[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MU82
[Today at 12:54:04 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If MU fails to make the NCAA tourney...  (Read 10019 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: If MU fails to make the NCAA tourney...
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2006, 04:42:02 PM »
Hey, I think I recognize that thought process and style of writing.  Welcome to the board '84.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2006, 07:49:20 PM »
Oh, please, Marquette84.  Same old same old.

You full well know the difference between the intensity of a tie game, versus the intensity of a game that one team has led from the start, with double digit leads near the end.    You know full well that defense changes from preventing scoring, to preventing quick scoring and not fouling.  So, sure, no coach will ever say to his boys "it's over, don't try any more" which isn't what I said, anyhow.

**Yeah, right.  When the opposing teams fans fill 30% of your seats, it gives you a bigger home court advantage.

I didn't say that, now did I?   What I did say was that the BC was packed to the gills, all yelling, and admitted it was electric even with 30% opposing fans. 

While there's no boxscore stat that shows the UW players' mindset, I can't imagine they considered the BC anything but a very hostile environment.  Would it be more hostile with 30% more MU fans, mostly in the rafters?  Sure.  More.

As to your DePaul comments, I can't speak to them, as I've never gone to an @DePaul game.  From reports, it sounds like the scales are tipped in MU's favor, with gold clad fans not just in the upper deck, but all over, thus the concept of "Bradley Center South".  If true, that's very different than the UW@MU game, where the MU fans still outnumber the UW fans by a wide margin, AND a high chunk of the UW fans are in the upper endzone of the BC.

** Basically, for all of the 2nd half, it was a 2 to 4 possession game.  The final score reflected a 2 possession game.

While true, the 2nd half was mostly played where MU needed 2-4 possessions of scoring followed by UW not scoring, it was doubtful that wasn't going to happen, as UW answered every call.  When you're behind by 2-4 possessions, and your opponent is shooting a blistering 57% (2nd half) you need to hit, what, 80%?  It was obvious that the chances of that happening were slim (even with shooting a healthy 48% in the 2h.)

Clearly, the overall issue is whether the meager couple of buckets, 4 points, was indicative of the scale of this HOME loss.  Most (admittedly not all) people who've voiced an opinion here believe we had our butts handed to us.  How examining one game and, for the reasons set forth in about a dozen+ posts, believe MU's performance was sub-par is a "reflexive behavior" I know not.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2006, 07:59:39 PM »
Most (admittedly not all) people who've voiced an opinion here believe we had our butts handed to us.

Most?  Hm, this sounds like a good poll.  I kinda' wish we could just move on, but hey it's kinda fun.  8)

Warriors Forever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2006, 08:02:10 PM »
Hey guys. You are being suckered into this by three bagder trolls. williewampum has been around only when we play the UW hyphen rodents. you don't get the marquette ballin' joke? "bawlin" and tomahawkchop. Read all their posts. You will see it is a bunch of jag bagders with nothing else better to do.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2006, 08:04:39 PM »
ahh yes.. MU hosting DePaul at the allstate arena.. them der were the days!  *snickers and chants "this is our house" clap clap clap-clap-clap*

when most of the depaul fans that DID show up did so wearing paper bags over their heads..  ;D

as depressing as this topic is supposed to be I think I've gotten more laughs and smiles out of it than any other recently :)
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2006, 09:38:06 AM »

**Yeah, right.  When the opposing teams fans fill 30% of your seats, it gives you a bigger home court advantage.

I didn't say that, now did I?   What I did say was that the BC was packed to the gills, all yelling, and admitted it was electric even with 30% opposing fans. 

Actually, you did say our home court advantage was larger than usual. 

While there's no boxscore stat that shows the UW players' mindset, I can't imagine they considered the BC anything but a very hostile environment.  Would it be more hostile with 30% more MU fans, mostly in the rafters?  Sure. 

Based on having 30% of those in the house rooting them on, I would think that they would consider it more of a neutral court (as opposed to a hostile one)--much like a Big 10 or NCAA tournament audience.  No, its not their court--neither are the tournament games.  But they had enough of a contingent there to make it a bit more friendly than a venue compared to one where all the fans are rooting against you.

While true, the 2nd half was mostly played where MU needed 2-4 possessions of scoring followed by UW not scoring, it was doubtful that wasn't going to happen, as UW answered every call.

Actually, you mean it was doubtful that was going to happen. ;D

And I didn't have that doubt--I fully expected that MU was going to continue to make a run at UW and not just close the gap, but take the lead.

I guess this epitomizes the optimist/pessimist view.

Pessimist:  We've made 3 or 4 runs--and can't close the gap.  We're gonna lose.
Optimist:  We've made 3 or 4 runs--the other guys can't pull away.  We're gonna win.

In a game played in a -4 to -10 point margin
Pessimist:  -10 reflects how uncompetitive the game was.
Optimist:  -4 reflects how competitive the game was.

Most (admittedly not all) people who've voiced an opinion here believe we had our butts handed to us. 

Actually, according to the poll, its closer to 50/50.

Wisconsin is a good team--no shame in losing to them, and we made it close.  A couple more things go our way (one more defensive stop, one more offensive basket), and we win the game.

feedback