[Today at 11:23:04 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 08:37:46 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What has surprised you most (for better or worse) about this year's team (so far)?

Oso's development into a legit stud
65 (39.2%)
The Freshmen contribution (individually or collectively)
20 (12%)
Shaka's inability to close out close games
9 (5.4%)
Kam's development as a scorer all over the floor
22 (13.3%)
Keeyan's walk-on status
7 (4.2%)
MU's O significantly outshining it's D
37 (22.3%)
Other (write in)
6 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 166

Author Topic: Biggest Surprise  (Read 9522 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Biggest Surprise
« Reply #150 on: December 30, 2022, 09:52:02 AM »
I know this is a joke.

But if you want what the NCAA will give us as to the NET ranking calculations.

"Team Value Index"- (way to give more value to difficult wins, no clue what it means seems like a, "big win bonus")
"Net Efficiency"- (basically KenPom, even down to .475*FTA being a part of the tempo)
Winning Percentage
Adjusted Win Percentage (1.4 wins per road win, 0.6 wins per home win, 0.6 losses per road loss, -1.4 losses per home loss)
Scoring Margin (This value has a point differential capped at 10 points in each game. All overtime games are capped at one point.)

And then this some weird multiplication. no one is privy too.

https://www.si.com/college/2018/11/04/college-basketball-rankings-net-system-explain

Not a joke. Your source is from 2018. I think two years later it was revised, and the scoring margin (as well as other components) were scrapped. Please research & confirm for me. I’m not 100% certain, except that I definitely do not know how to calc N.E.T…. But I do believe your component list to be #FakeNews & #Lies
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #151 on: December 30, 2022, 10:03:11 AM »
Not a joke. Your source is from 2018. I think two years later it was revised, and the scoring margin (as well as other components) were scrapped. Please research & confirm for me. I’m not 100% certain, except that I definitely do not know how to calc N.E.T…. But I do believe your component list to be #FakeNews & #Lies

I must have missed that. Honestly they don't even have to give anyone actual data.

Seems like its two components now the "Team Value Index" (which just sounds like BS, to favor big conferences and big wins)  and an adjusted net efficiency rating.

So the NET is just now 1/2 KenPom and 1/2 whatever the NCAA wants (seems like they put win percentage inside of the
Team Value index, though I wouldn't be surprised if margin is in there too even thought it would be redundant to KenPom).

« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 10:40:59 AM by jfp61 »

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #152 on: December 30, 2022, 10:33:48 AM »
My biggest surprise is that I think this is the best team we've had in over a decade. I wasn't as down on the team as most were since I didn't think losing Lewis was going to set them back at all, but I didn't expect this much development from everyone.

As far as not being able to win close games goes, I've thought about each game individually and don't think there's much to it yet. I'd be more concerned if we had the same record and were instead 7-4 in close games. Other than the 4 losses, MU has won the other 10 games by double digits. That includes 5 wins over high majors and 2 of those wins are by 20+. There's no "we should have won that game, but also got really lucky in that other game so it evens out." If a few balls had bounced our way, MU would very solidly be in the Top 10 right now.

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #153 on: December 30, 2022, 10:36:24 AM »
I think Omax has been a big surprise. I was not a big fan last year other than I love him out in front on the pressure defense. Last year he was just so out of control on offense.  I would wince when he would drive or be the guy trying to finish the break.  This year he still seems to be playing a bit out of control on offense but the results are dramatically different to my eye. Now he just needs to learn to stay on his feet so when he misses we aren’t playing 4 on 5 and improve his 3 point shooting a tad.  Like I say I wasn’t that big of a fan last year but I have been convinced so far this year.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #154 on: December 30, 2022, 11:49:56 AM »
I think Omax has been a big surprise. I was not a big fan last year other than I love him out in front on the pressure defense. Last year he was just so out of control on offense.  I would wince when he would drive or be the guy trying to finish the break.  This year he still seems to be playing a bit out of control on offense but the results are dramatically different to my eye. Now he just needs to learn to stay on his feet so when he misses we aren’t playing 4 on 5 and improve his 3 point shooting a tad.  Like I say I wasn’t that big of a fan last year but I have been convinced so far this year.

Agree Hoops92.  This is my biggest surprise.  Many were convinced he was the key to the success of this team and I was skeptical.  I have been pleasantly surprised at how his drives have been under more control, he can finish with either hand at the basket, and finish through contact.  His three point shot also seems better to me.  The game has slowed down for him for sure. I’ve been very impressed so far.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #155 on: December 30, 2022, 12:01:00 PM »
There is no doubt that Omax was more out of control last season, but he showed a ton of signs that he was a very skilled player. The things, aside from defense, that caught my eye was that he was capable of getting a defensive rebound or steal and take it coast to coast. Plus, I was beyond impressed last season that he was equally as skilled with both hands. To be honest, I think he has much more upside and it starts with his outside shooting. I steal believe that he is the key for team success this season. He has a big time, athletic body and a skilled player.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #156 on: December 30, 2022, 12:05:44 PM »
OMax and Kam hit the kill shots against UW and PC and Shaka's endgame coaching is lauded on here.

This stuff is really overrated by fans, especially at the college level. Yes, there are tactical adjustments involved, but the head coach is there to communicate clearly and keep the players calm in those situations. It's up to them to make the shots.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #157 on: December 30, 2022, 12:37:20 PM »
Truth is, there have been several really nice surprises so far this season - the development of Oso and Kam, TK's improvement, Omax's improvement, etc. But, to me, there are two things that stand out. First, the ball does not stop on offense anymore like it frequently did last season. Everyone can pass and is looking for an open man. Second, the help defense is much  better than last year. It still breaks down at times, but is much improved.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #158 on: December 30, 2022, 12:56:10 PM »
Guys, if Marquette almost blows a 12 point lead in the last 3 minutes tomorrow and wins by 1 will that make you feel better about winning close games?

Depends who you ask.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #159 on: December 30, 2022, 12:56:46 PM »

The movement on offense has been awesome to watch. There have been times when I thought a great shot was passed up and they end up with a better one. I also agree that Kolek, who I am a big fan of, has improved across the board. When I saw him in the preseason he looked physically bigger and stronger, and it shows on the court.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #160 on: December 30, 2022, 02:42:07 PM »
Depends who you ask.

It was a sarcastic question. I think the bigger focus is minimizing the longer scoring droughts, which we’ve seen in those close losses as well as in some of the double-digit wins.

Those have happened in the same game and not solely at the end of games but obviously when they contribute to a blown lead in the last 5-10 minutes of a game that’s where the attention goes.

They’re still going to happen but you find a way to cut the frequency and duration and you have a little more margin for error.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #161 on: December 30, 2022, 04:32:23 PM »
And yet we haven’t done it yet this year. It takes a different mentality and strategy to win back and forth close games then blow outs.
I rather win by blowouts.
Goal is National Championship

Goose

• All American
« Reply #162 on: December 30, 2022, 04:40:59 PM »
Vander

They have had scoring droughts even in their wins. A lot has to do with the guys on the court and they will figure it out. I am not overly concerned about their ability to score a lot of points.

panda

• All American
« Reply #163 on: December 30, 2022, 04:42:59 PM »
I rather win by blowouts.

And I like to drink expensive Bourdeaux but unfortunately I can’t do that every night.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2022, 04:44:43 PM »
  First, the ball does not stop on offense anymore like it frequently did last season. Everyone can pass and is looking for an open man.

Lewis was an outstanding player, Morsell was a very good one. Moving the basketball was not a strength for either.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #165 on: December 30, 2022, 04:49:48 PM »
And I like to drink expensive Bourdeaux but unfortunately I can’t do that every night.

You could
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #166 on: December 30, 2022, 04:50:17 PM »
Vander

They have had scoring droughts even in their wins. A lot has to do with the guys on the court and they will figure it out. I am not overly concerned about their ability to score a lot of points.

Agreed, said exactly that regarding the droughts during the wins in my post. Like you I’m not too worried about it at this point.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #167 on: December 30, 2022, 04:51:35 PM »
Seriously, if we did it every night we would be undefeated and #1. Vino choice / year? Let's see if we agree.

panda

• All American
« Reply #168 on: December 30, 2022, 04:51:42 PM »
You could

I need to mix in overrated Cab’s from time to time to keep me honest.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #169 on: December 30, 2022, 04:57:28 PM »
I need to mix in overrated Cab’s from time to time to keep me honest.

Add a few Malbec’s to really dumpster dive
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

panda

• All American
« Reply #170 on: December 30, 2022, 04:58:31 PM »
Seriously, if we did it every night we would be undefeated and #1. Vino choice / year? Let's see if we agree.

Best I’ve ever had was a ‘96 chateau margaux. Generous friend with a passion for French wine.

Favorite “everyday” is chateau biac. Just delicious.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #171 on: December 30, 2022, 07:18:12 PM »
Best I’ve ever had was a ‘96 chateau margaux. Generous friend with a passion for French wine.

Favorite “everyday” is chateau biac. Just delicious.
Nice, do a budget for every night, doable (sorry legs)