* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Elonsmusk
[Today at 08:19:42 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette & '09 WI HS recruits  (Read 10029 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Marquette & '09 WI HS recruits
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2008, 01:28:45 PM »

While I agree about your system comments, UW doesn't have any five stars on the roster now, and just a few four stars. (Leuer, Bohannon, Nankivil, etc.)

Yes but last year they had Butch, and he was a 5 star player

jce

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2008, 01:32:05 PM »
Niv---Over the past 20y MU has recruited top 75-150 players to the program. I can say with pretty much confidence that over the past 15y you could field a top 40 team in the country with 50% WI players.

Wisconsin, especially Milwaukee, has turned out a slew of D1 players. MU or UW have benefited as well as a ton of other schools. KO put together a sweet sixteen team with one recruiting class out of WI.

I believe too many people underestimate the ball talent locally. I know people can argue that some inner city kids might not make the grade at MU, but that does not diminish the talent level.

Recruiting at home is tougher than recruiting 700 miles from home. Schools like Duke, NC, UCLA and Kanseas can recruit around the country because of reputation. MU will more likely than not only get top 75-100 players from outside the area. UNLESS WE GET JAMIL WILSON---then our reputation changes nationally.

Even getting Jamil Wilson will not change that reputation.  To some from the outside, that may just mean a kid wanted to stay near home.

Now, pulling in a couple top 20 prospects from out of the state...*that* will change a reputation.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2008, 01:37:06 PM »
JCE---It gets easier once you get the first stud. Recruiting better players starts with recruiting a stud. Better teams get better players, plain and simple. Getting Lacy and Wilson makes us better.

Again, the talent pool locally is deep. MU does not always recruit everyone because of grades which I think is a mistake. National recruiting is done when you are a nationally recognized program.

MU in Miami

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2008, 02:04:04 PM »
National recruiting is done when you are a nationally recognized program.

We cetainly were nationally recognized the last three years by ranking and we will very likely be a top 25 program the coming year. 

Locals like Lacy and Wilson know the impact that MU's final four team had on the university and the downtown area over the last few years.  They have a chance to contribute to the program and area's success--hopefully that will factor in their decisions.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 02:09:44 PM by MU in Miami »

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2008, 02:37:30 PM »
Quote from: THEGYMBAR on Today at 12:57:22 PM
Over the past 20y MU has recruited top 75-150 players to the program. I can say with pretty much confidence that over the past 15y you could field a top 40 team in the country with 50% WI players.

you think so?  That is amazing. There are 50 states and wisconsin is the 20th largest and you think that they could put together a top 40 team?  With 'pretty much confidence'?  It must really be a basketball mecca. 
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 02:41:13 PM by RawdogDX »

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2008, 02:45:55 PM »
Rawdog---What difference does size of State have to do with things? Flat out Milwaukee and WI has produced a ton of D1 players over the past two decades.

Nothing to argue or dispute. If MU wanted to recruit marginal students they could be Top 40 or higher most years with 50% WI kids. Look at TC's FF team. How many WI kids on that team were impact players?

Robert Jackson
Steve Novak
Travis Diener
Scott Merrit

I know, I know DWADE...but as I said 50% WI kids and you can win. Last two runs by MU in NCAA were KO and sweet sixteen with WI kids and FF team with WI kids.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2008, 02:49:24 PM »
MU Miami--Top 25 does not make you nationally recognized. Top 10 for a period of time makes you recognized. MU in the 1970's was close to ground zero in hoops. We could recruit anywhere against anyone with exception of possibly UCLA.

We are not close to be at that level currently. The hire of Buzz makes signing of Wilson that much bigger. The hire was a "no splash" hire nationally. Getting McDonald's All-Americans is a splash.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2008, 02:57:03 PM »
Rawdog---What difference does size of State have to do with things? Flat out Milwaukee and WI has produced a ton of D1 players over the past two decades.

Nothing to argue or dispute. If MU wanted to recruit marginal students they could be Top 40 or higher most years with 50% WI kids. Look at TC's FF team. How many WI kids on that team were impact players?

Robert Jackson
Steve Novak
Travis Diener
Scott Merrit

I know, I know DWADE...but as I said 50% WI kids and you can win. Last two runs by MU in NCAA were KO and sweet sixteen with WI kids and FF team with WI kids.

I wasn't disagreeing with you.  The point was that any state of significant size can put together '50% of a top 40 team'.  How is that even a high goal to you?  Top 40 team?  making up 50%?  That could be said about pretty much any state not in the bottom five of population (by the way population matters because athletes are people and thus more people generally means more athletes).  
But, just keep patting yourself on the back because wisco produces 'a ton of D1 players over the last two decades.' ... just like everywhere else.  Talk about a Napoleon complex.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2008, 03:09:26 PM »
Rawdog---Firstly, Wisconsin is in upper third for producing D1 players. Obviously population counts, but 20y ago with comparable population we did not generate as many D1 players. The inner city schools have improved the coaching and the AAU teams have helped improve the talent.

Top 40 program is pretty much what every school outside of Duke, Kansas, NC and UCLA hope to be. Top 40 means some years you are top 10 and bad year you are top 40. Kentucky and AZ were top 40 this year. I would gladly take their position in bball world.

My point is simple. Recruiting at home is easier than recruiting away from home. If we focused on the area and got the top couple kids in the state every year we would be way ahead of the curve.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2008, 03:26:24 PM »
Michigan is a good academic univ, and that has never stopped them from offering any athlete with a pulse.  USC is the same way.  Let's not confuse good academic university with athletic admissions.

Please see UW-Madison and Ron Dayne, Moss, etc as examples A & B

sorry, UW ain't Baylor.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2008, 03:37:20 PM »
sorry, UW ain't Baylor.

No, it sure isn't.   ;)  75 for Baylor and UW-Madison at 38

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1natudoc_brief.php

Just looking at the top 100 schools, with the exception of Stanford and to some degree UCLA, most of them make considerable allowances for athletes to come into their school where if they were part of the general population, not a chance in hell.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2008, 03:52:56 PM »
Rawdog---Firstly, Wisconsin is in upper third for producing D1 players. Obviously population counts, but 20y ago with comparable population we did not generate as many D1 players. The inner city schools have improved the coaching and the AAU teams have helped improve the talent.

Top 40 program is pretty much what every school outside of Duke, Kansas, NC and UCLA hope to be. Top 40 means some years you are top 10 and bad year you are top 40. Kentucky and AZ were top 40 this year. I would gladly take their position in bball world.

My point is simple. Recruiting at home is easier than recruiting away from home. If we focused on the area and got the top couple kids in the state every year we would be way ahead of the curve.

1) top third almong states? so like 17th?  ok, sure, go throw a parade or something.  And way to act like this is a fact when you are guessing.

as for the rest. Yes it's easier to recurit people close to you. Yes, if we got most of the top prospects from any state and combined them with a few key peices from other states we'd be an above average to good team.  wow, that is deep man do you have a pod cast or anything?  ;D

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2008, 04:05:44 PM »
No, it sure isn't.   ;)  75 for Baylor and UW-Madison at 38

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1natudoc_brief.php

Just looking at the top 100 schools, with the exception of Stanford and to some degree UCLA, most of them make considerable allowances for athletes to come into their school where if they were part of the general population, not a chance in hell.

and so, since MU is not ranked by useless news and world report, UW is a tougher school for athletes to get into etc etc etc?

::)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2008, 04:22:52 PM »
and so, since MU is not ranked by useless news and world report, UW is a tougher school for athletes to get into etc etc etc?

::)

Uhm, no...that's my point....UW-Madison and most other top 100 schools make a ton of exceptions for athletes.  So whether you're Baylor or MU or UW-Madison, usually doesn't much matter depending on how willing the school is going to go.  Many times it's a case by case scenario.

My point was simply that if Baylor offered the kid, that doesn't necessarily mean anything because even though Baylor is a good school for the general population, it doesn't usually mean much when it comes to athletes.  They're going to make exceptions if they feel it is worth it.  UW-Madison, MU, etc are all the same.  On the same token, just because Baylor would offer, doesn't mean MU would if MU thought that risk wasn't worth it.

For the record, I'm not a big fan of those rankings either, but when you said Baylor is no UW-Madison, that seemed a bit off.  For most folks, UW-Madison is considered a better academic institution then Baylor.  But even UW-Madison has shown that they will let folks like Brent Moss, Ron Dayne, etc into their institution, people that were at a 5th grade reading level.

PS  Marquette was ranked 82nd.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2008, 04:54:47 PM »
Baylor University
FRESHMAN-COHORT GRADUATION RATES
Student-Athlete Graduation Success Rate 87%

University of Wisconsin, Madison
FRESHMAN-COHORT GRADUATION RATES
Student-Athlete Graduation Success Rate 78%

Marquette University
Student-Athlete Graduation Success Rate 95%

my point is that Baylor is a fine academic university that appears to be more concerned about their student-athlete success rates (like an MU) and therefor, I would gather, scrutinize a scholar-athlete's ability to meet the educational demands as part of the recruiting process.
UW, while ranked highly for their research, many programs, whatever, certainly doesn't seem to have those same scruples.
MU seems to share that sentiment with a school like Baylor-

so-
if Baylor is confident enough to offer with their expectations for a student-athlete to succeed, I would gather that MU might certainly be as comfortable.

whatever academic shortcomings he may have that would prompt you to write he'd bess start hitting the books is apparently not a concern for an institution that appears to value the athletes' academic success.

dennycrane

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2008, 05:10:26 PM »

Actually, I have heard he's a pretty good guy...just has some classroom issues.

A year ago there were many posters who would not have wanted to touch Maymon. He has both academic and character issues. Has been suspended from school in the past. I don't know what to think of his father.

A coach with more experience and stature may be able to handle taking Maymon.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 05:16:27 PM by dennycrane »

MU in Miami

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2008, 05:49:04 PM »
Top 25 does not make you nationally recognized. Top 10 for a period of time makes you recognized.

I agree with you to some degree, but I think I need a more concrete definition of national recognition.  Are we regarded in the same way as UCLA--no, but it's an unfair comparison.  It might be unfair comparison for any other program period.  We have a top ranked program, the polls acknowledge this, and the ranking has been fairly consistent.  We compete in an elite division and the games are on national TV.  When I can catch regular season games on local CBS here (and see repeats on ESPN-U), I would think the program has some recognition.

It might be anomalous experience because of Dwyane, but I always get a kick out of seeing Marquette gear at the AAA....and non-alums wearing it.  We have some profile & it's not a bad one.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2008, 06:03:51 PM »
MU in Miami--Agreed on your post. We are nationally recognized but a couple of sweet 16 appearances will take that bar higher. The problem as I see is that MU is 2nd tier in elite conference. We need to get top three in BE for a couple of years.

Rawdog--Sorry if I have pissed you, not really sure why stating my opinion has caused you to get pissed off. I stand by my comments. I think any MU fan should be happy that we have D1 talent locally. Confused on how or why that would be a point to diasgree on.

Again, MU's last two real runs in NCAA had alot of WI on the team.

hoops12

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2008, 08:09:26 PM »
"While I agree about your system comments, UW doesn't have any five stars on the roster now, and just a few four stars. (Leuer, Bohannon, Nankivil, etc.)"

On Wisconsin's current roster they have six four star players. That's basically half of their roster!
    - Landry, Krabbenhoft, Hughes, Bohannon, Leuer and Nankovil.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2008, 12:21:04 AM »
Arizona State being on that report is a joke...

They accept anyone, take anyone, and isn't a good school...

I would put any 4 year Wisconsin school against the bottom part of that report.

Florida St is also a joke as of what I am told.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

jce

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2008, 07:52:43 AM »
"While I agree about your system comments, UW doesn't have any five stars on the roster now, and just a few four stars. (Leuer, Bohannon, Nankivil, etc.)"

On Wisconsin's current roster they have six four star players. That's basically half of their roster!
    - Landry, Krabbenhoft, Hughes, Bohannon, Leuer and Nankovil.

OK...I'll man-up and throw up the white flag.  :)

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2008, 11:42:32 AM »

Rawdog--Sorry if I have pissed you, not really sure why stating my opinion has caused you to get pissed off. I stand by my comments. I think any MU fan should be happy that we have D1 talent locally. Confused on how or why that would be a point to diasgree on.

wtf?  pissed off?  ...  i don't see where you keep thinking i'm writing that mu fans should be pissed about the level of local talent.  Do you even read posts before responding?  I even put an f'ing smilie face on my last one, and i hate those things.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2008, 01:09:05 PM »
Rawdog---Glad to hear it. Actually I thought your smiley face was in reference to your podcast comment. I did read your posts and most of your posts. If I misunderstood my apologies. For some reason I thought you were mocking my comments.

Big Daddy Z

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2008, 07:32:48 PM »
our problem is we do not have a PG for 09....and in the BE you need a stud to get it done...we are heading for the St John's level unless we pull one out of JUCO & also recruit a 4-5* freshman....end of story.

feedback