'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Enlund's Blog] Buzz explains THAT timeout  (Read 2048 times)

TomEnlundSays

[Enlund's Blog] Buzz explains THAT timeout
« on: January 10, 2012, 07:15:03 PM »
Buzz explains THAT timeout

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/137059893.html

MU82

• All American
Re: [Enlund's Blog] Buzz explains THAT timeout
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 07:32:15 PM »
Again, didn't cost MU the game. Again, even after Buzz's explanation, it still doesn't make much sense. It was one of those "if it worked it was smart but it didn't so it was questionable" things. Like pretty much every coaching decision in sports.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 10:09:04 PM »
Again, didn't cost MU the game. Again, even after Buzz's explanation, it still doesn't make much sense. It was one of those "if it worked it was smart but it didn't so it was questionable" things. Like pretty much every coaching decision in sports.

More importantly, it shows that Enlund is reading forums like this to get an idea as to what to ask during media availability.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 10:19:37 PM »
Ok, his job is a cbb beAt writer with experience doing the same in the NBA right?  Gotta think he knows enough to ask that question without reading it here, but maybe I am giving him to much credit.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 11:49:34 PM »
I think the TO was blown out of proportion by stupid fans. It's like fan blaming the refs for blowing 17 point lead because they called a terrible charging call or something. It's DI ball. Playmakers need to step up and make plays.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 09:23:29 AM »
Ok, his job is a cbb beAt writer with experience doing the same in the NBA right?  Gotta think he knows enough to ask that question without reading it here, but maybe I am giving him to much credit.

Enlund wrote that he personally didn't notice it but apparently the timeout bothered some fans. My guess is the only segment of fans who made such a big deal out of it were the ones posting here.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 09:44:25 AM »
The fact remains that the TO was at the turning point in the game.  Did the TO cause the collapse? Absolutely not!  A whole combination of factors caused the collapse, including the crowd, Georgetown's shooting %, some turnovers, sloppy defense, etc.  It's just that the TO is at the highwater mark so obviously the momentum changed at that time (13 minutes to go in the second half).

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 10:02:55 AM »
I think the TO was blown out of proportion by stupid fans. It's like fan blaming the refs for blowing 17 point lead because they called a terrible charging call or something. It's DI ball. Playmakers need to step up and make plays.

I don't understand this thinking.  I'm a fan, but I've refereed, coached, and played through the high school level.  Sometimes bad calls DO cost you the game.  Sometimes a timeout can cost you momentum or allow your opponent to get their bearings or change their defense or make a substitution and change the outcome of several subsequent possessions.  In a one possession game there are dozens of individual plays/decisions that can be the difference between winning and losing.

To me, that was a bad timeout.  By itself did not cost us the game, but was one of several things over the last 13 minutes that contributed to losing.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 12:26:12 PM »
More importantly, it shows that Enlund is reading forums like this to get an idea as to what to ask during media availability.

Great, so I can look forward to his in-depth posts about proper high five ettiquite and huddling during FTs?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 12:40:59 PM »
I don't understand this thinking.  I'm a fan, but I've refereed, coached, and played through the high school level.  Sometimes bad calls DO cost you the game.  Sometimes a timeout can cost you momentum or allow your opponent to get their bearings or change their defense or make a substitution and change the outcome of several subsequent possessions.  In a one possession game there are dozens of individual plays/decisions that can be the difference between winning and losing.

To me, that was a bad timeout.  By itself did not cost us the game, but was one of several things over the last 13 minutes that contributed to losing.
Agreed.  Simply was a poorly timed TO.  Sure did not help MU's momentum.