[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 01:57:59 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 11:23:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Lute Olson had a stroke  (Read 2896 times)

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Lute Olson had a stroke
« on: October 28, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
and is suffering from depression in the aftermath.....that explains plenty, wow

http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2008/10/28/lute-olson-suffering-from-depression/

DegenerateDish

• All American
Re: Lute Olson had a stroke
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 04:23:54 PM »
Sad to hear. I had a chance to watch an Arizona practice about 8 years ago in Tucson while my brother was there and met him very briefly. Nice guy, great coach. Hope he can battle through this, tough way to go out.

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 07:09:38 PM »
It would seem to me that Lute's doctor is definitely violating HIPAA laws by coming out with this information. 

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 08:02:59 PM »
He should have retired five years ago----coaching past the late 60s is asinine. Declining energy and acute memory limits ones effectiveness.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 08:12:12 PM »
Murf, the number of obvious responses you have opened yourself up for are limitless.   However, now is not the time.     Good Luck and God Bless to Coach Lute.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 10:54:53 PM »
Death of his first wife...
Stroke...
Divorce from his second wife...
Engagement to his soon-to-be third wife...
Depression...

I wish this man many good years ahead. That's a lot to deal with in about 7 years.

SS Marquette

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 09:19:52 AM »
It would seem to me that Lute's doctor is definitely violating HIPAA laws by coming out with this information. 

as if the information wouldn't be obtained eventually anyway.....  besides, maybe he had Olson's permission

furthermore, nothing like a little public service announcement....  strokes and depression are not always well-recognized.....

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 04:33:31 PM »
He should have retired five years ago----coaching past the late 60s is asinine. Declining energy and acute memory limits ones effectiveness.

Yup, because Joe Paterno is sure struggling this year... please give me a break.

Plenty of coaches in their 60's still succeed in college sports.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 05:00:18 PM »
Yup, because Joe Paterno is sure struggling this year... please give me a break.

Plenty of coaches in their 60's still succeed in college sports.

Its debatable how much influence Joe Pa has had in the success of Penn State this year. Much of credit needs to go to his assistants, especially his son Jay and Mike McQueary. Even with their success on the field, Penn State has had numerous ugly off-the-field incidents involving football players during the past couple of years.

Murf has a very valid point. Just like great players can hang on too long, it seems like many great coaches have the same problem.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 06:33:02 PM »
Paterno is having a great year this year-----but he's had quite a few lean seasons in the last 6-7 years. He's finally organized his staff to fill the void of the fnction that he filled in years gone by when he had similar success.

He's coaching the coaches now who in turn coach the players!

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 08:40:45 AM »
Plus he's kinda sold his soul to the devil for one last title. That school is in the police blotter of the Pennsylvania papers on a monthly basis. Typical Big Ten.

RedWebster

• Starter
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 08:47:59 AM »
"Lute Olson had a stroke"

So did we, but he's coaching Indiana now.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 08:57:44 AM »
Paterno is having a great year this year-----but he's had quite a few lean seasons in the last 6-7 years. He's finally organized his staff to fill the void of the fnction that he filled in years gone by when he had similar success.

He's coaching the coaches now who in turn coach the players!

Not to shoot down your premise, but Paterno's staff hasn't changed in 6 years, unless of course you are counting equipment managers and water boys as key staff.  While I think Paterno still has it(hurt his hip showing the kicker how to do an onside kick for godsake, doesn't coach though??), I also think he is an extremely rare exception.  I think coaching into your 60s isn't a problem if you are in good shape, etc.  However, if you start to have medical issues like a stroke that probably indicates its time to go.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."