[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The rich get richer  (Read 8041 times)

KCmastapeace

• Walk-On
The rich get richer
« on: May 19, 2009, 09:38:45 AM »
Calipari and Kentucky just got a verbal from the #1 player in the 2009 class in John Wall.  In short time Calipari has assembled one of the best recruiting classes of all time.  Will all these young guns be able to put their ego's aside and win a championship as freshman??

nyg

• All American
Re: The rich get richer
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 09:42:57 AM »
If Patrick Patterson (I doubt) and Jodie Meeks return, then for sure they would contend and probably be #1 ranked team. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 09:45:58 AM »
Calipari and Kentucky just got a verbal from the #1 player in the 2009 class in John Wall.  In short time Calipari has assembled one of the best recruiting classes of all time.  Will all these young guns be able to put their ego's aside and win a championship as freshman??

Wall has some legal issues he needs to overcome first.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 09:56:36 AM »
Patterson is coming back.  So, yes again.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 10:09:39 AM »
It certainly helps that he was able to use two recruiting budgets to accomplish the feat.  Wall was high on Memphis until Calipari left.  Not to say it's not a great class, and I'm not saying he did anything "wrong," but I think the statement has to be qualified.  "Calipari, using the results of Gillespi's recruiting as well as his own recruiting while coach at Memphis in addition to the recruiting he has done since being hired at Kentucky, has assembled one of the best recruiting classes of all time."

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 10:30:55 AM »
Wall has some legal issues he needs to overcome first.
They don't sound serious.  Probably end up with community service requirement.  Nothing like Larry Bradley of Tosa East.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 12:05:11 PM »

Kentucky hasn't been all that rich of late.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 02:18:02 PM »
Wall really wanted to play for UNC but Roy never offered him a scholarship and after his recent arrest for breaking and entering any chances of being a Tar Heel were finished. He has a "handler" named Brian Clifton who was his AAU coach and a real hanger on that Roy refused to deal with which resulted in Clifton being very outspoken in his dislike of Roy. Clifton was trying to push him to Duke who had offered him a schollie. The kid just took his SAT in the last few weeks and no one is even sure he will be a qualifier at most schools.

With Wall on board, UK would currently sit over committed by either 3 or 4 scholarships. It will be interesting to see how Calipari resolves that one and how many good kids are squeezed out of scholarships.

Calipari's legacy of recruiting of "one and done's" is unrivaled.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 03:04:30 PM »
The big question is will Calipari be able to follow in the great tradition of Rupp, Hall, Pitino, Smith and Gillespie and lose to MU in the NCAAs.

Eddie Sutton is the only UK coach since 1930 to avoid our wrath...ironically he beat us in the 1993 Dance
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 03:08:34 PM »
Most of these kids have egos that are HUGE.

But fortunately for UK fans and Calipari, the Kentucky tradition is bigger.

Wall's a haul for UK!
SS Marquette

schubert33

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 04:04:25 PM »

Wall was #5 overall.  He was the number 1 player remaining unsigned.  Still a very good get obviously...

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 08:05:22 AM »
Have any of you guys seen him play?  He is the best HS player I have ever seen, better than Derrick Rose or tyreke Evans, better than MAyo.  The kid is absolutley unbeleivable and will be NBA rookie of the year and an immediate all star it is amazing how good this kid is.  Collge is a waste of time for him, but those are the rules.  he would probably be better off going to europe, he is too good for college ball.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 09:04:03 AM »
Wall was #5 overall.  He was the number 1 player remaining unsigned.  Still a very good get obviously...

Not exactly. Only ESPN had him #5 overall, and their rankings are dubious at best since they let Bob Gibbons go and hired a bunch of guys that have never done rankings before.

Scout's updated rankings have Wall at #2 overall.  Prepstars updated rankings have Wall at #3 overall.  Rivals updated rankings have Wall at #1 overall.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 09:20:38 AM »
Have any of you guys seen him play?  He is the best HS player I have ever seen, better than Derrick Rose or tyreke Evans, better than MAyo.  The kid is absolutley unbeleivable and will be NBA rookie of the year and an immediate all star it is amazing how good this kid is.  Collge is a waste of time for him, but those are the rules.  he would probably be better off going to europe, he is too good for college ball.

College is never a waste of time.  I have found that in H.S., many kids look to be fantastic players, we will see how he does in college.  Brandon Jennings thought Europe was a good idea, I don't think he enjoyed it that much, I am sure he would have much rather gone to college, but who knows.

Besides, where have you seen him play, besides stupid YouTube mixtapes that show nothing.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 09:56:54 AM »
i'm pretty sure he'd rather have one million dollars than spend one year in college.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 12:17:39 PM »
College is never a waste of time.  I have found that in H.S., many kids look to be fantastic players, we will see how he does in college.  Brandon Jennings thought Europe was a good idea, I don't think he enjoyed it that much, I am sure he would have much rather gone to college, but who knows.

Besides, where have you seen him play, besides stupid YouTube mixtapes that show nothing.

wow good post.....yes i guess we will see. 

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 12:38:51 PM »
Regardless of how great John Wall is among players like Rose and Evans, he is going to a team in Kentucky that is going to be absolutely stacked next year.  Their recruiting class this year is unreal, not a chance MU has the top recruiting class when Kentucky is pulling in Wall, Cousins, Orton, Hood and Bledsoe as 5/4 star recruits and Dodson as a 3 star recruit.  Add them with Patterson and Meeks (if he decides to stay)... they are going to be unreal next year.  Its the second coming of a Fab Five, with Wall being Jalen Rose, Cousins as Webber, Orton as Howard... and then Hood and Bledsoe being King and Jackson.  I'm excited for this team.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 12:54:18 PM »
Calipari will find a way to screw it up. Just watch.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 09:37:19 PM »
Calipari will find a way to screw it up. Just watch.

I think they are at least 3 schollies over the limit.  This could get VERY interesting!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 09:49:59 PM »
I think they are at least 3 schollies over the limit.  This could get VERY interesting!

Not so much. I'm pretty sure the 3 that are leaving have a pretty good idea on their situation.  They arent Calipari's guys...it will be easy to get rid of who he doent want around.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 09:53:09 PM »

I'm willing to bet Brandon Jennings is OK with his decision. He made a couple million $ between his salary and his shoe deal with Under Armour.  Now he is positioned to be a lottery pick.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 10:14:50 PM »

Not so much. I'm pretty sure the 3 that are leaving have a pretty good idea on their situation.  They arent Calipari's guys...it will be easy to get rid of who he doent want around.

Who are they?  I know Meeks is debating on the NBA...?  Who are the others?  What is their situation?  Why is it so "easy" to get rid of the non-Calipari guys?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

bma725

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009, 10:57:14 PM »
Who are they?  I know Meeks is debating on the NBA...?  Who are the others?  What is their situation?  Why is it so "easy" to get rid of the non-Calipari guys?

Mike Williams is already gone, which opens up one spot.  AJ Stewart was supposedly told earlier this week that he was out as well.  But that wasn't really a surprise given that BCG had twice kicked him off the team only to be forced by the AD to take him back.  In all likelihood Deandre Liggins is gone either because he'll be academically ineligible or because Cal doesn't want him and his attitude around the new players...then again Gillispie wasn't particularly happy with him either.  That opens three spots, which is all they need if Meeks stays in the draft.

If he doesn't, there's a number of names UK fans are tossing out for the fourth scholarship.  Perry Stephenson, Kevin Galloway, or Josh Harrelson are the most common.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 12:54:24 PM »

I dont know each "situation"...but I am sure they do.

We constantly speculate on guys, as do most fans.  Fact is...the players and coaches know whats up, and that is all that matters.  (Mbakwe is an obvious expection)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 10:47:45 AM by GOMU1104 »

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2009, 10:41:14 AM »
Calipari recruits well because he's a "players coach"------those types recruit real well, but underachieve their talent.