Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2024 Transfer Portal  (Read 237115 times)

GoldenEagles03

• All American
Re: 2024 Transfer Portal
« Reply #1850 on: April 29, 2024, 11:15:24 PM »
You're a child. Try and talk civilly next time.

Hey at least hes just name calling.

He tried to tell me that I was the one who pulled the Hoggard thing out of thin air when it was someone else.

Come to think of it...Wades also tried telling me that I was the one who fabricated the Avila to MU thing and that was someone else too.

Be happy it's just name calling and not false accusations.
VIOLENCE!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1851 on: April 29, 2024, 11:43:04 PM »
Hey at least hes just name calling.

He tried to tell me that I was the one who pulled the Hoggard thing out of thin air when it was someone else.

Come to think of it...Wades also tried telling me that I was the one who fabricated the Avila to MU thing and that was someone else too.

Be happy it's just name calling and not false accusations.

I mean,  I'm pretty sure both cases they made a mistake and genuinely thought you were the one who posted. False accusation typically involves intent
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1852 on: April 30, 2024, 06:42:12 AM »
No one can question players improve as they get older, Frank Kaminsky and Butch Lee both became National player of the year, Oso amazing.  Can Tre and Zaide make a difference next year, we will see. Are the 3 freshman good enough to play, lots of question marks.

Have you watched Marquette since Shaka got hired?  Have you not seen the players improve?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1853 on: April 30, 2024, 07:17:20 AM »
One of the main constants from my time at Scoop is that BCHoopster complains about everything.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1854 on: April 30, 2024, 07:46:49 AM »
Disagree.   He is pessimistic about the 24-25 team/season.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #1855 on: April 30, 2024, 08:12:53 AM »
Disagree.   He is pessimistic about the 24-25 team/season.

I am not pessimistic about next years team, they will be good but to win championships you have to strive for greatness, not sure about that

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1856 on: April 30, 2024, 08:27:15 AM »
I am not pessimistic about next years team, they will be good but to win championships you have to strive for greatness, not sure about that
Went back and read some of your old posts.   A year ago, you praised Shaka for not wanting to drop a bag on a portal transfer.   What changed?    Your earliest posts were about Buzz being two deep at every position (celebrating Erik Williams, later tearing down OMax and Oso) and not wanting more than 11 scholarships, as 12 and 13 never play anyway.   What changed? 

I did enjoy the random Gus Yalden drop and then the response to it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 08:39:23 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #1857 on: April 30, 2024, 08:39:32 AM »
Went back and read some of your old posts.   A year ago, you praised Shaka for not wanting to drop a bag on a portal transfer.   What changed?    Your earliest posts were about Buzz being two deep at every position (celebrating Erik Williams, later tearing down OMax and Oso) and not wanting more than 11 scholarships, as 12 and 13 never play anyway.   What changed?

I did enjoy the random Gus Yalden drop and then the response se to it.

I am not sold that they have enough talent on this team.  Your right, 13th player is not needed.  Concerned about the point guard position if Jones can not play, so you are really down to 11

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1858 on: April 30, 2024, 08:47:05 AM »
How many teams even go 11 deep?  Our starting 5 are all upperclassmen that have spent their entire careers at MU in Shaka's system. Are there question marks about our bench/role players, sure, but who in the country doesn't?
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1859 on: April 30, 2024, 09:12:22 AM »

I am not sold that they have enough talent on this team.  Your right, 13th player is not needed.  Concerned about the point guard position if Jones can not play, so you are really down to 11

So from your perspective Shaka should deviate from his preferred approach, which has clearly worked very well so far, to chase portal players at the expense of our own guys? 

It's the identity of his program and what he is going to preach to recruits (commit, stay and develop), which he is going to have proof of concept with guys like Omax and Tyler playing in the NBA (yes, those 2 guys were transfers but were brought in Shaka's 1st year when he essentially had to build a new team). 

Sure, there are going to be years where the ceiling doesn't look as high as it did last season but that's not a reason for Shaka to deviate from his approach at the expense of the future.  And even if as fans we don't think the ceiling looks as high, believe it or not, we don't know better than the staff.  And that certainly doesn't mean the staff the and players don't have championship aspirations. 

As for Kam, in the 6 games Tyler was out where he was thrust into a lead guard role with essentially no preparation:

20.8 PPG
4.5 APG
4.7 RPG
2.2 TOPG
50.5 FG%
45.7% 3PT%

If Shaka decides that Kam is going to play PG with a full offseason to prepare, I've got no issue with it.  It may be best for his long-term future after Marquette as well.  And hopefully Tre develops to give Shaka flexibility with the position. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1860 on: April 30, 2024, 09:23:21 AM »
How many teams even go 11 deep?  Our starting 5 are all upperclassmen that have spent their entire careers at MU in Shaka's system. Are there question marks about our bench/role players, sure, but who in the country doesn't?

Exactly.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1861 on: April 30, 2024, 09:31:37 AM »
Exactly.

Our 13 scholarships are used in the following ways:

Starting 5, all upperclassmen that have only ever played for Shaka and are committed to his system.
2 Sophomores that played significant minutes last year.
1 Sophomore that played only garbage time last year.
3 Freshman that are in a position where if they are ready they will contribute, but if they aren't they won't be thrown to the wolves.
1 long term injury-possible red-shirt candidate.
1 open flex, should a perfect target become available via the portal in the next 24 hours/mid season reclassifying high school target (i.e. Hamilton last year)/if they are targeting a larger Freshman class next year. Options.

That is about as textbook as it comes if your strategy is get old and stay old.  This is what Shaka has done at his time at MU, this is what he's going to continue to attempt to do. No amount of online complaining is going to change it.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1862 on: April 30, 2024, 09:34:33 AM »

Starting 5, all upperclassmen that have only ever played for Shaka and are committed to his system.
3 Freshman that are in a position where if they are ready they will contribute, but if they aren't they won't be thrown to the wolves.
1 open flex, should a perfect target become available via the portal in the next 24 hours/mid season reclassifying high school target (i.e. Hamilton last year)/if they are targeting a larger Freshman class next year. Options.

That is about as textbook as it comes if your strategy is get old and stay old.  This is what Shaka has done at his time at MU, this is what he's going to continue to attempt to do. No amount of online complaining is going to change it.
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1863 on: April 30, 2024, 09:35:26 AM »
Crap, now I know I'm wrong. Even worse, I'm talking to ghosts. Someone get me Lazar's number.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1864 on: April 30, 2024, 09:44:40 AM »
No one can question players improve as they get older, Frank Kaminsky and Butch Lee both became National player of the year, Oso amazing.  Can Tre and Zaide make a difference next year, we will see. Are the 3 freshman good enough to play, lots of question marks.

Yep, as is the case with every single program in the country, there are question marks. As was the case at Marquette before each of Shaka's seasons, there are question marks.

But despite significant evidence about the ability of Shaka and his assistants to develop players, you seem to have already decided that the answer to every question is "no." You also are certain that you know more about building Shaka's program than Shaka does.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #1865 on: April 30, 2024, 09:52:49 AM »
This is an interesting stat about covid year players and xfer portal. It will be much harder going forward to get as many quality players in the portal. This plays into Shaka's retention plans.

https://twitter.com/CBB_Central/status/1785300440613023748

Goose

• All American
« Reply #1866 on: April 30, 2024, 10:07:37 AM »
There is no doubt the portal will be much tougher next year because less kids will be in the portal. Teams that have used it exclusively will have more difficult task next season. There is a lot of 23+ guys running around the portal this year picking up their bags.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1867 on: April 30, 2024, 10:08:36 AM »
Really, the only questions for the 24-25 team are which of the young forwards develop and how fast.   Well, and whether Sean contributes.

Starting line up is known (perhaps Tre over Chase, but I doubt it).   
6th and 7th man are known.    So far MU is miles ahead of most other schools.
8-9-10 are the questions.   

I think preseason top 15 is fair.   If 2 of the young forwards pan out, MU could be better than last season.

3 freshmen, 3 sophomores, 3 juniors, 3 seniors.   6 guards, 6 forwards.   Keep developing.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1868 on: April 30, 2024, 10:13:18 AM »
If Shaka decides that Kam is going to play PG with a full offseason to prepare, I've got no issue with it.  It may be best for his long-term future after Marquette as well.  And hopefully Tre develops to give Shaka flexibility with the position.

But despite significant evidence about the ability of Shaka and his assistants to develop players, you seem to have already decided that the answer to every question is "no." You also are certain that you know more about building Shaka's program than Shaka does.

The bolded plus Shaka's being consistently very open about the system he prefers-recruit from HS and develop-makes the endless discussions regarding bringing in a transfer this off-season academic.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

• All American
« Reply #1869 on: April 30, 2024, 10:16:11 AM »

Oh absolutely. Well put.

The only quibble is holding something for a mid-year transfer. With instant eligibility, hardly anyone transfers mid year any longer.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1870 on: April 30, 2024, 10:19:51 AM »

Oh absolutely. Well put.

The only quibble is holding something for a mid-year transfer. With instant eligibility, hardly anyone transfers mid year any longer.

Mid-season transfer? My three scenarios were transfer in the next, now 14 hours, mid year reclassifying high school target which we had literally last summer, or bank and have a larger Freshman class next year.

• All American
« Reply #1871 on: April 30, 2024, 10:24:35 AM »
Right right. I just meant that a mid year transfer is pretty unlikely but yeah your points are good.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #1872 on: April 30, 2024, 10:41:23 AM »
Yep, as is the case with every single program in the country, there are question marks. As was the case at Marquette before each of Shaka's seasons, there are question marks.

Wrong, all 5 freshman and sophomores have potential, I am good with that. But
I like having an experienced point on campus.  Should Shaka have added another forward with Omax leaving, I think we all can say yes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1873 on: April 30, 2024, 10:43:39 AM »
Really, the only questions for the 24-25 team are which of the young forwards develop and how fast.   Well, and whether Sean contributes.

Starting line up is known (perhaps Tre over Chase, but I doubt it).   
6th and 7th man are known.    So far MU is miles ahead of most other schools.
8-9-10 are the questions.   

I think preseason top 15 is fair.   If 2 of the young forwards pan out, MU could be better than last season.

3 freshmen, 3 sophomores, 3 juniors, 3 seniors.   6 guards, 6 forwards.   Keep developing.

Agree with most of this. However ...

In Kolek and Oso, we had two of college basketball's best players at their positions in the same lineup, and Kam too. As big an optimist as I am, I don't see that happening next season, and therefore I'll go in thinking that Marquette won't be "better" in 2024-25 than we were in 2023-24.

But that doesn't mean the team won't accomplish as much or more during the course of the season or in March.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1874 on: April 30, 2024, 10:44:56 AM »
Wrong, all 5 freshman and sophomores have potential, I am good with that. But
I like having an experienced point on campus. Should Shaka have added another forward with Omax leaving, I think we all can say yes.

Then we could all watch Jop suit up for someone else last/next year.

When you can't offer a starting spot, and can't offer a bag drop, the transfer pool is pretty limited.  You would have to get creative like offering the NAIA player of the year, or targeting some lesser known player from Germany.

feedback