'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Similar Teams  (Read 1467 times)

the eagle

• Scholarship Player
Similar Teams
« on: December 31, 2010, 02:16:30 AM »
It seems like one common theme the past few seasons is that while MU struggles with beating highly ranked (aka highly skilled) teams, they almost always put up a great fight, making them, IMO, one of the most competitive programs in the country.  This program does not get blown out, and can walk into any program in the country and make a game out of it (yes, I know any school can beat anyone...that's the love of college basketball...but perhaps not as consistent as MU's attempts).  While many consider the team this year to be slightly weaker than previous years, this team still carries that drive with them into every game.  They have built a reputation...not only with opposing teams, but fans, bloggers, and bball experts as well....as being a team you simply do not ever want to see on your schedule.  I remember reading on a Duke blog prior to our game against them someone saying "Is it just me or does anyone else really hate playing Marquette?"

What are other teams comparable to MU in regards to this trait (ignoring the Kansas' and Duke's of the world)?  What are some similarities and differences when compared to MU?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Similar Teams
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 02:23:34 AM »
Could it be our emphasis on playing defense.  Seems to me that we focus on it more than the TYPICAL college team.

MountainCreekHouse

• Starter
  • Danktatoes
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 02:39:29 AM »
I'm going to be totally honest MU really sucks this season... buycks is terrible
Farva:"Give me six Schlitzes."
O'Hagan: "Take it easy, Rod."
Farva: "Open bar, dude!"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 06:39:15 AM »
I'm going to be totally honest MU really sucks this season... buycks is terrible
Oh Oh, another Buycks detractor. Everybody wake up and start calling names like moron, etc. Because after all, we all know better than a walk on poster. Kind of like the federal gvt. elites know much more than us country bumpkins.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 08:33:18 AM »

Yes. Just awful.

PPG -- 10
APG -- 4.7
RPG -- 3.7
3P% -- 34.7%
A/T -- 1.9/1
STL -- 1.7

That's more points, assists, rebounds, and steals than either Cubillan or Acker averaged last year. Granted, his A/T ratio and 3-point percentage aren't as high, but he's a natural slashing point guard playing out of position. Buycks has been one of our best players this year. It's an easy bandwagon to jump on, detracting Buycks, but he's actually been very good.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 08:45:17 AM »
As much as people on here don't like buycks, I for one would hate to see what we would look like without him. Give the kid a break already. Hes erratic at times but he really hasn't been playing that awful at all. It's a new year. Maybe some of you need to reexamine what you're actually watching. It seems like you are blinded by your hate for him to even give the kid a chance when he does do well.

We've been spoiled by acker (even though most that hate buycks probably hated him too), dj, and denier. Some forget who we had bringing the ball up the floor when these guys were either hurt or not on the team. Some of you need to sack up and grow up already. 90% of the posts on this board make me want to punch through the xo
Outer screen

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 09:04:23 AM »
Oh Oh, another Buycks detractor. Everybody wake up and start calling names like moron, etc. Because after all, we all know better than a walk on poster. Kind of like the federal gvt. elites know much more than us country bumpkins.

willie, the problem lies on the fact, that no one has any evidence that "Buycks sucks".

its just the stupid person's meme around here.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 09:06:21 AM »
I never said Buycks sucks--others have. I just do not believe that he is a PG, as many others do.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 09:18:44 AM »
They have built a reputation...not only with opposing teams, but fans, bloggers, and bball experts as well....as being a team you simply do not ever want to see on your schedule.

That "reputation" might be right in theory, but in practice, if you are a top 50 team, you love seeing MU on your schedule.

Why?  Because playing MU is an RPI booster with a high chance of victory.  MU loses about 2/3rds of its games versus Top 50 teams. 

2010-2011 0-4 now .. Projected 4-10 by rpiforecast.
2009-       3-8
2008-       6-7
2007-       5-10
2006-       7-8

(I imagine the numbers would be different for RPI 50 and above .. so indeed, if your team is headed for the NIT, you probably fear MU quite a bit.)

nomorebuycks

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 07:01:09 PM »
That "reputation" might be right in theory, but in practice, if you are a top 50 team, you love seeing MU on your schedule.

Why?  Because playing MU is an RPI booster with a high chance of victory.  MU loses about 2/3rds of its games versus Top 50 teams. 

2010-2011 0-4 now .. Projected 4-10 by rpiforecast.
2009-       3-8
2008-       6-7
2007-       5-10
2006-       7-8

(I imagine the numbers would be different for RPI 50 and above .. so indeed, if your team is headed for the NIT, you probably fear MU quite a bit.)

That's exactly it.  Play MU and you get a good workout but really don't have to worry about losing the game.  MU is the perfect sparring partner.

feedback