[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MU82
[Today at 12:54:04 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: .4773  (Read 10032 times)

Texas Western

• All American
« on: January 18, 2014, 05:16:57 PM »
Derricks free throw percentage .On what basis can playing time in the last 10 minutes of the game be justified?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: .4773
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 05:48:00 PM »
Derrick was a bright spot in this game. I'm not arguing that his FT shooting is acceptable but its an odd time to call for his head
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 06:02:28 PM »
Derrick was a bright spot in this game. I'm not arguing that his FT shooting is acceptable but its an odd time to call for his head
Keep him out of the game at crunch time is what I think is required. He is too much of a liability.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 06:09:36 PM »
7.7% (1-13), the three point percentage from the two SGs. And your worries about Wilson going 1-3 from the line?

Maybe if MU is ahead in the final minute Buzz will do a offense/defense sub. But Marquette wasn't ahead. Let me guess, you're a Dawson fan....how'd he do today?? There aren't better options.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 06:11:14 PM »
Perhaps he could try granny style? 

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 06:19:09 PM »
7.7% (1-13), the three point percentage from the two SGs. And your worries about Wilson going 1-3 from the line?

Maybe if MU is ahead in the final minute Buzz will do a offense/defense sub. But Marquette wasn't ahead. Let me guess, you're a Dawson fan....how'd he do today?? There aren't better options.
Todd and Deonte can each run 30-35 minutes , will be more in the flow and force the defense to respect them. Jake and Derrick go back to being substitutes .

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 06:39:35 PM »
How about .370 vs .347?

DWil's FG% vs Jake's FG%

Abysmal! Tied for 8th and 9th on the team.

Guess who's 10th? DYLAN FLOOD!

SS Marquette

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 06:46:52 PM »
Perhaps he could try granny style? 

It worked pretty nicely for Rick Barry!

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 07:13:38 PM »
How about .370 vs .347?

DWil's FG% vs Jake's FG%

Abysmal! Tied for 8th and 9th on the team.

Guess who's 10th? DYLAN FLOOD!

Dawson's FG% is .250. It's not as if we have a better option than Derrick right now.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 07:21:52 PM »
Dawson's FG% is .250. It's not as if we have a better option than Derrick right now.
When we were up 7 early in the first half Dawson came in and turned the ball over and committed a foul. He is not the answer.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 07:39:08 PM »

Guy Rodgers

Death on call

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 07:40:42 PM »
When we were up 7 early in the first half Dawson came in and turned the ball over and committed a foul. He is not the answer.

Neither is the pg who has led us to a 10-8 record this season so far.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 08:24:10 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz-T30WZKo8

As Red Auerbach says in the above, "Do it the way that you can make it, that's the name of the game!"  Maybe D can try something crazy, cause he ain't making it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 10:40:27 PM »
Neither is the pg who has led us to a 10-8 record this season so far.

Does that include wins against Southern, Grambling, UNH, CSF, UIPUI, Ball State, and Samford? So, removing the cupcakes we are actually 3-8 this year. Brilliant.

A .230 Winning %. Our 1 & 2 FG% glows in comparison.

Death on call

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 10:48:19 PM »

In a close game at the end, a point guard who can't hit free throws is a huge liability. The other team can foul him at will and not get penalized fully.  Actually this is not the kids fault, the coach should not allow him on the court in this kind of situation

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 10:50:32 PM »
In a close game at the end, a point guard who can't hit free throws is a huge liability. The other team can foul him at will and not get penalized fully.  Actually this is not the kids fault, the coach should not allow him on the court in this kind of situation

We really do need to try something different because this isn't working. Buck stops at Buzz.

Death on call

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 11:02:54 PM »

I ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY love how fast we are to cast Dawson aside if he makes the slightest of screw up, when we have basically 14 games of complete garbage in 30+ minutes per game of PT to assess our current starting PG, that has "led" this team to a 10-8 record.

How anyone who has ever played the game at just the high school level, cannot understand, it takes about 3-5 minutes just to get into the flow of a game - can expect a freshman to just come in and from possession 1 start raining 3's and assisting buckets, is crazy to me...when said player gets generally yanked after 2 minutes of action.  Derrick had 5 turnover today, okay??  At least he tried to force the issue a little bit for once...and the price you paid was 5 turnovers in exchange.

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 11:59:07 PM »
I ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY love how fast we are to cast Dawson aside if he makes the slightest of screw up, when we have basically 14 games of complete garbage in 30+ minutes per game of PT to assess our current starting PG, that has "led" this team to a 10-8 record.

How anyone who has ever played the game at just the high school level, cannot understand, it takes about 3-5 minutes just to get into the flow of a game - can expect a freshman to just come in and from possession 1 start raining 3's and assisting buckets, is crazy to me...when said player gets generally yanked after 2 minutes of action.  Derrick had 5 turnover today, okay??  At least he tried to force the issue a little bit for once...and the price you paid was 5 turnovers in exchange.

Considering there are TV timeouts every 4 minutes, I sure as sh!t hope it doesn't take players 4 or 5 minutes to get into the flow of the game. Nobody would ever be in the flow of the game. If that's true we'd be seeing every college game at about 4-2 at the under 16 minute timeout. These are the best basketball players in the country. They prepare their bodies to be ready to go at any moment. They know what they need to do to stay fresh and ready to contribute. The "No flow because of all the subbing" just doesn't fly.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brandx

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 01:07:57 AM »

Just for the sake of fairness, Dawson is usually guarded. Derrick is 37% or whatever - unguarded.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 02:26:13 AM »

I think this was one of his worst games of the season.  I like that he tried pushing the ball, but I don't think he's very strong at it.  6-13 shooting, 5to, 3ast...he's had better days.

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 03:12:21 AM »

+1.5

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 09:10:37 AM »
Considering there are TV timeouts every 4 minutes, I sure as sh!t hope it doesn't take players 4 or 5 minutes to get into the flow of the game. Nobody would ever be in the flow of the game. If that's true we'd be seeing every college game at about 4-2 at the under 16 minute timeout. These are the best basketball players in the country. They prepare their bodies to be ready to go at any moment. They know what they need to do to stay fresh and ready to contribute. The "No flow because of all the subbing" just doesn't fly.

Clearly you have never played the game at even the high school level.  It is virtually impossible to contribute much of anything when you get 2-3 minute stints of run at a time. It's not about a players body being "ready to contribute, or "fresh," it's about getting a good opportunity to contribute - which 2-3 minutes doesn't allow.  Buzz threw Dawson in at the possession dead ball before the TV timeouts - the 2 or 3 times he got action, and Dawson was out after the TV timeout - you simply cannot impact a game on that short of run.

Dawson played quite solidly on the road at X - when Buzz HAD to leave him in the game for 8+ minutes of run due to both Derrick and Jamil being in foul trouble - the results were hardly ugly.  At this point, I can only hope Derrick picks up 3 quick fouls in the first half, along with Jamil  -and Buzz is forced to play Dawson for long stretches....and I'll guaran-GOD-tee you, it won't be ugly.  We'll look like a good basketball team again.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 09:22:53 AM »
Clearly you have never played the game at even the high school level.  It is virtually impossible to contribute much of anything when you get 2-3 minute stints of run at a time. It's not about a players body being "ready to contribute, or "fresh," it's about getting a good opportunity to contribute - which 2-3 minutes doesn't allow.  Buzz threw Dawson in at the possession dead ball before the TV timeouts - the 2 or 3 times he got action, and Dawson was out after the TV timeout - you simply cannot impact a game on that short of run.

Dawson played quite solidly on the road at X - when Buzz HAD to leave him in the game for 8+ minutes of run due to both Derrick and Jamil being in foul trouble - the results were hardly ugly.  At this point, I can only hope Derrick picks up 3 quick fouls in the first half, along with Jamil  -and Buzz is forced to play Dawson for long stretches....and I'll guaran-GOD-tee you, it won't be ugly.  We'll look like a good basketball team again.

So if a player is given 6 straight minutes with a 2 minute TV timeout dead in the middle (aka 2 separate 3 minute stints) he can be effective in those 2 3 minute stints because it equates to 6 straight minutes of game time, but if a player comes in at 15:55 coming out of the under 16 timeout and is subbed out at 12:50 he can't be effective because Buzz only gave him a 3 minute stint? Your math just doesn't add up. These are the top 1% of the population at playing basketball, they need to be able to be effective in short stints because that's what college basketball is, a series of short stints. You have timeouts every 4 minutes plus 10 timeous between the 2 teams. That's 18 timeouts in 40 minutes of basketball. You aren't going to see 8 minutes straight with no break in the action.

Dawson had 1 good game. Buzz sees this team 40 hours a week. We see them for 80 minutes a week. Buzz would probably be playing Dawson some more if Dawson would change this team from bad to good like you suggest.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 09:44:04 AM »
So if a player is given 6 straight minutes with a 2 minute TV timeout dead in the middle (aka 2 separate 3 minute stints) he can be effective in those 2 3 minute stints because it equates to 6 straight minutes of game time, but if a player comes in at 15:55 coming out of the under 16 timeout and is subbed out at 12:50 he can't be effective because Buzz only gave him a 3 minute stint? Your math just doesn't add up. These are the top 1% of the population at playing basketball, they need to be able to be effective in short stints because that's what college basketball is, a series of short stints. You have timeouts every 4 minutes plus 10 timeous between the 2 teams. That's 18 timeouts in 40 minutes of basketball. You aren't going to see 8 minutes straight with no break in the action.

Dawson had 1 good game. Buzz sees this team 40 hours a week. We see them for 80 minutes a week. Buzz would probably be playing Dawson some more if Dawson would change this team from bad to good like you suggest.

You simply don't get it.  And it almost seems foolish to try to explain it to you..but I will.  When a guy gets in a game, like Dawson has lately at the last dead ball before the next TV timeout - so say at a stoppage of play around the 16:45, 12:45, 8:45, 4:45 mark...and plays till the next dead ball below 16, 12, 8 and 4 - and then gets pulled - yes, very hard to do/show much.  More difficult if you are so concerned with making a mistake, or that you HAVE to show something "great" in those 45 seconds such as making a 3, steal, great assist - in a very small window of available time - in order to earn more minutes - you play tight/not relaxed.

Now, if I'm in a game at the 15:00 minute mark, and the 12:00 minute TV timeout comes at say, 11:30, and then I get to go back out on the floor for the next 3-4 minutes of game time - yes, I will show more/play better than in the above scenario.  Lots of coaches advise not coming in cold off the bench and launching a shot right away - get in the flow, break a sweat.

I'd liken it to this - a marathon runner, probably would tell you the first mile or two are more challenging than miles 3 - 20, and then miles 20-26 are most difficult due to fatigue - but there is an optimal middle level in there when you've broken a sweat, gotten totally loose, and the body flowing.

Basketball is a huge game of rhythm.  When it is constantly interrupted you get less than optimal results.  This is usually what Buzz and other coaches shorten their rotation to 8 guys.  The whole offense/defense subbing is of limited benefit too.

My issue with the team is simply that the player getting the most minutes is your worst Net Negative performer, and you've had 18 games to see if things can improve - and they aren't.  Give Dawson a legit opportunity for at least 5 games and see what you have in the kid - what if he shows real well?  You've now perhaps made your team better this year, but you also learn going into next year that you have a good/solid PG on your roster - OR if as you and the others in the Pro-Derrick crowd would suspect - you learn Dawson doesn't have it at this level (at least not as a freshman), and you return him to the bench for your highly ineffective Junior.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2014, 10:59:41 AM »
You simply don't get it.  And it almost seems foolish to try to explain it to you..but I will.  When a guy gets in a game, like Dawson has lately at the last dead ball before the next TV timeout - so say at a stoppage of play around the 16:45, 12:45, 8:45, 4:45 mark...and plays till the next dead ball below 16, 12, 8 and 4 - and then gets pulled - yes, very hard to do/show much.  More difficult if you are so concerned with making a mistake, or that you HAVE to show something "great" in those 45 seconds such as making a 3, steal, great assist - in a very small window of available time - in order to earn more minutes - you play tight/not relaxed.

Now, if I'm in a game at the 15:00 minute mark, and the 12:00 minute TV timeout comes at say, 11:30, and then I get to go back out on the floor for the next 3-4 minutes of game time - yes, I will show more/play better than in the above scenario.  Lots of coaches advise not coming in cold off the bench and launching a shot right away - get in the flow, break a sweat.

I'd liken it to this - a marathon runner, probably would tell you the first mile or two are more challenging than miles 3 - 20, and then miles 20-26 are most difficult due to fatigue - but there is an optimal middle level in there when you've broken a sweat, gotten totally loose, and the body flowing.

Basketball is a huge game of rhythm.  When it is constantly interrupted you get less than optimal results.  This is usually what Buzz and other coaches shorten their rotation to 8 guys.  The whole offense/defense subbing is of limited benefit too.

My issue with the team is simply that the player getting the most minutes is your worst Net Negative performer, and you've had 18 games to see if things can improve - and they aren't.  Give Dawson a legit opportunity for at least 5 games and see what you have in the kid - what if he shows real well?  You've now perhaps made your team better this year, but you also learn going into next year that you have a good/solid PG on your roster - OR if as you and the others in the Pro-Derrick crowd would suspect - you learn Dawson doesn't have it at this level (at least not as a freshman), and you return him to the bench for your highly ineffective Junior.

Here's my problem with this. You're assuming that Buzz has no idea what Dawson can do despite seeing Dawson practice multiple hours every single day. You're assuming Buzz only sees him for the 5 minutes he plays a game. That's simply not the case. If Dawson was as good as you like to pretend he is he would be playing much more, because Derrick isn't a good division 1 point guard. I'm not pro Derrick and I'm not anti Dawson. I'm pro winning and if a guy getting paid over $2 million/year decided one guy should play over another I'm going to assume he has his reasons to do that. Buzz isn't going to play a player solely based on loyalty at this level. Risk the chance of being unemployed (eventually if these results become the norm...obviously not happening just based on 1 bad season) and giving up $2 million/year just because you like the kid who's been here longer? I doubt it.