collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Protests  (Read 76302 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Protests
« Reply #175 on: June 01, 2020, 01:35:34 PM »
There were no anarchists imbedded with the re-open protesters as there were with the George Floyd protesters, thus no windows smashed, cop cars set on fire and buildings burned to the ground.

Hmm Anger of protesting murders vs not being able to get drunk at a bar...  But if youre right the police never charged at right wing protestors who bring heavy artillery with them to protest vs a couple hammers, fireworks, odd hidden pistol and spray paint.

Remember the Bundy standoff? I wonder how trumps (and the general rights) reaction would be if it was a large group of heavily armed black militia men.
Maigh Eo for Sam

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #176 on: June 01, 2020, 01:40:12 PM »
Hmm Anger of protesting murders vs not being able to get drunk at a bar...  But if youre right the police never charged at right wing protestors who bring heavy artillery with them to protest vs a couple hammers, fireworks, odd hidden pistol and spray paint.

Remember the Bundy standoff? I wonder how trumps (and the general rights) reaction would be if it was a large group of heavily armed black militia men.

I was just comparing not justifying one over the other.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #177 on: June 01, 2020, 01:46:21 PM »
In before another Nads thread lock.

rent free
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #178 on: June 01, 2020, 01:46:44 PM »
You might be right, though it still might have been nice to see the president of the United States at least try to act like a leader for all Americans instead of a third-world strongman.

He wants to be a third world strongman.  But neither has the ability nor energy to actually be one.  Too much work really. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #179 on: June 01, 2020, 01:56:02 PM »
I was just comparing not justifying one over the other.

Sorry for my response then. it came off that you were.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #180 on: June 01, 2020, 01:56:36 PM »
There were no anarchists imbedded with the re-open protesters as there were with the George Floyd protesters, thus no windows smashed, cop cars set on fire and buildings burned to the ground. Also law enforcement was not the target of the protest in the one as the other therefore a different police response.

When I posted that (May 27), from everything that I saw the protests to that point had been without violence/vandalism/looting. Even then, police appeared to be using undue/excessive force where not needed.

But, as Eng said, perhaps that was just what I was seeing from my bubble/tribe.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #181 on: June 01, 2020, 02:00:47 PM »
rent free

Impulsive man child with zero self control or filter.  Blue balled blogger

MU82

• All American
« Reply #182 on: June 01, 2020, 02:23:33 PM »
Impulsive man child with zero self control or filter.  Blue balled blogger

Now who is trying to lock the thread by violating Scoop rule #1? Look in the mirror.

I don't insult you or call you names. I pretty much try to ignore you - except for when I actually have voiced support for you.

Your obsession with me is bizarre. I've tried to work it out with you via PM but you blew me off.

Whatevs, man. We all need hobbies, I guess.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #183 on: June 01, 2020, 02:26:18 PM »
Forgetful is correct, we lose sight of the good because it by and large the good "doesn't sell". Note, I'm making an approximation here: 80% of the protest interactions are normal, 15% are extraordinary(cops and protesters comforting/supporting each other), and 5% is terrible(rioting, cops lack of restraint, physical attacks, etc). You have breathless reporting at the national level of all the horrible going on that is disproportionate to reality which gets further compounded by social media where depending who you follow and their personal narrative influences what you see in your timelines so to speak.

Collectively we need to step back from our individual tribes and narratives and think of the other tribes and how we bridge the gaps between them constructively....
And we're going to have to do it because the president has abdicated his role in that process. We assess what we have and where we need to go and then go.

Good post until you went back into your "tribe".

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #184 on: June 01, 2020, 02:34:26 PM »
There were no anarchists imbedded with the re-open protesters as there were with the George Floyd protesters, thus no windows smashed, cop cars set on fire and buildings burned to the ground. Also law enforcement was not the target of the protest in the one as the other therefore a different police response.

In Chicago, the police were beating on protesters before any windows started getting smashed and cars were lit on fire. Just cops doing cop things when their authority is challenged by young people and people of color.

In Minnesota, they were drive-by pepper-spraying peaceful protests day 1.

For the Laquan McDonald protests, the cops let the protesters march until they were tired. This time the police formed lines and tried to physically force the protesters back the way they came with shoving and hitting with their batons. It's no surprise that the protests escalated after the cops escalated the violence.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #185 on: June 01, 2020, 02:41:35 PM »
Aproposs of nothing ...

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #186 on: June 01, 2020, 03:04:57 PM »

Not criticism, just facts.

I don't know that anyone on the SuperBar would call me a card carrying liberal or a member of a leftward tribe. I included that because I was directly looking outside of my tribe (as a card carrying modern whig).
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #187 on: June 01, 2020, 03:23:30 PM »

I don't know that anyone on the SuperBar would call me a card carrying liberal or a member of a leftward tribe. I included that because I was directly looking outside of my tribe (as a card carrying modern whig).

I know lots of Scoopers who are card carrying members of da modern Know Nothing Party, ai''na?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 03:26:25 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #188 on: June 01, 2020, 04:45:21 PM »

Not criticism, just facts that some Governors and Mayors have abdicated their roles as well as the President.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #189 on: June 01, 2020, 04:54:07 PM »
In Chicago, the police were beating on protesters before any windows started getting smashed and cars were lit on fire. Just cops doing cop things when their authority is challenged by young people and people of color.

In Minnesota, they were drive-by pepper-spraying peaceful protests day 1.

For the Laquan McDonald protests, the cops let the protesters march until they were tired. This time the police formed lines and tried to physically force the protesters back the way they came with shoving and hitting with their batons. It's no surprise that the protests escalated after the cops escalated the violence.

Eh.

I'll say MAYBE the protests would have escalated in places where the police began with violent acts. At least, if those places only included legitimate protesters.

In areas where there have been anarchists, counter-protesters, provocative agents, etc - those areas were going to become violent/criminal because of those other groups, regardless of what the police did/didn't do.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #190 on: June 01, 2020, 04:58:12 PM »
Not criticism, just facts that some Governors and Mayors have abdicated their roles as well as the President.

You aren't wrong
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #191 on: June 01, 2020, 05:12:47 PM »

Way off base. Eng is very pragmatic. If I had to use a label it would be Centrist or just right of center. He has never posted as a lib on Scoop.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #192 on: June 01, 2020, 05:32:47 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #193 on: June 01, 2020, 05:40:19 PM »
Cops just fired tear gas and flash bang grenades on peaceful protesters in front of the White House. What the actual f---? Looks like a cop riot.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #194 on: June 01, 2020, 05:52:11 PM »
Firing at peaceful American citizens. The entire effen country is gonna turn into Kent State before this dictator-wannabe is through.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #195 on: June 01, 2020, 05:55:31 PM »
Trump doesn't control the DC police does he?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #196 on: June 01, 2020, 05:59:31 PM »

nm
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 06:02:25 PM by Hards_Alumni »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #197 on: June 01, 2020, 06:00:47 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CA52wlwn8oO/?igshid=lgvqbh5i1jf3

Good lord.  that's secret service protocol to move the president to the bunker or AF1 any time there is a physical threat to the president---any president.

They didn't allow GWB to land on 9/11 after he left the school he was at, and Cheney was taken to the bunker.

https://www.history.com/news/september-11-attacks-shootdown-order-cheney-bush

But OMB ran away is the alternative narrative.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #198 on: June 01, 2020, 06:04:58 PM »

Generally, no...but he can.

Under the District of Columbia Home Rule Act, the President can declare an emergency and require the DC mayor to to essentially "give" him the use of the police for "federal purposes" for up to 48 hours. Dunno if he has invoked this act, but just knowing it's there probably gives him a fair bit of influence over how the mayor deploys the police.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #199 on: June 01, 2020, 06:10:14 PM »

It was National Park and military police. They hold jurisdiction around the White House.
They fired tear gas, flash bang grenades and rubber bullets on peaceful protesters so Trump could walk across the street for a photo op.
And now he's threatening to send the Army into cities that don't deal with protests to his liking.
Sh*tshow.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 06:11:48 PM by Pakuni »