten to gun down American citizens, that's how you get where we are.

What happens if one of Idi Trump's military operations responds to a thrown bottle by firing bullets into a crowd? Our formerly great democratic republic will burn for weeks.

I mean, just yesterday, Idi had his military use tear gas and flash grenades to disperse peaceful protesters so he could have a photo op.

feedback