* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by BLWarrior91
[Today at 08:41:56 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brey wants to keep Big East Rivalries  (Read 10028 times)

robmufan

• All American
Brey wants to keep Big East Rivalries
« on: September 18, 2012, 12:36:38 PM »
What do you think the interest will be from a MU perspective?

"We're not in Philadelphia anymore so we definitely want Villanova, we want to go to New York with St. John's and keep DePaul and Marquette,'' Brey said. "We will be in the DC area with Maryland, but we'd still like to play Georgetown. Villanova, DePaul, Marquette, St. John's and possibly Georgetown are definitely the five I'd like to do.''

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/8395095/notre-dame-fighting-irish-want-maintain-several-big-east-rivalries-men-college-basketball

Knight Commission

• All American
Re: Brey wants to keep Big East Rivalries
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 12:39:09 PM »

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/8395095/notre-dame-fighting-irish-want-maintain-several-big-east-rivalries-men-college-basketball

The only way they can sell out Joyce for a nonconference game during a weeknight is to schedule MU. I say schedule them for a road game only if they buy us, which they should. Otherwise, a road game at a low end ACC school wont help us.  They aren't a rival anymore as far as I am concerned.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:45:05 PM by Knight Commission »

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 12:40:59 PM »
I gotta think they keep MU and DePaul.  Too much history, too many ties, and regional connections.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 12:45:10 PM »
I don't think it would hurt MU at all by adding ND as a Non-Conference opponent.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if they end up in a Pre-Season tourney within a couple years of ND leaving.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 12:47:51 PM »

Geeezzzz.  He just about named the whole Big East....If ND is that interested in playing all these teams shouldn't they have just stayed in the Big East?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 12:50:09 PM »
Geeezzzz.  He just about named the whole Big East....If ND is that interested in playing all these teams shouldn't they have just stayed in the Big East?

You're assuming that basketball has something to do with conference affiliation.  Understandable given that you are a Marquette fan, but just not true for football schools.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 12:59:09 PM »
I think MU should still play them.  Have them home opposite the years that we play UW at home.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 01:05:19 PM »
I think MU should still play them.  Have them home opposite the years that we play UW at home.

That would be a nice get. Buzz and Brey are friends, correct? Plus, with LW's obvious ND connections, it seems like a real possibility. An issue holding it back could be if the remaining Big East teams decide to refuse games with programs who have left.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 01:12:33 PM »

Seems like a no-brainer if ND is willing to do it.  Home and home just like UW and alternate the years so that when we're at UW we host ND and vice versa.  That way we've got a consistent basis for non-con games to start with.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 01:29:51 PM »
Agreed, add in a Home-Home with an SEC opponent and I think it's a good basis for a decent strength of schedule.  Also, as teh big east weakens, better OOC opponents will be needed

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 01:34:59 PM »
The only way they can sell out Joyce for a nonconference game during a weeknight is to schedule MU. I say schedule them for a road game only if they buy us, which they should. Otherwise, a road game at a low end ACC school wont help us.  They aren't a rival anymore as far as I am concerned.

Not a rivalry???  I think we have played ND in basketball 116 times... second only to WI.  On the ND side of the coin we have played them more than any other team.  More than Michigan State, Butler, DePaul and IU(68)...

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 01:43:52 PM »

In my era ND was definitely more of a rival than UW.  This is what I want. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 01:43:59 PM »
Agreed, add in a Home-Home with an SEC opponent and I think it's a good basis for a decent strength of schedule.  Also, as teh big east weakens, better OOC opponents will be needed

Heck, that might be the end of MU's conference alignment worries... just schedule home & homes with 20 different major programs every year.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 01:56:45 PM »
Screw Brey and ND. You want to ditch the Big East? Fine, go play with your new ACC buddies. If the Big East is so wonderful, perhaps you should have stayed.

That may be pride talking, but too bad. I'm a fan (not a coach or AD), so I can say what I want.

Go away, ND. You certainly won't make or break MU's schedule.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 02:33:40 PM »
Either you're with us, or you're against us.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 02:48:41 PM »
Screw Brey and ND. You want to ditch the Big East? Fine, go play with your new ACC buddies. If the Big East is so wonderful, perhaps you should have stayed.

That may be pride talking, but too bad. I'm a fan (not a coach or AD), so I can say what I want.

Go away, ND. You certainly won't make or break MU's schedule.

I really doubt Brey had any say in the matter. Not that I care.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 03:15:17 PM »
I would want to keep playing Notre Dame. However, there are not enough home and away series for this to happen unless both schools want to give up extrea home games.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 03:36:14 PM »

+1

I'm sure Brey hates leaving the BEast and his natural rivals.  ND should be totally open to a schedule that alternates UW and ND as home dates for us. 

Let's also not forget that it'll be a big money maker for MU as it promises an 18,000+ non-conference crowd during the non-UW years.  The question is when to schedule the series as UW has that first week of December locked in and you would certainly want the students on campus.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 03:44:52 PM »
ND needs Marquette. Marquette does not need Notre Dame.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 03:49:57 PM »

Welcome DFW.  We've played 116 times and the BC would be packed.  How is continuing that not in our interest?

Abode4life

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 03:50:46 PM »

Why do you say that?  I don't think either need each other.  Having said that, I wouldn't mind scheduling them, although I don't know if I would want to see them take a schedule spot with a Home and home indefinitely.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 03:59:20 PM »
In fact isn't a long term home and home with ND better than any similar situation?  Vandy for 2 years, LSU for 2 years, USC for 2 years, Michigan, etc?  Easy choice in my mind.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 04:10:39 PM »
25 years ago I would have cared if we played them or not. Game changed and there are plenty of other teams I could hate as much as ND. Them bolting to ACC almost makes me want to put them in rearview mirror. All that said, if it continues great and if it takes a break no problem here.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2012, 04:52:03 PM »
Either you're with us, or you're against agin us.

FIFY
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2012, 05:09:26 PM »
Welcome DFW.  We've played 116 times and the BC would be packed.  How is continuing that not in our interest?

Hey... as long as Georgetown is on our side, who needs ND?

Seriously... is Georgetown on our side?  If not, then we need to send an envoy to South Bend.  Maybe we can send LW there for an "extended" diplomatic mission.

[crickets]

Come on, people.  Nothing?  These are the jokes.  No way would I ever subject anyone to an extended anything in South Bend.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.