[Today at 10:36:59 AM]

MU appearance in The Athletic's college hoops mailbag by zcg2013
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Skatastrophy
[May 07, 2024, 07:21:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Dawson Rental
[May 07, 2024, 06:51:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: John Oliver - Stadiums (Bucks mention)  (Read 3546 times)

jesmu84

• All American
John Oliver - Stadiums (Bucks mention)
« on: July 13, 2015, 12:26:45 PM »
Seems relevant. Also features the Bucks

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xcwJt4bcnXs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xcwJt4bcnXs</a>

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: John Oliver - Stadiums (Bucks mention)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 05:22:49 PM »
Oliver has it right. The Milwaukee Bucks talk starts around 9:24.

Dodds site is all over this issue; i am guessing any negative views will get one banned!

The reality is that stadia are not financially sound investments for the community.

Death on call

brandx

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 05:41:24 PM »
Teams continue to shakedown states and cities simply because they can. If Milwaukee and Wisconsin don't come through, someone else will.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 06:34:41 PM »
Teams continue to shakedown states and cities simply because they can. If Milwaukee and Wisconsin don't come through, someone else will.

It's interesting that Seattle has an investor who will foot the bill.

Death on call

brandx

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 07:07:35 PM »
It's interesting that Seattle has an investor who will foot the bill.

Some of that MS cash?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 10:15:26 PM »
I agreed with everything Oliver said and laughed at much of it.

One thing he didn't mention, however, was the shell game cities/counties/states use to finance stadiums.

Phoenix applies an X% tax on car rentals and hotel rooms to pay for stadiums. Voters like that, because they don't have to pay it ... unless they travel to Chicago or Miami or Philadelphia or Detroit or St. Louis or any of the other places that do the same thing.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 10:58:12 PM »
The money is there from the business sector and private investors.  Not something the public should be using. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 02:21:17 PM »
I hate to say it, but I see no other way to stem this unless professional sports were to be regulated... otherwise, sh|t like this is going to continue to spiral out of control.

A holographic replay system?  Bangladesh will have an NFL team before the Bengals get a holographic replay system.

States already license and regulate boxing and the other BTSOH sports... why not regulate football, basketball, hockey and baseball too?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 02:36:19 PM »
At the end of the day it's an arms race.  A city can put its foot down and say no, and the team can just move on down the road to another city willing to pay for it.  Until every major city refuses to play the game this will always happen.

Ironically it's basically a prisoner's dilemma game theory only with the cities not acting rationally.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brandx

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 02:38:25 PM »
I hate to say it, but I see no other way to stem this unless professional sports were to be regulated... otherwise, sh|t like this is going to continue to spiral out of control.

A holographic replay system?  Bangladesh will have an NFL team before the Bengals get a holographic replay system.

States already license and regulate boxing and the other BTSOH sports... why not regulate football, basketball, hockey and baseball too?

And this will happen how?

BTW, I agree with what you say.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 02:21:35 PM »
And this will happen how?

Well, start with getting the IRS to start eliminating any tax exemptions for stadia bond financing.

Beyond that, considering that the major professional sports leagues are essentially cartels, it seems like the most logical next step would be to get the FTC involved.

Then get the states to fall in line by tying the whole thing to state highway funding.

All of this has been done before... you just need someone brave enough to take on the pro sports leagues.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 06:11:35 PM »
Has anyone on Scoop sat down and figured out what the new arena will cost them personally in additional taxes?
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 08:10:54 PM »
$1.69, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 11:28:51 PM »
$1.69, hey?

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter. Let's ignore the deficit and assume that $400M was going to be spent. What is the likelihood that any one of us would have seen a $1 of economic benefit? Is the community benefiting? No, but it's not like they were going to put money back in taxpayers pockets if they turned down the deal.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 09:37:34 AM »
Only $1.69?  Excellent.   I'll also vote to spend $1.69 to restore all budget cuts to the UW system, and another $1.69 for K-12 education, and $1.69 (less!) for raising $100m for the repair projects for the park system. 

If we all spent $1.69 could we get the Zoo Interchange done?  Would $2 make it go faster, because that'd be super.  If it's only $1.69, I'll throw in for the trolley system too, because why not.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2015, 10:29:27 AM »
The budget cut at UW and the funds made available for the Bucks arena are mutually exclusive of one another. Scratch didn't get shifted from one to another. Raise tuition if more bread is needed at the universities. Hell, it's the best deal goin' in higher education around here, hey?
I'm willin' to stick our necks out for the arena. I see value, benefit for the city, and personal enjoyment for the building and surroundin' area. As for the trolley, we all need that like a chancre on our junk, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2015, 10:50:52 AM »
The amount of the state's obligation for the new arena is something like $4 million per year for 20 years.  The state cut the UW System $125M each of the next two years.  4ever is right.  You cannot equate the two.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 11:04:56 AM »
Only $1.69?  Excellent.   I'll also vote to spend $1.69 to restore all budget cuts to the UW system, and another $1.69 for K-12 education, and $1.69 (less!) for raising $100m for the repair projects for the park system. 

If we all spent $1.69 could we get the Zoo Interchange done?  Would $2 make it go faster, because that'd be super.  If it's only $1.69, I'll throw in for the trolley system too, because why not.

It's only $1.69 for 4ever.  It'd be much more if it weren't for all the off-shorin' and tax-shelterin.