[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jamel Jackson  (Read 2091 times)

ATWizJr

• All American
Jamel Jackson
« on: October 29, 2008, 10:10:25 PM »
According to Zag's Blog, we are interested in Jackson, a JUCO SG. 

6' 3" 195 former commit to Seton Hall who did not qualify and spent a season at TCI.  Anyone know anything about him?

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Jamel Jackson
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 07:51:34 AM »
red flag......grades have already kept him out of one Catholic institution in the Big East.

no thank you

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 08:25:13 AM »
Agreed. Wonder why our name is being linked to him?

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 08:28:36 AM »
Thats what some said about Maymon and now I read that "expert" is calling him the best WI player in 25 years.  Lets be realistic, these kids do more for the school than 95% of the professors or other members of the school.  Some of these good high school basketball players are interested in other things and don't take school seriously as freshman or sophomores or even as juniors or seniors.  Who cares if his grades were poor, MU got record applicants when they reached the final four.....if he has showed improvement and can help the team reach their goals then I'm all for it.  

The exposure the team creates is well worth the risk, and based on our graduation rates I think our coaches and tutors could help the kid academically as well.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 08:56:20 AM »
Thats what some said about Maymon and now I read that "expert" is calling him the best WI player in 25 years.

This is an apples to oranges comparison....Maymon was never denied admission (which included an appeals process in the case of Jackson) to another BIG EAST institution.   Maymon is like every other D1 recruit right now -- he's not qualified to go to college, and has about seven more months to earn the credentials.

Lets be realistic, these kids do more for the school than 95% of the professors or other members of the school.

The players certainly get more exposure, but its doubtful the majority of them do more for the school than so many of MU's accomplished professors.  Dan Fitzgerald or Dr. Ronald Brown, Dr. Richard Friman, or Dr. Sarah Peck?  Advantage: faculty

Who cares if his grades were poor, MU got record applicants when they reached the final four.....

We should care if his grades were so poor that he was denied admission to a lesser institution just a few weeks ago.  It's not like the kid has had time to show a track record of sustained improvement.  As for the Final Four, the Wade Factor.  It was very unique, even historic.  Jamel Jackson is not and will not be Dwyane Wade.  Buzz' big academic risk for the incoming class is Maymon, and he already demonstrated a commitment to the books by skipping much of the summer circuit to strengthen his GPA -- part of the ground rules for him to play at Marquette.

if he has showed improvement and can help the team reach their goals then I'm all for it.  

Since Jackson was ruled ineligible at SHU on September 18, there's no way he's had the ability to demonstrate any commitment to academic improvement in this tight timeframe.

The exposure the team creates is well worth the risk, and based on our graduation rates I think our coaches and tutors could help the kid academically as well.

Again, the kid couldn't gain admission to a lesser academic institution just 42 days ago (after committing to them four months earlier).  Regardless, Jackson is clearly Plan D behind Colvin, Snaer and Wright.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 09:30:39 AM »
Didn't know it was just last month, thought he didn't qualify out of high school.  Not saying he is dwayne Wade, but when I entered MU in 97' the average ACT score was like 24, now I believe its 28 or 29.....so maybe the best professors make a impact on their lives, but its possible many of the top tier students wouldn't be there without the success of the basketball program.

So it is much different then Maymon or Byucks, I wasn't aware, so in this case it does sound risky....but my point is,for the most part, these guys should be given special privileges.