[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MU82
[Today at 12:54:04 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bullish on Next Year  (Read 10041 times)

LAZER

• All American
Re: Bullish on Next Year
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2016, 11:16:23 AM »
I think I am being realistic, Aggie. I have long been a champion of the current staff but this past season was disappointing and I can't see how next year will be any better.

What were your expectations for this season?

I agree with your overall sentiment towards next year, but looking at this team coming in to this year they performed as reasonably expected.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2016, 11:23:32 AM »
this is garbage - these kids aren't assets in some f'ing corporation -

Garbage, huh? If you haven't figured out that Div I college sports is a big business then you are woefully naive. And the principles of efficient management most definitely apply to the running of a college basketball team.

You might not agree with my sentiment that Marquette will struggle next year but do not kid yourself that this is a business operation.

Marquette doesn't invest in the program because the Society of Jesus likes basketball. The University sees it as a strategic investment and they have every right to expect a return - both intangible and quantifiable.

Those kids are assets and Wojo is being paid to deliver on that investment.

Death on call

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2016, 11:33:19 AM »
What were your expectations for this season?

I agree with your overall sentiment towards next year, but looking at this team coming in to this year they performed as reasonably expected.

Yep. They were right about where I expected. Exceeded/met my expectations in non con (11-2). Fell about a game short in conference.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2016, 11:46:54 AM »
I think I am being realistic, Aggie. I have long been a champion of the current staff but this past season was disappointing and I can't see how next year will be any better.

At best, Marquette is treading water and I think next year we actually regress.

Let there be no doubt: I care more about Marquette basketball than any other sports team (including Michigan football) but I do not see us making the progress we should reasonably expect.

Next year could be better but I am seeing more subtraction than addition.

I honestly don't understand the disappointment. We got 20 wins, are fighting for a postseason bid, improved by 4 conference wins, and did it all with the 8th youngest team in D1. That's an accomplishment. And while you may try to say there was no improvement, the stats tell a completely different story. Go back and check some of the charts from Henry Sugar. We've been trending up all season. And I've already rehashed my argument repeatedly about why Henry leaving doesn't mean we will regress. I am confident that this team will be better next season (assuming no other major defections).

The future is bright Crash.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2016, 11:59:58 AM »
Guys

I know most out there think my thoughts are crazy, but I do not share any bullish sentiment. As Keefe noted, at best we are treading water. We are slipping faster than many want to admit and believe I can prove that to some extent from purely eye test. Ask yourselves the following questions:

1. Did you leave more home game tickets in the drawer or giveaway this year vs. previous years?
2. Did you watch the games you blew off in from start to finish?
3. If MU ball comes up in everyday conversation do you find yourself digging deeper to provide "true" optimism?

My point is simple, the program is slowly slipping. Not jump off a cliff slipping, but if truthful I would think more fans have to dig deep to find true bullish beliefs for next season.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2016, 01:10:02 PM »
Sandy and Sacar transfer. Get 2 worthy BIGS>

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2016, 01:45:07 PM »
Sandy and Sacar transfer. Get 2 worthy BIGS>

Sacar is not transferring. He came here knowing he'd have to work to play alot as an upperclassmen and chose that route over going to a smaller school. He wanted the challenge. He's not going to bail.

Sandy....I doubt he bails but idk

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2016, 01:51:17 PM »
In general, I agree with your skepticism of next year's optimism, and that MU should expect more for its investment.

However, I can and will show empirical evidence of improving over the course of the year.

Looking forward to seeing your analysis.  Aside from Sandy, and Fish being up and down, I think everyone has improved during the year. 
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2016, 02:10:08 PM »
i hope I'm wrong, but I expect a frustrating year coming up. 

Here's the scenario I envision:  With HE gone, Du feels it's his turn to be the man and tries to take over games especially late in the contest. And the forced shots and turnovers costs us.  Just my opinion.  Like I said, hope I'm wrong.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2016, 02:20:06 PM »
T Bone

One thing on guys improving, it does not hurt having a double-double machine in the lineup. Luke and HC benefited a great deal from HE being on the court. No disrespect to either one of them but HE tilted the court more than most think.

On that note, the improvement of JJJ in past two months is the most impressive thing I have seen at MU ball in a long time. Aside from greatly improved I really do believe he has a big time player and I mean big time player on national scale. He took over stretches on games and made it look easy. Have always been big fan of his and happy for the kid!!

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2016, 03:17:52 PM »
T Bone

One thing on guys improving, it does not hurt having a double-double machine in the lineup. Luke and HC benefited a great deal from HE being on the court. No disrespect to either one of them but HE tilted the court more than most think.

On that note, the improvement of JJJ in past two months is the most impressive thing I have seen at MU ball in a long time. Aside from greatly improved I really do believe he has a big time player and I mean big time player on national scale. He took over stretches on games and made it look easy. Have always been big fan of his and happy for the kid!!

I agree. That having HE makes everyone better. 

I'm saw improvement (perceived on my part, numbers might tell a different story) in players like HC and TC.  They are far better than at the beginning of the season and even better than they were at the start of conference play.  Both offensively and defensively. 
Henry's improvement was obscured by starting at a high level.  Aside from Iowa he was in double figures every game.  However as competition improved, he maintained those numbers. Tough to do as you move from cupcake to conference.  He is a much better player than he was. Offensively, I'm not touching his defense...

I miss statsheet.

And regarding JJJ, keep in mind he had that weird windup on his shot that was slow and inconsistent. As he grows more comfortable with his new form, sky's the limit.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 03:19:55 PM by T-Bone »
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2016, 03:48:33 PM »
Henry's improvement was obscured by starting at a high level.  Aside from Iowa he was in double figures every game.  However as competition improved, he maintained those numbers. Tough to do as you move from cupcake to conference.  He is a much better player than he was. Offensively, I'm not touching his defense...

For Henry, look at his efficiency. Yes, he was in double digits, but he was very inefficient the first 8 games of conference play once the season started for real. We needed him out there for his rebounding, but his high usage coupled with low eFG% was hurting us.

The rest of the way (after Stetson) he really turned it up. Honestly, Henry has been playing at close to an All-American level since the end of January. His offensive rating, eFG%, 3PFG% are all up. His shot selection is better, and he's doing it while still rebounding at the same level. Kid has really turned it up the past 6 weeks. Can't even imagine what he'd be like if he came back next year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2016, 05:11:36 PM »
For Henry, look at his efficiency. Yes, he was in double digits, but he was very inefficient the first 8 games of conference play once the season started for real. We needed him out there for his rebounding, but his high usage coupled with low eFG% was hurting us.

The rest of the way (after Stetson) he really turned it up. Honestly, Henry has been playing at close to an All-American level since the end of January. His offensive rating, eFG%, 3PFG% are all up. His shot selection is better, and he's doing it while still rebounding at the same level. Kid has really turned it up the past 6 weeks. Can't even imagine what he'd be like if he came back next year.

I would say HE and JJJ have really turned it up over the final third of the season.  Carter looks much improved from beginning of the year as well.  So why did this team not take it to another level?  Why did we get blown out in 2 of our last 3 games.  Why did our defense look worse at the end of the year?  I think that all goes back to Wojo.

murara1994

• Starter
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2016, 06:02:40 PM »
I would say HE and JJJ have really turned it up over the final third of the season.  Carter looks much improved from beginning of the year as well.  So why did this team not take it to another level?  Why did we get blown out in 2 of our last 3 games.  Why did our defense look worse at the end of the year?  I think that all goes back to Wojo.

Christ, look who we lost to. Butler, X, Nova. A tournament team, a 2 seed, and a 1 seed. We did improve, but these teams were just better.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2016, 02:10:51 PM »
Sandy's production and impact dropped dramatically once Wojo dropped him from the starting 5.  He was not good coming off the bench.  Why that is, I have no opinion at all.  But Wojo needs to figure out how to get the best out of him. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2016, 02:12:37 PM »
Sandy's production and impact dropped dramatically once Wojo dropped him from the starting 5.  He was not good coming off the bench.  Why that is, I have no opinion at all.  But Wojo needs to figure out how to get the best out of him.

Perhaps you are confusing cause with effect.
Have some patience, FFS.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2016, 02:15:16 PM »

The best for Sandy is to transfer as he does not have an offensive game that is Big East ready.  Shot takes way to long to get off and has no mid-range game.  But
since he will not transfer he needs to re-vamp his shot much like JJJ did last summer.  They have to break it down and start over.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2016, 02:34:50 PM »
Perhaps you are confusing cause with effect.

I question why Wojo yanked him from the starting 5.  He was playing well while a starter, he wasn't a star, but a contributor.  He never contributed in one game off the bench.  Butler game doesn't count, it was all garbage time production.  Some guys just aren't good coming off the bench.  Duane was playing well in a reserve role early in the season.  JJJ contributed in whatever role he was given.  What was the compelling reason to bench Sandy for good after about mid-January and reduce him to   non-factor?   Wojo could have made it work better with the personnel he had.

I still like and believe in Wojo, and have been a fierce defender of him on this board, but I don't think he managed personnel very well once they got into conference.  He took a guy who was productive in Cohen and he became a non-factor when his role was changed.  That's on the coach and his staff. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 02:38:11 PM by HutchwasClutch »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2016, 03:05:44 PM »
I question why Wojo yanked him from the starting 5.  He was playing well while a starter, he wasn't a star, but a contributor.  He never contributed in one game off the bench.  Butler game doesn't count, it was all garbage time production.  Some guys just aren't good coming off the bench.  Duane was playing well in a reserve role early in the season.  JJJ contributed in whatever role he was given.  What was the compelling reason to bench Sandy for good after about mid-January and reduce him to   non-factor?   Wojo could have made it work better with the personnel he had.

I still like and believe in Wojo, and have been a fierce defender of him on this board, but I don't think he managed personnel very well once they got into conference.  He took a guy who was productive in Cohen and he became a non-factor when his role was changed.  That's on the coach and his staff. 

Cohen started the first six BE games and played 30 mpg.  He went 13/31 in those games (.419) and 2/10 from 3 (.200).  Averaged 6.5/3.0/3.0.

Not terrible.  But hardly stellar.  Can't blame Wojo for wanted to switch things up.

Even after he was moved to the bench, he got plenty of time.  Double digit minutes in 6 of the next 7 games.  Including 20+ in three of them.  He didn't shoot bad in those appearances.  He barely shot the ball at all.

Struggling to see how this is Wojo's fault.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2016, 03:24:09 PM »

Cohen started the first six BE games and played 30 mpg.  He went 13/31 in those games (.419) and 2/10 from 3 (.200).  Averaged 6.5/3.0/3.0.

Not terrible.  But hardly stellar.  Can't blame Wojo for wanted to switch things up.

Even after he was moved to the bench, he got plenty of time.  Double digit minutes in 6 of the next 7 games.  Including 20+ in three of them.  He didn't shoot bad in those appearances.  He barely shot the ball at all.

Struggling to see how this is Wojo's fault.

I'm including what he did as a starter throughout non-conference too, not just looking at BEast by itself.  Wojo trusted him enough in the Badger game to run a play for him late in the game, in which he delivered.

Agreed he wasn't anything stellar as a starter, but like I said, at least he was contributing.  He fell off a cliff as far as production when he fell out of the starting 5.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2016, 03:34:47 PM »
I'm including what he did as a starter throughout non-conference too, not just looking at BEast by itself.  Wojo trusted him enough in the Badger game to run a play for him late in the game, in which he delivered.

Agreed he wasn't anything stellar as a starter, but like I said, at least he was contributing.  He fell off a cliff as far as production when he fell out of the starting 5.

OK.  So how is this Wojo's fault?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2016, 04:12:35 PM »
I'm hoping for big things from Sandy (notice I said hoping, not expecting). If we are going to lose Henry and run a 4 guard offense, Sandy is the best candidate to start in the 4 spot. He's got the height and he has shown that he can guard forwards who are bigger and stronger than him (his work on Nigel Hayes comes to mind) but his rebounding and offense is simply not BEast caliber at this time. We need him to hit the gym and add some strength. I agree with Hoopster when he needs to have his shot completely broken down and built back up. It takes too long to get off. If he can speed up his release without sacrificing accuracy, he could be a serviceable guard-forward next season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2016, 04:45:36 PM »

OK.  So how is this Wojo's fault?

Maybe I was being too critical of Wojo while excluding Cohen's own responsibility in his disappearance.   There's also the fact of Cohen being a sophomore, this season being his first one of meaningful and significant minutes after being used very little last year, and the natural development process which happens with most players at this level.   

But the coach and his staff need to determine players roles which will help bring out their best play.  And I think it's fair to question if Wojo did that with Cohen this year.   
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 04:49:19 PM by HutchwasClutch »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2016, 06:07:37 PM »
Wojo sees something in Sandy. That's why he got the minutes he did.

i think he did initially, but chilled on him as the season wore on.  foul troubles, turnovers and some kind of disciplinary issue that although some of you may know what it was, i never did hear.  i would love to see him correct/improve on those weaknesses mentioned.  i like his size and potential shooting abilities.  6'5" shooting the trey baby
don't...don't don't don't don't

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2016, 07:16:41 PM »
Guys

I know most out there think my thoughts are crazy, but I do not share any bullish sentiment. As Keefe noted, at best we are treading water. We are slipping faster than many want to admit and believe I can prove that to some extent from purely eye test. Ask yourselves the following questions:

1. Did you leave more home game tickets in the drawer or giveaway this year vs. previous years?
2. Did you watch the games you blew off in from start to finish?
3. If MU ball comes up in everyday conversation do you find yourself digging deeper to provide "true" optimism?

My point is simple, the program is slowly slipping. Not jump off a cliff slipping, but if truthful I would think more fans have to dig deep to find true bullish beliefs for next season.
I disagree with this analysis.

I am assuming Henry leaves and I still believe we will be an improved team next year.

First, Our coaching staff will be more experienced. I have not been a huge fan of this group over the last two years, but I do see signs of improvement. We did win many of the close games this year.  I think our coaching staff can move from bottom third of the league to middle third of the league, based on combination of recruiting and game coaching.

Second, As has been pointed out by others, we have a very high percentage of our offensive production coming back. Haanif, JJJ and Duane will be a very strong trio. Luke will continue to progress and reduce his fouls. Those four guys  are all effective offensive players. In addition they all have something to bring to the table defensively. Finally, JJJ is the kind of player , when playing well, tends to bring the best out in the other players because of his passing and willingness to look to others first. 

Third, Our point guard situation will be solid from day 1. Carter showed steady improvement all year long and most importantly has all the requisite point guard skills.  He will be even better next year. Rowsey, is a proven D1 point guard ,with over 1000 career points already, who has had a year to build chemistry and work with the team. He is in an ideal position, as there are others around to shoulder the burden, and I thus expect him to be a more efficient scorer.

Fourth , Heldt will move into his sophomore year with some experience and is positioned to give us 12-15 solid minutes as a back up to Luke. Similarly, Wally will be an experienced 5th year senior and we can get some solid energy minutes from him. Sacar will have more chances to demonstrate his ability and grow.

Fifth , Sandy will use the summer to bulk up and work on his shot. He will find a role because of his defense.

Sixth, We will not have to depend on freshman next year. Hauser could possibly red shirt.

We are obviously going to need to find someone to help replace Henry's rebounds and size. I am confident that the coaching staff is working on this. A JUCO or a grad transfer will likely be in the picture . In the past they have not been willing to take a player for the sake of taking a player, but I think with two years of Big East under their belt they will take a more pragmatic approach.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire